Start by marking “13 Horror Stories” as Want to Read:
13 Horror Stories

13 Horror Stories

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A collection of thirteen bone-chilling horror stories.
ebook
Published September 21st 2010

To ask other readers questions about 13 Horror Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 13 Horror Stories

Alain Gomez
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
With each tale ranging between 400 and 600 words, McDonnell touches on all the classic facets of horror just a little too briefly. I would classify "13 Horror Stories" as a collection of flash fiction rather than short stories.

Several of the stories had a very interesting premise that I honestly would have liked to have read more of. But each time the story cuts out before the tension is really built.

A good example would be "Don't you just love weddings." It's a conversation that's maybe 100 wo
Cherie
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
John McDonnell's 13 Horror Stories delight in a perfectly creepy way. Each one is short – think flash fiction size – and deceptively simple with their build-up leading to a surprise ending. Some of the stories made me chuckle, some made me cringe, but all last with the reader. These thirteen stories are wonderful to tell around the campfire or with a flashlight when the power is out. "Heart Stopping Beauty" and "Tick Tock" have a philosophical power to them. "The Box" was my personal favorite. 1 ...more
Michele Collins
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Title: 13 Horror Stories
Author: John McDonnell
Kindle Edition
ASIN: b004JF4MDI
Reviewed by Michele Tater for The Couch Tater Review

Horror is beyond the reach of psychology.~ Theodor Adorno

The stories in this fun read are short but are not, of course, sweet for they are horror stories after all. Although most of the tales are not what you would call overly “horrorly” horror stories, they do have a scarey element to them. Each having a different story line with a surprise at the end. Some leave
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

This was my first introduction to the writing style of John McDonnell. I am aware that this isn’t the first collection he has written and I am very keen to read the other collections and his full length novels.

13 Scary Stories has everything any paranormal lover would love. From Werewolves to Vampires throwing in Trolls and man eating animals it has it all.

The twists in these stories are very well executed and although I wasn’t scare
Martha Cheves
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
13 Horror Stories – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

As the title states – 13 Horror Stories is made up of 13 horror stories. They range from The Beauty Part, which is a story about a woman who didn’t accept rejection, to Stuck, which is a story about a man who can’t get the image of a tree, a car and the moonlight out of his head. You also have The Thing in the Basement. You can imagine what the outcome will be when Billy is sent to the basement as punishment – or can yo
Lynnette Phillips
Flash fiction is known by different names, sudden fiction, microfiction, micro-story, postcard fiction, but whatever name strikes your fancy John McDonnell’s 13 Horror Stories puts him in a category with masters of this genre.

Join the Beauty Queen, Billy and Uncle Hank, Nekhbet, Annabelle Lockard feel the fear…it’s so much stronger when the important fiction elements are only hinted at or implied.

“You wanted to feel fear, right?…Yes, I heard it’s the strongest emotion…”

John McDonnell believes i
Amy
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I found myself internally debating on how to rate this book and what exactly to say about it. This book was not as consistent as the last one I read. These stories were good, but they were not all "horror" stories as the title would suggest. I few were indeed creepy, and I did have my picks of the bunch. Sin of the Flesh and Prime Cut were my favorite. Although I did have to wonder what his motivation was for The Box. I'm sure it was not just a happy accident that two of my favorite deities were ...more
Amanda Lyons
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review for 13 Horror Stories by John McDonnell

Recalling some of the classic horror and sci-fi stories of the 50s and 60s 13 Horror Stories is a nicely put together batch of short horror tales. Each of them has its own style and unique twist ending for the reader. Removed from the violent hack and slash of modern horror these tales are just the thing for those fond of more subtle horror. Here you’ll find jealousy, betrayal and revenge as much as you’ll find horror.

My own personal favorites were
SATIN SUE
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was very gruesome but very inventive..it had some very shocking disclosures.

i dont normally read these kinds of books but for any one who does , i would recomend you give this book a try...
John
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: horror
Thirteen horror stories that will stick with you long after you finish reading them. This is horror that will make your hair stand on end even days later, as the memory of them "haunts" you. Yes, I wrote this book, but I would recommend it even if I didn't.
Charlotte Grant
its a good book and takes a while to read but its worth it. some stories are really scary some are thrillibg
Rob Bruce
Sep 02, 2017
Kimmy
Apr 04, 2012
Horror Writers Un...: short horror 1 4 Aug 12, 2015 09:49AM
Creative Reviews: Seeking reviewers for flash fiction collection -- horror and humor 4 8 Jun 03, 2011 01:58PM
John McDonnell writes romance, horror, humor, literary fiction, and just about any genre out there. It's all about the characters, he believes, and all good stories share the same traits, no matter what the genre.

More about John McDonnell...