Start by marking “The Middle Passage (Cat Royal, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
The Middle Passage (Cat Royal, #5.5)

The Middle Passage

(Cat Royal Adventures #5.5)

Librarian's note: This is a free downloadable novella. See the book url for more information.

On board the Dolphin somewhere in the Atlantic, this day August 24th 1792, the crew will be presenting a Two Act Play:

THE MIDDLE PASSAGE

starring Miss Catherine Royal and Mr Billy Shepherd.

Prepare to set sail for a new adventure.
Published 2010

Shovelmonkey1
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: chidlets who like history with their mystery
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: kindle freeness
Whilst navigating the virtual world of e-books I foundered upon this perky nautical yarn laid out as part prose, part play and bundled up as a historical fiction novella. The Middle Passage refers to the section of the slave traders journey taken from West Africa to the Americas once the business of acquiring slaves had been transacted. Therefore it is something of a mystery to me why the book should be so named when the content of the book deals solely with a series of events taking place on th ...more
Belinda
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
3,75 stars - English Ebook - I have dyslexia -
- I would have much prefereer not mir myself in the ugly web of the trade in human misère, but it seemed impossible to live in the British Empire without being implicated in what we were doing to our fellow men. Thinking of that iniguitous trade, I was reminded of my friends, Petro and Jenny, who had stayed in San Domingo to help the rebel slaves fight for their freedom. -
Short Historical read. Liked it. Do do not like slavernij and admire this you
Saba (Mybookfortress)
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was exciting for a Middle Passage before the last book, the story was going on fast, and interesting!
And there were the hilarious scenes , since there was Mr William Shepherd present! I mean...

“I think she’s pleased,’ commented Billy. ‘If she’s deprived of speech, it’s usually a good sign. Long may it last!”

And also there were the scenes when...

“Oops. I’d forgotten while teasing that he would soon be free.
‘I’m so angry, I could kiss you,’ he growled.
‘Don’t,’ I gulped.
‘Say “please”.’
‘Please do
Brittany Goodman
Fun

A fun adventure story for the young at heart. Uniquely formatted and exciting. The characters are loveable and the plot carries us away.
Andrew
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, childrens
This short story, while lacking the depth and intensity of Golding's Cat Royal novels, should tide readers over until the next book comes out in the US. It does feature Cat's strong personality, and her love/hate relationship with Billy Shepard. This is absolutely not the place to start with Cat Royal's adventures, but for fans, this is a nice treat between novels.(Also, you know, free, so there's that.)
Nadine Heroux
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i really enjoy the cat royal series this one in particular is one of my favorites. billy kisses cat eeek!!! (hate that guy such a....crook) okay so i love this old time back drop, the action,the humor,and the romance. GREAST read the sory is really well put together!
Nadhirah
Nice little romp with a small mystery to be solved. I’m so desperate to read the final book in the series.
Abicxx
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reads
I almost forgot that there’s a novella to go alongside this series that takes place between the fifth and sixth book so when I dug out my kindle for the first time in probably a year, I decided to re-read it because it perfectly aligned to where I was up to in reading the main series. While this novella might be really short, it is still exactly the same lively tone and engaging characters that we’re used to in the main books and has a small mystery to solve as well which keeps the plot moving. ...more
Caddy
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Cat Royal is an orphan raised in the Drury Lane theater. The Middle Passage is a novella 80 pages long that takes place between the fifth and sixth Cat Royal books. You can download it on Julia Golding's website.

The year is 1792, and William Herschel has recently discovered Uranus. Cat and her friend Billy are sailing from Tortuga to England. They stop at Angra do Heroismo in the Azores while their ship is being repaired, staying with the Flanders family. The two oldest siblings, Peter and Mabel
moxieBK
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA, Pirates
This is a short story set in the middle between two books.

I did not know that when I download and read this book, so I felt a little disoriented in the story at first. However, this story does give the is reader a good sampling of the author's style and writing. For that, I was hooked into the story and wanted to know more about these characters.

It's just a little slice of life story, with a little mystery mixed in, and I can say I wasn't sorry I read it. At the end of the book, I really l
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
This takes place right after Black Heart of Jamaica, on Cat and Billy's journey back to England. It's a little mystery story about a stolen telescope with some Cat/Billy relationship development, but really not much happens. I'm still not sold on Cat/Billy, so, this story was OK, but didn't really do much for me.

