Start by marking “Let's Panic About Babies!: How to Endure and Possibly Triumph Over the Adorable Tyrant who Will Ruin Your Body, Destroy Your Life, Liquefy Your Brain, and Finally Turn You into a Worthwhile Human Being” as Want to Read:

BABIES. Maybe you're thinking of having one. There might even be one inside you right now, draining nutrients from your system via a tube growing from its midsection. Or maybe you've already got one around the house, somewhere, and you're responsible for its continued survival. You're saddled with a helpless being whom you've agreed to house and feed and love with all your ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Let's Panic About Babies!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Panic About Babies!

Alice
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I probably shouldn't rate a book that I co-wrote, so the above five stars are for the parts that Eden wrote only. Although I can't remember which those are. At any rate, they're five-star-worthy. HER parts.
Librariann
Apr 18, 2011 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: 2011
In its first two pages, this book elicited two lols, a chuffle, and a sustained grin.

Secret ambition: to pass this book onto Mike in hopes that he will no longer panic about babies and (maybe) decide to actually father one before my ovaries shrivel up for good.

p.s. Am I the only one who wants to type this book's title as Let's Panic! About Babies? Okay, good to know.
Mary
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delight. Chortling. Outloud laughing. I wish I had read this book from the moment I was pregnant, because it's in this sweet spot of 90% parody, 10% actual information. The illustrations are especially charming. My new baby-shower gift.
Robin
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book, for me, was the perfect antidote to all the other books and websites I read while pregnant. Ironically, every time a Serious Baby Book sent me into panic about what was about to happen to me (particularly since I had a scheduled c-section and several of said Serious Books were rather intentionally frightening on the topic) I would pick up Let's Panic and feel much better.

It has also provided hours of entertainment for both my mother and mother-in-law when they come over to help with t
Martha Weaver
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Loved this book! I laughed so hard I cried. If you have had a difficult pregnancy or have felt at any point that pregnancy wasn't as beautiful and wonderful as everyone makes you feel like it should be, then this is the book for you. Also love the parts about cats and how they are out to get our baby seeing as that is what everyone keeps telling us.
Allison
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
So this book cracked me up. There are a lot of laugh out loud funny parts. For Example: "Have you encountered dampness in the pants area whenever you chuckle at a Family Circus cartoon? Good news: you're not in early labor! You're only peeing on yourself". That may be only funny to those have experienced the joy of pregnancy, but I fit those requirements. I also felt inspired to get a shirt that says "I'm not fat. I'm just pregnant". Mine should probably more appropriately say "Yes, I'm fat, bu ...more
Jennifer Pratt
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Oh LOOK! A funny book about having a baby! Only it totally isn't It'll make you just as paranoid and hysterical about all the crap you don't know or understand as the "What To Expect When..." books will. They DO have lawyers at the publishing company after all. You CAN'T tell women that it's really probably fine to eat soft cheeses and that if they grew up with pets they're already immune to toxoplasmosis. And that if you don't breast feed your baby until it's like 13 years old it probably will ...more
Justyna
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
People should know that this book is intended to be humorous and not necessarily filled with actual/useful advice. That being said, I still didn't care for it. I heard about this book after listening to an old episode of a podcast where the author was being interviewed. I liked her personality and found her to be funny, so I ordered the book. I kind of wish I hadn't. Don't get me wrong, I love a funny book. But I kind of prefer to have humor AND something informative. This had maybe 2% useful th ...more
Michelle
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book in between the more serious baby books, and it was good to get a break! Sometimes the book felt like, Eh, stop trying so hard to be funny, but most of the time, I appreciated the humor. Because, yes, babies are miracles and they are amazing, but also, pregnancy, labor and delivery, and actual caregiving can be weird and funny. Or sometimes horrible! But you need to laugh or at least approach it all with a lighter view. And this book helps with that! Also, as sarcastic as the boo ...more
Regina
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There is only one word to describe this book--HILARIOUS!!!! If you don’t have a sarcastic sense of humor, don’t even bother. It will most likely offend you. However, I thought this is, hands down, THE best “baby book” I have EVER read! (And I have read more than my fair share!) I would advise every mom-to-be to read this instead of the numerous other baby books that will simply perpetuate lie after lie. I plan to pass my copy around to unsuspecting mothers everywhere!

Laurie
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has or is reading endless pregnancy manuals, this book is a wonderful breath of fresh air! A hilarious parody of those books, this one successfully pokes fun at the craziness that can set in when you realize you're responsible for the life of a little human being. This book gave my husband and I some well-needed chuckles and was an excellent one to turn to, in snippets, as we made plans, read books, and tried to figure out what the heck we were doing. I highly recommend it!
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pregnancy-baby
This book is hilarious and a nice antidote to all those serious pregnancy books that seem lecture-y. Not funny all the way through but fun to flip though when one gets tired of reading the other ones.
Alanna
Nov 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh my God, why does this book exist? I do not understand. Perhaps people who don't have children (or more likely people who hate children) might find this funny, but I do not see how anyone with a baby they love could get beyond one page of this book without being irrevocably offended.
Rita Arens
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
HEE-LAR-EE-OUS. Old-timey pictures meet extreme dry wit. Subject: pregnancy. Fun to discuss at cocktail parties and student council meetings.
Miranda
Apr 04, 2011 marked it as to-read
I don't think I really want to read this book as it appears that it will end up telling me babies are actually good. I prefer to disregard the last part of the title.

