Start by marking “Resident Alien: The New York Diaries” as Want to Read:
Resident Alien: The New York Diaries

Resident Alien: The New York Diaries

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This delightful gem is based on Crisp's diary in The New York Native. His affecting words cover topics from politics to prejudice, from the human spirit to the individual obstacles he faces every day in his solitary life.
Paperback
Published April 1st 1998 by Alyson Books (first published April 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Resident Alien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resident Alien

Charles Blanchard
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quentin Crisp (1908-1999) lived in a single room in a rooming house in England for over thirty years spending his time quite profitably by doing very little and living as modestly as possible, letting life pass him by to which he replied "Thank God I didn't get mixed up in the beastly thing." He was close to sixty when he wrote his autobiography, The Naked Civil Servant, a moving document, which according to Crisp represented a life of total failure. When it was made into a film in 1975, he was ...more
Jerome Baladad
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
witty, witty, witty!!! (i may just be misreading, but i just wonder why he had this thing against filipino nurses, whom he thought was rather so intrusive, so nosey as he was poked, checked on by 1 filipino nurse when someone must have called up 911 to wheel him up to the hospital.....his recollection of the experience was rather funny, but sadly condescending towards filipino nurses ........well, filipino nurses are among the world's best, if not the best...i should know.......my mom's one...ev ...more
Hector
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading Crisp's ruminations about his life in NY. At times witty and other times controversial, Crisp delivers a set of diary entries that never disappoint. His views on the LGBT community and various Hollywood stars are memorable. Crisp's diaries taught me the importance of being direct, honest, and simple. These are the characteristics for every true artist and intellectual. These diaries are a gift to all audiences.
Ken Saunders
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
"It was hell. I was asked what was wrong with the world. I managed to refrain from saying 'the people' and said 'the music'."
James
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished "Resident Alien." Though Quentin Crisp (1908-1999) was better-known for "The Naked Civil Servant," I found that book grim and depressing. In it he describes entering into sexual and romantic entanglements that seemed to have no real point. And his life sounded so unpleasant I couldn't understand why he didn't kill himself.

In "Resident Alien," however, he is an old man, free of the nonsense of romance and sex, and enjoying the life of a celebrity. There are portions where he ta
Dan McLaughlin
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am currently re-reading this gem. I originally bought this for my trip to New York last year, and I read it cover to cover within days. When I asked the cliched question, "Who would you invite to a dinner party, alive or dead?", Quentin Crisp would top that list. His wit and intelligence seem almost effortless, as he regales of his life in 1990s New York. While he has the habit to repeat himself, it does not become annoying - in fact, it is rather charming. Having read The Naked Civil Servant, ...more
João
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quentin Crisp foi um indivíduo original e único e as suas memórias dos anos de Nova Iorque como "alien", nos dois sentidos, de estrangeiro e estranho (extraterrestre), são extraordinariamente perspicazes, inteligentes e por vezes controversas, tanto no que se refere aos comportamentos e hábitos dos seus compatriotas ingleses, que deixara para trás, como aos dos americanos que o acolheram, como aos seus próprios!
Jo Ann
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Sting's song, "Englishman in New York"the "Englishman" in question is the famous eccentric QUENTIN CRISP. Sting wrote the song after Crisp moved from London to an apartment in New York's Bowery. Crisp had remarked jokingly to the musician "...that he looked forward to receiving his naturalization papers so that he could commit a crime and not be deported."
GOTTA LOVE HIM:)
Selena
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gays/Lesbians/and their supporters.
Accept yourself.
Lance Reynald
Jun 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
met Q at a reading in Chicago years ago.

lovely gentleman, impeccable style and nice dry humour.
Thirstyicon
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was only going to give this 4 stars, as it was a good read; but I realized I dog-eared so many pages that I *had* to give it 5!
Damon
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I would much preferred that he sat in a chair, in a stark room, and read this book to me. But this isn't a bad second option.
Antonomasia
[unfinished because had to return borrowed copy]
Jack
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mr. Crisp came to live in New York City when he was already in his 80's. The man had balls, people. An example for us all.
Katie
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
A not particularly cohesive yet provocative collection. Crisp is extremely clever and contrary and if you're a fan of Wilde you'll love it.
Leshawn
  • Sins of the Cities of the Plain
  • Ceremonies: Prose and Poetry
  • Elf Girl
  • Love Letters
  • Robert Kennedy in His Own Words: The Unpublished Recollections of the Kennedy Years
  • Problem of Increasing Human Energy
  • Becoming a Londoner: A Diary
  • Rolling Thunder Logbook
  • Magic Prague
  • Mall
  • Movie Wars: How Hollywood and the Media Limit What Movies We Can See
Quentin Crisp, born Denis Charles Pratt, was an English writer, artist's model, actor and raconteur known for his memorable and insightful witticisms. He became a gay icon in the 1970s after publication of his memoir, The Naked Civil Servant, brought to the attention of the general public his defiant exhibitionism and longstanding refusal to remain in the closet.
More about Quentin Crisp

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
“I like living in one room and have never known what people do with the room they are not in.” 10 likes