Start by marking “Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea, #1)

Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Sweet Tea #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  563 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Come sit on the porch a spell.

Welcome to the world of Sw
Published May 1st 2000 by BelleBooks (first published April 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes

Bark
I read and reviewed this author many years ago but never again and this is why.

Here's my original review so those who will cannot accuse me of being a drive-by troll. If anything I was a silly fangirl. I wrote this way back when. Ahhh, innocence was bliss.

Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes is a charming collection of stories that range from sweetly sentimental tearjerkers to laugh out loud funny slice-of-life tales. And, best of all, there isn't a dud in the entire bunch. All of the stories were obviou
MissSusie
Sweet Tea & Jesus Shoes By Sandra Chastain, Deborah Smith, Donna Ball, Virginia Ellis, Debra Dixon, Nancy Knight Narrated By Lee Ann Howlett
Length: 4 hrs and 27 mins
This was a cute collection of southern short stories; is it odd that my favorites are the ones about funerals and death. Each story is a unique look at a day in the life of a southern family.

I’m sorry, if I had read this in paper I would have had the name of each story and a little something about each one but since I listened on
Amy "the book-bat"
I'm not generally one to read a lot of short stories. They just aren't my thing. That said, I really enjoyed this short story collection. The conversational style felt like I could have been siting at the kitchen table listening to family stories. The stories were mostly about family. Many stories included pets, food, death, and other everyday kinds of topics. I liked that there was a tendency to find the humor in whatever the situation was. At the end of the book was a collection of recipes tha ...more
Zoe
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of day-in-the-life short stories set in the South. Some effectively evoke all the cultural nostalgia that defines Southern charm, quirks and familial dynamics, and the related hilarity. Some left me wanting, leaning a little too heavily on cultural stereotypes, with a lack of nuance or complexity. Over all, would still recommend as a fun and quick read.
Phyllis Dodzweit
A real southern treat!!

For those of us northern folks unfamiliar with the southern way of life this is a rare great of a book to read!
Heather Brush
Source: www.inscriptionsmagazine.com
Reviewer: Heather Brush
Six southern, veteran authors tell tales of living in the South and life's lessons, through "black sheep" relatives, persistent pets and neighborly nosiness. Stories such as these could be heard from Grandmom or Great Aunt Alma about everyday events, like how Thanksgiving turned into a funeral family reunion, or how a pitcher of sweet tea can illuminate the great divide of North and South.

Each story takes on a life of its own with a deta
Margaret
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Southern Ladies, Northern Ladies, East Cost Ladies, West Coast Ladies
From Amazon:

Come sit on the porch a spell. Let's talk about times gone by and folks we remember, about slow summer evenings and lightning bugs in a jar. Listen to the music of a creaky swing and hand-cranked ice cream and cicadas chorusing in the sultry night air. Let's talk about how things used to be in the South--and for some of us, they way they still are.

Welcome to the world of Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes, where award winning authors Deborah Smith, Sandra Chastain, Virginia Ellis, Debra Dixon
Kimberly
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Audiobook) is a collection of short southern stories that will soothe your soul and warm your heart. These are just simple, old-fashion stories that you would hear among family or friends; the type of stories that will make you laugh or cry but will always enjoy. I have always enjoyed the writings of southern authors and their ability to tell a good story with plenty of detail and a great deal of heartfelt honesty. And, I wasn't the least bit disappointed with this col ...more
Rrshively
This is a collection of short stories by several southern women authors. It truly brings a flavor of the culture and combines humor and pathos. As a Yankee through and through I was interested in this point of view. I do like sweet tea, but I dislike NASCAR races. It gave insight in areas where I differ from the particular author's point of view, and I found that, yes, I do have things in common with some of the authors. I really enjoy being a keeper of the past whether it be Civil War letters o ...more
Lacey
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I loved this collection of Southern short stories. there were so many cute sayings that made me laugh and brought back memories. some of my favorites...

"In the South, it must be understood; you don't marry the woman, you marry the family"

"In the South, insults can be delivered without accountability as long as you preface them with, 'Bless her heart...'"

"After she was gone he learned the power of temporary beauties" (referring to fresh flowers)

if you're a Kindle reader, this is a free download f
Nancy
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is comprised of a series of unrelated, though similar in their "Southern-ness", short stories by 6 authors. It's an easy and for the most part pleasant read. Some are humorous, some are poignant,and there are a couple that bring tears to your eyes before you chuckle. They are written more in times gone by and I remember many of these traditions, opinions, and ways of thinking from my childhood. It's worth the read though if you didn't grow up in the south, you might need someone to int ...more
Michelle
I was drawn to this book because I love the title and was curious to find out what Jesus shoes are.

