Start by marking “Compact with the Devil” as Want to Read:
Compact with the Devil

Compact with the Devil (Nikki Lanier #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
What do you get when you cross Avon Ladies with Charlie's Angels? A world-class intelligence organization run by women who really know their foundation. When Nikki Lanier signs up as a cosmetics rep at Carrie Mae, it's hardly her idea of a dream job. With a degree in linguistics and a hard-core workout regimen, the twenty-six-year-old redhead once had hopes for a real care ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Compact with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compact with the Devil

Deena
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm really glad that I got a chance to read this through FirstReads - it was fun!

That being said (and I am glad I read it - it really was fun!), it also has a few problems...

Someone should beware of hype... Ms. Maines has apparently been compared to Janet Evanovich, and while Ms. Maines is certainly as good a writer as Evanovich, this is definitely not a Stephanie Plum novel. Comparisons to on-going, successful series are not going to serve Ms. Maines well yet.

A bigger problem was that I spent t
Stephanie
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
Compact with the Devil is book two in a new series about Nikki, a girl who thought she was trying a new career to get her mom off her back. But Carrie Mae is so much more than selling makeup; it’s a super secret agency of female international spies. In book one, Bulletproof Mascara, Nikki was just getting her heels wet in the business. Now in Compact with the Devil she is seasoned and ready for anything, um, or almost anything. Hopping from country to country in Europe to protect Kit Masters, in ...more
Once Upon a Twilight
If you like to read about espionage, the 2nd installment of the Nikkie Lanier Series should be on your list. Nikkie works for an espionage agency that combines Agent 007 with Charlie’s Angels into one, under the cover of a cosmetics company. After a failed mission, the company sends the team to cover separate jobs and Nikkie ends up in a tail spin adventure thru Europe. She is to capture an escaped assassin that has history with one of the other agents, which happens to be her superior that is i ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, arc, 2011-release
I LOVED the first book in this series, Bulletproof Mascara. See Review here: http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2010/.... So I was thrilled when I was offered an ARC of the sequel. And even though, it's not as good as the first one, I do plan on reading the third..

In the first one, there was more about training and Nikki Lanier took on her first case with Carrie Mae's secret women agents. There was a rogue agent and her friends, Jenny and Ellen were always in tow. And Val... is a character that I g
Amanda
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definitely worth reading!
This novel jumps straight into the action, which is fitting with a main character like Nikki.

I am really glad that she and Z'ev are together in this novel, although I must say she and Kit also make an interesting pair...
Not to mention it seems as though Nikki almost becomes Kit's muse, like she is his cure for writer's block. Even if they are not going to become an item they really should stay in touch, they are good for each other.

Kit helps her to loosen up and not wor
Susan
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nikki Lanier makes a contract with the devil in COMPACT WITH THE DEVIL when the rescue of the wife of a Colombian drug dealer goes bad, and she ends up the glorified babysitter to a rock star targeted by a Basque terrorist. If it sounds awfully serious, it isn't; because this second spy spoof by Bethany Maines (BULLETPROOF MASCARA) gives us plenty to chuckle about, poking fun at everything from pop stars with LSD (lead singer's disease--okay, I'm stealing that from Steven Tyler) to the James Bon ...more
Amy
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been quite a while since I read "bullet proof mascara" which was the first book in the series. I have to admit forgetting some of the details so getting into this second installment of the series was more difficult than I would have liked. Once I got into it and remembered all of what had happened in the first novel, it was much easier to read. I don't think I really got into the swing of things until about a third of the way through the book. But I'm very glad that I picked series back up. ...more
Enjee
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received a Goodreads First Look copy of this book.
This is Chick-lit, not paranormal or urban fantasy.
This is an enjoyable read that moved along at a healthy pace and kept my interest.
Those Carrie Mae ladies have sheballs. The makeup giant catering to women have their own specially-trained unit to help women in trouble. The ladies are trained in weapons, hand-to-hand, extraction and surveillance. There are many LOL moments "...she looked like a biter...". There are several gadgets ala Q develop
Kaye
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This series is original and fun to read. Who knew cosmetics could be so exciting. Carrie Mae seller, uh operative, Nikki Lanier has botched and operation and still reeling from that and her messy love life, or lack of, since her break up with CIA agent Z'ev Coralles she gets an assignment to protect fellow operative Camille Masters' son Kit. Kit is a bad-boy pop star on tour and he has threats against his life. Who knew it could get even messier when she gets fired from the mission, she has to d ...more
Jackie
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
As often happens, the second book of a series (or planned series) somehow doesn't quite measure up. I found that to be true in this instance as well.

However, it was still a fun, engrossing read. I nearly put it down somewhere about the middle, but persevered and ended up liking it better than I expected, based on what was in the middle. And I do love a happy ending.

It's nice to read something pretty clean without being trite or totally shallow.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.

