Start by marking “Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)” as Want to Read:
Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)

Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House #7)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  8,727 Ratings  ·  266 Reviews
Jack and Annie are whisked all the way back to the Ice Age in this
compelling Magic Tree House time-travel adventure where they meet woolly
mammoths, cave people...and fierce sabertooth tigers!
Published April 14th 1996 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sunset of the Sabertooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunset of the Sabertooth

Patricia
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-chapter
Simon
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book made me cold. The icy description of the landscapes and the howls of the wind blowing through made it very chilly. Not to even mention the fact that Jack and Annie were wearing their wet bathing suits, talk about cold!

Jack kept mentioning the possibility of freezing to death if they didn't find warmer clothes, and as a kid you roll that off as an expression. But reading this as an older, more logical thinker, I began to realize how dangerous and awesome these magical adventures were.
Emerald
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
“It spun faster and faster then everything was still. Absolutely still.”
Rosa Cline
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is seventh in the series of books the Magic Tree House. Although it is a chapter book my son and I sat and read it for about 30 minutes or so. Very interesting, keeping our attention. Just enough 'Science' to keep it educational but yet enough imagination in it to keep it fun too. Looking forward to reading some more.

This was wasn't disappointing after enjoying the first one as much as we did. Each book apparently will have a 'guide' to the two children in the book but to the reader-listene
Tomoya Sugiyama
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
-MAGIC TREE HOUSE serious, RANDOM HOUSE, RL2.2
-Oct 23rd=65min.
-7words
sibling,warp,snow-land,sorcerer,mammoth,born,flute
-question
1.Which do you like, too cold or too hot? Why?
A.I don't like both of them, but espercialy, I hate too cold, because, I can't bear without a heating.

2.Have you ever played the flute? (Yes)When did you do it? (No)Do you want to try it?
A.Yes, I have. However, when I was a elementary school student, I played the flute, so I don't remember in detail about it.

I did't understa
Stephanie Sykes
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book. I recommend this book to elementary kids and for all genders. This book isn't a chick-flick and is an easy read. There were two kids in this book, their names were Jack and Annie. Their tree house was a magic tree house. The tree house took them back to the Ice Ages. They had to find something that started with a “M”. The thing they found that started with a “M” was mammoth.
Heather
My generic review for the Magic Tree House books -

We've loved them all so far. They are fun, easy to read and contain quite a bit of historical information. We use them as read-alouds, but most elementary/middle school kids could read them on their own.

It does have a touch of 'girl power' at the expense of making the brother seem a little dumb. That kinda bugs. But it's not obvious and my boys haven't noticed. They think Jack is just as cool as his sister.
Norberto Leyva
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
“Sunset of the Sabertooth” is about Jack and Annie who go on their most wild adventure when the magic tree house sends them back to the Ice Age. They have to find something with the letter “M.” It ends up being a mammoth that they find. I recommend this book to elementary or middle school because of the adventures Jack and Annie experience.
ABC
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a little like Clan of The Cave Bear for little kids. LOL Jack and Annie go back in time to the Ice Age and see Cro-Magnons, animals, and cave paintings.

One thing I didn't like is that Jack and Annie ride on the back of a mammoth. I don't think that was possible??? Maybe it was magic....Whoooooo!
Samantha
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
Such a great adventure! This time, we head back to prehistoric times where we meet Cro-Magnon people, a Sabertooth Tiger and even a Wooly mammoth. Brr!!! Don't forget to put your reindeer skin on! Definitely not a swimsuit adventure ; )
Roxanne
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Edit to note (because I have been asked, and so I asked her) that this one is my daughter's favorite. That was out of left field.
-----
Really, they rode a mammoth? But I did like the cave paintings.
Joanie
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book #7 was a big hit. My oldest has really been enjoying these especially now as Jack and Annie are trying to find the items needed to free Morgan from an evil curse.
Nolan Young
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I read this book it was like it took me to a whole new world. And trust me if you read this you will stare at it non stop. You will stare at it every second of every minot of four-hours.
Bridget Matthews
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
As a child, I really only read the first two or three of the Magic Tree House books so it was really fun to try and read another one from the series.
Alex
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Jack and Annie found the Magic Tree House when they were running away from the sabertooth. I did not like this book because I do not like sabertooths.
Rick Silva
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am reading this series out loud to the Kiddo in essentially random order (well, the order in which he comes home from the school library with them). So this is in the second four-book story arc. Treehouse librarian/enchantress Morgan Le Fey is under a spell, and Pennsylvania kids Jack and Annie are collecting a series of "M" items to break the spell, with the help of a mouse named peanut. In the tradition of such great characters as Groot and Hodor, Peanut's entire language consists of the wor ...more
Amanda Carpenter
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

I decided on book 5 to start reading them aloud for my dogs enjoyment too. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen). Surprisingly enough the nerv
Maya Orama
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is About a brother and sister named Jack and Annie.It was early in the morning when Jack and Annie just got back from swimming class. jack wanted to Change his swimming suit before he goes on an adventure, but Annie just wanted to go to the magic tree house. they both went and found it, they climbed up the ladder and went inside. They both found a book that had a saber tooth on it and then wished to go there.then, the tree house spun and spun until it stopped. When they got out of the ...more
Jill
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: little kids who are just starting to read chapter books... haha!
I estimated that it would take me 30 minutes to read this... that was a bit generous. I think it took me thirty minutes to clean the whole bathroom AND read this, haha! But it is written for a 7-year-old so perhaps that is why.

