Start by marking “Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)” as Want to Read:
Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)

Lord Langley Is Back in Town

(Bachelor Chronicles #8)

Minerva Sterling swore she'd never marry again. So why is she suddenly engaged to the most notorious rake in London?

A diplomat and a spy, the dashing Lord Langley is happy to be home after years spent abroad, though less so to discover the ladies he so callously loved and left have been anxiously awaiting his return. Hoping to put his checkered past - and his persistent ex

Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 31st 2011 by Avon

Karen
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ahhh, Lord Langley. We knew we'd be seeing him again-- the international diplomat and spy who passed off his titled mistresses as his daughters' "Nannies." Like a bad penny, he had to turn up eventually, and yes, rumors of his death have been slightly exaggerated (although not for long, if he keeps digging away at the past). But he's not without problems; having finally escaped a French prison, he IS still living under the taint of treason, and with no memory of what plot he had uncovered or who ...more
Heather
Oct 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
Angie Lee
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wasn't familiar with this author even though she's quite prolific but I really liked this book and will look for the others in the series. Likeable characters and smart dialogue.
SidneyKay
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-regency
Shoshana G
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was fine. Minerva's back story is interesting. But yet again with this series, all the plot happens in the last few pages. I know this is a romance and not a mystery of spy thriller, but if you're going to introduce those plot elements, it's better if they're not resolved in a whirlwind.
Susana
Jan 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
First of all, i have to say that i really thought _ after reading the first pages and being introduced to the "nannies _ that this book was going to be a disaster.
I was wrong.
It was worse.
An hero that although on his forty e two years old, "sounds" like he's twenty. His behaviour could be described as juvenile and i never saw anything that would correspond to the title of master spy. An heroine, Minerva, that has an unlikely _ and far-fetched _ secret. It just didn't work. I wasn't interessed in
Maggie
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
A bit boring, to tell the truth. I didn't like the Heroine (bit too uptight), and the Hero's rakishness wasn't anything new to keep me interested. The Heroine has a great backstory/complication for her present (view spoiler) ...more
Virginia
Sep 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Dreck. Utter dreck. This is an example of me following a romance author's recommendation (Julia Quinn), only to find that surely, this must've been done solely on a self-serving basis. Because the writing is TERRIBLE. Utterly horrible. I want to gouge out my eyes and unread the last 63 pages. Truly abysmal.
Anna
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Liked it--did not love it. It was fun to have Lord Langley as a hero since we've known about him from the first book in The Bachelor Chronicles.

Minerva was not a particularly likable character in the earlier books, so it was nice to view her more sympathetically.
Barbara
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Elizabeth Boyle. What I liked about this is that the hero is in his 40's and the heroine in her 30's. The love story is a bit haphazarded but still is great. I would have liked a little more of Felcity and Thalia to tie the story up at the end.
Mary23nm
Pretty good but not very memorable.
Ann
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your garden variety romance

First, the hero is 42, hiding out as a servant, and assumed dead. Then,if he were alive, he'd be tried for treason. Four of his former mistresses descend on the house where he is hiding, and insists that the widow who lives there produce our hero. But she knows nothing until he climbs into her bedroom window.
Lady-Erin Mason
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! So many things going on in this book. Minerva has a huge secret, Langley has a ton of secrets, they’re in a house full of his old conquests, and they’re pretending to be engaged all while falling in love at the same time. I have no idea how everything was kept straight but it was. Entertaining for sure!
Bethany D. Chappetta
Finally finished the first book of the year! This book pulled me out of my slump. I enjoyed the characters and the hint of intrigue. I need to go back through the other books in the series and see what I have read. But I would recommend the book. It’s not 5 stars because it wasn’t a total page turner and there wasn’t a ton of heat. But overall - a good read.
rivka
Vasilena
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very very good ending of these series, the hero is one of the originals that set the tone for the whole first 4-5 books, funny and outrageous and swashbuckling. Fun read!
K McBride
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kathy-s-krak
they fall in love soooo quickly ... I was have rated this one 3.5 stars, but alas ...
Mary
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF Don't waste your time.
June
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bachelor Chronicles fans
Recommended to June by: Shoshana G
Maybe a 3.5 for Bachelor Chronicles fans. Interesting to meet Lord Langley and to get Minerva's story.
Jan
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A romp through London

Loved this book! Just enough twists to satisfy. Loved the characters. Alot of smiles and out loud laughs,made it an enjoyable read. In fact I have read it a second time now. Elizabeth boyle is a favorite. May she continue to write to entertain us. Love this
series.
Kimberly
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
My review originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

All of London believes Lord Langley to be dead…and a good number think he might be a traitor as well. Neither is true, though someone has done their level best to kill Langley and frame him for treason. Having escaped a French prison, Langley is back in Town, ready to clear his name and reclaim his life. To do that, he needs a level of respectability, and how better to attain it than to arrange an engagemen
Melanie
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I reviewed this book for Romance Reader At Heart website.

