Start by marking “Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!” as Want to Read:
Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!

Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!

6 stories about 2 surprising friends.

Having a stuffed alligator for a best friend can be surprising.

Sometimes Amanda surprises her alligator with books. Sometimes Alligator surprises Amanda by eating them.

But what happens when Amanda brings home a special—and not entirely welcome—surprise? The result might be unexpected indeed.

Beloved author-illustrator Mo Willems has crea
Published April 26th 2011 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!

David
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator! by Mo Willems has 6 stories about 2 friends: Amanda & her stuffed Alligator. There is a definite Calvin and Hobbes vibe here as you follow the tender story of two friends as a third character enters the mix. It's in a picture book format but nearly a beginning reader too.

There is waiting, impatience, suprises, tickles, thinking caps, boredom, head chewing, silly songs, dressing up, discoveries, friendship and new friends in this very funny book. The dia
Ronyell
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ronyell by: Kathryn
Alligator

After reading so many of Mo Willems’ fantastic books like Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, I was lucky to stumble upon this book called “Hooray for Amanda and her Alligator!” and I must admit that this book is probably one of Mo Willems’ cutest books ever written!

Amanda and Alligator (who happens to be a stuffed toy) are best friends and they love to surprise each other! Whether Amanda surprises Alligator or Alligator surprises Amanda back, the
Kathryn
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Mo Willems and I think Amanda and her Alligator are among my favorites of his creations. I don't want to spoil any of the surprises in this book (after all, wee chapters are: A Surprising Surprise, An Un-Surprising Surprise, (Chapter 2 1/2 is "An Extra Surprise" and oh, how I loved it!), A Surprising Tickle, A Surprising Value, A Surprising Solution, and A Surprising Discovery) but, as ever, I am at once found myself deeply touched and yet chuckling as I read this sweet, surprising story. ...more
Lisa Vegan
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who love their stuffed animals and books, and who like reading friendship stories
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
4 stars

I was tempted to put this book on my books-about-books shelf, but even though Amanda is almost constantly reading all sorts of books, they’re not the core of this book, not really, though I particularly enjoyed those parts of the story.

This is a sweet and funny story, a 69-page picture book containing 6 chapters, each chapter with the words surprising or surprise in their title.

What was delightfully amusing for me now would have had me laughing in stitches as a young kid, throughout muc
Dolly
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love Mo Willems's books and so when we saw that he had a new book out at our local library, we just had to get it. This is a terrific story (broken up into 6 1/2 short stories) and it seems perfect for the just-out-of-school, what-should-we-do crowd. The fact that Amanda reads a lot and gets lots of books from the library (on a wide range of topics, too) is wonderful. And I also love her imagination and the way she cares for her 'friends.' We see the characters experience boredom, jealou ...more
babyhippoface
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Elephant & Piggie are the Lucy & Ethel of beginning readers. Cat the Cat has pre-readers covered, and now Amanda and Alligator slide next to the newly-completed Trixie and Knuffle Bunny trilogy on the shelf as Mo's best new read-aloud. There is no way I can not love a book with a line like this:

Amanda was reading her library book You Can Make It Yourself:
Jet Packs!
when she noticed her alligator chewing on her head.

Perfect. And there is no way a kid can not keep turning pages in a bo
Crystal Bandel
Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator! by Mo Willems, published 2011.

Fiction.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 4.

Found via Horn Book Magazine, reviewed by Kitty Flynn.

Amanda and her alligator stuffed animal are the best of friends, doing everything together, from scaring each other to enjoying books. In a series of six-and-a-half short stories, this book contains various interactions between these two friends. Towards the end, a panda shows up and makes Alligator worry about losing Amanda, but eventua
Jaime Sanborn
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator! by Mo Willems
Review by J.F. Sanborn

Hooray for Mo Willems in yet another wonderful story! This is the tale of two best friends- Amanda and her toy Alligator. Alligator doesn't like it when Amanda leaves the house without him, as he demands a lot of her attention. Amanda loves her Alligator but is a very independent child. Throw in a third friend and some jealousy and you have yourself a great new Willems book! My 6 year old and I read this using the "you rea
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how Mo willems does it - but I find all of his books simply enchanting and hilarious. This book was no exception. I loved the little stuffed aligator and his funky personality. I also loved Mo's trademark illustrations and how easily he captured my attention and actually made me laugh out loud as I was reading. I especially adored this book and would recommend it to anyone.

