Start by marking “The Dream of the Stone” as Want to Read:
The Dream of the Stone

The Dream of the Stone

Someone is following Sarah Lucas. When she peers down from her apartment window late one night, she sees him hovering in the shadows. And what about the other strange things that have been happening to her? The old woman who appears every so often to give Sarah a cryptic piece of advice and then vanishes? The mysterious gleaming stone that turns up in the mail, a universe ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Simon Pulse (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream of the Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream of the Stone

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

Fourteen-year-old Sarah Lucas lives a wonderful life. In her youth, she traveled all over the world with her photojournalist parents, and now the family has settled down in a beautiful little farm on the East Coast. Sarah has a constant friend in her older brother, Sam, whose genius intelligence earned him his Ph.D. at eighteen and a job doing research for the mysterious Institute based in California. But Sarah's parents begin to worry about Sam's i
Rebecca Graf
Jan 19, 2013 Rebecca Graf rated it it was amazing
An Undiscovered Epic

Christian Askounis gives the reader a wonderful tale in The Dream of the Stone that will have you wanting more. It is the story of a young girl whose parents are killed in a plane crash. When her brother comes home, he reveals that he has a secret and it all revolves around the mysterious place he works way out in the desert. Sarah believes that company is more than a strange employer when she finds herself followed, meets a mysterious woman who appears many places, and when
Aelvana
Sep 05, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was ok
Sarah's family has been falling apart. First it was her older brother Sam, who went to work at the Institute---which initially looked like a blessing, but her parents have growing suspicions about his job, and the tension is driving them apart. Then her parents die, and she's left with nothing but an aunt and uncle who take her far from the country farm home she loves. When Sam sends her a mysterious object, though, everything changes. Sarah is thrust to another world and faced with an evil that ...more
Lisa J.olsen
Sep 28, 2011 Lisa J.olsen rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book full of allegories and deeper meanings. I kept thinking that it would be the basis of an insightful paper detailing the fight of good versus evil.

