Start by marking “The Great Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Great Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Great Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

(Sherlock Holmes)

From the strange case of 'The Red-Headed League' to the extraordinary tale of 'The Engineer's Thumb', Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr Watson grapple with treachery, murder, and ingenious crimes of all kinds. But no case is too challening for the immortal detective's unique power of deduction.
With an introduction by Joseph Delaney, author of the Spooks books, and child
Published March 30th 1995 by Puffin Classics (first published 1990)

Dorothée
Unfortunately this book made for passive reading. I usually love detective novels as they're engaging to read and I really enjoy trying to figure out the case as the book goes along and come up with the solution myself. However, the vast majority of Sherlock Holmes' stories do not allow for this, especially because Holmes' epiphanies almost always arise from visual clues - something the reader does not have access to due to the stories being written from Watson's perspecive. And unlike Agatha Ch ...more
Caro
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Interesting, creative, imaginative, detailed, and fun to read. Definitely keeps the interest and has you turning pages to see what's gonna happen next. Colorful characters, curious mysteries, fun antics and bantering, and simple yet complex answers. Can you figure it out before the end? ;) Enjoyable to read and contains a few shorter stories so it's not too much at once. Great for the youngsters and adults alike. Totally Enjoy!
C.A. *On Hiatus*
Overall the stories were interesting, intriguing, suspenseful and complicated, which I enjoyed. But it was disappointing that most of the stories did not give the reader the clues necessary to solve the case on their own.

The Solitary Cyclist: 2 stars. It was okay, but the outcome could have been a little less predictable and a little more interesting.
Charles Augustus Milverton: 4 stars. I really liked it. It was so action-packed and suspenseful and intriguing. I loved how they snuck into his hou
Meg
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Arthur Conan Doyle's iconic master of logic and detective calculation comes through time and again in the well-known and beloved mysteries of Sherlock Holmes. With Doyle's unmatched atmospheric evocation of Victorian London, unforgettable leads, and imaginative mysteries, Sherlock Holmes is delightful.
Nathan Whatley
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another Puffin classic success. I love the size, look, print and price of the books in this series. It makes reading Arthur Conan Doyle that much more enjoyable.
Willy Akhdes
As always, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is presenting a series of thrilling stories that rouse the curiosity about what it would be the end of the enigma that he shows at the beginning.
Stephanie Hartley
This is such a nice, easy summer read that you can skim through in a couple of days. It's the first Arthur Conan Doyle novel that I've ever read and I definitely see why it's made such a long-lasting impression in the world! Sherlock Holmes is English literature's first detective who relies on his intuition to solve crimes rather than clues. If you're a fan of crime novels, then this is a must-read.
Arroyo
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exactly as you’d expect of Sherlock. But a few of the stories didn’t give nearly any of the clues that would let the reader figure out the mystery beforehand ...
BIRDIE
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Doyle is near perfect but buying a random collection is just worthless
Baclofen Gliddon
Sherlock should have consumed more cocaine.
Jennie Koh
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has amazing stories of Sherlock Holmes adventures with Dr. Watson.
Yrag Notsew
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Sherlock Holmes is.... well, Sherlock Holmes, isn't he! So of course, it was interesting and fun.
رناد
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love detectives , mystery & action , it is a must read. It is basically the best book to get an insight in the world of Sherlock Holmes.
Bastien Howard
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, scribd
A fun classic to listen to. I appreciated it more realizing that the detective mystery genre was started with this. Sometimes reading classics like this, you don't always recognize that this was the first, and that is partly why it was a classic.
Maha
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
first time that I read for sherlock holmes. it requires concentration but I have found that most of the cases could be figured out right before the end and the rest you have to wait for the missing clue that he didn't give earlier in his stories. will I read more of his adventures latter? defenitly yes will do.
Taylre Duncan
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The mystery book, The Great Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle, is a story about a doctor and a detective who live in London. Sherlock Holmes is a private investigator who helps random citizens when the Scotland Yard cannot solve the case. By his side throughout the book is the trusty Dr. Watson. Mr. Holmes is a very smart man who can solve almost any crime in a matter of days. He uses common sense, witt, and his gut feelings. Dr. Watson is Sherlock Holmes righthand man. He ...more
Rick  Sanchez
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable version of the book. I liked it a lot !
Feneel
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. I actually got it in year 7 but haven't gotten round to reading this book till now. This is for the people who like to watch a lot suspense and crime films. There are 8 short stories which are about 30-50 pages long. The classical character, Sherlock Holmes was first introduced in the late 1800's. But the book is still awesome because of the idea. The fact that Holmes was a detective with very unique abilities of a making scientific and logical deductions of people rat ...more
Jose Moch
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although some of the stories follow a similar pattern; for instance a greedy father or stepfather who wants to prevent the daughter from getting married and thus losing the dowry to the groom and to thwart this event plans evil schemes,the circumstances always change, making the stories highly readable. Sometimes the briskness and accuracy with which Holmes comes up with the solution to the plot seem somewhat gratuitous, but what is highly remarkable is that the reader really thinks of Holmes as ...more
Yash Talekar
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To begin with, I love to read Sherlock Holmes so that partially explains why I decided to rate the book 5 stars. If you are a mystery lover and love to have a great deal of suspense and anxiety in the book, then I will completely suggest reading the book. I wouldn't promise you of it being only one big story or idea that goes along the entire book. Rather Sherlock Holmes is always a collection of short stories. I just love the way the story starts in the beginning of the awkwardly and mystifying ...more
Hannah Emery
I hadn't read any Sherlock Holmes before this book and was pleasantly surprised; for some reason, I hadn't realized that Doyle's tales were all short stories. They were quick, easy reads and quite a lot of fun. The stereotype I'd accumulated about the Holmes stories was that Holmes draws his conclusions from something the reader couldn't possibly have known, but I didn't find that to be the case here -- instead, it felt more like the TV show House (which I know has roots here) where the informat ...more
Caleb Walsh
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Eight Sherlock Holmes mysteries were in this book. The Solitary Cyclist (which was slightly underdeveloped), Charles Augustus Milverton (very good), Black Peter (interesting and suspenseful), The Golden Pince-Nez (short but well-resolved), The Priory School (kinda boring), The Beryl Coronet (fun, but not the best), The Engineer's Thumb (brilliant), and The Red-Headed League (funny and well-written).