My sister-in-law, who is a big garage-saler, picked up about 10 of these Magic Tree House books for my classroom. I haven't read any of them, but I figured I might have some extra time in third grade this week, so I pre-read this bad boy. It is about the Ice Age so I thoug
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Sigh. Can I just say that as a parent, I loathe these books? I mean really. I kept hearing about how great they were and I found a bunch at Goodwill, so I bought them. But after reading about 3 of them aloud, I started hiding the rest so that Logan can read them by himself when he learns to read because I can't read any more myself without inserting derogatory comment. Yes, they do spoonfeed a smattering of historical detail, but for me, it's not enough to have to wade through the repetitive dia ...more
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t heard of this incredible book series, then welcome! The Magic Tree House Books follow big brother Jack and younger sister Annie on some wild adventures. Each book takes them to a new place and time, from ancient Egypt to the Knights of the Round Table. Children learn about these place and are introduced to history and geography as well as excitement.

I started reading these chapter books at night to my kindergardener, who is hooked! We just read this week Sunset of the Sabertooth,
Elisabeth
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok, the writing could be a lot stronger, and for my own entertainment it would probably rate a 2, but it is a clever idea, my 5yo son loved it, and it gave us the opportunity to read the companion "fact tracker" which was actually really interesting for both of us. We've listened to a collection of Magic Treehouse stories in an audiobook before, but this is the first book that we've sat down and read ourselves. Because of the writing and formulaic nature of the stories I can imagine I'll get sic ...more
Mindy
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
From back cover..."The Ice Age is very cool...for two kids in bathing suits! Jack and Annie nearly freeze when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the time of cave people and woolly mammoths. But nothing can stop them from having another wild adventure-not even a saber-toothed tiger!"

Another fun addition to the Magic Tree House series! My children and I loves reading about the Ice Age and learning some fun facts about it! We especially enjoyed learning about all the neat things the Cro-Magn
Twyla
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Moe
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
-RANDOM HOUSE,MAGIC TREE HOUSE,level 2.2
-Time:10/12=30minutes,10/14=40minutes
-7word sammury:tree house-snow-cold-cave-picture-sorcerer-mammoth
-Discussion question
1.In this story,charactoes are in the Ice age.Which season do you like the best?Why?
-I like spring the best because it's comfortable climate and also I can see cherry blossoms in Japan!Cherry blossoms are the most favorite flower for me.
2.If you can go to the Ice age,what do you want to do?
-I want to see a frozen lakes and I want to ska
Yuina Kawase
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
DATE:Nov 13,2012
TIME:85 minutes
Random House MAGIC TREE HOUSE

7-word summary
sunset, magic, tree house, snow, cave, Ice Age, mammoth

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Q1 Jack and Annie went to the Ice Age. If you can go to a special place, such as other countries and universe, where do you want to go?
A I want to go to the North Pole and see an aurora. It's because we can never see the aurora even if it is winter in Japan.

Q2 Jack and Annie went to a cold place. Which place do you like colder or warmer? why?
A I lik
Miyu
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
1. Random House, Level?(RL:2.2)
2. 87 minutes
3. Ice age, Cro-Magnons, flute, reindeer-skin, sabertooth, trap, mammoth
4. Do you think the human beings existed in the Ice age?
-Yes, I think that the people like Cro-Magnons lived by hunting something.
5. This book is the 6th story of magic tree house. When characters are trapped, I wondered what happened next. I thought they are caught by Cro-Magnons and meet danger. I do not know why the sound of flute make sabertooth freeze, but flute is important t
Mary
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Jack and Annie are coming back from their swimming lesson and go into the woods and to the treehouse. They are guided to the time of sabertooth tigers. While they are there they stumble into a few caves. In one cave, they come close to a bear. The next cave, they find some coats made of reindeer skins. They borrow the coats and then when they are running from a sabertooth tiger while looking for the mouse (called Peanut) they fall into a trap. The man dressed in skins help them out of the trap a ...more
Lynn
Read this to my son, and he thought it was amazing. He loved hearing about the sabertooth tiger and Jack & Annie's adventure in the Ice Age. I found it to be a very pleasant book to read out loud to him. It was a very good length for a morning or afternoon read. As a bedtime book, you can read as many chapters as you feel comfortable. This particular book has 10 chapters and a total of 68 pages. This book does include some illustrations in the chapters. If you have a new reader or are just b ...more
Becky
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jack and Annie take another fear-filled trip with Peanut the mouse. This time, they end-up in the prehistoric ice-age and come face-to-face with a saber-tooth tiger! They fall into a pit dug by cro-magnun people and only manage to get out with the help of a sorcerer wearing an owl-mask and a wooly mammoth. The sorcerer disappears soon-after, but the mammoth sticks around to escort them back to their time-traveling treehouse. Once again, clever thinking, the book that Jack carries in his backpack ...more
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Amazing Magnetism (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #12)
More about Mary Pope Osborne

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)