Start by marking “De beenderen van de Draak (De Drakenschepen, #1)” as Want to Read:
De beenderen van de Draak (De Drakenschepen, #1)

De beenderen van de Draak

(Dragonships of Vindras #1)

Skylan Ivorson is een zeerover van de Vindrasi die het uiteindelijk tot opperstamhoofd van de Vindrasi brengt. Zelf heeft hij het idee die eer en status ruimschoots te hebben verdiend. Immers, hij ontving de zegen van Torval, de god van de oorlog. Maar soms blijkt een zegen een vloek met zich mee te brengen.

Torval en de andere oude goden worden belaagd door een nieuwe gene
Published January 2010 by Luitingh Fantasy (first published 2009)

Start your review of De beenderen van de Draak (De Drakenschepen, #1)
Tammie
Skylan Ivorson is a sea-raider of the Vindras and eventually becomes the Chief of Chiefs of all Vindras clans, an honor he truly feels he deserves as one who has been blessed by Skoval, the god of war.

But sometimes a blessing is a curse in disguise.

DNF @50%

This was our book club book this month and I'm pretty disappointed in it. I really enjoyed The Dragonlance Chronicles and The Deathgate Cycle but unfortunately Weis and Hickman did not win me over with this one. The biggest problem I have w
Robert
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Show Vikings Who Feel It Could Use More Magic Dragons!
Woo hoo, I finally finished this beast!

Not that I outright disliked it, per se, it's just that I could never seem to get in more than 15 pages or so in a sitting...and this was with my baby daughter out of town!

I liked the world-building, though I thought the conflict with the ogres took too long to finally kick off and then it seemed to go on overlong. Things really picked up after the Vutmana thingy, and I was gratified to see super-bro Skylan humbled and made accountable for his terrible choi
QS
I'll be honest: I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I actually liked the main character. But I didn't. My dislike of Skylan coupled with my discomfort of the culture of his people made me feel pretty ambivalent for the majority of the novel.

On the other hand, I adored the plot, and loved the blatant rip-off of Norse mythology. Needless to say, I will be purchasing the next book in the series once it comes out in paperback. I'm hoping that, as the series goes on, Skylan will mature great
Mikko Karvonen
Far too familiar concept, highly unpleasant main character (not that there was much to the other characters either), serious overdose of (mostly unnecessary) exposition, awkward language, and glaring lack of background research. You would thinking writing dozens of rather popular fantasy books would teach authors something about the art of writing, but it seems that Weis & Hickman have taken several steps backwards instead.
Adam Bolander
Book Review: Bones of the Dragon, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

Bones of the Dragon is a book I picked up at a used bookstore for a couple dollars. The cover looked neat and the blurb sounded interesting, and hey¬— it was only a couple dollars! I could spare that much, even if it turned out not to be that great... which is exactly what happened.

Bones of the Dragon stars Skylan Ivorson is one of the Vindrassi, a race of sea raiders very similar to the Vikings. His father, the chief of the Tor
Maria Elmvang
Despite my enjoyment of fantasy, I've never read a single DragonLance book, and probably wouldn't have picked this up either, if I hadn't been asked to review it.

It's a fairly interesting start to a new series, but either not terribly well-written, or I'm just way above the target age, because I did find it rather simplistic at times, and during the first half of the book, the main character came across as a gigantic arrogant git. Had it ended there, I would only have given it two stars.

It impro
Reblua
Mar 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I did not enjoy this book until the last 25 pages or so. The characters were shallow and I couldn't find myself liking any of them. ...more
Cindy
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009, fantasy
This is a typical first book of a series. There is a lot of time spent on building the world and cultures of the Vindras. Weis and Hickman do that we great style as they always do.

I was a little disappointed in the characters, it felt as though all the characters were very flat, hopefully as the series grows so will the characters. I do have to say I hated Skylan, he was annoying and really not likeable as a main character.

The book really does pick up after a while, the last one forth of it ha
Luke
I kept waiting to discover that some god had once again stolen the world. Gave up about 1/3 of the way into it. It felt like a bad mashup of Zelda and Dragonlance.
Matthew Holloway
This is the second time that I've read (or in this case listened to) this book. It has been a few years, but I remember thinking the first time how big of an idiot Skylan was, and this time I feel exactly the same way. I like the book, and it is very well written, but it's hard to read about a character that is so easily unlikable because of all the horrible decisions they make (and don't get me started on the macho rape culture attitude). I look forward to (re)reading more and (hopefully) allow ...more
Liz
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I really enjoyed other Weis & Hickman books I've read, so I gave this one a try on audio. The main character was pretty unlikable and the narrative seemed a bit drawn out. However, I still found myself wanting to listen to this story. Based on better reviews, I might give the other books in the series a shot. ...more
Emilee Powell
I spent half of the book hoping that the main character would die a horrific and horrible death. I cannot remember the last time I have so thoroughly despised a lead character. Despite of my abiding hatred, the book eventually won me over enough to give it a tentative three stars. However, I am highly motivated to turn it into two stars if the second book is not an improvement.
Rhonda Johnson
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would have gotten a five, but at a certain point the author decided to tell rather than show what was happening. But I enjoyed it enough that I'm dying to read the sequel. ...more
Ben Lund
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my eye as I was wandering through my library. I really liked the Dragonlance books as a young pre-teen. Fantasy wasn't cool yet, and these books were something I hadn't encountered before. Throughout the years I have caught onto other series by them, the Starshield books, the Deathgate cycle and so on. When I found this book I thought 'why not, I've gone along with them this long.'