This was my very introduction to the Sherlock Holmes books, and I really enjoyed it. Arthur Conan
Lynne
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read by candle-light during major power cut on Wednesday, and very enjoyable it was too. Some of the stories were very familiar but others, such as 'Charles Augustus Milverton' (aka Charles Augustus Magnusson on tv) less so. Reminded in this edition being a Puffin, first read Holmes as a ten-year-old as the collections were in the children's section of the my aunt's library. What are the odds of that occuring today? Great stuff.
Ryoichi
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book I feel shows the great mind of Sherlock Holmes. He solves a great number of cases out minding the greatest criminals. You have to give credit to the author for coming up with these crimes and mysteries because it is extremely hard to solve them. This is a great book and just like I will say for the other one I recommend it to anyone.
Kai Suherwan
I think this book is really good. Being a big fan of the Sherlock TV series, I decided to read this book. I found it nice how my favourite characters in the Tv series were very similar to the characters in the book. I recomend this book to people who like mysteries and the Sherlock TV series.
Yosef Shapiro
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have read all of the Sherlock Holmes short stories many times . I found this collection of short stories and it had a different name for the collection. But, I read the stories again and still enjoyed them very much.
junajuna
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brb just heading out to staple all the Sherlock Holmes short stories to the ceilings of every creative writing classroom
Tom
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Formulaic. And as innovative as the formula once was, I found it tedious because the characterisations are all paper thin.
France
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It made me want to read more.
Sherlock's wit never ceases to amaze.
"The Adventures" versus "The Great Adventures"? 1 2 Nov 05, 2010 07:20PM

• Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Honour Among Punks: The Complete Baker Street Collection
  • El Conde de Montecristo. Los Tres Mosqueteros
  • Little Women
  • The Diamond Princess and the Magic Ball (The Jewel Kingdom, #8)
  • Crown and Jewel
  • Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner
  • Cat in the Crypt (Animal Ark Hauntings #2)
  • Performance in a Leading Role (Performance in a Leading Role, #1)
  • The Progress of Sherlock Holmes
  • Secrets of the Scepter (Unicorns of Balinor, #6)
  • The Mystery of Drear House (Dies Drear Chronicles, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Zombies (Victorian Undead, #1)
  • A Treasury of Victorian Murder
  • Conspiracy (Lady Grace Mysteries, #3)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
“Oh! A mystery is it?' I cried, rubbing my hands. 'This is very piquant. I am much obliged to you for bringing us together. "The proper study of mankind is man" you know” 4 likes
“I am sure that it is the truth.” 3 likes