Start by marking “I'm Mighty!” as Want to Read:
I'm Mighty!

I'm Mighty! (I'm ...! - Machines at Work)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
From Kate and Jim McMullan, the popular creators of I Stink! and I’m Dirty!—now a streaming animated series—comes a raucous tribute to a tireless harbor hero. This time a tugboat proves that even the smallest of us can be MIGHTY!

When big ships get to the harbor, they need me! 'Cause I'm MIGHTY! And I can nudge, bump, butt, shove, ram, push, and pull 'em in.

You think this t
Published September 23rd 2003 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about I'm Mighty!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Mighty!

Matt
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A day in the life of a tugboat! Neo and I ventured into the harbour life of a tug and how such a small boat can have a massive impact on the waterways. From tugging to bumping and even directing massive boats, tugs get the job done. Neo thought it was cute that a small boat could be bossy to the larger ones. I reminded him that even tugs have daddies... and those boats take no waves from their offspring.
Kendra
First let's talk about this neat cover. It shows what a tugboat looks like in this colorful illustration. It also shows that they are small and they pull or tug different things. It makes you want to learn more about this boat. This book teaches that it doesn't matter if you are small because you can still be mighty.....

Read more of my review at...
Gracie Larcher
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I enjoyed reading I'm Mighty. It was a short and simple story with lots of colorful illustrations to go along with the text. The book was a quick and fun read.

Read Aloud: This book is definitely very simple and would be best read to kindergartners. You could use it as an interactive read and have the students "help" you read it.

Independent Read: I'm Mighty is an ideal picture book for beginning readers. The font is very large and the language is very simple. There are only a
Joanie
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a current favorite in my house-it's about a tug boat. When I saw this it reminded me of Katie and the Big Snow or Mike Mulligan and the Steamshovel-both of which I had read over and over to the kids I babysat so I was dreading this one a bit- but it's not like that. It's cute (and short-sometimes a bonus!) and my son loves the way it's written and he laughs every time we read it. Plus the message is great, this tiny little tug can do really big things. Definitely a keeper.
Janet
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I read this with a little girl beginning reader. She liked the story and the illustrations. I thought the illustrations were quite good as well as the message. The words were a bit difficult to handle, because of the use of slang ('em instead of them), and expressions that are not in common use. The biggest problem that I had was that the book was about a tugboat, and the word tugboat was never once used in the book. I thought that was odd. Overall enjoyable, but probably more appropriate as a R ...more
Karen
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. We thought it would be better from the cover illustration.

Um, this book should have been so much better than it was. The illustrations were fine -- quirky and quite funny. The story itself was fine. But the text was incredibly dry for a boat about a tugboat. Instead of using interesting and engaging words, the designer tried to do interesting and engaging things with the letters of the text themselves. This was kind of annoyi
Joy
My toddler son has the "I'm Dirty" book, and loves it, so we checked this one out. He loved this one just as much. It is well illustrated, with engaging and interesting pictures. It does get a bit wearying to read over and over and over because of all the sound effects, etc, which is of course, what makes the book likeable to a small person. My chief complaint about this book and the others is that it uses very few (if any) complete sentences, which gives it a choppy feeling, and the slang would ...more
Angie
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
I Stink! will always be my favorite by this husband/wife team. If I hadn't seen it first I might have liked this one more. But it's not as funny as that one.

This one was OK. But it didn't live up to ... what was the name of that little tugboat one ... it was a Little Golden Book. I think I liked that one better.
June
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: McMullan fans, boat and transportation requests
I'm a huge fan of the McMullans. I bought several of their books for my sons. This was also a huge hit in my Story Time. It is very appropriate for children showing a tug boat who brings in huge ships, despite his small size. I also enjoy all the fonts, the tug's attitude, introduction to boat parts and the vocabulary.
Amelia
A decidedly weaker edition in the Kate McMullan "I'm ______" series of books. I Stink, I'm Dirty and I'm Brave are head and shoulders above this kind-of-slow book about a tugboat. Illustration style remains consistently fun and engaging, though! Recommended only for toddlers who are huge boat fans, or for completists of the "I'm _____" series.
Kimberly
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-4050
I’m Mighty is a book about confidence and perseverance. Even when the others don’t think he can do it, Tug pulls through and gets the job done.
This book would be a great read aloud book for Kindergartners with many sight words they could pick out. The teacher/reader could bring the book to life with all the sound effects available.
Jennifer Heise
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The mighty little tugboat gives us a tour of his day. Kids interested in boats or in powerful machines at all will like this. For the parent, the repetition of "think I can't?! think again!" boastful language may pall, but the rhymes are good, the sequence correct, and the illustrations captivating. I think my son preferred "I'm Dirty!" and "I Stink!" but to each their own.
Connie
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book isn't as good as its predecessor, I Stink, but it's hard to live up to that!

I will note that people who dislike the attitude of the garbage truck in I Stink will prefer this book - the tugboat is proud but not boastful, and altogether sweet and charming. And there's no puppy poo!
Bailee Morillo
This book is great It has a feel of "The Little Engine that Could" but it is still different. It could be used in a lesson about how little things can accomplish big things, or just a lesson in tug boats and what they do. It's fun, exciting, and short!
Donna
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddler boys
Shelves: children-s
My two and half year old LOVES this book! But then he loves all the books in Kate and Jim McMullan's I'm series. He got this one for Christmas and makes me read it (along with I Stink and I'm Dirty) every night. He loves counting the boats, and saying parts of the story out loud.
Sylvester
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
3* art
2* story

Not quite as good as "I'm Dirty!" which was not quite as good as "I Stink!"
Connie
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My son asked for this book time and time again!
Jen
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very cute little story about a tugboat who has a very important job! My boys recognized the style of illustrations and said right away, "Mom! This looks like 'I Stink'!" and I was impressed!
Holly
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
Good book for lots of sound words.
Lindsay
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Although good for a couple read-throughs, this wasn't as popular with the kids as I'm Dirty.
Erin
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
A tug boat takes you through his day, tugging three different ships back to the docks.

Great for a boat preschool storytime.
kelly
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
We like this book. Lets say "self-confidence" and "additude" are what this book's about. The cute thing about it, is how the tugboat is so small but can do really big things.
Amy
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
not as cute as I stink but still a good book
Mari
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Good one for little boys...by same author as 'I Stink'.
Melissa
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YES!!!
This is McKay's favorite book ever! He loves reading this over and over again. Its great and let's you know even though you are small you can do it!!
Lindsay
Full of great vocabulary and lots to see. And boy, has that tug got personality!
The Brothers
The story of a tug boat bringing in three ships from the anchorage to the harbor. Lots of tooting and equipment checks!

Great illustrations and a fun story to read.
Alice
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
Not a fun as I stink, but okay! I liked all the toot toots and Argua! I am MIGHTY!
Elizabeth
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ethan-s-books
Yup, another of Ethan's favs!
Heather Clark
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My 5 year old and 3 year old absolutely LOVE this story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Erandi's Braids
  • Dig Dig Digging
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
  • Five for a Little One
  • Trains: Steaming! Pulling! Huffing!
  • Smash! Crash!
  • Little Grunt and the Big Egg
  • Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Beetle Bop
  • The Island of the Skog
  • ABC: a Child's First Alphabet Book
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!

I'm ...! - Machines at Work (8 books)
  • I Stink!