Start by marking “Beauty Queens” as Want to Read:
Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  47,620 ratings  ·  7,494 reviews
The 50 contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras.

But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeli
Published May 24th 2011 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Queens, please sign up.
Delaney get your heteronormative bullshit out of my face (but yes, there is. although it is not the main plot of the book)
Florence Bernice Yes. The name of the character is Sosie Simmons. Enjoy the book!

·  47,620 ratings  ·  7,494 reviews

Start your review of Beauty Queens
Penny
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the plots from Drop Dead Gorgeous, Austin Powers, Mean Girls, Lost, and Lord of the Flies. Whip until nice and fluffy. Stir in equal parts Bollywood, Boy Bands, Pirates, An Evil Corporation, Crappy Parenting, Reality TV, Miss Teen USA pageants, and commercials aimed at teens. Next add 4 cups Teenage Sexuality (all types), 2 cups Feminism, 1/2 cup Identity Issues, 1/2 cup Self-Esteem Issues, 16-Teenage Beauty Queens (all types. Just make sure one ...more
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book is the definition of satire and black humor. If you're easily offended, this book is not for you. It's tongue-in-cheek, it's darkly humorous, and it's absolutely fa-bu-lous *snaps finger*. It confronts the truth behind our daily lives...it deals with issues of race, sexism, and stereotypes, while managing to retain a light, sarcastic tone. The main characters in this book are all beauty pageant competitors, but rest assured, they are strong feminist types, down to the take-charge Miss Texas, who ...more
Emily May
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

According to this book and the Teen Dream Beauty contestants, women and particularly girls tend to apologise immediately before or after voicing their opinion. For example: "I'm sorry but I just think..." or "I really don't like such-and-such, sorry but that's just my opinion". So in true girl power spirit I'm going to openly, honestly and without apology declare that I EFFIN' LOVED THIS BOOK! In every single possible way.

This is what every teenage girl should be reading. In fact, scratch
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
4.5*

Reread for class 2017*
STILL SO AMAZINGLY HILARIOUS

“I love you for who you are, not who the world thinks you should be.”

This book is definitely one that you're either going to love or you're going to hate. I can see why people wouldn't like it but fortunately for me, I really really enjoyed this!! It wasn't what I expected but that was definitely a good thing!
PS. I listened to this on audiobook and I definitely recommend you do the same. The audiobook is narrated by Libba
karen
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
BITCHES!! HEY!! BITCHES!! OVER HERE!!

excuse me - i mean young ladies. put down that stephanie meyer book. is that cosmo girl?? yeah, lose that. stop reading the clique and get over here right now.

don't read anything else until you read this book. you can even stop reading this review, i don't care, as long as you read this book. well, the book comes out tomorrow, so you might as well finish reading this review after all.

when caris reviewed this book ages ago, i knew it was going to be a book to read. and then time passed
Emma Giordano
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
4 Stars! I really enjoyed this book. Super funny, entertaining, and real.

CW: death/ mild violence, transphobia, racism, and sexism (all challenged in text)

I had a lot of fun with Beauty Queens! This story is very engaging and entertaining. Libba Bray is hilarious, and the many ridiculous situations these girls get into will absolutely keep you chuckling the entire time. If you disliked Lord of the Flies when you were forced to read it in high school, you may actually enjoy this story
Nat
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wanted to pick this book up because it reminded me of:

descriptiondescriptiondescriptionI wanted to pick this book up because it reminded me of:

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription
This review contains *spoilers*.

And also because Lair of Dreams left me in a bit of a reading slump, and what better way to get out of one than by reading another book by the same author, am I right?

“Our tale begins with a sudden fall from blue skies, with screams and prayers and a camera crew bravely recording every bit of the turbulence and drama.”

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.

We get to know each of the thirteen through the 'Fun Facts About Me' page, which I thoroughly enjoyed and decided to include some of my favorite facts:

• Adina Greenberg's fun fact:
"My platform is Identifying Misogyny in American Culture. It’s all about helping girls ID the objectification of women when they see it. You know, like when girls are asked to parade around in bathing suits and heels and get scored on that.”

