Start by marking “The Beauty of Different” as Want to Read:
The Beauty of Different

The Beauty of Different

Constantly bombarded with messages on how to think, how to feel, how to look, it can be very easy to fall into the mindset that we somehow fail as individuals, that we are not enough. But the truth is, those aspects of ourselves that make us individuals are actually the source of our own beauty, our super power. The Beauty of Different explores beauty in nine fresh ways an ...more
Published November 15th 2010 by Bright Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty of Different, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty of Different

Start your review of The Beauty of Different
Maggie
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The subtitle: "Observations of a Confident Misfit" is what really grabbed my attention. For a book about beauty this one really hits it's mark. The stories are real and the images are absolutely sublime. Each story and each real person highlighted offers up a few timeless truths, not just about beauty but about life in general. Each chapter explores different aspects of beauty by examining the beauty of individuality, of spirituality, of imperfection, of anxiety, of heartbreak, of language, of a ...more
Gretchen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
The author is a photographer and motivational speaker. I greatly enjoyed both the photographs and the text – especially the photographs – her sense of light, color, and composition appealed to me. The text did also – it included interviews with people who have given themselves permission to be different, as well as passages describing the author's own differentness and personal philosophy. The book was engaging – drew me in effectively. As with all motivational speakers, I need to back off, thou ...more
Relyn
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women everywhere
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Karen's blog.
I have this growing frugal streak. So, one of my frugal living rules is that I don't buy any book that I haven't read before and loved. It should be noted that our home is already full to bursting with over 2,400 books at last count. As you can see, this is not an unreasonable rule. Anyway. I have to have loved it, thought about it repeatedly, and be sure I will read it again.

I don't so much want to own this one as have it on hand to give to the many women I know who struggle with their own bea
Phoebe
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
As blog-to-books go, these sorts of pondering, image-heavy inspiration books can come off choppy or without much focus. Karen Walrond's book, however, is unusual in that its focus lends itself to the form. As a "different" sort of person (aren't we all, truly?), her message resonated with me and I appreciated both the birds-eye-view and intimate approaches to telling the stories of people she's met. And of course, the over all message -value your uniqueness- is one most people just don't hear en ...more
Jennifer Jones McIntyre
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found myself reading this book in one sitting and throughout the entire book, I kept nodding and learning and thinking and wanting to post-it every few pages so that I can go over so many important aspects and lessons again and again. This book is a gift to any reader - one that deserves to be read again and again - since things in our lives are in such constant motion - what is happiness today may not make any sense tomorrow. Buy this book as a hostess or birthday gift - your relationships wi ...more
Carolynne
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about finding the beauty all around us. I can find beauty in nature very easily, but I find I often miss the beauty in other human beings. Karen, through her stories, interviews, and exceptional pictures, shows how each and every one of us is beautiful in some way and everyone has their own unique story. Something I will try to remember the next time that "jerk" cuts me off in traffic.
Anne Tinklenberg
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
I loved the author's purposeful collection of stories and images portraying the ordinary and extraordinary beauty of the people and things around her. She was able to show the individual beauty of people whom I may not have looked twice at on the street. She didn't just wonder about the specialness of these friends, she asked them and discovered its origins. On a petty note, I found myself wanting to edit the conversations she included.
Roxani
Jan 08, 2011 marked it as read-in-2011
It is cliche to call it that, but this is truly a beautiful book. It is more than a coffee table book; the images are sharp, poignant, and - you guessed it - different. The stories are compelling and inspiring. Karen Walrond gives us her creative soul here, and I could not feel luckier to have browsed the pages of her life.
Misty Dawn Seidel
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I initially became a fan of Karen Walrond's writing and photography through her blog. She is an inspiration to me in so many ways, and I can't even begin to adequately explain her talent. I read The Beauty of Different on a plane trip, and when I finished, I immediately went back and started it again. This book is full of talent, inspiration, lessons, and, of course, beauty.
Nicole
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked this up for the photos, and it was worthwhile mostly for the photos. Some of the longer essays were interesting too, but for the most part the writing had a self-help tone that I generally dislike.
Leigh
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous book that explores the human condition through photography. Sounds pedantic but trust me, it works. The photos are amazing and the writing is very good. In some ways, this book reminds me of Freeman Patterson's essays and photography.
Jessica
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, feminist
This is one of those books that I will read, and re-read, and re-read. The insights never get old, and I always need to remind myself of them.

Everyone should read this book. The world would be a happier, more compassionate place.
Dana
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just got this yesterday. I can tell already that I am going to love this book. It is filled with beautiful pictures and wise words.

I've finished and I love the book! Great, soulful read.
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Lovely photographs and stories of "different" people. It made me think about celebrating our differences a little more.
Colleen
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A BEAUTIFUL book - both in its images and its stories.
Susan Halvor
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: happiness, health
Such a lovely book... beautiful (in both photography and language), inspiring, grounding. Finding beauty in unexpected as well as familiar places.
Natalie
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Everything about it, the content, the photos, everything. I want everyone I know to read it.
Marcia
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've long been a fan of Karen's Chookooloonks blog and I loved the book too.

Beautiful pics and beautiful writing, inspiring us to appreciate differences.
Amalia
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photos, wonderful stories and reflections. I keep this out on my coffee table because it's such a joy to simply pick up and leaf through.
Samantha
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. So much more than a photography book.
Kim Sasso
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
My review of this book is on my blog http://onetruekim.blogspot.com/2011/0... ...more
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it
The photographs in this book are amazing. I wish there had been more writing about the beauty of different, rather than so much autobiographical writing.
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Karen is a wonderful writer. She just has a way with words. This book is filled with stories of people and their differences that make them beautiful. The photography is also stunning.
Theryn Fleming
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wrote about The Beauty of Different here. ...more
Margi Finch
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Somehow, I feel a little breathless, a little more ready to be who I am.
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazingly beautiful book - both the images and the essays. Amazing. Breath-taking.
Jen
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is one of the best birthday presents I have ever received. I really enjoyed it.
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book.
Sonja
Oct 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nationally renowned for her ability to see the beauty in the world around us, Karen Walrond, a former engineer and attorney, is the author of the photoblog Chookooloonks, which pairs striking imagery and inspiring words to provide evidence that the ordinary is, in fact, extraordinary. Published online since 2004, Chookooloonks has garnered many awards, including Best Eye Candy Blog 2010 of the 201 ...more