Start by marking “Notes from Underground” as Want to Read:
Notes from Underground

Notes from Underground

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  35,176 Ratings  ·  2,359 Reviews
Dostoevsky’s most revolutionary novel, Notes from Underground marks the dividing line between nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction, and between the visions of self each century embodied. One of the most remarkable characters in literature, the unnamed narrator is a former official who has defiantly withdrawn into an underground existence. In full retreat from society, ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1864)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from Underground, please sign up.

James Spencer No, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his…moreNo, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his alienation from society while existing on the fringes of that society. In other words I agree completely with your understanding of Dostoyevsky's use of the phrase.(less)

karen
oh, dear. this is not a character that it is healthy to relate to, is it?? he is a scootch more pathetic than me, and more articulate, but his pettinesses are mine; his misanthropy is mine, his contradictions and weaknesses... i have to go hide now, i feel dirty and exposed...
Nate D
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who overthink, people who think.
Recommended to Nate D by: dfw
Shelves: read-in-2009, russia
1. Irritated by Underground Man.
2. Amused by Underground Man.
3. Sick of Underground Man.
4. Want to fly to St. Petersburg, travel back in time, and punch Underground Man right in the face.
5. Pity for Underground Man.
6. Horrified by Underground Man.
7. Further reading of Underground Man's monologue almost physically painful. I almost wanted to cover my eyes, but this would have posed problems for reading.
8. Glad to be free of the Underground Man, but glad to have known him, in the end.
Ben
More than anything, this book should make you think. And not about trivial shit either, but about big, important conditions of life and how best to view and react to them. I have "should" italicized in that first sentence for a reason: If you don't give yourself time to think -- if just skim through the book quickly -- then you won't get anything out of it.

It's narrated by a guy living underground, in poverty. You are reading his notes. The first half, his ramblings, thoughts and philosophies of
Nataliya
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine 19th century Russian literature as a loud boisterous party. Here's Pushkin, basking in the center of attention, charming up all the ladies. Here are Chekhov and Gogol at the heart of a passionate intellectual argument. Here's Count Tolstoy, busily serving canapés while rejoicing in the pleasure of work, stopping only to chat about the pleasures of countryside with Turgenev.

But where's Dostoyevsky? Oh, there he is, sitting by himself in a dark corner, dead broke after a high-stakes cards
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Κατεβείτε σε αυτό το ΥΠΟΓΕΙΟ- σας συμβουλεύω ανεπιφυλακτα να κατεβείτε.
Θα συναντήσετε έναν αντί-ήρωα απομονωμένο,ευγενή,εγωκεντρικό που θα σας διαφωτίσει ως προς το παράδοξο και το τραγικό της ανθρώπινης ύπαρξης.

Η ελευθερία,η συναίσθηση,η αγάπη,η ανθρώπινη βούληση,το απρόβλεπτο και το αχάριστο της ανθρώπινης φύσης.

" Πρώτα πρώτα,δεν μπορούσα μα αγαπήσω,γιατι,το ξαναλέω,για μένα αγάπη θα πει να τυραννάς και να κυριαρχείς στην ψυχή του άλλου"

Με πολλή μαεστρία ο κάτοικος του υπόγειου μας εξηγεί π
Lisa
Bravo, Dostoyevsky! This is the perfect, absolutely accurate and universal portrait of the insecure, self-conscious egomaniac - pitiful and dangerous, on a negative quixotic rampage against himself, society and the laws of nature he despises but cannot change.

There are so many of these angry men (and women), and they don’t speak from the underground anymore. With modern technology, they have conquered the virtual world, spewing out their self-pity and hatred in long, inconsistent, frustrated tir
mark monday
Mar 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to mark by: Andrew Schirmer
so I came across this guy at a party that I had known in college, many years ago. I remembered him clearly: that brilliant, pretentious guy with his stories and his sarcasm and his nihilism. our classmates mocked him and so did I, but I enjoyed him too. he was a funny fellow, entirely self-absorbed, smart and well-read and amusingly melodramatic in his comments about the world and his life; he wore his pathos blatantly, like some kind of robe or badge or shield. I always thought that was brave o ...more
Araz Goran
" أيها السادة، سأخبركم حول الكيفية التي أضعتُ فيها فرصة النجاح في حياتي ...... بفعل الفساد الروحي والأخلاقي الذي أعاني منه، وبفعل الوقاحة الصلفة التي أتصف بها، وبفعل عدم تعودي على الحياة المُعاشة، وبفعل تراكم الغيظ والحقد اللذين نميتُهما في قبوي "
Sherif Metwaly