• Jennifer Huberman's fun fact:
“My personal motto is: WWWWD?: What Would Wonder Woman Do?”

• Petra West's fun fact:
“The thing that scares me most is not being myself.”

• Sosie Simmons' fun fact:
“I am hearing impaired but that doesn’t stop me! I hear with my heart. Well, not really. Because, as anybody who is not a complete and total moron knows, the heart does not have ears. This is the kind of s**t they make disabled people say all the time so everybody’s all “okay” with us. Soooo annoying.”

• Mary Lou Novak's fun fact:
“The most important quality in a friend is to be yourself. Unless you’re not a very nice person. Then you should try to be somebody else.”

• Taylor Rene Krystal Hawkins's fun fact:
“Personal motto: “God made me beautiful. The least I can do is share it with the world.”

And speaking of favorites of mine, I found Petra to be one of the most compelling characters within this storyline. I completely fell in love with her when we were told the tale her mother used to tell her as a bedtime story.
The story was about a frog cheerfully insisting to all in the meadow that it was a princess-in-waiting.

“Before sleep each night, the frog prayed to the four winds, to the great fish, to the sun above, and to the goddess moon that when it woke, it would be a princess. Yet each morning, the frog opened its eyes to find it was still only a frog. How could nature be so wrong about something so important?”

“The Wise Witch was very grateful to the little frog. She kept her promise. “What is your heart’s desire?” she asked.
But the frog had almost given up on its wish. It didn’t know if such a wish were possible. “Well,” it said softly, afraid, “I have always wanted to be a princess. But I have seen myself in the river. And it has shown me that I am a frog.”
The witch smiled. “The river does not know everything. Look again.”

It's one of the most beautiful stories that I've read.

Also, the parts where the girls just talked with one another about what they missed and didn’t miss, crumbled my heart.

“Miss Montana stared into the fire. “Sometimes I just want to go in a room and break things and scream. Like, it’s so much pressure all the time and if you get upset or angry, people say, ‘Are you on the rag or something?’ And it’s like I want to say, ‘No. I’m just pissed off right now. Can’t I just be pissed off? How come that’s not okay for me?’ Like my dad will say, ‘I can’t talk to you when you’re hysterical.’ And I’m totally not being hysterical! I’m just mad. And he’s the one losing it. But then I feel embarrassed anyway. So I slap on that smile and pretend everything’s okay even though it’s not. Anyway.” Miss Montana pasted on an embarrassed half smile. “Sorry for the rant.”
“Why do you have to be sorry?” Nicole asked.
“Well … I don’t know.”
“Why do girls always feel like they have to apologize for giving an opinion or taking up space in the world? Have you ever noticed that?” Nicole asked. “You go on websites and some girl leaves a post and if it’s longer than three sentences or she’s expressing her thoughts about some topic, she usually ends with, ‘Sorry for the rant’ or ‘That may be dumb, but that’s what I think.’”

This book educated me a lot without ever feeling preachy, which I really admire.

And while respectively handling serious subjects, Beauty Queens also has a wicked sense of humor that was right up my alley.

“I’ll do it,” Miss Arkansas volunteered.
“No. This is about Miss New Hampshire. We are the Miss Teen Dream team. We are only as strong as our weakest link. There is no I in “team.”
“There’s no U in asshole, either, and yet …” Adina muttered.”

Adina wasn't my absolute favorite because her humor could be a little overstepping. And like Petra said, just because you’re funny doesn’t mean you get to be cruel. But sometimes Adina uttered some of the funniest things that had me laughing out loud.

description

Weeks go by, when suddenly the girls rescue (?) the cast of Captains Bodacious IV that arrive during a storm, which I thought would make the story lose its steam a little. But never doubt Libba Bray, because she managed to keep me entertained till the end.

“Say, could one of you lovelies get me something to quench my thirst?”
Four girls turned to go and Adina said, “You seem able-bodied to me.”
Captain Sinjin put a hand to his chest. “We’ve been through a shipwreck, luv. We’re exhausted and need to lie about.”
“Oh, I know how you feel,” Tiara said. “When our plane crashed here, and we had to bury the dead and deal with really bad wounds and Miss New Mexico got that tray stuck in her head —”
“Hi!” Miss New Mexico waved.
“— and the chaperones were all charred in the wreckage and it was really gross and scary and there was nothing to eat and no shelter and we had to build all that stuff and deal with giant snakes and bug bites and we barely survived a giant wave and mudslides and hallucinogenic plants and stuff, we were so, so tired.”

