Start by marking “Gesundheit!: Bringing Good Health to You, the Medical System, and Society through Physician Service, Complementary Therapies, Humor, and Joy” as Want to Read:

The inspiring and hilarious story of Patch Adams's quest to bring free health care to the world and to transform the way doctors practice medicine

• Tells the story of Patch Adam's lifetime quest to transform the health care system

• Released as a film from Universal Pictures, starring Robin Williams

Meet Patch Adams, M.D., a social revolutionary who has devoted his
Published October 1st 1998 by Healing Arts Press (first published September 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Gesundheit!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gesundheit!

Start your review of Gesundheit!: Bringing Good Health to You, the Medical System, and Society through Physician Service, Complementary Therapies, Humor, and Joy
Jeptha Davenport
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is my guide to living the life of a loving doctor! I am helping Patch build the Patch Adams Teaching Centre and Clinic in 2008 -- you can help, too!
Jacob Greenmyer
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Fiana
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked his idealism in the book and several of his ideas about totally not just reforming, but changing, the healthcare system. I have to say though, even being an idealist myself, I found myself questioning his vision's practicality in the real world, particularly not charging for medical care but not giving much of any idea how to actually fund it then, except hoping random people will keep contributing.

I was glad to get insight into this real man and what he actually carried out, beyond
John
Mar 04, 2009 added it
Patch Adams devotes himself to something much bigger than just being a clown doctor. He's aiming at social transformation: I think I remember somewhere in the book his stated goal of world peace. That's why he's silly and loving all the time in all places, not just with his patients.

But he is a clown doctor, too, and has a principled practice. He
-- insists on house calls
-- refuses to accept third party reimbursement
-- refuses to purchase malpractice insurance
-- refuses to charge any patient any
Jacinda
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biographical, movie, 2016
I picked this book as a part of my endeavor to read more books that movies are based on. It was quite interesting reading this after very recently just having read a book from a NHS GP, which praised universal healthcare, only to then go to Patch Adams condemning it. As an Australian I have always struggled to understand America's resistance to what is fundamentally an awesome system. However Adams made his opinion of the way the American health system is being run very clear, far too many ...more
Kate Savage
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Is there something wrong with me if I can't bring myself to trust Patch Adams? All those beautiful ideas, and here I am with my arms folded and looking half away.

This book is a useful reminder to live with humor; a useful reminder that every dying person is actually a living person. But beyond this utility, Patch feels a little too bright for me. No shadows, no worries, no existential despair in the face of death. Humility, yes, but no self-doubt.

The book is a critique of not only modern
Kate
I love Patch Adams. The real Patch Adams, who is 'way more interesting than the pale version played by Robin Williams in the movie. This book is about the real Patch Adams. I'd give it more stars, but it isn't exactly the best organized book around. It's more a compendium of ideas and experiences he's had in his life. I'd love it if a really good writer would do a definitive biography of him, and a very, very clear explication of his thought that really nailed who he is and what Gesundheit is ...more
Feliz Jameela
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
living self sufficiently and living in laughter...my ultimate dream....someday..someday..
Tamara! aka AmyG.Dala
I wish I could give it 3.5 stars, but only 3 seems harsh for my opinion on this book. I really like that he added a bibliography in the back of his own library. Interesting and impressive blend of materials. While I do wish his approach was viable, I find it a bit too idealistic, as there has to be a way to fund such an endeavor, and also, prepare for the inevitable onslaught of malpractice suits that would surely ensue. Lets face it, lawyers and people want perfect results along with lots of ...more
Bethany
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dream. Dream wild. Extremely wild dreams. Somewhere back there is a wild seed waiting. Of that, I am sure. Go and take a look. Take another look and bring your keenest sense. Sniff what you see. Hear what you feel. Grab a rake and a pail of water and ponder some. Pick up that wild seed and find a very very convenient place to plant it, for throughout your days here you will need to keep it much closer than you are used to. Do not worry about what it will become or how you will coax it there. ...more
Lynn Coullard
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read; Patch Adams has some great ideas about caring for people.
Elaine Reinhard
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done, and well written. Wonderful concept,pray it comes true.
George
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a book, what a character. Adams is highly unconventional and radical even within an alternative context; I found this inspiring and yet Adams shows a strong understanding of the dynamics of communal living. His book is a prescription for communal working toward radical social change (or 'RSC'?!), with a sustainable but very high level of commitment. Add to that selflessness, courage, care and sustained project energy.

