Start by marking “Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes” as Want to Read:
Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes

Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes

(Pete the Cat)

Time to head back to school with this bestselling groovy Pete the Cat book!

Pete the Cat is rocking in his school shoes. Pete discovers the library, the lunch room, the playground, and lots of other cool places at school. And no matter where he goes, Pete never stops moving and grooving and singing his song...because it’s all good.

The fun never stops—download the free
Published July 26th 2011 by HarperCollins

Start your review of Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
Candace
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pete the Cat is back rocking in his new school shoes. Every new school experience Pete sings about rocking, reading, eating, playing, singing, painting, adding, and writing in his new school shoes. The colorful illustrations keep the child eagerly engaged as he or she follows Pete on his different school adventures. A nice introduction for kindergartners and first grade students to school activities.
Erma Talamante
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-reviewed
Full review pending...

Read at Barnes & Nobles' storytime...

Pete is a funky little cat with a cool, laid-back attitude. Nothing gets to him as he keeps on singing!
midnightfaerie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pete the Cat books rock. Didn't know anything about them, until I saw a Pete the Cat class at my local library for my K-5 grade and signed him up. Then I checked out some of the books, to see if he'd like them. Not only did he love them, but my 2 yr old twins do as well. He's laid back, cool, and groovy with beautiful and colorful illustration. All three of my kids love finding the yellow bird that follows him around on every page. (Makes me think of my Richard Scary books I had as a kid where I ...more
Alissa
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book can be a little bit awkward to read since Pete the Cat sings a song throughout the book. But this became a quick favorite when we checked out the website to hear the book read aloud complete with the song. (www.harpercollinschildrens.com/peteth...) The kids danced and danced to the music and were quickly reciting the book along with the recording.
Hector Gutierrez
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, funny-books
Nice book I would use it to practice rhymes and sing along with the class. I would also talk about Pete's positiveness, and how important it is to have a positive spirit and attitude in the class and at home.
Chantel
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my nephew and we had a blast! I love Eric Litwin's writing style! I feel like it has a groovy beat to it. Definitely a fun book to read! ...more
Brittany McCarty
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Guided Reading: K
Grade 2
Lexile Level: 300
This young children’s picture book tells the story of Pete on his first day of school. Pete is excited because he is wearing his school shoes. Pete goes into his classroom where he is learning to read and goes on a trip to the library. In the library he sings his favorite song, “I’m reading in my school shoes.” After the library, Pete goes to the lunchroom and eats in his school shoes before going to the playground. Pete sings his song all day long with
Carolyn Cirasole
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
FANTASY--- I LOVE Pete the Cat books! They're such a great way to get younger children excited about reading. Pete the Cat books are engaging and interactive which is exactly what Kindergarteners need. Pete the Cat:Rocking in My School Shoes would be the perfect book for those jittery first days of shcool for the younger ages. Pete is ready to tackle the schol bus, the lunch room and the playground all while wearing his school shoes. It seems no matter what kind of obstacles or activities Pete ...more
Alesha
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Move over Welcome to Kindergarten because Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes is my new favorite book for new Kindergarteners. Maybe I was a little biased because after the classroom, the first place Pete visits in his school shoes is the library! Although he's never been there before, Pete doesn't worry (goodness no!), instead he finds his favorite book and sings his song "I'm reading in my school shoes!" He visits other important schoolyard locales (the playground, lunchroom) and does ...more
Mrs. Cubby Culbertson
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I LOVE this book. Especially when I have the opportunity to share it with my FridyBoyz!! We LOVE Pete the Cat!
Stephanie  Weatherly
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably my son's favorite Pete the Cat book.
Abigail
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed the First Story About Peter the Cat
Pete the Cat proves that whatever his footwear, he's one cool customer in this second picture-book devoted to his adventures, following upon the initial Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes . This time our intrepid feline is wearing his red school shoes, shoes that take him through any number of activities throughout the day. Pete just sings his favorite song as he goes along, because: "It's all good."

Like its predecessor, Pete the Cat: Rocking In My School Shoes pairs an entertaining sing-song
Erik D
Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin (2011) Illustrated by James Dean
Join Pete the cat as he rocks his school shoes through the classroom, library, lunchroom, playground, and even the bus! Written by author, musician, and song-writer Eric Litwin, the reading of the book evokes a musical tune as Pete’s “rocking his school shoes” refrain is repeated at every location he visits. Beautifully illustrated with paintings by James Dean, the lines, color, and texture transport readers
Halley Todd
Pete the cat is just too cool while he is in school. Pete is just beginning school, and has some truly awesome school shoes that he is obsessed with. All day long as he discovers new things about school, he never worries or gets intimidated because he has not done something before, mostly because he knows his school shoes are cool. This story incorporates great practices for younger readers by including questions about where Pete is (i.e. the library, the lunchroom). The rhyming of the words ...more
Tiffany
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
Genre: PB9

This is a great series written by Eric Litwin that makes kids and adults want to get up and sing and dance while they read the book! I love books that can incorporate many ideas and actions into one story and this book does just that. The book allows the reader and the audience to sing, follow patterns and practice their colors all while following Pete the cat through his day at school. Pete the cat is wonderfully illustrated and helps draw readers into his world. The story keeps the
Bryce Akey
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading “Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes." I decided to read this book to my eight year old sister. This book is about a cat named Pete who owns an awesome pair of red shoes. While he’s at school he does fun activities in his shoes, and sings about them. Pete reads in his school shoes, he eats in his school shoes, and he also plays in his shoes. Pete can’t wait to go to school again so he can rock in his school shoes.

