Start by marking “Grandfather Twilight” as Want to Read:
Grandfather Twilight

Grandfather Twilight

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  1,646 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
When day is gone, and shadows begin to deepen, it is time for Grandfather Twilight to close his book, put on his jacket, and go for a walk through the forest.

Little birds hush as he walks by, and the rabbits and other small creatures watch in silence as he performs his very special evening task and returns to his house among the trees. Small readers and listeners, too, wil
Published November 12th 1996 by PaperStar (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Grandfather Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandfather Twilight

Kathryn
The illustrations in this story are so lovely; soft, glowing, and gently magical--perfect for bedtime! The story is pleasant, too, following the activities of Grandfather Twilight as he awakes at the end of the day and sets about putting the moon in the sky. There was one point in the story that I found a little odd/confusing given the cycle of the moon, but otherwise I quite enjoyed the overall book mostly due to the illustrations.
Samantha
This was one of my most favorite of stories growing up. I still imagine I have a room sometimes that is half room and half nature as is depicted in Grandfather Twilight. This book is full of beautiful illustrations, imagination, creativity, and inspiration. I would recommend to children everywhere and even adults who still recognize their inner child.
Allie
This is definitely a book that was read to me before bed as a child! I didn't remember it at all until I came across it on goodreads and requested it from the library. I remember every single illustration! It's nothing super groundbreaking, but I have very warm memories of this book and I'm considering ordering a copy for my library (provided it's still in print).
Ann
4.5 stars for the illustrations

The illustrations in this book are beautiful! The good thing is, they could almost tell the story all on their own. The down side is that I almost found the little text that was there to be confusing. Still is a great story and the illustrations are a true feast for the eyes! Recommended for those alone!
Miriam
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Very gentle story about dusk, with sweet and picturesque illustrations.
Lisa Corathers
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming, sweet book with splendid illustrations. I love the idea that the full moon grows from a tiny pearl...with Grandfather Twilight's help, of course.
Julianne
There really isn't anything as arresting as a picture book you had read to you in childhood and which you haven't read since. I came across this book while searching the bookshelves of my grandparents' cottage for something entirely different and was as distracted from my search as if someone had reached through time and kidnapped me.

This book is light on words and long on pictures, and the connections a child will make in his or her mind while looking at the pictures and hearing the story are
Jane G Meyer
Though I'm a big fan of Donkey's Dream, also by Barbara Berger, this book doesn't strike me the same way. The illustrations are lovely, even magical, and the text is short and lyrical and nice for bed time, but the theme could be quite confusing to little ones.

Not that they shouldn't be exposed to fantasy and metaphor, but I'd prefer for my small children to think that God is the one who sails the moon into the sky--or even--if subtly we knew that this was a task that was given to the grandfath
Julia
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright I am ashamed I don't ever remember this having an actual story lol since I was too caught up in the beautiful pictures, which can tell the story instead. The pictures are softy glowing, muted and just breathtaking in the colors that they give as well as the details of the members within the pictures. If you are into art this book for the pictures alone will haunt you.

Getting a chance to read the story again I can remember it vaguely. The words are simple and easy to read so definitely
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Grandfather Twilight is an old man who lives in the woods and puts the full moon into the sky. This is a beautiful bedtime story, with illustrations that take us to an imaginary world where a pearl grows to the size of the moon and an old man's body blends into the dusky sky. Spare text and creative vision.
Jill Pickle
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luminous. I still have my copy from childhood.
Munro's Kids
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anna
The velvety-soft illustrations in this book about twilight transforming the world were a key influence in changing how I thought about the wilderness as a child: while not overly cutesy, the forest and its creatures appear beautiful and nonthreatening, and the coming of night is shown as a welcome part of their rhythms. Peaceful and memorable; the perfect bedtime picture book.
-Anna
Anna
Such a beautiful classic. Everyone should read this to their children.
Lynda Kern
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gentle bedtime story that my children loved.
Lizanell
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
beautiful illustrations and a very simple story
Nate B
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures made this book more than the story
Meredith
Our local public library is discarding the books from my childhood on their $0.50 book sale cart, and I found and reread Grandfather Twilight.