Adams understands collective working dynamics, but he is at the high
Shirley A.
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Shirley A. by: Purchased after seeing the movie
There are many different types of medicine practiced in many different ways. Patch Adams catches your attention in his special way. A must read for anyone, as we all have either met medical problems &/or death or certainly will one day. I wish I had either seen the movie or read the book in my younger years. I am reading it for the second time & have also seen the movie.

Mine is a hardcover

Yes, the movie deviates like many and the book is the truth, of course. Both are outstanding.
Lesli
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, r-2013
Not at all what I was expecting. This is a collection of essays that covers the philosophy that Patch Adams brings to his medical practice. Entertaining; but I can't help but think that most of his ideas are hippie-dippy rainbows and unicorns. With the litigious nature of your average American, the HIPPA rules set out by the American government, and now Obamacare, I'm not sure how the Gesundheit Institute can hold onto its ideals and still practice medicine in America in 2013.
Amy Kauderer
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed the first few chapters which discussed the state of medicine and humor in medicine. I am a physical therapist with my own outpatient office and I use humor constantly. The later chapters where he was discussing his dream were not as clear. I wish him luck in his endeavors and wonder what he thinks of the ACA and how it might change his practice.
Marianne
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was written in the 1990's and, I am sad to say, most of the problems with US healthcare are still the same. Dr. Adams couldn't be more right! What is wrong, that so many people have trouble seeing the problems in the medical industry. Carry on, Dr. Adams!! Everyone else, read this book to create your plan for healthy living!
Gudjon Bergmann
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've seen the movie, I've read the book, and every time I think of Dr.Adams or speak of him to my friends and students, it's an inspiration.

I promise you. This laughing doctor is no joke. We need more people like him in this world.

So, read the book, watch the movie... and hopefully it will inspire you to take action!
Anat Levi
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Although I thought the book was a bit to general sometimes repetitive and sometimes tedious (I would have preferred more detailed everyday stories about Patch and his group's work)I still gave it 5* since Patch Adams is a special man doing a special thing and is an inspiration to us all.
Kailyn
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and it's been very useful in many different ways for me. I saw the movie, Patch Adams, before reading the book and saw that it came from this book. It had me hooked from the first couple of chapters and I've learned (and laughed) a lot from reading this book.
salman faridi
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing

HILARIOUS!!! coming soon from bentang pustaka
Anthony Murphy
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Pretty good book. Some parts rambled on, but there were plenty of little nuggets of truth. Worth a read!
Christina Maya
Jun 22, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dunno
Shelves: wanttoread
really coincidence search wheter the book is really exist or not, but i FIND IT!!!
okay, if it's really about Dr. Patch Adams, i want to read it (even it Francaise version).
Taylor
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I watched the movie and it made me cry I highly recomend bolth book and the movie even though there old but still touching!
Fox
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
the movie was just terrific, although not accurate, 2 say the least but still, a great film!
u can c the movie 1st, just makes it easier 2get into the books...
Wulan Ayudyasari
I'm amazed by this person. An inspiring doctor who used many aspects besides medicine to make his patients get better. But I got stuck in the middle.. maybe I should skip some parts to finish it.
Ann Lormand
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
All medical personnel should read and try to live this book. Our health care system would so much better with a few clown noses in the mix!
S Noor
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
definitely enjoying my read
Chriss
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Patch. He's my buddy and he lives this book... now if only every medical person read this...
Lauren
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love his philosophy on medicine, healing and people. I want to know more docs like him...I might go to them.

• Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life
  • Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
  • Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs
  • Nothing Is Impossible
  • Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent Children
  • Here If You Need Me
  • Extinction Crisis
  • The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South
  • You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know
  • Beer Makes Daddy Strong
  • Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Famous People Who Returned Our Calls: Celebrity Highlights from the Oddly Informative News Quiz
  • Glitter and Glue
  • Carry On, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Augmented
  • Awakenings
  • The Ghost from the Sea (Haunting Danielle #8)
  • The Enemy of the People: A Dangerous Time to Tell the Truth in America
Hunter Doherty "Patch" Adams (born May 28, 1945) is an American physician, comedian, social activist, clown, and author.

“Death is not the enemy sir, Indifference is!
You treat a disease, you win, you lose.
You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win, no matter what the outcome. Is this interesting?”
22 likes