Start by marking “Bacchae” as Want to Read:
Bacchae

Bacchae

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  9,992 Ratings  ·  375 Reviews
Euripides' powerful investigation of religious ecstasy and the resistance to it is an argument for moderation, rejecting the lures of pure reason as well as pure sensuality.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published -405)

Count No Count
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, dear friends, is a chilling reminder of why I seldom attend parties.
Roy Lotz
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of Greek tragedy. But when I attempt reviews, my tongue turns to ashes in my mouth. It’s not that they’re too old (I’ve reviewed older books), nor because they’re so foundational (I’ve reviewed equally fundamental books). It’s because I strongly suspect that I just don’t get it. It strikes me that the Greek tragedians were trying to accomplish something essentially different from what I’ve come to expect from literature.

Greek tragedy has not even the slightest ele
Jenny
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"[...]το μόνο απ'όλα
τ'αγαθά στους θνητούς που σαν το χάσουν
ξανά δεν το αποκτούν, είναι η ζωή τους·
τ'άλλα μπορούν και πάλι να κερδίσουν."

David Sarkies
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tragedy
The Ancient Greeks had raves
2 May 2013

We actually don't have a complete copy of this play though the edition that I read attempts to reconstruct the missing sections (which is mostly at the end) because, as they say, this is a popular play that is regularly performed. This in itself is a strange statement since I have never seen it performed (in fact I have only ever seen one Greek play performed, and that was Oedipus Tyrannous and that was by an amateur theatre group). Mind you, Greek plays te
Jenny
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Όσους κολακευτικούς χαρακτηρισμούς κι αν χρησιμοποιήσω,θα είναι λίγοι.Λίγα θεατρικά έργα με άγγιξαν όσο αυτό-διαβάστε το και θα με θυμηθείτε!
Cemre
Bu sefer kolaya kaçıyorum ve yorum yapmayıp kitaptan benim için kitabın özeti olan iki alıntı yapmayı tercih ediyorum.

"İnsani tutkular tanrılara yakışmaz" (s.62).

"Tanrılar insanların bahtında
türlü türlü gösterirler kudretlerini.
Türlü hallere sokarlar bizi hiç beklenmedik,
umduğumuz şeyler olmaz
ummadığımız hallere getirirler bizi.
İşte bu dram da böyle bitti
" (s.64).
Moira Russell
....no, I don't know why Elvis's mugshot is on the cover either.
Alex
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Blood fans
Shelves: 2014, rth-lifetime
Antigone on PCP

Sophocles' Antigone is about tyranny, or more broadly authority: Creon's need for order vs. Antigone's need for personal freedom. Everyone loses, Creon most of all, and your reaction to Antigone might depend partly on your feelings about authority; if you're a pro-authority type of person, your sympathies might tend towards Creon.

Here we have essentially the same debate. Dionysos shows up in his birthplace of Thebes to start his cult, with a band of ecstatic lady followers in tow.
Yann
Innombrables sont les manifestations de la volonté divine; innombrables aussi les événements qu'ils accomplissent contre notre attente. Ceux que nous attendions ne se réalisent pas ; ceux qu'on n'attendait pas, un dieu leur fraye la voie.

Les Bacchantes (Βάκχαι) sont une pièce écrite par Euripide (-480;-406), mais jouée un an après sa mort en -405, et ayant remporté le prix du concours de théâtre Athénien des fêtes de Dionysos. Elle met en scène le dieu lui-même, retournant dans la patrie de sa m
Evripidis Gousiaris
Σ Υ Γ Κ Λ Ο Ν Ι Σ Τ Ι Κ Ο !
Keely
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-plays
This is the greatest Greek play I have read. I am just speechless. The way Euripides crafted this play was just...no words can give it justice. The rising intensity, the characters, the writing. I'll leave the rest of my thoughts for my actual review but...wow. Just wow.
Nora Barnacle
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ovo izdanje je bruka, sramota, glupilo, groza, rajzbojništvo, blasfemija, neoprostiva grehota, nenadoknadiva šteta i najbrutalnije poniženje za: srpski jezik na koji je prevedena, (novo) grčki jezik sa koga je prevedena, starogrčki jezik na kome je pisana, sve profesore koji su ovoj osobi što se naziva prevodiocem predavale u svim školama, grčku tragediju kao kulturoški pojam, Dionisa kao božanstvo. Ma, sve!
Ne, nije pogrešno. Sve je suprotno od smisla, ideje, suštine, namere, poente i zakona Kos
Kutşın Sancaklı
Dionysos tragedya içinde kendi tragedyasını yazıp sahneliyor gibi.. Diğer okuduklarım arasında bu açıdan ilgi çekiciydi..
Elie Feng
The main idea is communal intoxication and insanity through ritualistic practice. But I don't think Euripides' language or portrayal of violent scenery conveys the sense very strongly.
Nesrazmerni
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Najbolja od Euripida, zasad! :D DIONIS FOR LIFE!
Jim
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient_greece, plays
I have been reading Anne Carson's translations of Greek tragedy. Bakkhai is a lesser-known drama, but deserves to be better known. It's theme is that it's not a terribly good idea to flout the divine, as Pentheus does. Dionysos in the beginning seems to be amenable to a wide range of behaviors, but Pentheus goads him until -- dressed as a woman -- he is murdered by his own mother in the presence of the Bakkhai (Bacchic women). As Anne Carson translates, Euripides at one point says:
To live and th
Alp Turgut
Euripides'in anlattığı olayın şiirselliğine kendi kaptırarak anlatmak istediğini aslında tam anlatamadığı bir eser olan "The Bacchae / Bakkhalar", erkekle kadınlığın birleştiği şarap tanrısı Zeus'un oğlu Dionysos'un ona tapınmayı reddeden Thebai kralı Petheus'tan aldığı intikamını konu alıyor. Euripides'in aslında insan gibi duygularıyla hareket eden Tanrıları eleştirdiği oyunda Dionysos'un zamanla farklılaşarak İsa'ya dönüştüğünü söyleyebiliriz. Söyleyemesek bile aralarında fazlasıyla benzerlik ...more
Maria A
This is why I dont go to parties
Meg
This was all kinds of amazing. Maybe I'm so impressed because it's the first time I've ever read Euripides. (Predictably enough, I'm dazzled by tragedy).

