Start by marking “Keeping Time” as Want to Read:
Keeping Time

Keeping Time

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  494 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Daisy Phillips is tired of being treated like an old lady. Sure, there was that incident with the lawn mower and the mud. And she did get trapped at the top of a ladder. But that doesn’t make her incapable of living on her own, as her son Dennis seems to think. Now Dennis is pushing her to sell the family home in Liverpool and move into a retirement community. To make matt ...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Broadway Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping Time

Trish
Jul 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
1 star/Fiction
Did not finish.

This sounded like such a good story and it got such high reviews here at GR that I was disappointed that no one mentioned that this book is written by a playwriter and reads as such. The sentences are so fragmented and disjointed that I couldn't get past the first few chapters.

Let me write the rest of my review with a taste of what you will find if you decide to attempt this book:

This is terrible, me saying. Really. Shared with family, laughing. Sigh, me. Toss book a
Tatiana
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to win a copy of Keeping Time through First Reads. It is the story of seventy-seven year-old Daisy Phillips, a Liverpool native who fell in love with one Michael Baker, an American solider, during World War II. Their romance ended abruptly when he went back to the States and stopped communications, Daisy never getting an explanation why. Now, looking for closure, an escape from her son who is trying to sell her house and put her in a senior center, and armed with only Michael’ ...more
Denise
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keeping Time is the story of Daisy, a sweet, plucky old lady trying to navigate the process of getting old gracefully. Her husband has passed away and one of her sons, Dennis, thinks she can't take care of herself and her beautiful old house and garden anymore. Of course there was the episode with the shower head she tried to fix and the one with the lawn mower in the mud....Desperately trying to prove that there is life in her yet Daisy goes jetting off to America hoping to find an old boyfrien ...more
Lynne Spreen
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: midlife, boomer-lit
I enjoyed this story so much that I read half the first night. I liked that the main character, Daisy, is an old woman, almost 80, and she's smart and determined. In fact, there are a half-dozen characters in this book who are over forty, and they're portrayed as smart and inventive. There are several related subplots going on at once, which makes the book much more interesting. The characters are well-developed; you can see them, and they're sympathetic and relatable. They have goals and fight ...more
Thomas Wilson
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my Book Club Reads, translated that means this is not a book I would ever go pick off a shelf to read. I always love it when I am pleasantly surprised and drawn into a book that I wouldn't naturally choose. I am especially surprised with books like this that take me by surprise, draw me in, and hold my interest until the end.

As a writer myself I try to guess or think about how I would end a story and see if it measures up. I do say I had a different ending in mind but was pleasan
Gwen
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages.
Wow! I fell in love with it when I started it. It was worth the one month wait to get it from the library. It is Stacey McGlynn's first book and it is a winner, at least in my book!! I could not put it down and read it in one day and a half. What surprises are in it I cannot tell you for I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. I will say it spans the ages and it should appeal to all age groups. We are all in there! Do sign up for it..........all libraries in my area have a wait list and I live in t ...more
Jenny
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. The story was sweet, and I loved the characters. The author did a great job of revealing the characters personalities and thoughts without over-explaining; just a brief sentence here and there and you get the whole picture on your own. A unique story-telling style with a fast pace made this a quick and enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to her next novel.
Kim
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was quite good, but the writing style drove me nuts. It was written in the stream of consciousness mode which really isn't appealing to me. I prefer the use of action verbs and sentence structure please!
Sandy Haramut
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought Stacy McGlynn's first book was wonderful. It's the story of Daisy and English woman going to America to find her lost love Michael. The writing had a different style which seemed to grow on me. Daisy was quite a lady. I'm sure you will enjoy her travels. Hope Stacy McGlynn comes out with another book soon.
Kay
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Skimmable novel--most sentences start with gerunds, not a happy style. Pre-fab plot lines jangling together--British woman getting older, son (mostly greedy daughter-in-law) wants her to move to senior cottages; long lost boy friend in USA, so reconnecting with cousins there bring out old family secrets and deus ex machina swoops in to tie everything a pretty package. No depth. Don't mean to be snarky, but I was so disappointed.
Meredith
A satisfying - though ridiculously unlikely - conclusion; sympathetic and engaging characters. By turns comic and sweetly sentimental. I was thrown at first by the writing style but quickly became accustomed to it. Misleading cover. I would recommend to one of those women coming in looking for "just a good story".
Glad Mcglynn
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally I picked this up because the author shares my name. Then,I couldn't put this book down ! A delightful, quick read. Poignant, the characters became my friends. When's the next book coming out ?
John
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept me hooked right to the end. McGlynn is adept at putting the reader right in the midst of the frenzied action when it occurs, like in the kitchen when the children, the husband, and the wife are all busy starting their day, work and school.
Ann
Apr 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure how this book made it past an editor because it was written almost entirely in sentence fragments. The story premise was good, but it was so poorly written, it wasn't worth trying to get through it.
Tracy
Nov 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A elderly woman from England travels to America to meet her family and try to search for an old beau. Somewhat Maeve Binchy-like.
Butterflycager
I hope that when I get to be Daisy's age that I have her spirit and determination. I found this book delightful, and I would highly recommend it.
Suzanne
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was my second free one from readitforward.com.
Diane
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I thought the story had great promise, I felt the style in which it was written was not as smooth as it could have been. At times it read like a narrative but just seemed "jerky" throughout.
Michelle Casey
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book was just what I needed! Very light and a tad bit zany :D
The premise of finding and searching for one's first love after having lived a full satisfying life at the age of 78 appealed to the romantic in me. Daisy's refusal to give up at home and take the daring chance and go to America was wracked with doubt but she kept determined and the ensuing adventure with her American cousins was very entertaining but also grounded in reality. But for the very end, things were not too coinc
Carole Landry
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful read. Follow Daisy, an 80 year old young at heart British grandmother, as she follows her heart all the way to Long Island, New York. She goes despite the disapproval of her two sons. The family she finds in the US encourage her adventures and she, in return, makes an indelible mark on their present and future!
I look forward to more delightful stories from this author.
Karen Hart
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeping Time is a very accurate insight of today's family

