Start by marking “Force of Nature: Mind, Body, Soul, And, of Course, Surfing” as Want to Read:
Force of Nature: Mind, Body, Soul, And, of Course, Surfing

Force of Nature: Mind, Body, Soul, And, of Course, Surfing

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  505 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Paperback
Published August 31st 2010 by Rodale Books (first published October 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Force of Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Force of Nature

Zena Wozniak
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
All you need to know is how big Laird's neck is to know that the dude is doing something right in his fitness regime. This book is a godsend for all who aspire to kick ass half as much as Laird does and always wondered what the dude eats to get a neck that big. (Answer? SO MUCH MEATLOAF. I made the recipe included for it and was kind of overwhelmed at the amount it made. For anyone else who may attempt, I'd suggest halving the recipes until you too are Laird-sized and have a giant neck to feed.) ...more
Leonardo Etcheto
A lot of interesting ideas, gives a broad view of his beliefs and training and then lets you go deeper with further research yourself. Not an in-depth to do book, but that is all right.
I was a little annoyed at all the glamour photography(shirtless, windblown hair, running through water repeated from every angle), book does read a little like the kind of bio that is handed out before a talk show that is all glowing about the subject. There is no denying Laird Hamilton is an exceptional athlet
Quicksilver Quill
In Force of Nature, legendary surfer and entrepreneur Laird Hamilton presents a wealth of information and inspiration, ranging from his philosophy on life to his epic workouts both inside and out of the gym. There is something for everyone in this book, and you will definitely walk away from these pages a bit wiser, a bit more adventurous, and a bit more excited about our world and the many ways to enjoy all it has to offer.

I was impressed with Laird’s simple but sound advice on risk-taking and
MindBodyGreen
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's great about Force of Nature is that you get a sneak peak into the world of Laird Hamilton--the greatest big-wave surfer, and arguably one of the greatest athletes in the world today.

Laird shares his workout routines (they vary), his yoga practices, and his fitness tips (like having a cardio "chaser" after weight training to flush the lactic acid out of your muscles and help recovery).

He also provides insights into his diet and includes "10 Foods That I love" (#1 is organic, free-range bee
Jessica
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: surfing or any sport fans
Shelves: 5-star
The title of this book is perfect because Laird Hamilton really is a Force of Nature. He is such a phenomenal athelete that it is amazing to read about his workout routines and his life philosophy. The book covers four areas: mind, body, soul and of course surfing. In each area Laird discusses his philosophy and gives tips for excelling in all areas of your life. He comes across as such a regular guy that it's almost hard to believe how amazingly talented he is. Even if you aren't interested in ...more
Derek Meier
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing photography and a lot of great advice on healthy, happy living. Includes much more than I ever expected on healthy eating and exercises (complete with a grocery list and photos of exercises).

This is a handbook on better living that I'll use as a reference guide before hitting the grocery store, the gym or Waikiki beach.

I have to agree with Laird that the best living on Earth is the life lived closest to nature. When we're away, we forget what's important. Must get back to nature....

Katrina Campbell
OMG! This book is amazing. Laird has life dialed in for all that is good and will help with all aspects of life. I have been recommending this book to all of my friends and family. It is certainly interesting for me given that it is Laird, but I think it would be just as appealing to my Mom, who is not really familiar with surfing or Laird. I read "The Secret", I thought it was a joke, complete garbage! Laird's book should be sought after like the following of "The Secret". Utterly amazing and i ...more
Pam Chambers
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure seekers. Sports persons, anyone who likes to read about the amazing endeavours of others.
Recommended to Pam by: My brother.

I first read about this extraordinary athlete in 'The Wave'. I then looked at some of the footage of him that's available on You Tube and was simple blown away. Laird has a respect for his world, his environment and his sport. Laird is an exceptional athlete - his talent and incredible story as an elite surfer is simply outstanding. I wanted to read more about him and was delighted to find this book that details his journey, his spiritual nature, his outlook on the world and his place in it and
Megan
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: work
This book was actually used in one of my training seminars for work, because of it's section on overcoming obstacles and achieving your dreams.

"Force of Nature" is a combination of stories, personal reflections, recipes, workout guides, inspirational thoughts, anecdotes from pro athletes, and of course surfing tips from famous wave rider Laird Hamilton. I really responded to Laird's commitment to excellence, yet laid-back attitude on a variety of topics. And of course, the color photographs of L
Mac
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange combination of exercise routines, recipes, pop-philosophy, and surfing techniques. Almost a coffee table book, but not quite. I don't know, I didn't hate it, and I learned some quick ways to make salmon. Laird Hamilton has clearly been spoiled by his charmed life, however, as he recommends things like 3-hour weight circuits and frequent trips to the beach as regular exercise. So, if you have unlimited resources, no job, and live in paradise, this is might be the book for you.
Victoria F
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have my Bible, then there's Gift from the Sea then there's this!

I try to live out so much of his wisdom - the pages are rich with simplicity in living life to its fullest, to truly feel and experience it's wonder and the photographs are awe inspiring.