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

For the last three years, Lord Langley has been thought dead, a traitor to his country, and now he is ready to return and clear his name. There you go. That's the main plot.

Minerva is one of the three, and the last one of the Standon widows who have been given an ultimatum by Lord Langley's daughter Felicity to `get themselves hitched' or be financially cut off by her husband, the Duke. Well, the other two
Lady Lioness
Thus begins my weekend of cleansing my literary palate. After this, I have In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks, Scandalous Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt, and Suzanne Enoch's A Beginner's Guide to Rakes just came into the library. Since I finished Heart Search, I've been jonesing to do a Robin D. Owens re-read, but I'm going to hold off for the moment. Historicals are my books of choice when I feel like I need a break because they all blend together in my head. Truly good historicals for me are the ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Boyle found that she had three Lady Standon’s who became widows and were left out in the cold when their husbands died before inheriting the Hollindrake dukedom. None of the widows got along so she decided to put them all in the same house and then give each their own love story. Lord Langley Is Back in Town[Image] tells the story of Minerva Hartley, the last Standon Widow.

The other two Standon widows have married and Minerva is enjoying the peace and quite now that she has the house t
Daisy
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Okay, so I didn't dislike the book, but it didn't work all that well for me either. Minerva was a nice enough main character, though I thought she sometimes had a bit of too-stupid-to-live going on. But not the whole time, so I was somewhat accepting this. And Langley was odd, but well, he had been hit on the head (and no, not as a child).

Overall, I thought it was a bit unlikely. I mean, four of Langley's former mistresses storming Minerva's house and taking up residence there because they beli
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good solid romantic read for me. Was it silly and unrealistic in some places? Yes. But it wasn't unbelievable in the world she built so I was fine with it. I loved the banter back and forth between the characters. Lord Langley was a great hero, and I thought the heroine was a good match for him in that she was passionate, but she was cautiously reserved because of a secret in her past.

I loved how anti-climatic the revelation of her secret was for everyone but her. Sounds weird, I know, but I l
Jennie
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Published on Life Between Books on 8/9/11

From Goodreads: Lord Langley and Minerva, Lady Standon, began their faux engagement with three simple rules set down by the baron's all-too-proper (and utterly unlikely) bride-to-be.

3. No scandal
Tina
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not the best written characters. The plot line was original, but it was just an okay book.
jackie frye
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Elizabeth Boyle and this book is a continuation of her Bachelor Chronicles series. Lord Langley is a rake of the first order; he had romanced some of the most beautiful women on the continent during his years as a diplomat and spy. Lady Minerva Standon is a very proper widow who had no desire to remarry. Five of Lord Langley’s former mistresses arrive at Minerva’s home demanding to see Lord Langley. Minerva informs them he is not in her house and she had no knowledge of his location. The ...more
Sylvain
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lord Langley and Minerva, Lady Standon, began their faux engagement with three simple rules set down by the baron's all-too-proper (and utterly unlikely) bride-to-be.1. No more kissing. The intoxicating kiss Langley stole from her lips still has Minerva aflutter.2. She will not share his bed. (For if his kiss is that tempting, Minerva doesn't dare imagine what a night in Langley's embrace will do to her already addled senses.)3. No scandals during their engagement. With the infamous Langley back

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cloudy With A Chance Of Marriage (Impossible Bachelors, #3)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • The Devil in Disguise (Regency Rogues, #1)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • All They Need (Porter Siblings #1)
  • An Affair Without End (Willowmere, #3)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • Three Nights of Sin
  • The Disgraced Playboy (The Notorious Wolfes, #2)
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • Capelli's Captive Virgin
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • Seducing Mr. Knightly (The Writing Girls, #4)
  • The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2)
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.

Bachelor Chronicles (9 books)
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2)
  • Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3)
  • Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4)
  • Memoirs of a Scandalous Red Dress (Bachelor Chronicles, #5)
  • How I Met My Countess (Bachelor Chronicles, #6)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
  • Mad About the Major
“Sometimes there is naught you can do for a man, save stand quietly beside him and believe. (Advice to Felicity Langley from her Nanny Rana)” 9 likes
“She liked to scatter hope," Minerva said, taking his offering.
"Pardon?"
"Snowdrops. They represent hope. The first flowers in the spring. Hope for a new beginning." She took a sniff of the delicate blossoms and then shyly glanced over at him. "Perhaps you were meant to be here today. To find your hope.”
5 likes