Start by marking “Ghost of a Chance” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Chance

Ghost of a Chance

They said it was suicide, but Eva knows she was murdered. Now she inhabits a skewed ghost world along with the tortured and malevolent spirits of her family home. Solving the crime could end her existence — but if the killer isn’t found how many more will die?
Published January 1st 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Chance

LitAddictedBrit
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Ah, this book reminded me so much of my first reading experiences that I couldn't help but love it. When I was much younger and had read more of The Babysitters' Club and Sweet Valley High than was probably healthy, I turned to the somewhat darker Goosebumps series by R.L.Stine, including such classics as Say Cheese and Die and Monster Blood. Anyone else read this? No? Just me then...

What I loved about those books, and indeed this one, was the unashamed use of the supernatural. I'm sure I've mad
Chris
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chris by: LibraryThing
Shelves: fantasy
This, if it’s not too contradictory a description for a ghost-cum-detective story, is a delightful novel, often deeply satisfying and always captivating. The narrative is set within the span of a month, from April Fool’s Day to May Eve, and features the ghost of young Eva, who has to act as a kind of detective to uncover the details of her own murder. Good detective stories include a cast of suspects and a shoal of red herrings, and we get plenty of both here. Ghost stories, by definition, must ...more
Michael
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Review from Badelynge
Rhiannon Lassiter's Ghost of a Chance is aimed squarely at YA readers. Or others, of more mature years (that's me), who think the young shouldn't have all the fun where reading is concerned. It follows the attempts of lost spirit Evangeline Chase, haunting her crumbling stately home as she attempts to discover who killed her before the killer bumps off the rest of her family. Eva is an excellent character. All the best scenes belong to Eva. Her character works on many levels
Frezanda
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Eva always prefers to be invisible. From her experience, being noticed just means being an object of scorn. Considered a bad blood by her aunts. A freak in school. Eva just prefers invisibility

The only companions she can be comfortable with is her grandfather and the manor who are both deteriorating with age and sometimes some occasional ghosts she vaguely senses.

However, one day in her family gathering, she suddenly realized that she was really invisible. She's not being ignored. They just can'
Claudia Shaine
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich geb 5 Sterne weil es nicht mehr zum vergeben gibt. Das Buch war sensationell! Ein Abenteuer das langsam begann und sich von Seite zu Seite steigerte und durchgehend spannend blieb. So ab Seite 100 geht es dann los....
Das Cover ist in verschiedenen blau Tönen gemalt und sieht wirklich edel aus.Auf den Seiten wo ein neues Kapitel beginnt ,ist oben links in der Ecke, der Abdruck, der auch auf den Cover an der Stelle ist. Ein Muster mit einen Vogel. Auf den restlichen Seiten ist unten rechts das
Eve
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eine super-spannende Geister/Mystery-Geschichte. Von Anfang an fühlte ich mit Eva mit und es tat mir sehr Leid, wie man mit ihr umging. Sie war aber keine sich selbst bemitleidende Hauptfigur, sondern eher eine junge Frau, die mit ihrem Leben umgehen konnte, weil sie es musste. Das hat ihr etwas sehr Erwachsenes verliehen, obwohl sie ein Teenager ist.
Gottseidank hat die Autorin nicht lange gebraucht, um klar zu stellen, dass Eva ein Geist ist, denn es war von Anfang an offensichtlich. Angesichts
Kathleen Dixon
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've had this book languishing on my shelf for some while and finally got around to reading it. And I enjoyed it!

There's a crumbling family home with ghosts galore, a grandfather, and our narrator who is the illegitimate child of one of his daughters. There are various other daughters who arrive annually to get the house ready for the visiting season (you know, ancestral mansions in the UK). There's the grandson who will inherit. There's the manager (or whatever) who organises everything and loo
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Review: Eva Chance lives with her grandfather in a mansion. He hosts a dinner party, but for some reason everyone seems to ignore Eva. Then a couple of teenagers discover a torture chamber with the corpse of a witch in it. As you do. Eva also finds this witch, who tells Eva that she died but nobody cared. Eva also makes friends with Maggie, the ghost of a servant girl, Kyle one of the discoverers of the witch and Kyra, his twin sister that gets more likable as we get to know her. The twins start ...more
Nickey
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who loved Bad Blood
Shelves: favorites
Written with as much grace and terror as Bad Blood, every page breathes down your neck, chills you to the bone and commands you to race on. This was one of my most-anticipated books for 2011 and I have not been disappointed. I loved every page of it.

The pace is fast forward from the first page on and you don't get a single moment to catch your breath. The compelling narrative, split between Eva Chance and Kyle and Kyra Stratton, keeps you glued to the book until you finally know what really happ
Hallie
Sep 24, 2011 added it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Not giving this one a rating, because it wasn't the book I was in the mood for, to the point that I gave up and read the end. All the neglected and abused at home, bullied at school poor orphan stuff just got to me. I was so surprised by the ending that I had to go back and read on, if a bit skimmingly, to find out how it got from where I'd given up to the ending. I think it was well done in many ways, but the sheer malevolence of some of the supernatural beings encountered and the casual awfuln ...more
Zarina
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
The fact that I finished three other books since starting Ghost of a Chance probably says it all. While the story was an interesting one and definitely got more fast-paced towards the end it really wasn't so gripping that it was able to hold my attention for more than a few chapters at a time I am afraid. I am only giving it three stars instead of two because for the most part this novel was written beautifully and that is its only saving grace.
Bash
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The story was interesting and made me want to know whats going to happen to the protagonist, so I kept on reading. I liked it very much. what I did not like was the ending, it felt like the writer didn't make an effort into the last chapters and it was rather cheesy and boring and left me feeling... empty? It had a great potential but the ending ruined it and the book made it feel like the story had a very deep plot but it wasn't, I felt tricked somehow?
Zauberlehrling!
Ein spannendes Buch von Anfang bis Ende. Es ist eine sehr gelungene Kombination aus Jugendbuch, Fantasie und Thriller. Es geht um ein Mädchen, dass an ihrem 16. Geburtstag erkennen muss, dass sie ein Geist ist... Doch wer ist der Mörder, ist es ein Geist oder ein lebendiger Mensch? Wird sie es herausfinden?
Linda
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book as the author is new to me, but I found this to be a fast paced enjoyable read. The book had a great atmosphere and the descriptions of the dilapidated stately home at the core of the mystery were superb. The plot was not the most original but the story telling carries the reader along.
Below
Hmm. I think this book was quite well constructed, but it had the problem that I didn't really care very much about what happened to the characters. Also, I really didn't buy Kyra (view spoiler). 2.5/5.
Bob
Dec 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book tries to fit into too many genres at once. Good choice of a title and the opening chapter started well but was too predictable and each subsequent chapter produced more stereotypes. Tension was lacking and it was a struggle to pick the book up again at the end of each chapter.
Collette Mclaughlin
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Considering I am not a big fan of 'ghost stories', this book had me gripped. The 'murder mystery' element gave a new and exciting twist to the ghost story genre.
Definitely worth a read
Clodagh
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book got better as it went along.
Erinn
Mar 14, 2014
Eulili
Oct 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rhiannon Lassiter began writing when she was still at school. The first agent to see her work encouraged her to finish Hex, which was accepted when she was nineteen by the first publisher to read it (Macmillan).

Rhiannon graduated from Oxford University and has written eight best selling novels, several short stories and one non-fiction title for children and teenagers. She has edited an anthology