Start by marking “Huey: Spirit of the Panther” as Want to Read:
Huey: Spirit of the Panther

Huey: Spirit of the Panther

Huey P. Newton remains one of the most misunderstood political figures of the twentieth century. As cofounder and leader of the Black Panther Party for more than twenty years, Newton (1942-1989) was at the forefront of the radical political activism of the 1960s and '70s. Raised in poverty in Oakland, California, and named for corrupt Louisiana governor Huey P. Long, Newto ...more
Published October 26th 2006 by Basic Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Huey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Huey

Start your review of Huey: Spirit of the Panther
Nani Hendrix
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From this moment on, if I ever have a son, his name will be Huey Newton! Seriously!

This is a man that is a TRUE definition of what a Black Revolutionary is supposed to be! Huey tackled the streets and reached out to The People. He was highly aware that we hold the power to true change. We could change the damn world if we wanted to. We could spark a revolution, demanding that the oppressors see what we’re made of. Huey was fearless, unstoppable, courageous, free-spirited, kind, gentle, and just
Aaron Chandler
i have for some time now, had an interest in Huey P Newton. Like most people i saw him as that guy in that picture with the spear and the gun. I thought that was what he was a chief for black America. Truth is he was but he was also human. The more i read this i found some things i disagreed with and some that just blew me away about this scholarly thug. How he lived in both worlds and he own self destruction that lead him to his death. While at the same time his love of his people and knowledge ...more
Mookie
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read Revolutionary Suicide prior to reading this and to put it bluntly, David Hilliard's writing (especially in relation to Huey's) is not very good. However I didn't really find it to impede the read, and this one was very insightful - and refreshingly honest. The book's most redeeming quality is all the first hand recollections from various acquaintances in his life. Well worth the read.
Nini
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book with first-hand credibility from Hilliard. Very well written, informative and a page turner! Definitely made me respect and understand Huey Newton more!
Sourdough
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookbingonw2018
Overall, very disappointed. I had high hopes for this biography, but it suffered from a number of issues.

The writing is extremely weak, the biography focuses on all the details the reader is LEAST interested in, it glosses over huge sections of Huey Newton's life, the narrative voice switches so frequently and is so inconsistent it is difficult to even read. I'm usually okay with non-chronologically organized books, but this just wasn't doing it for me.

I felt like everything I was i
Shayla
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always been interested in Huey. I am glad I got to read this book. I Have so many emotions with this red, and yet I am proud of what my ancestors have done for us. The most honorable way I can do to respect them is to continue moving forward.

Our country has a very disgusting and still ignorant look towards us in the Black community. It has never changed only gotten worse. The more we fight to equal rights an human decency the more they fight to gun us down and wipe us off this planet.

Ou
Stevie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't imagine living under the pressure he undertook attempting to change society. Some people may look down on him for some of his actions, especially the drug addiction, but I think I can understand why someone would need supplements to go through what Huey Newton did. Like him or not, he lived a whole lot more than most people.
Scout
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a wonderfully written, inspiring look at who Huey P. Newton really was. It also gave excellent insight into the Black Panther Party and their inspiring history.
Brian Cooper
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book easily goes down as one of the most interesting books I've ever read.
Chanel Kyles
If you finished Huey P. Newton's autobiography, Revolutionary Suicide feeling empty...

I first learned of David Hilliard and Huey: Spirit of the Panther after completing Revolutionary Suicide. Newton pinned this book while he was still pretty young, thus leaving the reader with so many unanswered questions. His second wife mentioned this book and the introduction and boy am I happy she did! My biggest critique is that I can tell there were multiple writers in this book...some chapters felt chopp
Autumn Joi
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The more I learn about Huey the more fascinated I become. We grow up hearing about Martin, Rosa Parks and if you're lucky Malcolm X, meanwhile glossing over such revolutionaries as Marcus, Stokley, and, of course, Huey--whose contributions are just as important to the fabric of society as any others. I loved hearing first person accounts of personal interactions with him, and although you can never get a true picture of who Huey really was, I feel like this was a good place to start. Huey was co ...more
Charlie Eskew
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book really gave me an insight on what the purpose of the Black Panther Party was, and the motive behind some of their more radical choices. I learned more about Huey, eccentric as he seemed you can't help but be astonished by what he accomplished, and sympathize with his motives. the internal strife within the party was interesting to read about, as well as the shooting that put Huey in jail. While Hilliard didn't hide his biases at all I think the passion he puts into it adds a bit to the ...more
Dave
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and inspiring biography of Huey Newton. He was an incredibly serious activist with a real vision for remaking society. He was a socialist and an internationalist. He also had nerves of steel and wasn't intimidated by the state at all, despite being locked in solitary confinement for three years. And his message resonated with millions of people in the U.S. and around the world--Black and white. Definitely a great read for any activist.
Lindor Joelle
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can't state how much I LOVED this book. Many people refer to "Soul on Ice" as the definitive book regarding the Panthers. I would refer anyone to this title instead. I learned so much about Mr. Newton from the fact that he had a PhD (who knew?) to the mental issues that seem to eventually have gotten the best of him.

Great book for history buffs.
Jen
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent and easy to read. Tons of information from the people who knew him best written in a lively and informative style. My only complaint is you could tell it was written by admirers as there is little to no criticism or opposing viewpoints.
Jim
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Worthwhile read especially about Huey Newton's thinking as far as survival programs were concerned. However, Hilliard pulls his punches when it comes to Geronimo Pratt.
The story redeems the writing.
Jason
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Poorly written at some points but a very worthwhile read.
elizabeth mackessy-lloyd
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very informative read. Gave me a much better understanding of the black panther movement as well as his very inspired, though rather tortured, revolutionary.
Rob G.
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT BOOK! You get the truth of the legendary rebel by his fellow comrade, all the good and all the bad.
Chris brown
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
an excellent book. A great read written by people whom knew the man, not just someone whom had herd about the man. Reading the book you walk in the man's shoes from beginning to tragic end.
Christine
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
read this book!!!
Kevin J
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Extremely good read - particularly the last 1/3 of the book. Wish they went more in-depth on Huey's decline in the 70s. One of the best (and wrenching) rise-and-fall stories I have ever read.
Ashley
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"when the panther roars..the world trembles."
Boss Don Ness
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Revolutionary Suicide
  • Black Against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party
  • Assata: An Autobiography
  • Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
  • Malcolm X: The Man and His Times
  • Martin and Malcolm and America: A Dream or a Nightmare?
  • The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther
  • By Any Means Necessary