Start by marking “Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)” as Want to Read:
Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)

Mad Scientist

(Babymouse #14)

The greatest scientific discovery of the 21st century is about to be revealed . . . when Babymouse enters the school science fair! Will her amazing discovery win 1st place? Will it become a successful spin off series? Find out in Babymouse: Mad Scientist! Mad Scientist is the 14th graphic novel in the award-winning series and the Babymouse that begins the amazing adventure ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Random House Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Mad Scientist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Scientist

Calista
School Science Fair!

Babymouse gets involved in science which she isn't really that great at. Several famous female scientist are mentioned in this.

This is also Jennifer's way of introducing a new character that has his own series named Squish, an amoeba. I think this issue is more about introducing this new series and luring readers. I didn't think there was all that much to Squish. I will not be reading that.

It was cute, it wasn't the best in the series. Still, it's Babymouse.
Wendi Lee
I've enjoyed all the Babymouse books so far, and this was no exception. Here, Babymouse prepares for a science fair by growing an amoeba (surprise, it's Squish!) who inhales cupcakes. Her daydream sequences are as elaborate as ever, including a Star Trek reverie.
Kayla Cockrill
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love baby mouse books but it is really short so I wish it was a longer book
Mir
This was super cute and I loved the concept. I kept wishing there were more... something. More science? More positivity about science? Not sure. This is my first encounter with Babymouse, though, so maybe I would have loved it more if I had started at the beginning. I'll probably go find the first book soon.
Angie
Apr 20, 2015 added it
Title: Babymouse: Mad Scientist
Primary
Briefly evaluate the use of text and images for each book. Describe a possible application and audience for each book.

The illustrations are mostly black and white with a little pink thrown in, until the end when Babymouse finds an amoeba name Squish who is green. Most of the text is in speech bubbles. There are boxes of text at the top that aid you in knowing where and when the story is currently taking place. It is still sometimes difficult to decipher wha
Leah
Oct 30, 2014 added it
Babymouse Mad Scientist by Jennifer L Holm and Matthew Holm is another book in the Babymouse series about a young girl mouse. In this book, Babymouse does a science experiment for a fair. She has trouble picking a topic, until her dad gives her an idea about researching amoebas. She is not doing well in her science class, so she wants to impress everyone with her science fair project. Upon her research, she examines an amoeba under a microscope. This green amoeba turns out to be able to talk and ...more
Elizabeth
The 14th installment of this popular series finds Babymouse up to her usual antics: daydreaming while attempting to conquer her latest interest. This one is the science fair, encouraged by her father she begins to study amoebas. Little does she know they're not as boring as one would think . . .

Filled with humor and sly references to pop culture, Babymouse should be read with care, lest you miss a hilarious aside or picture. This installment also does double duty as an introduction to Squish, wh
Susie
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am going to have to be sure to read all of the Babymouse books! Being a former science teacher, there was so much I enjoyed in reading this. I like the way Holm creates humor that appeals to both students and adults. Of course, I cringed when the entire class was growing mold to demonstrate the scientific method (not a bad idea, but I've seen it hundreds of times!), and amoebas are not green. But, other than that, the book is so clever and funny. It's a great example of how graphic novels can ...more
kristen
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Yippee! A female protagonist adorably tackling a science project wearing her heart adorned lab coat. Favorite part was her meeting Squish the Amoeba (starring in his own series) under the microscope and saying "this is like Horton Hears a Who" as they talk to each other.
Penny Maiken
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT!!! This graphic novel was so cute, Babymouse is such a sweet character and I loved her story!
Lela
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Babymouse: Mad Scientist - Elementary

The main character of this story is an imaginative young female rodent named Babymouse. She does her best to conquer the frustrating world of “The Science Fair,” and along the way discovers a surprising new friend in the form of an amoeba named Squish. At first glance, this graphic novel is confusing. The panels change from black and white to colored frames, seemingly at random. It is only after a second or third read (and some internal dialogue of my own), t
Dolly
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is the fourteenth book in the Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. The plot centers on Babymouse's experiences preparing for the school science fair. I liked the fact that the science teacher explains the Scientific Method to the class, and that the story encourages children to be curious and examine the world around them.

As usual, things don't work out very smoothly for Babymouse, but she discovers a new friend. I thought the introduction of Squish the amoeba was enterta
Bella
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like the book from the Rainbow Magic series I read this summer, I reserved and picked up this title to check out what appeals the Babymouse series might have for elementary school-aged children (I've seen mostly Gr. 3/4 picking up this book).

There is one important factor that would have led me to drag my steps in my reading: I've found myself excessively confused and overwhelmed by the colourful and busy layouts of graphic novels and comic strips. The book's humour engaged me, however, to the po
Summer Gutierrez
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Babymouse Mad Scientist is one of a fourteen book series about a mouse doing an array of outrageous things. In Mad Scientist, Babymouse takes you through famous scientist throughout the times as she is preparing to make her own discovery for the school science fair. After her dad give Babymouse a telescope she looks into some pound water to find some very mysterious amoebas.

Babymouse Mad Scientist is a graphic novel that is for children around the ages of 7 to 11. The colors are simple with a t
Sarah W
Mad Scientist was my first read in the Babymouse series. Babymouse's frequent daydreams were amusing. Her inattention causes problems, including a familial accident. I enjoyed the moments where her dad read to her. As a librarian, I loved her excitement at a wrapped book. I also well understood her frustration at hearing her dad's excitement about the science fair when she wanted to hear the end of the fairy tale he'd been reading.