April
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book continues Nikki Lanier's adventures as a Carrie Mae agent. This time she spends time in Columbia, Germany and France.
She breaks up with Z'ev in the beginning of the book - but is it really over.
She plays body guard to pop star Kit Masters. Kit's mom Camille is also a Carrie Mae agent.
There are some interesting twists and turns, some predictable events and some laugh out loud dialogue and descriptions.
Jane, Jenny and Ellen help Nikki overcome the bad guys.
Teotakuu
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, rabck
I received this in a care package from the ever delightful Deenbat and started it with anticipation. I enjoyed it although I may have enjoyed it more had I read the first book.

The premise of a women's protective service certainly allows scope for interesting shenanigans and, with branches in many countries, there are numerous characters who will be fleshed out in coming books, no doubt.

I look forward to more adventures for Nicki and co.
Alie
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have not read the first book of this series but have no trouble catching up. Very simple to read, characters are a bit one dimensional but mabye Maines introduced them more in the first book.
Update: I'm pretty sure half the book could have been cut out and was not necessary to the plot. All her spy friends coming to help her was pointless as was the whole Camille sub plot. Not a horrible book in all but I wouldn't read a third one.
Laurie Ryan
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and found it a delightfully complex look at human nature. I liked Nikki Lanier a lot in Bulletproof Mascara, but in Compact With The Devil, she’s come into her own. Struggling with a relationship teetering on the edge and a career about to explode into nothingness, she’s got a lot to handle. She does it with, well, maybe not as much charm and professionalism as a Carrie Mae representative should show. Instead, Nikki does it her way and I loved her for it.
Rebecca McKinnon
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm hooked! Nikki is the kind of character that makes me want to jump right into the book and BE the character. Doesn't hurt that I've loved spy stories since I was a kid watching 007 with my dad.

I was a little sad that we skipped over a year between books, but I get it.

There's something in this book for everyone. Read it. You'll laugh!
Michelle
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I have read the first part of this series, and although the first book is better, this was still good! This was a fun, entertaining read! A must read? Definitely not, but I still thoroughly every page! It was an easy read for when you want something light and quick to get through and I really liked the characters in the story. I will read the 3rd installment when it comes out!
Mary Newcomb
This series has a great premise, make up ladies (Carrie Mae, to be specific)who actually work as spies. Most of the action in this book takes place in Europe during a tour of an up and coming rock star. This is an amusing tale, not very complex but a great escape.
Traci
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author. I really enjoyed her writing. It was a good mix of humor and mystery. The international aspect brought a fun dimension to it also as several different languages were brought into the writing. I look forward to reading more from Bethany Maines.
Angela
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, chic-lit
Loved this book. I wasn't surprised that I liked it so much since I really enjoyed the first one as well. I have to confess though I was a tad disappointed about the ending... only because I was growing attached to another male character in the novel...
Julie
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Not as clean as the first, but not bad either. A fun and quick summer beach read.
Holly
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
pretty good follow-up to bulletproof mascara, though the plot kind of tread water in the middle a bit. still entertaining. quick read.
Leon
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of strong female heroines who save others
Entertaining read. Simple story but equally funny and done with a certain classic spy-writing flare... What would happen if you were a female "James Bond".
Bethany
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was another good Carrie Mae adventure. Good plot twist, but you can see it coming. I like the humor and adventure though. Definitely worth continuing with the series.
Jill
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this series. I'm a Mary Kay consultant and I'd love it if we had a branch like this.
Lark
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Fluff, but entertaining.
Deyara
Quite liked it this time round. Funny and interesting characters.
Tami
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and funny. I am enjoying Getting to know Nikki. Keep on writing!
Jenice Ahlberg
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Entertaining to the very end.
Heather
May 28, 2011
Zhenrong
Jul 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • These Hellish Happenings
  • Armed and Glamorous (Crime of Fashion, #6)
  • They're So Vein  (The Grateful Undead series #1)
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • Triple Crossing (Valentine Pescatore #1)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation #1)
  • The Bad Always Die Twice (Nikki Harper Mysteries #1)
  • A Very Simple Crime
  • Please Fire Me: Posts from the Revolting Workplace
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • The Dead Detective Agency (Dead Detective Mysteries, #1)
  • Born Under a Lucky Moon
  • The Strip
  • Purgatory Chasm
  • Murder Your Darlings (Algonquin Round Table #1)
  • Dead on Delivery (Messenger, #2)
  • The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4)
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
Bethany Maines, a native of Tacoma WA, is the author of the Carrie Mae Mystery series (from Simon & Schuster), and Tales From the City of Destiny. When she’s not traveling to exotic lands, or kicking some serious butt with her fourth degree black belt in karate, she can be found chasing after her daughter, or glued to the computer working on her next novel.
More about Bethany Maines...

Nikki Lanier (6 books)
  • Bulletproof Mascara
  • Supporting the Girls
  • Power of Attorney (Carrie Mae Mysteries Book 4)
  • High-Caliber Concealer
  • Glossed Cause (Carrie Mae Mysteries, #4)