" أنا رجلٌ مريض، أنا رجلٌ شرير، أنا بالأحرى رجلٌ مُنفر. "

بهذه الجملة القصيرة، المعرِّية لنفسية بطل الرواية من أول لحظة، بدأتْ الرواية، وبدأ أول لقاء لي في رحاب خبير النفس البشرية الأعظم على مرّ التاريخ بشهادة معظم من قرأوا له. أن تفتح الصفحات الأولى من رواية فتجد في انتظارك هذا الاعتراف، لهو شيء مثير للاهتمام لدرجة أني ابتسمت!، نعم ابتسمت، فأنا: رجلٌ بسيط، أنا رجلٌ يحب الصدق، أنا بالأحرى رجلٌ مجنون.

حسنًا، لننشّط الخيال قليلًا..

أنا الآن أقف أمام منزلٍ قديم، يبدو مظلمًا وكئيبًا لدرجة لا تُطاق، ا
Garima

Shall the world go to hell, or shall I not have my tea? I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.

Thus Spoke Dostoevsky

There were many things for me to get excited about after finishing this novella (It’s a trap!) but the first and an essentially timeworn image which appeared in my mind was that of a small child, sitting in a corner after being rebuked by an elder for giving little or no thought about the world with its countless complexities and contradictions around her.
Salma
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
النسخة التي عندي مترجمة تحت عنوان "في سردابي" لعبد المعين الملوحي..._و هي معنونة في قبوي ترجمة سامي الدوربي و دار ابن رشد، أو الانسان الصرصار(أو رسائل من أعماق الأرض) في ترجمة ثالثة لا أدري لمن_ نسختي كانت _قبل أن أبيعها_ نسخة قديمة مصفرة الأوراق مطبوعة عام 1956... و قد اشتريتها من على بسطة الكتب القديمة...0

رواية عن رجل يتحدث عن نفسه بصيغة المتكلم قد قرف المجتمع و زيفه...0

هل أستطيع أن أدلي باعتراف صغير هنا... لطالما أحببت دوستويفسكي... لكن في روايته هنا أحسست به يعرفني منذ أمد بعيد

لا أحد يشك بأ
Paul Bryant
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Literary Characters React to Notes from the Underground

Eeyore

This Accounts for a Good Deal. It Explains Everything. In Life, you see, we can't all, and some of us don't. Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry bush. This book is telling everybody “We can look for the North Pole, or we can play 'Here we go gathering Nuts in May' with the end part of an ants' nest. It's all the same to me." Amusing in a quiet way, but not really helpful.

Piglet

Help, help! A hexistentialist! A horrible
Ahmed Oraby
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
حسنًا حسنًا، دويستويفسكي العظيم من جديد
هذا الرجل المحير للغاية مرة أخرى، يجذبك بأسلوبه وبكلماته العميقة البسيطة، في آن واحد، لتكمل قراءة الرواية لآخرها.
رواية أخرى لا يسعنى بعد الفراغ منها إلا أن أقف مشدوهًا أمام قدرة هذا العبقري
ها هنا، يتجلى دوساويفسكي في أبهى صوره؛ في صورة الفيلسوف، بالطبع.
صدقًا، هذا الرجل ملئ بالمفاجآت، فلرواياته طعم خاص ولون مغاير للغاية، عن أي ما ستقرأ مستقبلًا
ولرواياته ألوان عديدة ومختلفة، فقلما تجده يكرر نفسه وأسلوبه.
عند أول عهدي به، مع روايته الجريمة والعقاب، ما وسعني إلا
حماس

في قبوى، أم في قبري ؟!
مضطربة الفكر انتهي من هذا الكتاب الغريب
مميز جدا في ذاته لا يشبهه شىء
يتحدث عن رجل اعتزل مجتمعه ومكث في قبوه يتأمل ويتخيل أشخاصًا يحدثهم بأفكاره ويكتب لهم
هذا الرجل يقر بحقارته ودناوته معترفًا في الوقت ذاته بأنه أذكى البشر
وأنه وصل لمرحلة عليا من الوعى
وهو بالفعل وصل لقمة الوعى بالذات، حتى انه ليظن باقي البشر انما يحسدونه ويحقدون عليه
فنفّر الجميع من حوله حتى لم يبق على علاقته احد
فهو يريد من حوله أن يُظهروا له الخضوع والاحترام، فيسخر منهم ويصرخ فيهم ويهينهم، ألا يظن أنه يبعدهم عن
Bumin Varli
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dostoyevski’yi keşfetmek insanın hayatında çok önemli bir tarihtir. aşkı ilk defa yaşamak, denizi ilk defa görmek hatta ilk defa sevişmek gibidir

her başladığım dostoyevski imzalı kitapta bir kez daha anlıyorum ben borges'in ne demek istediğini.