But I did low-key despise the cast of pirates (at first). We were having so much fun getting to know each girl and hearing their stories, and then these reality TV boys arrive...

description

I kept thinking, "girls please stay strong and don't fall for those idiots... I'm begging you."

But I found it laughable when Adina was all:

“Good God! All you had to do was introduce the scent of testosterone and perfectly capable, together girls were reduced to giggling, lash-batting, hair-playing idiots. She hated it when girls did this. When they got all goo-goo-eyed over Y chromosome–carrying creatures instead of taking care of themselves. It’s what her mother had done her whole life, cater to some man instead of looking after herself. Or Adina.”

Until a boy bumps into her, in which case she turned all:

“Let me help you with that.”
“I don’t need your help,” Adina called, but Duff was already wading into the water. This was the problem with men. They just assumed. They just took action. It was infuriating. And reductive. And slightly thrilling.
The wet clung to Duff’s pants as he strode into the surf, and she could see the curve of his ass. Man, he was fine.”

Get your head in the game—I swear, I thought they were trouble!

But okay, I did grow to like Sinjin (mostly because of Petra). And yeah, I also liked his silly humor and the way he didn’t take himself too seriously.

“Petra looked up to the moon as if appealing to its grace. She liked this one and wanted more, but she was afraid there was no hope of that.
“Sorry, I just … So you used to be a guy. J. T. Woodland. Of Boyz Will B Boyz.”
“Yes.” “Right.”
“It’s okay. I can tell you’re freaked out.”
Petra started to get up. Sinjin took her wrist gently. “Well, yeah. But mostly because you used to be in Boyz Will B Boyz. That’s unbelievable! I mean, you played Top of the Pops!”
Petra allowed a small smile. He had surprised her. That didn’t happen often. She sat down again. “Should I tell you the story?”
“Yeah.”
“How much should I tell you?”
“Everything.”

I really, really liked them.

“Carefully, he tucked a strand of hair behind Petra’s ear and let his hand rest for a moment against the soft, wide plain of her cheekbone. “I think you’re beautiful. And brave. And really fucking cool. And you can make Charles Dickens puns.”
Petra leaned the weight of her face into Sinjin’s palm. “You know who and what I am. So, if this is just the old curiosity shop, you can stop right now.”
Sinjin looked her in the eyes. There was not a trace of smirk in his expression. “‘I hope that real love and truth are stronger in the end than any evil or misfortune in the world.’”
“David Copperfield,” Petra whispered, positioning her lips close to his.
“Why are you bringing magicians into it?” Sinjin said and kissed her tenderly. It was a kiss small in its ministrations but epic in its feeling.”

description

...Libba Bray sure knows how to shut me up. I mean, how could I forget that she's a master at writing swoon worthy romances????

Like, damn. That scene with Adina and Duff in the cabin made me sweat. But then...when his true assholish behaviour was revealed, I was appalled.

“She tapped Duff on the arm. He tipped his head back to look up at her. “Hello, Mary Lou.”
“Could you stand up, please?”
Duff gave the boys an I-wonder-what-this-is-about look. “Sure thing.” He stood and faced Mary Lou. “What’s up?”
“This.” Mary Lou’s fist connected with Duff’s face in an audible crunch. He tottered like a drunk. And if there had been a clock on the island, it would have ticked off exactly three seconds before he lost consciousness and went down hard in the sand.
“Ow!” Mary Lou shook out her hand. Then she took her place at the fire and drank the rest of Duff’s coconut milk, drinking till she was sated.”

And thank you, Mary Lou, for handling the situation like a pro. I won't forget Duff's awfulness anytime soon.

description

The hurt was a pain in the center of my chest. And his 'apology' was so half-hearted, it only made things worse for me.

But the girls didn't let those bumps along the road falter the course of their actions.

