Start by marking “Brain Child” as Want to Read:
Brain Child

Brain Child

David Chance, the unknowing offspring of a long-forgotten experiment that produced genetically engineered child geniuses, learns terrible secrets about his own conception and discovers the horrifying course that human history is taking.
Mass Market Paperback, 411 pages
Published August 1st 1992 by AvoNova (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Brain Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Child

Start your review of Brain Child
Liviu
Hard to say how many times I"ve read this book - I would guess this was my 7th or 8th reread of the novel, but possibly more, though first after the 4 year intensive sff reading/reviewing so I was curious how it will stand versus more modern sff - and the book still stands tall so to speak deserving a place on my all time favorite lists (that also covers the rest of the near-future Australia sequence of George Turner comprising Destiny Makers, Drowning Towers, Genetic Soldier and the posthumous ...more
Matt
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious fans of science fiction
This is a somewhat underrated and overlooked science fiction novel, which is told in something of the mystery novel style.

The basic plot concerns a secretive program for breeding geneticly modified and mentally superior children, which after some initially promising successes failed under mysterious circumstances. The children from this program where divided into three groups: the 'A' group with advanced analytical skills, the 'B' group with advanced artistic skills, and the mysterious 'C'
David Layton
George Turner's "Brain Child" is near-future techno-thriller set in Australia. There, because of the "Greenhouse Effect" (a 1990s term for global climate change), the Australian government has imposed its version of the Chinese one-child restriction. The state determines who can or cannot have babies. Those babies born outside of state approval are sent to state-run orphanages. The novel's protagonist-narrator, David Chance, is one such child. He seems on track for a normal life as an orphan ...more
Zatlag
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite science fiction novel. It has a page-turning plot, the fearsome intelligence of the 'C' group, a mysterious legacy that could change the world, and a number of manipulative people, all seen through the eyes of a young reporter.

We don't keep paper books any longer so I was glad to find a pdf version of this book at:

No Kindle or Torrent versions but the pdf looks pretty good.
Jim Walls
There's probably a good 200-page book submerged in these 407 pages. This book suffers from tedious exposition, often in the form of transcripts of interviews by the protagonist and much of which does not advance the plot. (I am surprised at other readers' comments that the plot moved briskly.) The protagonist is bland and the other characters all unpleasant to varying degrees, which makes it doubly difficult to slog through to the end.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
George Turner's Brain Child
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - November 2, 2011

I'm always looking for SF writers that I'm not familiar w/ who might be producing work outside of the series-w/-hero formula that many SF writers resort to, presumably for financial reasons. This one seemed promising - esp given that I'm also usually interested in titles that reference brains. &, indeed, I quite liked it - even though I only gave it a 3 star rating.

It took me awhile to realize that
Bad Tim
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow, this was a great story, but with a lukewarm ending. well worth the ride and the narrarator's pseudo-edwardian voice.

pretty much everybody in the story is a self-serving jerk, but the glimpse into the future and the horrors of genetic tampering are compelling. it also has the hottest sex scene i've read in a long time... and there was no physical contact!
Jerico
Nov 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really should be three and a half stars. Good stuff, in a slightly hokey near future setting, with an interesting cast of characters and a very interesting mystery. The portrayal of the enhanced children (and the adults they grow into) is done perfectly.
Ascian
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A beautiful story, well told, and very captivating. Delicious.

I wish that George Turner had gotten more foreign recognition for his outstanding work while he lived.

These days, I read Brain Child about once a year. I've read it over a dozen times by now, I guess.
Beth
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I agree with the reviews that say this is a pretty good sci fi book with a mediocre ending. Kind of reminded me of the end of The Jungle - talk talk talk.
Jack
May 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor science fiction. Dull plotting, uninteresting and unlikable characters, a near-future world sketchily imagined.
Rogue Reader
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
Chilling future of genius sociopaths, destroyed. Turner is inventive and persuasive, turning corners and creating suspense.
Kyra
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and prescient, but in the end - dreary.
Richp
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done.
Marven Krug
Great premise, but marred by some boring stretches in the middle. Good ending. Okay to skip this one...
Jacob
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jk-book-swap
As entertaining the second time as it was 10+ years ago!
Minna
May 21, 2012
Stas
Jun 25, 2013
Tara
rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2011
Mar 20, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Peter the Great: His Life and World
  • The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World
George Turner was born and educated in Melbourne. He served in the Australian Imperial Forces during the Second World War.

Prior to writing science fiction, he had a well established reputation as mainstream literary fiction writer, his most productive period being from 1959 to 1967, during which he published five novels. Over a decade after his previous publication of a full length work of