The version I read is the translation of Bacchae by Richard Lattimore (I know goodreads says I read another edition, but I just really like this cover!)

Translation of a work, especially when the language is so far away from contemporary English-- not just linguistically, but also in terms of a difference in epoch and culture of two millennium--
Lee Harmon
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who don’t recognize the title, this ancient Greek theater piece is about the god Dionysus, god of wine. It was first performed in Athens, in 405 BC. And for those who still don’t catch the connection to my blog, it’s this: Many of the characteristics of Jesus are shared with this frivolous Greek god, and at least one of Jesus’ miracles—turning water into wine—also seems closely related. In fact, the late Byzantine play, The Passion of Christ, drew heavily on the Bakkhai.

Greek tragedies
Michael
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems that after my constant bickering about the soap-opera qualities of almost every Greek tragedy, the Bacchae would be exactly the same. Actually, I was shocked to find most (if not all) of the conventional, recycled themes in each Greek tragedy not here. It was actually one of the best plays I've ever read.

If you've ever watched True Blood and enjoyed the Maryann storyline, this play is basically the same premise. Dionysus comes to town, wreaks havoc on everything, and then dances merrily
Vendela
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
essentially copied straight from my very incoherent email to a friend and not at all edited for clarity, grammar or sense:

holy shit. this translation. this--holy shit. i'm wholly overcome, i read it straight through on the bus to and from my grandmother's tonight, and i can't--the LANGUAGE. the choruses. the dialogue of the theatrical parts that are so well translated that you understand exactly what is happening and i just. oh god. and then martha nussbaum wrote the introduction about balancing
Dey Martin
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a pdf from the Internet archive. Actually had to pull another version from Yale for the ending which was missing from the IA version. Two very different translations too. One very Shakespearian and the other rather straight and laking theatrical flair. I prefer the Shakespeare-y version.

I see direct parallels with the story of Jesus in Dionysus' birth and later in shedding his Godness, and manifesting as a human to walk among men. The way Dionysus speaks of his own Godliness when
Po Po
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally insane story.

For those who believe that videogames, TV shows and films are making us all a little more violent -- I present to you this classic play written somewhere between 485 and 406 BC. It contains unapologetic and gratuitous violence. Just for shits n giggles. This is open to interpretation, but I find that the point of this play is to reveal two messages: (1) "Don't mess with higher powers" or you'll die. And (2) humans are bloodthirsty (yes, this is a pessimistic and unpopular v
Yeni López
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siempre me cuesta mucho trabajo delinear las caracteristicas de los escritores de tragedias clásicas, a veces siento que se tratara de una voz común tratando distintas maneras. A lo mejor esto sucede porque no soy una especialista en este tipo de literatura y siempre que me acerco a ella es por cuestiones académicas o para trabajar un texto. Sin embargo, no quiere decir que no las disfrute. Las Bacantes es, desde el aspecto narrativo, una delicia. Pues si bien, el misterio es revelado al lector ...more
yarrow
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Carson's translation really captures a lot of nuance in the story that I haven't picked up in other versions. Very powerful and with a lot of complexity. Her introductory poem is also really enjoyable.
M.L. Rio
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a marvelous play and one of my favorites. Anne Carson's new translation is poetic and lovely, but in some places I think she takes the modernization a little too far and some words feel anachronistic and jarring.
Sean Chick
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark and bloody play about the wraith of the gods and the inability of man to fully suppress his more bestial appetites. This is the sort of stuff I want to write!
Bryn Hammond
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bacchae is the Greek play that speaks to me.
Lefteris
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-drama
Οι Βάκχες δεν είναι δράμα σεναριακών ανατροπών, αλλά είναι η τραγωδία των ακροτήτων και των πολλαπλών αντιθέσεων. Ο θεατής πληροφορείται εξαρχής το σκληρό τέλος, ώστε να μην επικεντρωθεί στο μονοδρομικό «τι», αλλά στο τεθλασμένο και σκοτεινό «πώς». Τελικά, ολόκληρο το δράμα γίνεται μια ανάτμηση της ανθρώπινης προσωπικότητας μέσα από το πρίσμα της λογικής και της μανίας, αλλά και μια ποιητολογική σπουδή στη γένεση της ίδιας της τραγωδίας.

Σχεδόν εξίσου σημαντική με την αντίστιξη θείου και ανθρωπίν
Stora Läs Bok Vän...: Februari 2016 :: The Bacchae (Backanterna) 4 6 Feb 04, 2016 02:39PM
Bacchae and Rock and Roll 1 10 Jul 26, 2014 08:23AM
This text was specifically tailored for performance 1 12 Feb 19, 2013 12:55PM
  • Philoctetes
  • Frogs
  • The Libation Bearers (Ορέστεια, #2)
  • The Pot of Gold and Other Plays
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
More about Euripides...