Having recently read Squish I enjoyed the tie-ins between the two
Becky B
The science fair is coming up and Babymouse's dad encourages her to enter saying she may be the first scientist in the family. In between scifi daydreams, her dad helps her work on an amoeba project, which means Babymouse gets to meet Squish.

I really enjoyed the Babymouse/Squish crossover in this one. And that cupcakes are the key to her success. There seemed to be more daydreams in this one than in some of the others. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the scifi nods, but it felt like the story was
Doris
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Babymouse once again entertains her fans with graphic novel style antics. In number fourteen, she must come up with an idea for the science fair. Many possibilities exist and we learn much about famous scientists and her new science teacher who loves mold. The teacher does a good job explaining the Scientific Method which will come in handy for many! Babymouse, as always, figures out a way to create havoc all around her. Amoebas turn out to be her best bet with Squish, a cupcake loving amoeba, p ...more
Tricia
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Since we recently read Squish: Super Amoeba, I thought we should go back to the Babymouse book where he first appeared. I think I've flipped through a couple of babymouse books before (my boys have read quite a few), but never really got into them. This one is kind of cute, and you even learn a few factoids about amoeba while reading. One thing that bothered me, though: if Babymouse spends so much time daydreaming about scientific discoveries, why isn't she more interested in actually doing scie ...more
Lady Knight
I was relatively disappointed with this offering. Babymouse is a great way to get reluctant readers into books and while this was still a good read, a lot of the vocabulary was beyond what most kids in the 7-10 range can handle (and I don't just mean the scientific jargon). That said, I really did like the introduction to Squish and the friendship that grew between him and Babymouse.
Shelli
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Warning! After reading this book your children will want to break out the Petri dishes and microscope. Babymouse has to come up with a project for her schools science fair. Young readers will learn all about the Scientific Method right along with Babymouse. Congratulations to Jennifer and Matthew Holm for making science fun. Her ameba, named Squish, looks as though he will have his own graphic novel spin off series. Stranger things have happened then a book series about protozoan life right? The ...more
Heidi
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Many of the girls at my school love this series, so I will be adding the books from the series that the library doesn't already have. This book provides a light, fun read. There is a slight plot involving a science fair and the introduction of Squish, the amoeba. I did enjoy Babymouse's daydreaming, it reminded me of my own daydreaming tendencies, past and present. Overall, recommended for those who like the series.
Karly Kovac
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this was a really cute book! It demonstrates that if you set your mind to something you can do it! Babymouse's dad really wanted to be a scientist when he was little but it never happened. He was hoping Babymouse would be the first scientist in the family. Babymouse wants to become famous from the science fair and although she enters it and doesn't become famous, she still has a great time!
Jessica
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have a new appreciation for science fairs, thanks to my kids. I understand Babymouse's boredom and irritation at having to watch mold grow on bread, and not having the mold actually grow. . .

This book is also the introduction of a character called Squish, who has his own series. I'll have to check those out!
Robin
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Clearly I was remiss in starting the new series by the same author (Squish) without reading the 'origin story' so I am reading it now and thinking about how much I like Babymouse because she is a slightly distracted female character who has trouble paying attention in school, characteristics that are usually attributed to male characters in literature. Babymouse rocks!
Mary Hood
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was my first ever graphic novel. I would like to add some of these titles to my classroom library. I liked the humor in this book and there was actually some good scientific information woven into it. This book is good for engaging young readers in graphic novels, giving children a different type of book to read in addition to beginning chapter books.
Deanna Mcdonough
This was an interesting graphic novel. It taught about the Sceinctic Method, and how to use it. This is the adventure of Babymouse as she tries to be a scienctis. I really didn't enjoy the book. I'm not really into comic books/graphic novels. I get why graphic novels are so popular but there just not my thing.
Stefanie Kellum
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
While this wasn't my favorite in the series, Holm and Holm can do no wrong in my eyes. This time Babymouse is tackling the science fair, and she meets a new single-celled friend along the way. Say hello to Squish, who literally adds a little color (green) to the Babymouse series. He'll have a series of his own soon, which I'm sure elementary kids will eat up as well.
Shaniya Washington
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
babymouse dreaming about pirate and other things. babymouse's dad want babymouse to join science fair. babymouse go to get something in pond. she get amoebas. she is curious that amoebas eat cupcakes before. squish ate cupcakes many times. at science fair then people do amoebas projects. then judges is getting boring and they didn't know amoebas eat cupcakes then she got second place.
Samantha
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Poor Babymouse. Her wiskers are always wrinkled, her room is a wreck, and she can't seem to keep from daydreaming when she should be listening. Can she get herself together to have a winning entry in the Science Fair? With her dad's support and a little help from her science teacher, she might just pull it off!
Catherine
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I thought the other two that I read were cute, but this one seems like it is all over the place.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
MCC Children's Li...: Fun educational novel 1 1 Apr 17, 2012 11:29AM

• Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle, #3)
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Around the World
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • Owly  Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • And Then There Were Gnomes: Book 2
  • Fashion Kitty
  • Into the Volcano
  • Sidekicks
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra

Babymouse (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
  • Beach Babe (Babymouse, #3)
  • Rock Star (Babymouse, #4)
  • Heartbreaker (Babymouse, #5)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • Skater Girl (Babymouse, #7)
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • The Musical (Babymouse #10)