The problem with writing for so long and so many books is that you find a certain way of doing thin
Alexandra Chauran
I broke a sweat trying to like this book, but by the end it grew on me. The whole first half was painful, however, because all of the characters were utterly unlikeable. Good world building, but wow, what a pack of jerks who deserve whatever comes to them. Now, I understand where an author is going when she's setting up a character for redemption, but with absolutely no likeable qualities in any of the characters until a fun new character was introduced half-way through the book... Well, if I wa ...more
Marian Willeke
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This was a book that I decided to read only because it was already on my Kindle from when my husband read it. I'm so glad. I really fell in love with these authors and I'm frustrated to no end that I have to wait for the sequel! I don't trust writers to finish their works, but I'm hooked to this one.

There were epic god-wars and excellent representation of the impact characters made to the world, whether they intended to or not. I also loved the Norse culture it portrayed. Weis does a great job b
John Hubenthal
Aug 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, the language was really disappointing, from what I've come to expect from these two. The story was interesting enough, but sunk a peg for each reference of earthy base material and bad language. It would be in the PG-13 range at least, which is always off-putting to me in a book.
Perhaps I ought to mention that a major theme in the book involves the complications which arrise due to the compounding of lies. Imaginatively, there is also an element of summoning dragons, which become constructe
Jonas Salonen
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: previously-owned
Now this was a surprise! I have read over a dozen books from Weis & Hickman. The Drangonlance Chronicles were one of the first fantasy books I read as a child. I read the Chronicles again some time ago and oh man are they simple. They read like somebody had written down how their D&D-night went. I do apreciate them as they are good books for a new reader but in no way are they good literature.

Some of the books that followed the Chronicles were downright awful. Even the plots were uninteresting a
KayDee
3.5 stars. I love Margaret’s Weis Dragonlance series and was looking forward to this series. I didn’t feel it was on the same level of enjoyment. This series is has more adult subject with no filters.

The world building is believable and I like the Viking flavor mixed with Orges, Dragons, Giants, Fae, Druids, immortals and magic!

The main character Skylan drove me nuts!! He is the typical dumb warriors that lives for the next fight and misses every important aspect that is around him. He has a g
Yesenia
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
Kia
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was good!
Skylan the main character was 'team too much' a lot of the time! He's extremely hot-headed and arrogant. I even screamed at him a few times! But, oddly enough, I still liked him! I love fantasy books that explore religions/gods in detail. I enjoyed reading how the gods were apart of the Vindrashi's everyday life. It was also interesting to see even the gods have their own flaws. They can also fight wars, lose, and die! This brought the gods down to earth. Making them more huma
Elsie Ouellet
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True strength and wisdom is not found in being perfect and never making mistakes. It is found in admitting and embracing your mistakes and trying your best to fix them. This is what our hero, Skylan learns by the end of the story. He starts out as a spoiled brat who thinks he’s perfect but by the end he has learned the hard way. His lies and pretending have cost him dearly. A strong sword needs to be put through fire and tested before it is ready for battle.
Derek Jordan
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weis and Hickman seem to do a wonderful job creating a world and fleshing it out - with intense real feeling characters. Feelings and wishes and goals... and then throwing them around, destroying their feelings and goals.. but it's entertaining.. and while that is sad for these characters - it's good story writing. I enjoyed this and plan to get the rest of the series to see where this takes all these wonderfully broken characters. ...more
Suzy
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed for the most part. Yes the main Character is immature and selfish BUT I feel this is a set up for development and growth which you can see by the end of the book. I am interested to see how it works out in future books. Liked the world building and Norse-like Mythology
Donna
Formulaic but entertaining - except for the fact that this turned out to be a series, which I didn't realize until I was half way through this very long book.

Please give me a fantasy writer who can write a satisfying stand-alone book!
Jeff
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Religion is so fabricated and deliberately heavy handed when it’s suits it’s own purposes that it should not even be in a fantasy book. Very disappointing read considering the caliber of the authors...
Malinda Andrews
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seriously have the desire to smack Skylan,....over and over and over and over...ugh.
I hope somewhere in this series he really starts to learn. Not just in the small increments like in this book! Also, I'd like Aylaen to pull her head from her arse.
Greg S
Jul 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was entertained by the book, however, they created such an unlikable main character that rather than read on about his inevitable escape, I prefer to imagine him living out the rest of his days as a slave.
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
I absolutely loved the Dragonlance books so I was hoping to fall in love with a new world. The world is decent, but the people in it are largely unlikable. I only have paid attention and could predict what stupid choice Skylan would make.
Angel
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I recommend this for anyone who has enjoyed the authors other works. Dragons of Autumn Twilight is still my favorite though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sweet Escape (Sweet, #2)
  • Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1)
  • Once a Hero
  • A Dragon Born (Book of One, #3)
  • Gaebrel's Gamble (The Nine Suns, #1)
  • From the Ashes (The Elder Blood Chronicles, #3)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Faerie
  • Weapon of the Guild (The Chronicles of Grimm Dragonblaster, #2)
  • Eye of the Oracle (Oracles of Fire, #1)
  • Up in a Heaval (Xanth #26)
  • X-Men: The Fall of the Mutants
  • Spider-Man: The Venom Factor
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 10
  • Justice League: Gods & Monsters
  • Darksaber (Star Wars: The Callista Trilogy, #2)
  • Dead Acre
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more

Dragonships of Vindras (4 books)
  • Secret of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras, #2)
  • Rage of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #3)
  • Doom of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #4)

News & Interviews