The disconnect, the reconnect; the distractions, and the things that really
matter In life. Very very well written, without being judgmental and stuffy. The love
That transcended years, and the hope that nourished it.
Amy
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book. Great plot, involving two older women and a family of 5 boys, their mother and father. Funny too! Would like to read more by this author, but she doesn't appear to have written anything else.
Joanne
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful book--very sympathetic intertwining characters, fast moving plot, across continents and time, and an unusual way of showing events in past time, partial sentences which keep the plot moving even faster. I am definitely looking into this author's other books.
Gina
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It's an easy read and a good story, just wish there were more books by this author.
Gaylon Holder
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet and uplifting book.
Denise
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't actually torture to read this, but it wasn't "good." The reviews I read kind of made the fragments and the ridiculous characters (or, perhaps the plot) slightly amusing.
Brenda
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It kept me laughing some places as this lady worked so hard to prove to her son that she was still capable of living in her own home and taking care of herself. Her son's wife wants her to sell her house to go into a home so that she and her husband can benefit from the sale of the house, and the money they will come into when she is gone, early!
Daisy isn't about to take this lying down. She finds a watch that was given to her back before she married her husband by a ma
Cathy Graham
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful and intriguing.

Thoroughly enjoyed the tale. It was part of a book club read and I was never bored with it. I am definitely going to pass the experience on to some good friends as well. I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did.
Joyce
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book Keeping Time by Stacey McGlynn. Although the writing style was a little rough, the plot more than makes up for it. The characters are wonderful and some of them seem to represent and embody a cliche---the harried middle aged career woman, the defiant teenager wearing his jeans low, the woman who just wants to shop, spend money and can't wait to get her money on her mother-in-law's inheritance, the middle-aged man giving up everything for a beautiful woman, the grandmother whose ...more
Maggie Bryan
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a delightful read. The tale of Liverpool-born Daisy and her American cousins kept me turning the pages past my normal 'reading cut-off time'. Daisy lives in Liverpool where her oldest son is determined to sell her home and put her in a senior apartment. Daisy is not ready for this and when she finds a love token from a US soldier she knew during the war, she decides to use the return of it as an excuse to visit her long-lost cousins on Long Island. When she gets to New yo ...more
Más Libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 1 Nov 03, 2015 09:46AM
  • The Gunman's Bride
  • Friday Mornings at Nine
  • Hating Olivia: A Love Story
  • The Life You've Imagined
  • Can't Hurry Love (Three Kisses, #3)
  • Sunset Bridge (Happiness Key, #3)
  • Hungry for Happiness
  • Julia's Hope (The Wortham Family Series, #1)
  • A City of Ghosts: Stories
  • Battle of the Dum Diddys (Rotten School, #12)
  • Under the Jewelled Sky
  • The Cloud Messenger
  • The Year that Everything Changed
  • Gifts of War
  • Every Day, Every Hour
  • Salting Roses
  • Chocolate Girls (Chocolate Girls #1)
  • Swimming in the Moon

“I think as you get older you become more of who you always were. You become a more concentrated version of yourself. You really learn who you are, why you're unique, who you've always been [...] There's a winnowing away of nonessentials, sometimes essentials, it's true, but what remains is your core, your essence, the real 'you,' and you realize you're still you without what you've lost as long as you still have all your marbles--or most of them anyway.” 14 likes
“I think as you get older you become more of who you always were. You become a more concentrated version of yourself. You really learn who you are, why you’re unique, who you’ve always been.” 3 likes