I enjoyed this book. Some of the stories were funny, especially the one about the mouse, the grandma that made her own Christmas gifts, and the Sweet Tea story. A few of them were slow or kind of weird, but overall I would say it's a nice, easy read for people who are interested in reading about Southern culture.
Ashley
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of stories from Southern women. They come from Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Being Southern, I can relate to many of these stories. I loved reading this book and visiting my Southern roots all over again. This book even has several good recipes at the end. It was a good read.
Denise Ballentine
A satisfying drink of Southern lore, legend, and life, told in varying short stories. Some are better than others, but I really enjoyed every one of these. "Grandma Tells a Tale" really resonated with me. I confess that I probably liked this more than I should have. Nice, homey, sometimes corny, and lots of fun.
Gina
Nov 07, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just starting this one. Found it in a used book store in a little town. Inside it was written "Jill, this is a book I really hope you enjoy. I really enjoyed another book these ladies wrote. Love, Mom".
This must have been a special book she wanted to share with her daughter. Love when I find these.
Shaynipper
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading about the Southern lifestyle. This anthology from several writers was one of the best so far - just simple storytelling without mocking Yankees, husbands, or errant family members.
Tiffany
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Henry James short stories, but they are a couple hundred pages. These stories were far too short for me to get into, and it was hard for me to see a point to them. I read them all, but even a day later I do not remember even a single story in the book that I read.
Mary
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming books about the South...short stories...not two of my favorite things, and yet I loved this book.
Each story is an original. This really is that rare book that makes you laugh and cry; sometimes at the same time.
Wanda
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of stories about our experiences growing up in the South and our quirky relatives. I know or knew someone like those in these stories. It was like reading a book of mostly fond memories.
Sally Kilpatrick
Where did my review go? Ugh. Okay, so Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes is just the sort of story collection that reminds me of the stories I heard growing up. I can't help but love quirky southern--especially when it reminds me of Granny.
Betsy
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't really recommend this book. The stories are cute, but they are a little cheesy. Also, this book apparently was not edited or spell-checked during the publication process. Of course that bothers me!
Julie
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Put this one on hold to read a couple of others. I'm enjoying the stories though and plan to pick it up again soon.

Picked it up again and put it down again after reading a couple of stories. I'm determined to finish this one but it isn't so good that you can't put it down.

Finally finished!
Djdee
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Good bedtime reading as in short writings. Good for all ages. Puts you firmly in the time period.
Jessica
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories with the south that only southern humor can relate.
Debra
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading collections and usually base my selection on the title. With this title, how could I not?
Karen
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of easy to read short stories highlighting some unique qualities of southern folks. Nice read.
Diane
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stories. Could not put this book down. Written by Southern Women. Would recommend this to everyone
Kathy
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series of short stories about the south was a fun fast read. I wanted more. And some really good strong sweet tea!
Teri Pre
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
Nice stories, even though I don't usually like short stories!
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new audiobook 5 152 Sep 19, 2012 02:32PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new audiobook 5 148 Sep 19, 2012 10:30AM
  • Grits Friends Are Forevah: A Southern-Style Celebration of Women
  • Bestseller Bound Anthology (Volume 1)
  • The Book of Peach
  • Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters That the Rest of Y'All Should Know Too
  • On Grandma's Porch: Stories and True Facts about Growing up Southern in the Good Old Days (Sweet Tea, #3)
  • Trouble Down South and Other Stories
  • Quiet Reflections of Peace: 120 Devotions to End Your Day
  • Flowers for Elvis
  • The Goddess of Fried Okra
  • Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Wings of Hope
  • Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More than 100 true stories
  • Oh, That I Had Wings
  • Tender Graces
  • Dance With a Vampire
  • Delightfully Twisted Tales: Wisps, Spells and Faerie Tales (Volume Four)
  • The Southern Belles of Honeysuckle Way
aka Jackie Leigh
aka Della Stone
aka Leigh Bridger

Bestselling Author
Co-founder, co-publisher
Vice-president, Editor in Chief
BelleBooks, Memphis, TN

Deborah Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of A Place to Call Home, and the No. 1 Kindle Bestseller The Crossroads Cafe, A Gentle Rain and other acclaimed romantic novels portraying life and love in the modern Appalachian South. A native Georg
More about Deborah Smith

Sweet Tea (4 books)
  • More Sweet Tea (Sweet Tea, #2)
  • Sweeter Than Tea (Sweet Tea, #4)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“I declare, that’s the prettiest baby I ever saw.” We say that even if the infant in question would draw a blister on an outhouse from a hundred yards away.” 0 likes
“The simple, unvarnished truth was that Aunt Claree could suck down more alcohol between breakfast and lunch than any three church deacons on a weekend bender.” 0 likes