kendi kendime söz vermiştim uzunca bir süre okumayacağım başka kitabını diye, tüketmek istemiyorum, kıyamıyorum; ama olmadı, bir şekilde yine yolum kesişti.

ankara devlet tiyatrosu bu hafta ''yeraltından notlar''ı oynayacaktı, ben kitap fuarından kitabı
Rowena
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never be fooled by book size when it comes to Dostoevsky! This novella was just under 100 pages long so I figured it would take me just a couple of hours to read. I was obviously wrong but I enjoyed the read. The prose is extremely dense so I had to read it slower than I read other books. The protagonist was fascinating (peculiar, even) and I enjoyed reading his introspective thoughts about different issues. I will definitely be re-reading this one.
Ahmad Sharabiani
871. Zapiski iz podpol'ia = Notes from the Underground, Fyodor Dostoevsky
عنوانها: یادداشتهای زیرزمین؛ یادداشتهای زیر زمینی؛ یادداشتهای زیرزمینی با چهارده تفسیر؛ نویسنده: فئودور داستایوسکی (علمی و فرهنگی) ادبیات روسیه؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و یکم ماه سپتامبر سال 1972 میلادی
عنوان: یادداشتهای زیر زمینی؛ نویسنده: فئودور داستایوسکی؛ مترجم: رحمت الهی؛ تهران، زوار، 1333، در 235 ص، قیمت: 45 ریال؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، کتابهای جیبی، 1343، موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان روسی - قرن 19 م
عنوان: یادداشتهای زیرزمین؛
MJ Nicholls
New:

“ . . . we’ve all grown unaccustomed to life, we’re all lame, each of us more or less. We’ve even grown so unaccustomed that at times we feel a sort of loathing for real “living life,” and therefore cannot bear to be reminded of it. For we’ve reached a point where we regard real “living life” almost as labor, almost as service, and we all agree in ourselves that it’s better from a book. And why do we sometimes fuss about, why these caprices, these demands of ours? We ourselves don’t know why
Glenn Russell
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dostoevsky leads us into the deepest recesses of human consciousness, a mire of stinky sewers, feted pits and foul-smelling rat holes -- . novel as existential torment and alienation. Do you envision a utopia founded on the principals of love and universal brotherhood? If so, beware the underground man. And what is it about the underground? Well, ladies and gentlemen, here are several quotes from the text with my comments:

"I would now like to tell you, gentlemen, whether you do or do not wish to
هنـاء آلـماضیے

إن مأساة هذا الإنسان البائس على وجه التحديد حينما لا يجد المنفذ للتنفيس من بين الأبواب الموصدة أمامه .. ثم لا يخرج، ولا ينفجر، ولا يعبر عما بداخله كما يليق بكائن حي ذو منزلة عالية.

لذا تجده يتوه في حقده مع صراعاته الدامية، وأفكاره المريضة .. ويتربص بها كالثعلب حيناً، والأفعى الغاضبة حيناً آخر.

حتى يقضي ليلته ثائراً، مقهوراً، منكفئاً في عزلته. يدور خلف أفكاره وكأنها تهرب منه وهو يركض خلفها ليمسكها ..
ثم لا يمسك منها إلا الخيال الذي يتلاعب به.

إن الإنسان المهان، مخلوق هائج كبلّته أوهامه مع ما لا يقاو
Arnie
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone paying attention
When I read it at the height of my existential angst college days, I felt I had never identified with a character so strongly. I don't underline books, this might be the only one, I underlined about 90% of it.
Shivam Chaturvedi
You see, this man Dostoyevsky calls you witness to a killing, a killing that he himself intends to perform. You are apprehensive, frightened even, but you walk in nevertheless. There in front of you lies this despondent figure of a man whom this convener intends to slaughter. Settled in rather uncomfortably, you prepare for the death blow to fall. But it doesn't; the victim is not shown the mercy of an easy execution.