“We could take the world by storm, you know? It’ll be like we proved ourselves, like all those heroes’ journey stories about boys, only we’re girls.”

At its core this book was a very character driven one, which was my favorite thing. We had an incredible wide cast of characters that I connected with one way or another.

I found myself in Petra’s determination, in Shanti's soundness, in Nicole's sensibleness, in Taylor’s unwavering commitment, and I could go on and on —but bottom line, these girls made me feel at home.

I think it’s safe to say that Libba Bray has got my heart with all these remarkably fleshed-out characters. I'm still moony-eyed after everything.

To put it simply, Beauty Queens - at heart - is a sad sort of beautiful. Like all the best books.

“There was something about the island that made the girls forget who they had been. All those rules and shalt nots. They were no longer waiting for some arbitrary grade. They were no longer performing. Waiting. Hoping.
They were becoming.
They were.”

Also, I have to mention this next tiny detail because it warmed my heart:

"COMMERCIAL BREAK

(A high school hallway. A girl, MARCIA, slams her locker door in frustration. She looks haggard. NATALIE and RACHEL stand off to one side, watching and shaking their heads.)"

What are the chances that both my name and my sister’s name (Rachel) would be on the same page?

My reaction to it totally reminded me of this vine.

*Note: I'm an Amazon Affiliate. If you're interested in buying Beauty Queens, just click on the image below to go through my link. I'll make a small commission!*

Support creators you love. Buy a Coffee for nat (bookspoils) with Ko-fi.com/bookspoils

This review and more can be found on my blog.
Madeline
Sep 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Petal X Planet
In Lord of the Flies by William Golding, the boys wrecked and alone on an island act as Golding says boys being true to their nature will. And it ain't pretty, gangs, anarchism, bullying, murder... It's a brilliant book.

So is Libba Bray's. What she has to say about women in Beauty Queens also wrecked and alone on an island, is that even the most dedicated fashionista of a girl with her acrylic nails and furry false eyelashes is solid when she has to be. In real life, these girls go home in the
Nancy
Cross-posted at Outlaw Reviews and at Shelf Inflicted

I was on the fence about this book. A story about teen beauty pageant contestants stranded on a desert island just doesn’t do anything for me. After reading Stephanie's review, I decided to try the audio version. At first, I thought it was ridiculous, irritating and just plain stupid. It wasn’t long before I was laughing and snorting in public places.

In the beginning, it was a little difficult to get to know the characters. The story is told from different perspective
Matthew
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a ridiculously fun book! A satire/lampoon of so many things it was hard to keep track (but I tried): beauty pageants, gender roles, commercialism, marketing, government corruption, etc. etc. etc.

It was bizarre . . . It was silly . . . It was fantastic!

While geared toward the YA crowd, I think the tongue-in-cheek cynicism is something that can be appreciated by anyone who enjoys smart, sarcastic humor. Bray makes a lot of really great points through a story that could easily
Whitney Atkinson
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely very different than what I thought. I thought this was done really, really well and I couldn't dislike it because it just has so many amazing themes. I respect Libba Bray so, so much for writing this. There's so much representation and feminism and I definitely understand why it's an option for the juniors at my school to read as an independent novel. I just wish some of the boys would pick it up, too.
In the end, this was just a little too random and bizarre for me. I l
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, young-adult
That was freaking amazing. There are so many things I want to say about this book, but at the moment I'm so overwhelmed by the whole thing that I can't even think of what to say... I loved it.

Was it just me, or did the epilogue feel like the end credits to an awesome movie? I could picture the entire thing in my head, and it looked fabulous, bitches.

I JUST GOT THIS IN PAPERBACK
Sh3lly
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sh3lly by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
I'm going to make a pitcher book to start this review. This book is a little bit of this:

With a bit of this:

With a bit of this:

thrown in.

It's basically about a group of teens on their way to a beauty pageant who get stuck on an island after their plane crashes and have to figure out a way to survive and get along with each other. There's a lot of humor in this book and a lot of messages about feminism and capitalism. It's a huge satire about beauty pageant culture, the way society looks at females, and how ridiculous Big Business is about profits and covering up product flaws because of profit.

