Start by marking “A Family Affair (Cassandra Palmer, #4.1)” as Want to Read:
A Family Affair (Cassandra Palmer, #4.1)

A Family Affair

(Cassandra Palmer #4.1)

"A Family Affair" is a novella connected to the New York Times bestselling Cassandra Palmer series of urban fantasy novels. It is designed primarily as an "added feature" to the series, and is intended for those already reading the books.
ebook, Free read, 46 pages
Published August 7th 2011 by Smashwords (first published August 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Family Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family Affair

Natasha
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
'Family Affair' is an 80 page short story that takes up after 'Curse the Dawn' by Karen Chance.
A free short story is always fun, but a free Pritikin story is even better. Pritikin is honestly one of my favorite male characters I've read ever. I loved that when Cassie and Pritikin switched bodies in Curse the Dawn, you got to see into Pritikins mind and find out what he's really thinking. He's a fascinating character whose loyal, strong and although he's not traditionally handsome, he is strikin
Exina
"It was epic," Rosier said… John scowled.

In A Family Affair, John Pritkin is made to make a deal with his father, Rosier, the Lord of the Incubi: Pritkin has to find and imprison an ancient demon battle queen, Ealdris, in return Rosier stops attempting to murder Cassie.

As Pritkin’s main occupation nowadays is to protect Cassie, it is worth considering, so he delegates Casanova to take care of Cassie, while he is away to chase Ealdris. Casanova is tired of all the fuss over the new pythia, s
Sheyla ✎
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a treat to get a novella where Pritkin is the main character.
He is my favorite character this year (Sorry Eric, Bones, Trent/AL).

The novella starts with Pritkin making a deal with Daddy Demon, Rozier.
Rozier wants Pritkin to stop a demon. In exchange, Rozier will stop trying to kill Cassie. Pritkin agrees to this. He travels to Shadowland (a type of Hell) and later on gets attacked by the thing he was supposed to stop.
Before Pritkin leaves he makes Casanova agree to protect Cassie. Casanova
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Great story! This is a must read for Cassandra Palmer fans.

It was hilarious and full of action, just what you'd expect when Cassie is involved.

Casanova also plays a large role in the story and his reactions and thoughts toward Cassie were hilarious.

"She was like a disease, a human virus that infected everyone around her, turning off their good sense and making them do things completely against their own best interests. Someone should lock her up, study her, figure out a vaccine before the who
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
haha that was awesome. i love how it was from pritkin's point of view and we got to see cassie from someones else view besides her own. i love reading the cassie palmer books and i love that there from her point of view but this short story was also pretty great :)

im annoyed that mircea got up cassie for sending that present to ming-de when ming-de started it, you can tell mircea still dosnt have the right feelings for cassie and still treats her as a prized trophy. he should of stuck up for cas
Cassie
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Family Affair is a free short story from Pritkin and Casanova’s POVs. An ancient demon has escaped her prison and Rosier enlists Pritkin’s help to trap her again...in Hell. While he’s away he forces Casanova to keep an eye on Cassie and it’s a good thing. Because now the demons want her dead too.