Oh heck, I would read it.
Kathleen
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, comedy
It was funny for about 100 pages. After that, it just seemed like the authors were trying way too hard to be quirky and funny. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I not read it all in one go.
Brenda
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simply wonderful parody of the thousands of overly serious bppks on childbirth and early parenting. Such a tonic for those of us reading way too much about their imminent grandbabies!
Angella
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think every Mom (or Mom-to-be) needs to read this book. Unless, of course, you hate laughing.
Jessica
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was pretty funny. I read it cover to cover, but it may have been better just to flip to random pages. Good for a laugh and a not so rosy view of parenthood. Made me feel bad for my friends with kids.
Evonne
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will admit this is the only pregnancy book I read while pregnant. I laughed endlessly. 4 kids later it still makes me laugh.
Gospodyina
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's a cute gift for the suddenly pregnant.
Caitlin
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was an absolute hoot - and a good antidote to the baby books I've been trawling through.

Obviously, this book is satire. At least, I thought this was obvious - but reading some reviews, people are annoyed that there isn't any actual useful or accurate "advice" (I even read one review that took the authors to task for ascribing the wrong disease to cats.)

Which makes me laugh even more.

Think of this book like a long-form article on "The Onion". It's hilarious, and well-directed - by the t
Liz
3.5 stars. This book was incredibly sarcastic and a bit crude at times, but still laugh-out-loud funny in multiple parts. There were some bits that were SO ON POINT that I found myself wanting to copy them down verbatim and email them to all of my favorite friends. Some parts were just "meh." I think you have to be in the right mood to read it. I kind of think of it as the pregnancy version of I Am America by Stephen Colbert... quite outlandish, but still rather satirical and accurate at parts. ...more
Jen
Too vulgar for me. But I think Table 16.1, "How to Fix the Dumb Stuff You Said," is hilarious.
Here's one:
What you said: "Man, I am so tired."
Quick, backpedal: "And I haven't been working a tenth as hard as you have. You're amazing, did you know that?"
What you should have said: "Those boots you liked on Zappos.com -- let's order them. No, I will. You've done enough."
Damage control: Buy the boots, then make dinner.

Another one:
What you said: "How come I don't have any clean socks?"
Quick, backpedal
Rachel McCready-Flora
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preggos, partners of preggos, new parents
Shelves: baby-parenting
Sadly we didn't get through the whole book before we had to return it to the library, but this was so much fun to read through with my husband. Thank goodness for a lighthearted approach to pregnancy and having a baby to enjoy during the last (and quite ridiculous) month of pregnancy!

Four stars because sometimes it feels like the authors are trying a little too hard, but overall hilarious and a necessary dark view for this thing we call "the miracle of life" (who came up with that anyways?).
Bad Penny
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'd say this is more of a one-and-a-half star book. I found it totally unfunny and now I don't think I want to have a baby, because it sounds horrible. I'm sure for women who lived through all of the awful things this book talks about, it's funny to look back and laugh. For those of us who haven't yet, it sure isn't encouraging.

Edit: a lot of other people here said it's "trying too hard," and I agree. It's like Jenny Lawson wrote it or something.
CupcakeBlonde
I really wanted to love this book because I love Alice and Eden online and enjoy their blogs. But I felt after awhile the jokes got repetative and tired and needed to be about 100 pages shorter. Still funny, just not funny enough for me to last over 200+ pages. Perhaps if I were actually a parent or pregnant it would have been more entertaining. Maybe I'll reread when I get pregnant and see if I change my mind.
Marcy
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I haven't read all the way thru this book, but instead am enjoying little morsels here and there....and both my husband and I are loving it so far. He was nearly in years the other night, reading the section on swaddling a newborn! I've been a fan of Alice Bradley's blog for a long time, and this book is very much in line with her blog's writing style and humor.
Lindsay
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book had me crying with laughter as I flipped the pages. It's easy to read, more of a coffee table book actually. If you've ever had a baby, or if you are a first time mom-to-be and need some comic relief after days spent wretching into the nearest receptacles, watching your ankles disappear, and worrying about the color you will paint the nursery walls, then this book is for you.
Kristi
Jan 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, humor, parenting
This book had its moments, but overall, I just did not find it laugh out loud funny. The ludicrous, crass hyperbole about how pregnancy and babies ruin your life just got tiresome after 250+ pages. I'd rather read a book that either a) actually makes me laugh or b) encourages me that having kids is not the worst decision ever!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep: Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years
  • From the Hips: A Comprehensive, Open-Minded, Uncensored, Totally Honest Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, and Becoming a Parent
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • What's the Number For 911?: America's Wackiest 911 Calls
  • Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • The Garneau Block
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners Into Impolite Society
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth And The Newborn (2001) (Retired Edition)
  • Crawling: A Father's First Year
  • Baby Meets World: Suck, Smile, Touch, Toddle: A Journey Through Infancy
  • The Business of Baby: What Doctors Don't Tell You, What Corporations Try to Sell You, and How to Put Your Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Before Their Bottom Line
  • Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid They'd Ask): The Secrets to Surviving Your Child's Sexual Development from Birth to the Teens
  • A History Of Marriage
  • Honey, I Wrecked the Kids: When Yelling, Screaming, Threats, Bribes, Timeouts, Sticker Charts and Removing Privileges All Don't Work
  • Cooking Comically: Recipes So Easy You'll Actually Make Them
Hello! You can find me on my blog Finslippy (www.finslippy.com). I've also been featured in numerous anthologies, magazines and websites, including "The Best Creative Nonfiction, Vol. 2," Redbook, Nerve, The Sun, The Onion News Network, Fence, Berkeley Fiction Review, and Pank. I was nominated in 2009 and 2013 for a Pushcart Prize in nonfiction and fiction, respectively. Right now I'm editing an a ...more