When I started it, I really thought this would be a 4-star read, but after awhile, I felt like the story could have been told in about 200-250 pages rather than almost 400. The funny parts started to get stale and the in-between corporate spoofs got old as well. It almost seemed like the boy band pirate reality-TV section was unnecessary and bloated the book. It kind of took a little away from the feminist themes and provided a convenient HEA for a couple of characters and was used as a plot device that could have been resolved another way. Maybe it's just me?

Anyhow, this was amusing and funny and I liked the political messages, but it just went on and on for too long and sapped my initial enthusiasm. Still a good read if you are looking for something humorous and kind of fluffy.

Oh, and let me just add that this book did a great job of demonstrating a wide range of diverse characters in a positive light, while also blatantly making jokes of racial and sexual stereotypes.

Oh, I also really appreciated just how bizarre and quirky this was. If only it hadn't been stretched out so much. I feel I have to dock a star for that because I started skimming at about 80%. I just felt like the book should have ended by that point. ?

Read my friend Kelly's review because it's awesome and is what made me want to read this to begin with! It's not my usual fare, but was worth it, even if I didn't totally love it. :)
Amanda
Meh. Just meh. Beauty Queens is not at all what I expected. What I expected was a group of beauty queens crash land on an isolated island and it's not long before the ruthlessness of the pageant morphs into a violent "survival of the fittest" mentality, a la Lord of the Flies. I would have also settled for a dark and biting satire on consumerism and pop culture. Alas, what I got was an increasingly irritating "Girl Power!" message that never quite got off the ground as it never quite rejected everything it ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
The corporation would like to apologize for the preceding pages. Of course, it's not at all okay for girls to behave this way. Sex is not meant to be this– a consensual expression of love. No, sex is meant for selling cars. And beers. And religion.

This is one of the funniest books I've read in my life. If you're looking for an afternoon laughing at how fucked up our society is, laughing at all aspects of society and of women's beauty-queen treatment, this is the perfect book for you.

I'm not necessarily goi
Deanna
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this a few years ago and usually I don't remember much about a book after that long unless it was a particularly good read. This is one of those books that stayed with me because it was just so entertaining. I forgot to update my Goodreads with it but happened across a GR friends review and remembered.

I saw somewhere that someone said it's like "Lost" meets "Clueless" and I think that that is an accurate description...although maybe I would add "Mean Girls" and "Toddlers & Tiara's" t
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

This program is brought to you by The Corporation: Because Your Life Can Always Be Better™.

You probably know The Corporation for its awesome products

and barrier breaking television programs like “Girls Gone Rumspringa”

but this special episode brings us back to The Corporation’s roots - The Miss Team Dream Beauty Pageant!!!!

No one ever expected a plane full of Teen Dream beauty contestants would crash (don’t wor
Stacia (the 2010 club)
"Pirate rock stars? Please, that's like the heroin of television."

Beauty Queens : Proving that it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

2.5 stars. I would actually watch a show with pirate rock stars.

So this is satire. Before you read this book, it is important to know that it is not meant to be taken seriously. If you find yourself hating certain characters, they were probably written that way for a reason. I generally like satire, parodies, or anything using some form of ironic wit to make a/>2.5
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor, 2011, ya
Kayso, like, after three books in a row that kinda sorta made me angry, I wanted to, like, read something totally funny and ridiculous. And I was like "Beauty Queens" a book about teen beauty queens on a plain, that like OMG, crashes on a desert island and they have to survive and stuff, wouldn't make me, like, have to think and stuff....none of that politicy stuff either....yuk.

But I was wrong. Yes this is a story about 50 beauty contestants for a pageant called Miss Teen Dream, and
prag ♻
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to prag ♻ by: Elise (TheBookishActress)
surprise!!! i read books!!! and yes all my books come from elise's 5 star shelves now because there's nobody else i trust

maymay if you're a good friend you will see this review and if you see this review you will read this book

pragya out
♛Tash
Reading Beauty Queens evoked a lot of questions on what it means to be a woman in this pageant of life. The most important of which is - am I a Sparkle Pony or a Lost Girl?