Keep it in my kitchen and try to absorb a nugget from it each and every day.
Wendy
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to work hard and succeed in life
Working at the library, I run across interesting books.

This was one of them.

Some people are the 1% of the 1% of the cream of the crop. Laird, it seems, is just one of those people blessed with athleticism, intellect, drive, tenacity and discipline.

People like him give me strength to strive for whatever it is I want.
Mark
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great life philosophy on being an all around healthy person. Definitely want to start paddle boarding. Can't believe how Laird is still such a great athlete after so many severe injuries, such as five snapped ankles. His mindset of always wanting to be a good husband and father helped him make the right decisions in life to help him reach this goal.
Catania Larson
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. What he said resonated with me in many ways.

I am giving this only four stars because some of the pictures were really cheesy. I didn't mind the ones where he was surfing big waves, but the pictures of him gazing off in the distance kept making me laugh. Otherwise, great book.
Kristjan
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laird is a fascinating dude.... It's always interesting to find out what makes people like him click.

He's not a writer, but his ideas are easily expressed and easy to understand. The work out/nutrition tips are good; who wouldn't want to look like Laird? Only problem is that many of his suggestions don't apply to working stiffs who weren't born with supernatural athletic prowess like him.
John
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book. Great philosophical thoughts, ideas, and principles about life. I'll definitely be applying aspects of this to my life this year. Definitely going to go surfing and living healthier. Not quality writing per se but maybe it was Laird Hamilton's voice that I liked so much. Great book.
Melissa
Actually, I lost interest a little more than half way through because I was hoping to read more of an inspirational book. It's not bad, it just would've been better if it was shorter, to the point, with no workout routines and recipes.
Chris G
A little contrived in places, but an inspiring read nonetheless. The guy knows what he is talking about. His workout routines are great and some of the other discussions about life philosophy is straightforward and useful: "Live harder."
Maureen Flatley
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether you're a world class surfer or an aging grandparent, this book is a wonderful read full of useful information to help you focus your life emotionally, intellectually, physically and spiritually. I recommend it highly.
Jessi
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A really good coffee table type book. It's fun to read all the way through but also to skim and check out different sections. Great advice on all aspects of health, working out, eating and having fun in nature. Laird is a great guy and I'm glad I picked up this book, again.
Beth Holden
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a go to book for me when I am feeling down about my surfing or fitness. Laird is a no nonsense kind of guy. He has lots of good advice about fitness, stress, eating habits and dealing with fear. Great book for any type of athlete.
Greg Streech
Meh. Nothing exciting here. Some interesting pictures but as a combo fitness-nutrition-philosophy book, it's pretty dull. But Mr. Hamilton is an incredible athlete whose training thoughts/process is interesting to know.
Jason Mair
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the tips and tidbits dealing with health, workouts, eating, spiritual, etc.
Mike Bonitt
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very light and uplifting.
Maija
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The photography alone makes this book worthwhile. Laird's insight into living a holistic life is inspiring.
Wendi
Excellent all around book on health, nutrition, maintaining a balance, as well as some terrific bodyweight and gym exercises.
Garret Rose
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, surfing
Great exercise tips, food recipes, and life coaching!
Janie Franklin
Quick read, a few of the chapters were very inspiring. Other chapters just seemed to be filler information.
Ruth
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Inspirational!
Jaimal
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, Laird is flippin Aquaman. He's an inspiration to keep pushing yourself and keep trying new things, to not let fear get the better of you. I think this book is going to keep me young.
  • The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscles, Ending Emotional Eating,  and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight
  • Run Gently Out There: Trials, Trails, and Tribulations of Running Ultramarathons
  • Marathon: You Can Do It!
  • Swim Smooth: The Complete Coaching Programme for Swimmers and Triathletes
  • You Only Faster
  • Fit2Fat2Fit: The Unexpected Lessons from Gaining and Losing 75 lbs on Purpose
  • Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: A Medical Controversy
  • Six Months in the Sandwich Islands: Among Hawaii's Palm Groves, Coral Reefs and Volcanoes
  • The Thomas Sowell Reader
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers
  • The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond ""the Wall""
  • The Power of Rest: Why Sleep Alone Is Not Enough. A 30-Day Plan to Reset Your Body
  • The Longest Race: A Lifelong Runner, an Iconic Ultramarathon, and the Case for Human Endurance
  • The Shark God: Encounters with Ghosts and Ancestors in the South Pacific
  • Total Immersion: Revolutionary Way to Swim Better and Faster
  • Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands
  • The Faiths of the Founding Fathers
  • The Dangerous World of Butterflies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors, and Conservationists

“Your path is yours alone. And if it’s the path less traveled, that’s absolutely fine. The world doesn’t need more conformists. The world needs more people who create and question and search.” 2 likes
“I think the key to happiness is maximizing each day. So if you’re unhappy, here’s a simple prescription: Live harder.” 1 likes