Update 7/12/11: When I attended ALA Conference I bought this book and had Mo Willems sign it! He's just as hila
Terri
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There must be never a dull moment in the Mo Willems' household. I love the way his mind works. I love the way he can create a whole attitude with two dots and a line (witness the irritation in the eyes of Amanda's alligator). I love the depth of insight in his spare text. I love....

Willems hooked me with the Calvin and Hobbes relationship in this work and Amanda's eclectic (or should I say eccentric) choice of books. Then he totally sank the hook and reeled me in with "Books beat boredom." 'Nuf
Melissa
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If there was nothing else remarkable about this book, I would still give it five stars for this perfect line: "Amanda was reading her new library book _You Can Make It Yourself: Jet Packs!_ when she noticed her alligator chewing on her head."

I would also give it five stars just for Alligator's "perfectly good, unused "BOO!"

Bill would give it five stars just for the library book titles.

So there you go.
Anna
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Hooray for Amanda & her alligator by Mo Willems | 2011
genre: fiction
format: picture books
plot summary: Amanda and her alligator have lots of fun playing together and surprising each other, but when Amanda's grandfather buys her a panda, Alligator must learn to make new friends.
red flags: none
selection source: school library journal
recommended ages: 4-8
Marcy
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book. So friggin cute! i also love that it features a girl as the main character (along with her alligator). And, at the start of each of the 6 short "chapters" Amanda is reading one of the many books she brought home from the library. And it's just funny and adorable. This may be my favorite of all of D's books.
Beth
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, one of my favorite things about reading Mo Willems's books is seeking out the hidden pigeon (or Knuffle Bunny) somewhere in the story. That running gag has endlessly entertained me and my middle school students and has been a great way to build community in the classroom. Students feel like sophisticated readers because they're in on the joke.
Alyson
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A terrific cross between a picture book and an easy reader. Great for reading to a child but with simple language and stories for kids starting to read on their own. No one does simple stories and simple illustrations like Mo Willems.
Donalyn
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
No one writes about friendship like Mo Willems. He perfectly captures the relationship between a girl and her beloved stuffed alligator here.
What I liked best is that Amanda is a reader who carts home books from the library. She tells Alligator, "Books beat boredom."

Yes, Amanda, they do.
Elisabeth
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give it more stars just because I loved Amanda explaining why alligator was in the discount bin and only cost 7 cents. A newish format for Willems. It definitely feels like a hybrid of Elephant and Piggie and Knuffle Bunny.
Jocelin
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Not one of my favorites by Mo Willems. The other books that he has written (Knuffle Bunny, The Pigeon) were much captivating. It's just exceedingly ok.
Amanda
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is so cute. :)
Miss Ryoko
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Classic Mo Willems... loved it! Alligator is great!
RLL220_Amanda Alvarado
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy_scifi
Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator! was a cute book that boy and girls could enjoy. The book has 6 1/2 surprising stories and 2 1/2 extra surprises, we know how much children love surprises. What kid don't have a favorite stuffed animal that they carry everywhere with them. All kids have an imagination and this books lets kids imagination come to life. This book can be enjoyed by preschool through 2nd grade. Teacher can use this book as a teaching lesson, how we are able to have more then one ...more
Sami Snow
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book. I think the author tried to include a life lesson (friends reminding struggling friends of their worth) but it didn't work.
However, though the content was less than ideal, the ease of reading and the colorful pictures would be ideal for a Kindergartner, or a child learning to read.
Breanna Riley
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lib-428
A picture book that has little stories within it. Each has a lesson of friendship, laughter, love, and acceptance. Very great book for children and once again Mo Willems demonstrates why he writes for children.
Leah NYC
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mo Willems, always good, always funny!
Sierra
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-want
I love this book so much. Alligator is SO CUTE!
Denise
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story with a lovely moral.
Sue
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great book! I think kids will enjoy the stories of Amanda and her alligator.
Anne
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Love that this quick read emphasizes themes of reading, friendship, and problem solving. DRA 16.
Casandria
Wonderful chapter book to read with a young kid.
Esha Fitz
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is great for little kids. it teaches them about friendship and respect. if you liked this book then try other Mo Willems books. they are great.
  • Where's Walrus?
  • Blue Chameleon
  • E-mergency!
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Pig Kahuna
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
“I always say, 'Books beat boredom,' said Amanda wisely.” 32 likes