This is a fun little short where we finally get to see a little bit of Hell and learn more about Rosier. We also get to meet Rian, the demon who shares Casanova’s body. A great, quick read that adds t
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
I loved this short! Karen Chance takes us on one heck of a joy ride with Cassie, Pritkin and Casanova as the point of view drivers. This was a terrific read. I was wholly impressed with the amount of story that was fitted into this clever and thrilling short. We got to see Cassie and Pritkin doing what they do best and we got to see a more prominent Casanova. How much better could it get? But warning, if you haven't read her previous books, check them out first. There are some pretty significant ...more
Lorre
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just love Pritkin so reading this additional free short story about him was a treat.
In A Family Affair, Pritkin is going on a mission for his father. If Pritkin fulfills the mission Rosier promises to stop hunting Cassie.
Off course the mission goes wrong... nothing new here with Pritkin... and off course when Cassie finds out what Pritkin's up to, she has to go help him and get's herself into trouble, which is also nothing new.
So A Family Affair is the typical Pritkin - Cassie mess which is wh
Jackie
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans Of John Pritkin who have read the Cassie Palmer series
Finally had the chance to read this little short adventure showcased from John Pritkin's POV. Cassie Palmer is once again in danger and John puts his own life on the line. Casanova is involved and chaos ensues. I am so looking forward to reading Hunt the Moon which is sitting on my To Be Read shelf as it should pick up right where this ended. I want to know what happens to Cassie next!
Anna
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ela
Shelves: paranormal
I can't believe I put off reading this for so long. I don't really like short stories but this one is fabulous for any KC fans-really well paced, full of action, humour and some new persceptives. The interplay between the vampires and the demons is great and its nice to see Cassie from a differnt perspective. Made me laugh many times: loved Rosier and Casanova (Rian and Sid) as well as the obvious!.
Liv
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love this story about Pritkin. It was soooooo obvious in this novella that Pritkin felt more than what he was letting on for Cassie. We also saw Casanova again and he was just comical. This was a great addition to the Cassie series!! More, more please!! More of Pritkin would be nice!!!
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Family Affair by Karen Chance is another one of the short stories that fits into the Cassandra Palmer World. In this instance, it’s another one from the perspective of Pritkin! So fans of his should be thrilled about this one.
Unlike the House at Cobb End, A Family Affair is set in the present. Well, the present for the main series, that is. Which means that Cassie and all of the others have a presence in this plot. It fits in after Curse the Dawn, but before Shadowland (another short story)
Amyiw

This was push through it boring for me. The only thing good was getting glimpses into Pritkin's past and the gifts in the beginning and end. Rosier turns from a evil menacing demon to almost a clownish like character, fist fighting with his servants. More than half of the book is chase, attack, run, and duck. It was just exhausting and not fun for me, last minute impossible saves from more than overwhelming and impossible odd in the space of 76 pages. I really was wondering when can we get to a
Wendy Day
Oct 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I loved the story (I can't get enough of Pritkin) but I can't help but feel that the writing was not up to the usual standard. It wasnt even that the dialogue wasnt as witty or sharp, nor that the action was slower and less interesting and intricate- it was that while the story flowed, it was more like a raw sketch built on notes than a finished peice. That being said, I wish there were more to read!
Suzisu
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gawd I'm a sucker for a battered leather coat wearing War Mage....
Love the Pics on Karen Chance's website - yummy!!
you've gotta love Pritkin, he's thawing-out before our very eyes....
Can't think that Cassie is totally oblivious to him or the growing connection between them....
Love it, love it, love it!!
I've been saving Hunt the Moon for my hols next week.... but its oooh soooo tempting
to open it before (!)
Taภya
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great read, downloaded free from Karen Chance's website... This short novella is full of action! and in Pritkin's POV.

Pritkin is the main character, his my favorite male characters Ever.
Also
Casanova plays a large part in the story, his thoughts and reaction are really funny.

A must read for fans of Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series. :)
Dajuan
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finally a novella from Pritkin's point of view! It's fun, crazy, and sweet in turns. Everything is classic Pritkin and Cassie. You get a further glimpse of some side characters that play into future books: Casanova, Rian, and Rosier.
Debrac2014
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Just like Groundhog Day!
Liv
Pritkin! So much Pritkin! I had withdrawals after book #7 and #8 and I can’t even tell you how amazing it felt to have some good old Pritkin here. I missed him so much, so how could I have not loved this book?! I am like a black hole when it comes to my beloved mage, greedily sucking everything of him in. And then there were my other favorite characters, troublemaker Cassie, grumpy Casanova, stubborn Marco, and vicious Rosier.

This shorty was about John Pritkin once again saving the day, or rathe
Amy
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cassandra-palmer
This short story is best read after Curse the Dawn, it is a two part story continuing in Shadowland, another short story. Both stories are told from Pritkin's point of view.