I'm definitely a Sparkle Pony.

3.5 stars, quite an enjoyable, fast-paced read, equally laced with black humor and life affirmations, from start to finish.

“Just because you're funny doesn't mean you get to be cruel.”

And Beauty Queens truly is funny, but the humor is never disparaging, even when it confronts heavy subjects such as feminism, transgen
Krista Regester
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How the HELL has this not been made into a movie.

I implore you to listen*** to this.
Meredith Holley
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Meredith by: Caris
In most ways, this book was absolutely written for me. It is LOST + Miss Congeniality + Susan Faludi’s Backlash. Sarah Palin and GW stand-ins make appearances to be generally villainous. It has lovely, lovely girls, lots of action, and some pretty hilarious jokes. Oh, and hilarious jokes in the footnotes. (Because why use endnotes, people? No need to be coy.) There is one about putting dolls on a pedestal that is my favorite joke in the book, if you want to know. The odd thing about the book is that it mixes slapstick d ...more
Romie
It’s a book I never thought I would read. Simply because the synopsis didn’t sound that great to me. But people kept talking about it, so I thought ‘Why not?’ and I’m glad I gave it a try.

This book follows thirteen teenage girls - pageant beauty queens - after their plane crashed on a deserted island. At least that’s what they thought.

Beauty Queens doesn’t take itself seriously. It’s probably one of the most hilarious books I’ve ever read. But it’s also one of the most im
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
A lot funnier than I expected. Also, such a girl power book!
Catie
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, audio, ya, humor
This is the book that the other half and I decided to listen to on the combined eighteen hours round trip of driving that we endured last week. I laughed, I giggled, I chortled, I smirked. I listened quietly. I zoned out. I may or may not have fallen asleep for about twenty minutes during track three. I cringed. I looked around desperately for something to pack my ear canals with. I begged for a music break.

We just have to get through it! We can’t stop now! We’re so damn close….”

Why do we have a Prius? The“Why“We
Rose
Whoa, where do I start on Libba Bray's "Beauty Queens"? I haven't had a book completely blindside me as far as content goes for quite some time. I'm clearly at a loss for words as I write this review, because 1. I'm trying not to hold my sides from laughing so much at this book, and 2. I don't quite know how to explain "Beauty Queens" appeal when it has so many elements in it that work, but theoretically shouldn't. That might sound odd, but I'll explain it as I go into further detail.

Thomas
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had enough money to buy every girl attending my high school a copy of Beauty Queens. Actually, I wish I had enough money to buy every girl from the age of 15 to 21 a copy of this book. I bow down to Libba Bray for pulling off such a crazy concept - a plane of beauty pageant contestants crash on an island - when it could have gone horribly wrong in the hands of a less competent author.

On the outside, Beauty Queens is about an ensemble of shallow, teenaged girls surviving on an island. But
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Beauty Queens delighted me in every way possible. Brandishing dark comedy and satire, it elucidates and explores complex themes such as feminism, racism, ethnicity, identity, disabilities, gender, sexuality, prejudice, and social standards. That's a lot of themes to explore, but Bray has done it fantastically. Paired with its plot - when a plane crashes on a remote island, thirteen beauty pageant contestants are the only survivors - the result is an excellent book that manages to be ridiculous but also incredibly intelligent, hoa of ...more

• Lost in the Crowd
  • Sadie
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings, #2)
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Poet X
  • Sawkill Girls
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Heretics Anonymous
  • How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend
  • With the Fire on High
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2)
  • Hot Dog Girl
What is it about writing an author bio that gives me that deer-in-headlights feeling? It's not exactly like I'm going to say "I was born in Alabama…" and somebody's going to jump up and snarl, "Oh yeah? Prove it!" At least I hope not.

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting
“Why do girls always feel like they have to apologize for giving an opinion or taking up space in the world? Have you ever noticed that?" Nicole asked. "You go on websites and some girl leaves a post and if it's longer than three sentences or she's expressing her thoughts about some topic, she usually ends with, 'Sorry for the rant' or 'That may be dumb, but that's what I think.” 451 likes
“Really, being a librarian is a much more dangerous job than you realize.” 244 likes