Note: Got this as a free EPUB download from the author's site (she also has PDF and an online version), but it's also a free e-book on Amazon for those with the Kindle.
Anya (An Awful Lot of Reading)
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A cute little novella, set at sea, just after Cat has left Jamaica with the one and only Billy Shepard. Of course, these two immediately make a good story - their relationship had recently taken a turn to the strange and almost romantic, if it wasn't for Billy's harsh words and Cat's sharp kicks to his shins.

Book 5.5 tells of Cat and Billy making new friends on the settlement of Angra do Heroismo, only to get caught up in the theft of a prized telescope. All the typical clever devices are there
Lara
This is a short novella that takes place after Black Heart of Jamaica, during Cat and Billy's voyage back to England. It's basically just a quick little mystery involving a stolen telescope. Pretty simplistic, and nothing you'll be missing if you don't read it, but it's a fun little bridge between the last book and the next, if you're just dying for more of Cat and Billy.
Kell
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Kindle e-book.

I’m quite sad to have finished all the Cat Royal books as I’ve enjoyed them a great deal. I sincerely hope Golding decides to write Cat’s further adventures at some point, as I’m sure she’ll continue to have an exciting life packed with all manner of adventures. This one occurs between the last two books and is available for free download.
Margaret Metz
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a short and fun read in a hybrid of novel and play styles. What I liked most was the author's voice and the characters. This isn't the sort of reading that challenges you to deep thinking, but it was entertaining and made me smile. I would look forward to more titles by the same author and that is a good sign. :o)
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

Nothing spectacular. I must say I expected a bit more....

I swear if Billy ends up with Cat, I'm done. I'm out. That is it. I hate Billy. He can have his "second...third....fourth...fifth...sixth chance" elsewhere. And I have a feeling he's sticking around.
Xolindsayxx18
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Printed this off after finishing Black Heart of Jamica and though it wasn't as great an adventure as is normal for Cat I really did enjoy it. I was glad to have it as an in between. It even made me like Billy even more. I am really warming up to him.
Nicole
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little story which is a lot of fun! I did not realise that this was in the middle of a series of books as it did not require knowledge of story arcs or characters. Good bit of distraction!
J. Ewbank
This two act play is very interesting and enjoyable reading. The characters are believable and interesting, an even in some cases, lovable.It was a good but short mystery. I will read more by this author.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man,and the 'Isms'".
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Boring.
Rosie
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I love these books, but this one was abit to short!
Aine
Feb 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
I got through 30% of it. And, um... zzzzzzzzzzzz I'm not even sure what I read, it was so boring.
Emma B
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Just got this book because it was free on the Kindle best sellers. An easy read, not boring but not riveting either.
Lindsay
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, fiction, z2011
A quick and light, but enjoyable read.
Kristy
Jun 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Blahhhh. I almost fell asleep reading this...but come to think of it I probably would have gotten more intellectual stimulation from sleep than reading this.
Kate
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
it was ok good way to continue the story
Katya
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Billy's turning up to be a more agreeable character after all. A satisfyingly enjoyable novella.
Lauren
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a free novella on the Kindle app and I would like to find the rest of the story.
Camille
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
It is a good book. It is FREE ont he Kindle that is why I read it LOL
Tasha
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A pleasant little novella, though has more than a few grammatical errors. I'm intrigued by this Billy/Cat relationship.

• My Beautiful Disaster (The Pathway Collection, #2)
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • Always Watching (The Rayne Tour, #1)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Little Known
  • Eliza's Daughter
  • Cat Calls
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1)
  • Woman of Sin
  • Concrete Underground
  • Booth's Sister
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1)
  • Beyond the Reflection's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #1)
My journey to becoming an author has been a roundabout one, taking in many other careers. I grew up on the edge of Epping Forest and was that dreamy kind of child who was always writing stories. After reading English at Cambridge, I decided to find out as much as I could about the wider world so joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland. My work as a diplomat took me from the high point of to ...more

Cat Royal Adventures (7 books)
  • The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1)
  • Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal, #2)
  • Den of Thieves (Cat Royal, #3)
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • Black Heart of Jamaica (Cat Royal, #5)
  • Cat's Cradle (Cat Royal, #6)
“perch on the wall” 0 likes