Start by marking “The Simple Truth” as Want to Read:
The Simple Truth

The Simple Truth

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  25,870 Ratings  ·  618 Reviews
From the internationally bestselling author of 'Absolute Power' and 'The Winner', this is a novel about a murderous conspiracy at the heart of the American legal system.
Audio CD, Abridged, 4 pages
Published June 2nd 2006 by MacMillan UK (first published November 18th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Simple Truth, please sign up.

Christine Green I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. Finished over 700 pages in about 3 days. David Baldacci writes a damn good story.

Suzanne
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
The first novel by this author they I've read, really enjoyed it. Felt very connected to Rufus and his plight. I will read more of this author for sure. This is a prolific author I really don't know much about. Maybe my friends will have to help me fill in the blanks!
Fred
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, re-read
We are all entitled to a fair trial. Rufus Harms has spent 25 years in the US Army's Fort Jackson Military Prison, Virgina.

Michael Fiske, is a "unprecedented" 3rd year senior clerk to a United States Supreme Court, most clerks take 1 year before going to private law practice.
Rufus sends a "appeal" letter to show he was following instructions & drugged in a Army's Vietnam War experiment 25 years ago when accused of a young dead girl - Ruth Ann Mosley(10). Minority races not entitled to justic
Heather
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in and around Washington DC. It centers around an old man who has spent the last 25 years of his life in a military prison for murder. He files an appeal (I won't tell you why), and a star clerk for the Supreme Court gets involved.

There are lots of twists and lots of suspense. There's murder, cover-up, romance, and everything else that David Baldacci is great at. If you've read anything else by him and liked it, you'll love this one.
Captainslog
Jun 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Linda
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love a tantilizing mystery
Gyula
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I do like a good thriller, especially with twists and turns. The first few pages of this book are so well written, that I found it promising. Reading further I was wondering if it was necessary to introduce so many characters in the beginning. Now I think it wasn’t. Some of them could appear later, and the first part of the book could be better paced.

Baldacci kept the secret hidden until the crisis, which was supposed to give suspense. Actually I found it out at the half of the book, so the fina
Jim
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read one other novel by David Baldacci, Divine Justice, one of the Camel Club novels. This was a much better book. Browsing reviews of this book by other readers I get the impression that there are elements of this novel that are common to some of his other books as well. I can understand why that might well be annoying to readers who have read lots of an author's novels. But as someone who is dealing with just this one novel, I'm going to talk mostly just about this book.

I liked it an awfu
Rod
A well crafted fast moving treat it's my second read for the week.
I have been away all this week and read "Last Man Standing" and feel that David Baldacci has raised the Bar a level with this book we had interesting twists and one quite big surprise in the finale I would recommend this Book I f you want a top Mystery thriller after all that i will have to say 5 stars
Tim Smith
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read my review at http://world-of-sleuths.blogspot.com/....
Beth Sammons
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another balsamic great. Great characters, moving target on who dun it and great surprise ending.
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover 3 24 Mar 24, 2016 10:18AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 14 Mar 13, 2016 07:32PM
2018 Reading Chal...: Elaine's 40 book challenge 3 34 Feb 19, 2016 08:43PM
Amazingly Gripping !!!! 2 26 Oct 02, 2013 01:07AM
  • The First Counsel
  • Word of Honor
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Numbered Account
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • Reversible Errors
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Winner by David Baldacci Summary & Study Guide
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Last Hostage (Kat Bronsky, #1)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, because “every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; one year later ...more
More about David Baldacci...
“Small mistakes tend to lead to large ones. Ours is a lifetime appoinment, and all you have is your reputation. Once it's gone, it doesn't comeback.” 92 likes
“Depending on the situation, sometimes you can know a person better in ten minutes than someone you have crossed paths with all your life.” 57 likes