Rosier sends John on a quest to save the demon realm in order to stop Rosier from making attempts on Cassie's life. John leaves to battle an ancient demon without the use of his magic. Cassie finds out that John is risking himself and goes to "rescue" him. In order to get to the demon realm Cassie enlists help from Rian and C
Beth
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I just finished reading this novella and oh my gods that ending is to die for 😂 Another wonderful little insight into Pritkin’s pre Cassie life, and Cassie’s steep learning curve at being Pythia. I adored the idea of soul vendors even while wincing at the morality of such a profession. Action packed, fast paced and yet another brilliant addition to the Chance-verse. Bravo!!!
Maggi Lang
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun foray into the life of John Pritkin- Cassie's friend, protector, and pain in the ass. Family affair gives a great sneak peak into JP's head, hinting at emotions and feelings that he isn't ready to face, while he deals with some demons. Literally. Not really a stand alone, but if you love the CP series it is a great insight.
Mike Amos
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compelling new read by Karen. This exciting novella will keep you on your toes and gives an interesting additional insight into the war mage Pritkin. The ending was so funny that I couldn’t stop laughing. I love how Karen can make you feel like you have read an entire novel even in a small novella, her writing is just so engrossing and packed full of content. A brilliant read.
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, this freebie was fun. I know John is an irritating man sometimes, but I have to say he’s sexy as hell. I totally ship him and Cassie.

And Cassie and Mircea.

And Mircea and John.

Anyways this was a fun one. I sure hope John’s demon daddy stays out of their business.

Or at least stops making their lives harder.
Nicole Luiken
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Had fun reading this short novella set between the Cassie Palmer books 4 & 5, which allows the author to explore some different POV (Pritkin and Casanova). I read the sequel novella Shadowland almost directly after.
A Family Affair is a free short that can be found here.

Okay, this was a fun freebie. I just love the grumpy, sexy mage that is Pritkin. I totally ship the Prissie.
Audrey
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Refreshing to read the story from a different character perspective. Felt slightly less crazy and it reinforced how hectic I feel the story gets in a regular Cassie Palmer book.
Deidre Leclair
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A definite must read, this mini story fills in some of the backstory and give some extra insight into characters.
Rae
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emrys/Mydren/Merlin/John...Pritkin...need I say more?
Becca
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this for the insight you get into Pritkins life and how he views Cassie. Really adds to the understanding of their relationship.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karen Chance Fans: A Family Affair 192 390 Jun 12, 2017 04:50AM

• Chicks Kick Butt
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin, #2.7)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)
  • Trouble on Reserve (The Hollows, #10.5)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Shady Lady (Corine Solomon, #3)
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
  • An Evening for Vayl and Jaz (Jaz Parks #4.5)
  • Unfallen
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more

Cassandra Palmer (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer, #6)
  • Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)
  • Shatter the Earth (Cassandra Palmer, #10)
“She was the oddest combination of contradictions he'd ever met -innocence and sensuality, candour and diplomacy, anxiety and utter fearlessness. He hadn't even begun to figure out how her mind worked. But she was damn well going to live long enough for him to try.” 20 likes
“After a long time, one small hand moved, slowly, tentatively, tracing the feathers falling around her, stroking the black slashes along one huge wing. She didn't ask where he'd gotten them, didn't ask why they mimicked the marks on his shoulder. She didn't ask, just kept running her soft fingers through the down, along the spines…

"How long will they last?"

"A few hours," he said hoarsely. He should tell her, he thought, that the feathers weren't just a projection. That for the moment for however long the Irin's essence held out, they were an innate, physical part of him. And that her fingers stroking along the marks felt just like they once had, moving over his scars. He ought to tell her, ought to ask her to stop. It's what a gentleman would do, he knew that. But then he was half demon. And tonight, he thought maybe he'd just go with that.

"They're nice," she murmured, pulling one around her.
"Yes." One hand tightened in her thick soft hair. "Yes.”
14 likes