This is a gentle bedtime read. Dusk is personified as an elderly man who at the end of the day, closes his book and takes a pearl from a chest. He then takes a walk through the woods to the shore of the sea and releases the pearl into the sky where it becomes the moon.
Donna Mork
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated. Simply written to tell a beautiful story.
Miki Tennant
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book because in the book it is nature
Murphy
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When a day ends it comes time for Grandfather Twilight to put down his book, comb his beard, put on his jacket and collect a pearl from a strand of pearls hidden in a wooden chest. Then, holding that pearl in his hand Grandfather Twilight heads off for a walk in the forest towards the sea. The pearl in his hand grows larger and larger, eventually becoming the moon which Grandfather Twilight gently offers up to the “silence above the sea” a spot where the moon can comfortably find its place to sh ...more
Linda Lane
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical - a favorite book of Hugh's when he was a baby.
Lv2readB
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berger, B. (1984). Grandfather twilight. New York: Philomel Books.
(re-published in 1996 and 1999)

Summary:
Grandfather Twilight lives among the trees. When “day is done”, he takes a pearl and as he walks through the forest, it grows. When he reaches the sea, the pearl becomes the moon and night brings sleep to Grandfather Twilight and his animals.
The layout of the words throughout the book (usually one sentence per page) makes the reader feel as though he/she is reading a drawn-out, beautifully-i
Erik Akre
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all children and all of their adults
This is the most beautiful children's book I have read/seen (and I have read quite a few!).

The illustrations are indescribable really, such subtle color, the hues of twilight creeping into the book bit by bit in the old man's twilight jacket. The story itself is so incredibly simple: Grandfather Twilight moves through the forest, and when night comes he places a gift in the sky. It is poetry, and a perfect vehicle for the pictures. I find myself at a loss to say more here...

It is what it is. Th
Leslie Kress
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Grandfather Twilight is a magical yet peaceful story. There are not a whole lot of words to the story so the illustrations tell a very big part of the story. Grandfather Twilight takes a small pearl out of a chest. I love as he walks closer and closer to the ocean and the pearl keeps getting bigger. It is fun watching children slowly realizing that the pearl is the moon. I found the story powerful because it is as if you are in a completely different world. There are many different animals in th ...more
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grandfather Twilight is a beautifully told explanation of how twilight is created. Grandfather Twilight lives in a forest, reading books all day. When the day comes to an end, he gets a pearl out of his chest of endless pearls. As he walks towards the ocean, the pearl becomes larger. Grandfather Twilight releases the pearl into the sky, and it becomes the moon.
The detailed illustrations are the heart and soul of the story. The illustrations were painted in acrylic. The scenery and animals are
Monica
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Grandfather twilight, at the end of the day chooses a pearl from a large chest and walks with his dog to the sea. As we walks the pearl grows. When he reaches the sea, he places the pearl in the "silence above", returns home, and goes to sleep.

The imagery in this book is so gentle that it lulls the reader into the serenity of twilight. With soft pastel hues and one line text, it is especially good for the young child and helps to stretch the imagination when it comes to thinking about the moon
Meghan Brigan
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grandfather Twilight is a traditional bedtime story for children ages two to eight years old. Grandfather Twilight goes out on a stroll every evening. As he walks a string of pearls is created. The pearl represents the moon which Grandfather Twlight is in charge of hanging in the sky. This book is so peaceful and serene. The images and text would work perfectly to create a sleepy mood. I really enjoyed that when Grandfather Twilight went to bed he was surrouned by his animal friends. I think for ...more
Tammy Knowles
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Grandfather Twilight, by Barbara Berger is about a old man named Grandfather Twilight who lives among the trees. When “day is done”, he takes a pearl and as he walks through the forest, it grows. When he reaches the sea, the pearl becomes the moon and night brings sleep to Grandfather Twilight and his animals. This book has beautiful pictures that would allow a child to use their imagination about living in the wilderness.

Candice
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I remember reading this to Ellen and never forgot how beautiful the illustrations are. It's a good book to put little ones in a sleepy mood. Every evening Grandfather Twilight opens a wooden chest, takes out one pearl, and goes for a walk. That pearl grows larger with every step until, "Gently, he gives the pearl to the silence above the sea." With poetic words and soft-focus illustrations of a kind man, lovely landscape, and friendly animals, this is a good book to snuggle with. Some of the pag ...more
Donna Davis
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, reviewed
This is a soothing, wonderful book to transition your child to bedtime. I don't think it is sold as a board book, but there is not a lot of text on each page, so you can read it to a very young child. Grandfather Twilight is in charge of creating dusk, then night, and he does it slowly, beautifully, almost (you may hope) hypnotically. Read in a soft, soothing voice, this is a wonderful choice for a last book if you read more than one at bedtime. Any child who is ready for text and won't rip page ...more
  • The Sun Egg
  • Roxaboxen
  • The Tomten
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • The Secret Staircase
  • Oh, Were They Ever Happy!
  • Hedgie's Surprise
  • A Fairy Went A-Marketing
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • Clara and Asha
  • The Stranger
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

Fo
More about Barbara Helen Berger...