Instead Dostoyevsky strangles him, squeezes the very life out of him. And he do
Nahed.E

اعطي هذا الكتاب 5 نجمات لما قدمه ديستويفيسكي من تصوير رائع لحياة هذا الإنسان المسكين المغلوب علي أمره في هذا العصر
فهذا الإنسان كما قال ديستويفيسكي موجود في كل مكان
حولنا دائماً نراه كثيراً كضحية لعصر أصبح الإنسان فيه مثل الألة التي لا شعور فيها ولا إحساس
هذا الإنسان المسكين الذي يرسل لنا مذكراته من تحت الأرض
مثله كمثل الحشرات تحيا تحت اقدامنا تهرب من مكان لمكان بلا انتماء ولا أمان ولا هدف
فقط حياتها في الهروب
حتي الهروب من الأفكار والأحلام وحتي محاولة الهروب من تحقيق الأحلام أو تحقيق
أي سعادة في
Nikos Tsentemeidis
Συγκλονιστικό!!! Το κατατάσσω στα κορυφαία έργα του Ντοστογιέφσκι μαζί με το Έγκλημα και τους Καραμάζοφ. Θυμίζει περισσότερο το δεύτερο, με διαφορά στον όγκο, που οφείλεται στην έλλειψη πλοκής. Το Υπόγειο, είναι ίσως από τα καλύτερα βιβλία Ψυχολογίας που έχουν γραφτεί ποτέ.

Γιατί με συγκλόνισε; Γιατί διάβασα σκέψεις που έχω ζήσει σαν έφηβος, όταν ακόμα δεν μπορούσα να τις εξηγήσω. Έχει απόλυτο δίκιο ο Νίτσε όταν λέει: «Ο μόνος που μου έμαθε κάτι για την ανθρώπινη ψυχολογία ήταν ο Ντοστογιέφσκι».
Sara Alaee
Obsessive, sick, horrific, painful… Did I like it?!...Should I like it?!...
Dostoyevsky depicts one of the most disturbing and unsettling images of a human being in this book. I don’t get it!… Not that I don’t get what he says. I do!… It’s just that I don’t want to see the world through a lens of despair that presents a disillusioned version of reality. “If the heightened consciousness showers one with agony and self-loathing, frustration and humiliation, then what is ignorance!?” I clearly don’t
Lyn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first met the Russian on the loading docks. Filling trailers with freight out in the weather, in the humid heat and then again in the freezing cold was not a career, not a job anyone especially wanted, it was a job to fill in the gaps, work that paid a wage and filled a need as necessary as the empty trailers that backed into the dock one after the other.

I had seen him in the break room, out on the picnic tables - always alone. He scribbled incessantly in an old thesis book, would pause long m
Cheryl
"Because I only like playing with words, only dreaming, but, do you know, what I really want is that you should all go to hell. That is what I want. I want peace; yes, I'd sell the whole world for a farthing, straight off, so long as I was left in peace."

I ponder his words as I sit in his disturbed and confused underground mind, this mind supposedly brilliant, yet also a heap of self-destruction; these words which offer some profundity, some lackluster chit-chatter. It makes me consider how we
Davide
«Aver coscienza di troppe cose è una malattia, una vera e propria malattia».

Nel 1864, quando questi Ricordi compaiono sulla rivista «Epocha», Dostoevskij aveva già 43 anni, eppure ci sembra di leggere un testo giovanile, che ha qualcosa della prova generale in confronto ai grandi romanzi “polifonici” che verranno. Qui, per il momento, di voce ce n'è una sola: la continua, opprimente voce della coscienza, abietta e esibizionista al tempo stesso, di un uomo senza nome, che si dispone ad esprimere
Amir
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
ایدههایی ناآزموده در باب کتابی که هرگز نمیتوانم تمامش کنم

فقط تا صفحهی 120 تونستم پیش برم. شاید اگه سه چهار سال پیش بود با سماجت پیش میرفتم. اما این روزها زمانم کمتر از چیزی هست که بخوام سر سماجت تلفش کنم
...

تقسیمبندی رمان بسیار خیرهکنندهست. عنوان بخش اول -تاریکی- طعنهای هست به دنیای امیدوار عصر روشنگری و عنوان فصل دوم -روی برف نمناک- گریزی زده به پروژهی مخالفخوان اون روزهای عصر روشنگری؛ یعنی رمانتیسم. شخصیت اصلی رمان تکافتادهی منفعلی هست که از فضای فکری پیرامون خودش احساس تشنج میکنه. هیچ اندیشهای
Taghreed Jamal el deen
  • The Collected Stories
  • Seven Who Were Hanged
  • Envy
  • The Eye
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books I-II
  • The Case of Comrade Tulayev
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...

“I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.” 2131 likes
“I swear to you gentlemen, that to be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness.” 833 likes