The main character of this book is Pete. Pete is a black cat
Zina
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This is a fun little story about Pete the Cat going to school in his school shoes. Pete rocks out at the bus stop, in the classroom, in the library, in the cafeteria, on the playground and he sings his song about what he is doing in his school shoes. For example, he was singing, painting, adding and playing in his school shoes. What I liked most about the book is that it leads the reader into the next place Pete will be while at school, by giving them clues and asking the reader questions. It ...more
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Here comes Pete
strolling down the street,
rocking red shoes
on his four furry feet.”

Pete completely charmed the socks (and shoes) off of me! :D From that look in his eyes to his cool, cool ways, Pete’s story made me giggle and grin from ear to ear!

Pete’s tale of jumping right into new things and adventures will show readers of any age how we can land on our feet if we relax and go with the flow!

4/25/12
Rachel Kinney
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
I chose this book for the Monarch Award. This story is a fun and interactive sing-a-long story about Pete the Cat and his school shoes. I love that this story is fun and energetic and makes it seem like a breeze to make it through the school day. This would be a great book for kindergartners who are having a hard time making it through a full day of school because he rocks his day at school until he gets back home. The audio CD that goes with this book is a favorite in my classroom!
Joy
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cats, childrens
My grade schooler thought this book was hilarious. He loves cats and we read this right before school started again. I love the positivity of Pete the Cat- no first day of school jitters for him as he sings his song and rocks the whole day in his fabulous red shoes. It’s a wonderful back-to-school book for young kids, and especially encouraging for kindergartners.
Eyehavenofilter
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pete has returned with some hot to trot shoes... So so cute and attracting much attention both positive and negative... Maybe some are jealous... Who's to say... But as usual Pete wins the daddy cause he's PETE! And we love him!
This is a way for kids to get to know him better and to know themselves better as well.
JoyAnn
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hope I remember this book when my kids start Kindergarten or if the ever have to switch schools. It's so positive and fun and could really put young kids at ease that are transitioning at a school. "Does Pete worry? Goodness, no!" And the repetitive song throughout is fun for read alouds (or should I say sing alouds).
Brittany Long
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 5 year old cousin was the first person to introduce me to Pete the Cat. In this story Pete is going to school for the first time, and as he encounters all the different areas of the school "Does he worry?/ Goodness no..." I would use this book in a kindergaten class on the first day of class. It would be fun to have them interacting and trying to guess where Pete ends up by the clues given.
Brittney Daniel
Oh how I love these stories. Pete the cat is so cool. His books incorporates rhymes as well as questions that children can answer while reading the stories. Pete the cat rocking his cool shoes can also introduce colors to younger children who are learning their colors.
Irina
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to use during music. I used it when I subbed in a music class a year or so ago.
Lindsey Bishop
The kids loved this book. When they get school shoes they want to show them off this book shows that.
Alyson
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I was worried I would not like the sequel as much, but the school material is great and Pete's personality shines through.
Keyann Griffin
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book can be used to introduce students to their new environment. It is also good for introducing schedules. I would use this book for kindergarten or pre-k.
Thu Nguyen
Another book in the series. It takes childn to the school setting which is familiar with them. It teaches children to enjoy school and all the activities in school. It's all good!
Heather
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
not as catchy as the original but still fun
School Shoes: Top Tips for Buying Them 1 1 Apr 08, 2019 08:42AM
Red Dot Books: Ea...: Sing-along with Pete the Cat 1 2 Oct 21, 2012 02:46AM
Red Dot Books: Ea...: See Think Wonder? 1 1 Oct 21, 2012 01:58AM
Red Dot Books: Ea...: What Makes You Say That? 1 1 Oct 21, 2012 01:51AM

• Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey
  • Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach
  • Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion (Knuffle Bunny, #3)
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • You Will Be My Friend!
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete
  • Pete the Cat: Scuba-Cat
  • Pete the Cat and the Tip-Top Tree House
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
Eric Litwin (Mr. Eric) is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of guy. He is the # 1 New York Times Best Selling author of the first four Pete the Cat picture books and the author of the new musical series The Nuts. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a ...more

Pete the Cat (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes