Start by marking “Donovan's Big Day” as Want to Read:
Donovan's Big Day

Donovan's Big Day

Donovan's two moms are getting married, and he can't wait for the celebration to begin. After all, as ringbearer, he has a very important job to do. Any boy or girl with same-sex parents—or who knows a same-sex couple—will appreciate this picture book about love, family, and marriage.  The story captures the joy and excitement of a wedding day while the illustrations show ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about Donovan's Big Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donovan's Big Day

Julio Bonilla
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Donovan remembered there was one more very BIG job for him to do:

Even though this is a kid's book, the theme reminds me of the former chef at my job, who is a lesbian and a mean-ass bully. She would always snitch on me each time I'd accidentally hurt one of the dogs. This was 3 years ago. Hence, I became a houseman. POW!

Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Donovan has much to do in preparation for his big day...or more like his mothers' big day. They are getting married. I loved how the text was structured to represent the excitement of Donovan. The sentences are long and you can sense how rushed and excited and nervous Donovan is to make the day special. The facial expressions and illustrations also do a nice job of expressing that emotion.

Great book.
Shelby
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!
This was a great short story and I would read this book again and I would recommend this short story to anyone.
Baby Bookworm
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Donovan’s Big Day, written by Lesléa Newman and illustrated by Mike Dutton, a sweet story of a little boy and his very important day.

Donovan’s day is starting, and because it is a very special day, he has a million things to remember and do. When Grandpa comes to wake him, he must remember not to nestle under the covers and fall back asleep. When breakfast is s
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Miss Ryoko
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's so hard because I obviously want to praise LGBT friendly picture books... but I really didn't care much for this book. I really didn't like the story of Donovan having to do things exactly right and not do this and that. I'm happy his mothers were getting married and the last couple of pages was cute... but I didn't like the rest of it.

The illustrations, however, were much better in this one than in Heather has Two Mommies.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Donovan's Big Day by Lesléa Newman, illustrated by Mike Dutton
Tricycle Press, 2011, 32 pages

One morning, as Donovan wakes up, he remembers that today is going to be a big day and he has an important roll to play in it. But first, he has a lot to do to get ready. Get up on time, feed the dog, each breakfast, wash, brush his teeth, and carefully put on his new pants, his new shirt, his new jacket, and his new shoes. Then, he must put a very important little box in his pocket for later. Next, a dri
Molly
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is a picture book about a young boy named Donovan who explains all the things he must do to get ready for his "big Job' that he must perform at the wedding of his mothers. I think it is a nice story and I like the fact that the focus of the book is the role Donovan is playing in the wedding rather than the fact that it is the wedding of his two moms. Any kid can relate to the feeling of anticipation of being entrusted with an important job. I find that sometimes picture books about kids fro ...more
Crystal
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Donovan is super excited about his big day. I love how it builds up to what readers will finally realize is a family wedding. There's a lot of love and many warm fuzzies in this book that shows a boy excited about the marriage of his Mommy and Mama. I enjoyed the soft illustrations and how much expression is shown through the faces of the wedding participants, family and friends.
Hannah Givens
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, picture-book
SO CUTE. The whole book is about him needing to do everything just right for his big day, and all the little details like having to put on his jacket and buckle his shoes and wait and wait and wait and wait... The art is adorable and so is Donovan. And yes there's a same-sex wedding at the end and that is adorable too.
Margaux
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I legit just cried. Lesbian mommies. Donovan is the ring bearer.
Ben Truong
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Donovan's Big Day is a children's picture book written by Lesléa Newman and illustrated by Mike Dutton which pertains to a day that Donovan's been looking forward to – his big day, being ring-bearer to his parents' wedding. It is a book depicting a wedding through a child's point of view – it just so happens that it's a same sex wedding.

Newman's text is simplistic and flows rather well. One can feel the joy and excitement of a wedding through the eyes of Donovan who takes his responsibilities as
Alexander Smith
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Donovan's Big Day is a fictional book about a little boy who has to make sure that this day is perfect because it is a super special day and he knows he's got a very important job to do. This story is a little long and has some longer sentences so you would probably read this with a 3rd or 4th grade classroom but the story is so fun and structured in a way that will keep your attention. The pictures are very cute and they match the story extremely well and you can see in the facial expressions o ...more
Ali
I like that this story shows family diversity and shows children same-sex marriage in a positive way. The reveal of the big event was saved for last, and I felt like that took away from the purpose of the story. Kids may not be able to focus on all of the things Donovan does through out the day before the big event, especially because they are ordinary series of little events. I did not see much cultural diversity and I did not see much opportunity for exposure to multiple perspectives and value ...more
Emma Bleakman
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-structure
This book is a great read for a 3-4th grade class. The excitement that the books shows Donovan having really catches the readers attention. He is so excited the whole book and has to make sure everything is right for the wedding. I like how much love and happiness is in this book. By the end of the book you see that it's a same sex marriage but more highlights on the love and joy of the marriage.
Akena
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how this book is focused on Donovan's role in the wedding. His two moms are getting married and he will be the ring-bearer. He is very excited for this to happen and he wants to prepare hisself for it. Theres a lot of love from Donovan when it comes to his mom and i love how this can be represented in a book form. This is a big day for him and he wants to make sure everything is done right.
Annie Zagorec
I thought this was a good book. I liked how it was LGBTQ+ but the way it was written made it subtle, and not in your face. I think that children growing up in queer households would be able to relate themselves to Donovan’s family, and I think that all children would be able to relate themselves to Donovan’s character. Overall, I thought this was a good book with great illustrations and I would recommend it to all young readers.
Emilie Liebert
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
Donovan is a little boy who is so excited to be the ringbearer for a very special wedding- his two moms! He is so excited, especially that he has an important role in it. Everyone is delighted for his two moms, but none more than Donovan. It has vibrant, realistic pictures that bring the book to life. Ages could be from maybe 4 to 8, but this book keeps the topic simple and full of love.
Brooke Milone
Donovan is excited about his big day! His two moms are getting married. He makes sure that he is perfect, and everything else for the day is perfect for his moms. He checks everything before hand and fixes whatever is wrong. The book is so full of love and happiness, and the illustrations are beautiful as well.
Loyal
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fantastic LGBTQ+ book about Donovan's Big Day.
Donovan knows today is a big day. He has to make everything perfect. Wash his face, Comb his hair, don't make a mess! And say hello to a lot of people.
Today is the day that his moms are getting married! And he simply has to kiss the brides.
kristen Lawson
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy how the story focused on Donovan and his job for the wedding. The fact that there was a same-sex couple felt really normal and admirable. The pictures in the book were vivid and beautiful.
Michelle
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Decent story. Love that Donovan is going to his Moms' wedding.
Colleen
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had to blink REALLY fast to make sure I didn't cry on the desk.
Ann Ryall
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story 👭
Annburnett
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book about gay marriage. Need more books about all different kinds of families.
Rgrimaldi
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book that illustrated the marriage between 2 women and their son Donovan.
Peter
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very sweet
DeJa
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had a very good quality the illustrations where amazing and very intriguing making you want to look at them. I was a bit confused when I was reading this book though. The whole plot was lost to me. But its a book about Donovan and his big day. You wouldn't know what that day was though until the end. He’s the ring barrier for his two moms on their wedding day. It starts with him waking up and him going through his day till he completes his job of giving the two rings and kissing his mo ...more
Christian Wade
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Donovan's Big Day is a very cute book. This book introduces the idea of same sex parents and families through the eyes of a young boy. The build up in the book is excellent, as the reader you think you know whats about to happen until the big reveal, which was very special and full of love. I love how the book emphasizes how the boy is feeling, you can especially feel it through the vibrant pictures. The illustrations in the book captures the readers interest, the book is filled with vibrant col ...more
Karina
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-diversity
A story in rhyme is very fun to read, especially the story “Donovan’s Big Day” by Leslea Newman. In the book, a boy named Donovan prepares the whole day for his big job at his two mothers wedding. He does everything from putting on his bowtie to protecting the rings inside his coat pocket. He makes everything a big deal because he doesn’t want to disappoint his mommy and mama on such a big day. The story is a great book to read to children because it introduces a new kind of family. The author d ...more
  • Uncle Bobby's Wedding
  • 10,000 Dresses
  • Everywhere Babies
  • The Family Book
  • Stella Brings the Family
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • Elena's Serenade
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • William's Doll
Lesléa Newman (born 1955, Brooklyn, NY) is the author of over 50 books including Heather Has Two Mommies, A Letter To Harvey Milk, Writing From The Heart, In Every Laugh a Tear, The Femme Mystique, Still Life with Buddy, Fat Chance and Out of the Closet and Nothing to Wear.
She has received many literary awards including Poetry Fellowships from the Massachusetts Artists Fellowship Foundation and th