Sarah Loucas is orphaned at the age of 17 when her parents fly to California to convince her older brother, Sam, to leave his secretive job. Their plane crashes on the return flight, and Sarah must move from her country home to live with an aunt and uncle. Sarah tries to convince Sam to allow her to live with him, but he does
Finn Campbell
Mar 13, 2011 Finn Campbell rated it it was ok
I read this book because the blurb sounded interesting, it goes onto my bingo board under the spot of "A book with a female main character" This book is about a teenage girl named Sarah Lucas who lost her parents in a plane crash and her brother Sam is experimenting at a mysterious organization. Sarah realizes she's been followed by a man wearing dark clothes and she when she receives an unusual stone in the mail she is send on a journey to another world with a hippie named Angel. This book was ...more
Chara James
Jun 29, 2013 Chara James rated it did not like it
Shelves: sucked
Throughout this whole book, I was really confused on what was happening. The book kind of reminds me of Narnia. Except, take the Narnia series and mix up all the books, except for the last one. I mean, the beginning was fine. Interesting, even. But then... Things started to derail and it kind of snowballed from there. Wait, talking trees? Oh, is this a different dimension? Well what's HE got to do with this? Then, just: What?
So, I think I get how it starts, and I definitely know how it ends, but
'S just my opinion
Jul 14, 2015 'S just my opinion rated it did not like it
The book sounded promising, but ultimately didn't deliver. I found the pacing to be slow and the heroine rather boring. Most of the time she sat around wondering what to do. Even after receiving advice, she had to be taken in hand--or carried--to the places she needed to go in order to accomplish the things she was supposed to do. It makes me wonder why all the folks thought she was so special in the first place. And the whole romance felt awkward and ultimately unsatisfying.
Dee
Jul 08, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
The first time I read this book I was about 12 years old. Given how many books I devoured at that age and then forgot completely, the mere fact that I remember this one so fondly says a lot. I am 30 now, and pleased to discover that, under the test of time, this book holds up beautifully. I highly recommend it.
Bari
Jul 29, 2011 Bari rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This book was originally published in 1993 and was republished in 2007. I am glad the publishers decided to reprint this book, it was amazing. I loved it. It's a fast read b/c you don't want to put it down. If your looking for a good fantasy read and are tired of the Vampires give this a try, you won't be sorry. I read it one day.
Rachel Watson
Aug 30, 2008 Rachel Watson rated it liked it
Started out very good, but petered out somewhere along the way. She either read A Wrinkle in Time first, and was greatly influenced, or there was a strange mental connection between her and Madeline L'Engle.
Mary
Aug 07, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
One of the most powerful reads of my youth. I've returned to this one several times. I just love the way this book opens up into more and more mystery until it drops you into another world altogether.
Tessa Low
Nov 26, 2010 Tessa Low rated it liked it
The concept, from start to finish and in the moments between, was utterly splendid. It just got too explicit for my liking, and while I can say I loved the rest, that segment almost killed me, especially since I read this at 14.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of YA Sci Fi
Shelves: mg-fantasy
This book was much better the first time I read it -- at the tender age of 10. Still, it's a good story.
Natasha
Jun 11, 2012 Natasha rated it it was amazing
All of the main characters in the story felt like people even the obviously non-human ones. Alien world was hauntingly beautiful.
Pam
Jul 05, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read
recommendation from Zack.
Margaret
Apr 13, 2015 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2015
A quick read, this was a very classic sort of good vs. evil fantasy with a few sci-fi touches.
Mimi
Nov 05, 2011 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A refreshing great read. But the ending! :(
Ardra
This book was written by the wife of Tim's old boss, a writing professor at Duke. I haven't read the version that is currently out--apparently it was re-written quite a bit.
Moses
May 12, 2008 Moses rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-07-08
Surprisingly good. The story draws you in, the characters are not cardboard cutouts, and it's thought-provoking and terrifying.
Dawn Graham
Oct 20, 2016 Dawn Graham rated it did not like it
It started out great and went downhill fast after that. I don't think I have ever rated a book with one star before. This is a first and not even worth the time of a full review. It was horrible.
Rebecca
Aug 30, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
This started out really great, but petered out somewhere along the way. The author had either read A Wrinkle in Time or there was a weird mind connection between her and Madeline L'Engle.
Elizabeth
Mar 06, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-book-club, ya
July 2012 selection by Victoria
Kaye
Jul 19, 2012 Kaye added it
Shelves: to-be-continued
I have this problem with reading books, i'm currently reading this book then i'll start reading another then bla blah. haha i'll just continue it soon
Tracy
Mar 05, 2010 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
cheesy ending
Loviegriffin
Jan 31, 2015 Loviegriffin is currently reading it
Shelves: fav-books
This the most amazing book I've read other than to kill a mocking bird and the mortakl instruments and dead lock plus what looks like crazy on an ordinary day
Sonja
Apr 18, 2009 Sonja rated it it was amazing
wow it took me forever to figure out the name of this book i read a month or so ago. it was a good book...where is it at?? hmmmm
i liked the strainge new world she discovers.
Lovie Griffin
Dec 27, 2014 Lovie Griffin rated it it was amazing
This is this is the most amazing book ever
Daniel Floyd
Feb 10, 2010 Daniel Floyd rated it really liked it
Original plot, I must say.
Karlene
Karlene rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Somebodies
  • My Favorite Thief (Orphan, #2)
  • Extraordinary*: *The True Story of My Fairygodparent, Who Almost Killed Me, and Certainly Never Made Me a Princess
  • The Merman's Children
  • Princess From Another Planet
  • The Book of the Sword (Samurai Girl, #1)
  • The Taste of Lightning
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Knight Life (Modern Arthur, #1)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure (Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms #2)
  • Jars of Glass
  • Key Holder of the Realms (Tales of the Whosawhachits, #1)
  • The Day Boy and the Night Girl
  • The Stones of Muncaster Cathedral
  • The Pigman's Legacy (The Pigman, #2)
  • Young Joan
Christina Askounis holds a B.A. from Mary Washington College of the University of Virginia and an M.A.from The Johns Hopkins University Writing Seminars.

Her writing experience encompasses newspaper journalism, television and film scriptwriting, poetry and fiction; her short stories have appeared in popular magazines and in Image: A Journal of the Arts and Religion. A novel, The Dream of the Stone,
More about Christina Askounis...

“Only one who knows himself to be neither wise nor good can begin to be either.” 3 likes