Start by marking “Shakedown Socialism: Unions, Pitchforks, Collective Greed, The Fallacy of Economic Equality, and other Optical Illusions of "Redistributive Justice"” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  92 ratings  ·  12 reviews

This is a brilliant study, profusely illustrated with cartoons and propaganda posters. Atbashian explains why Socialism cannot work. He exposes the injustice of "Collective Greed" and shows why Economic Equality is a fraud. The book is an eye-opener as the author illustrates his points with examples drawn from his life in the Soviet Union before 1994 and more recent events

Published August 1st 2010 by Greenleaf Press

To ask other readers questions about Shakedown Socialism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakedown Socialism

really liked it 4.00  ·

Msouth
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is just a fun read--you hear all this stuff about socialism back and forth, but this guy actually lived through it in the former Soviet Union and can tell you what it was really like.

Definitely worth a read if you would like to hear it from someone who can speak on it with the authority of a person who actually saw the policies implemented and has a good understanding not only of what it was like but why it was like that.

Socialists would like to conveniently sweep the misery that was the So
Red Square
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for everybody.
James
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
Much of this book's content and opinion is similar to the writings of many other conservatives. However, Shakedown Socialism has a unique angle in that its author was born and raised within the Soviet Union; his observations on what is currently happening in America are informed by what he saw in Soviet Ukraine. Thus, what might otherwise be guesses or theories on the part of the average conservative writer are actually Atbashian's personal experiences.

At 124 pages of actual text, the book reads
Gerard  Perry
I should preface this review by stating unequivocally that I happen to personally know the author of this book, so anyone who believes that I have a biased impression heading into this review should take that into consideration. Even so, I do believe that I'm able to praise this polemic with a clear conscience, since it provides a unique perspective on the creeping socialism that has hobbled the American economy and culture since the height of the New Deal, continued to progress during the Great ...more
Beth Haynes
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Written by Oleg Atbashian, creator of the website ThePeoplesCube.com, provides an insightful analysis of American's decent into socialism---drawing parallels with todays political and economic trends to his experience in the Soviet Union.
The author packs a lot into 124 small pages, hitting on some of the most important aspects of socialism:
1) It's false claims of equality and justice which invariably lead to state sanctioned inequality and injustice
2) It's perversion of the meaning of "fair" awa
Jeremy Hatfield
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
An irregular on The People's Cube, I asked the author once to relate his perspectives as a former USSR citizen living in the Age of Obama. He pointed me to some articles he wrote for Pajamas Media, and gave occasional glimpses (apart from the satire he usually writes) in serious essays he would post over at TPC. Now, he has compiled several articles he wrote concerning Trade Unions, and the parallels he sees between his former country during Communist rule and how they operate in ours today. It ...more
Mike Gallant
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Light Read

This is a great introduction for anyone curious about the current political implications of labour union relations in the USA. This is not an academic treatise, and is not filled with citations and specific philisophical examinations. This is an enjoyable overview of the pathway that radical left influence will have on western societies. Drawing real life parallels with his own life in the former USSR, Oleg paints a dystopian picture of what is to come if nothing is done.
Boris Tsipenyuk
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nobody's a boob with the People's Cube!
Jed Park
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Being in business I think this is a good wake up call for our country. It is basically saying that the federal gov is choking the life out of American business by regulation and squandering our wealth through entitlement programs.

Whereas I agree with the premise, I don't trust corporate America either and I think the gov. does need to regulate working conditions, EPA regulations, ADA requirements, etc.
william  johnston
Socialism explained

Awesome
A warning from someone who knows the dangers of the creeping socialism in our society from his own experience with the last socialist failure. A must read!
Scott
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I am sympathetic to the ideology presented in this book, the book was really quite boring and lacked any real intellectual discussion or robust argument.
Scott Gray
Jan 24, 2016
John Hamilton
Sep 07, 2017
CD®
rated it did not like it
Nov 04, 2018