Start by marking “Tortoise Soup (Rachel Porter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tortoise Soup (Rachel Porter, #2)

Tortoise Soup (Rachel Porter #2)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Having transferred from steamy New Orleans, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agent Rachel Porter learns her new assignment in the Nevada desert is no picnic, either: three hundred and fifty endangered tortoises have disappeared from a federal hatching site. Rachel finds no shortage of suspects in the tort-napping: a trio of eco-nuts living in an ark, who fear the creatures are about ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Tortoise Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tortoise Soup

Jeannine Stewart
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Rachel Porter, US Fish and Wildlife Agent, is a cross between Stephanie Plum, Hetta Coffey and Anna Pigeon. Recently transferred from New Orleans to Las Vegas, she finds herself in a desert where government employees are disliked and distrusted by just about everyone, especially ranchers, developers and miners. Add to the mix the theft of 350 endangered tortoises from a government hatching facility, the murder of a desert recluse, a group of wacky ex-government environmentalists and someone dete ...more
Dixie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series...so on to book 3.
Dlora
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was interested in this series because it reminded me of the Nevada Barr books about a national park ranger. In this case, Rachel Porter is a fish and wildlife agent and in Tortoise Soup she is in the Nevada desert assigned to take care of the endangered wildlife there, particularly the desert tortoise. However, Jessica Speart isn't quite the storyteller that Barr is, and there is a little too much flag-waving about the environment for my tastes. Lots of fun wacky characters, a murder to start ...more
Galen Johnson
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agent Rachel Porter is sent to the Nevada desert, where work seems unexciting and politics seem to drive all decisions. She is called to investigate the disappearance of endangered tortoise hatchlings from a federal facility, and finds herself involved in investigating the murder of an old land owner, the bombing of her house and office, and the mysterious operations of a mine that seems anything but ecologically sound.

Interesting characters and setting, but somewhat unori
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Okay, I didn't finish it, but I read enough to feel like I deserve to put this on here and rate it. When I got to about the sixth ugly, miserable person who hates the protagonist and wants to do anything to stop her investigation, I got totally fed up. Why does everyone she encounter (except for the one smarmy handsome guy whom she thinks is sexy and who therefore will probably turn out to be the bad guy) have to be repulsive? Is she the only halfway decent looking person in Nevada? Ugh.
Ann
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A Fish & Wildlife agent new to Nevada tries to overcome corruption and indifference to prove a mine is killing birds & tortoises. Also, a breeding facility for desert torts is missing 350 babies. She finds many quirky people. Everyone is indifferent or anti-environmental. Lots of yahoos & crooks. Little about the desert or tortoises. Works hard to be interesting and fast paced. Not a bad read.
Janice
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is the second in the Rachel Porter series, and while I found the first book almost as good as Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series, that was not the case with this one. The story was still entertaining and held my interest, but the quality of writing just does not compare with Barr's. However, I still enjoy the environmental issues addressed, and will probably read more of the series.
Lynne
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was entertaining. It revolves around missing tortoise's. Rachel is a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agent. It seems to be pushing the conservation issue. It was a fun mystery. Not sure I would read another in this series.
Angie
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Pleasant enough attempt to emulate Nevada Barr, but the denouement was not at all credible. She'll have to plot better than this!
Amy
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is another book with great concept and poor execution. Disappointing at best. I think I need to stop reading fiction related to my field.
Tara
Mar 08, 2012 marked it as to-read
3/8/12 ~ Mom & I also went to the church 2nd hand store in Red Hook. I got this one for $0.25.
Kara Jorges
Sep 08, 2012
Dawn Van
Feb 09, 2014
Courte
rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2012
Michael T. Calkins
Aug 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Rachel Porter (10 books)
  • Gator Aide (Rachel Porter, #1)
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Border Prey (Rachel Porter, #4)
  • Black Delta Night (Rachel Porter, #5)
  • A Killing Season (Rachel Porter, #6)
  • Coastal Disturbance (Rachel Porter, #7)
  • Blue Twilight (Rachel Porter, #8)
  • Restless Waters (Rachel Porter, #9)
  • Unsafe Harbor (Rachel Porter, #10)