Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)

Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin #3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  8,212 Ratings  ·  590 Reviews
Never say die. That's the philosophy Agatha Raisin clings to when she comes home to cozy Carsely and finds a new woman ensconced in the affections of her attractive bachelor neighbor, James Lacey. The beautiful newcomer, Mary Fortune, is superior in every way, especially when it comes to gardening. And Agatha, that rose with many thorns, hasn't a green thumb to her name. W ...more
Published July 15th 1994 by Minotaur Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener, please sign up.
Cat Juggler Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death was a fun book.

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death was a fun book.

I believe you'll soon be turning to Agatha in Carsely any time you want to take a break (from other activities and other books!) and have a comfortable and cozy read.

Lt. Cy Dekker (Murder at the High School Reunion) first recommended Agatha to me. Before I could even get to it, my sister recommended Agatha Raisin to me!

By all means, take our advice and get started.(less)

Fiona MacDonald
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
It's always comforting to see Agatha again and the village of Carsley, almost like coming home. This time Agatha is searching for the murder of a beautiful yet surprisingly unpopular newcomer to the village who has been found quite literally 'planted' to death. I love all the characters, and even the cats are a constant highlight.
The Flooze
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have one major issue when it comes to the cozy mystery: just a blink of the eye and I suddenly realise I've spent the better part of an evening completely engrossed in mischief and murder.

It's been awhile since I last visited Agatha, yet I found it easy to get sucked back into her not-so-quiet world. She's a strange little woman, one I'd dearly like to shake into feeling more self-assured. If only she could picture herself as others do...but I suppose that's true of all of us and it probably
Blaine DeSantis
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to be surprised with Agatha Raisin! The books give you such a different feeling then the TV show. Loved this book and new character Mary Fortune who ends up not being so "fortunate" Perfect foil for Agatha and all of Carsley. So much background in this book, and we find out that Agatha seems to still have a love/hate relationship with Carsley. On the one hand she goes on long Holiday, but then dives back into town life. Gets jealous of Mary who has attached herself to Agatha's neighbo ...more
Kavita
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, uk
I really enjoyed reading this book and want to give a high rating and an excellent review, but I cannot. This is the third book in the series and the first I have read. A new woman comes to Agatha's village and gets murdered. As Agatha peels off the layers of truth, she discovers that the murdered woman, Mary, was not as nice as originally everyone thought. The problem lies in the climax - or lack of one. It is as if the author suddenly picked one of the villagers and labelled them as the murder ...more
Book Concierge
Digital audiobook narrated by Penelope Keith

Third in the series starring 50-something Agatha Raisin, former PR executive who is trying to make a life in the village of Carsley, in the English Cottswolds. As the novel opens, she has just returned from a long holiday, and is determined to win the affections of her neighbor James Lacey. But in her absence, he has developed a relationship with newcomer and avid gardener Mary Fortune. So Agatha determines to become an expert horticulturalist … or at
Julie Davis
This was interesting for the deeper glimpses of James Lacey's and a few villagers' characters. Also, of course, there is Agatha Raisin who we see growing as a person. Last, but not least, is the solution to the murder. This is definitely a "cozy" mystery series but Agatha's prickly, honest character makes it more interesting than most. I've been listening to the audiobooks, most of which have been read by Penelope Keith who does a great job.
Jonathan
Excellent, Agatha Raisin is a wonderful protagonist.
Libros Prestados
Un entretenido divertimento por si se tiene mono de un misterio detectivesco a lo Agatha Christie o se quiere una lectura ligera para pasar el rato.

No inventa la rueda, pero tampoco lo pretende. Nos habla de una detective aficionada resolviendo un caso en un pueblo pequeño, rodeada de sus peculiares vecinos. Es lo más parecido a leer una historia de Miss Marple si Miss Marple fuera una cincuentona en el mundo moderno que me cayera bien. Porque la protagonista se hace simpática, y dado que todo e
Andrea
Agatha Raisin is back again and her attitude is once again causing her no end of problem! Being competitive makes for a hard time on our Aggie, and it doesn't help that James Lacey ( her eligible neighbor and sometimes partner in sleuthing) has an eye on another new lady in the village while she's been away. Will Agatha ever settle down and keep her knickers from getting in a twist? Once again there is murder, mayhem and mischief in the village of Carsely in the Cotswolds to be enjoyed by reade ...more
Alice
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Pas de Pot pour la Jardinière ?
"J'avais hâte de retrouver Agatha Raisin et j'ai profité des Quais du Polar pour acquérir ce troisième tome et le faire dédicacer par l'auteur ! Un super moment !"

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...

"Après de longues vacances d'hiver, Agatha regagne son village des Cotswolds pour se rendre compte qu'une nouvelle habitante a fait irruption et ravi le coeur des habitants, notamment de son voisin !"
Teri-K
I don't like Agatha Raisin. I didn't like her when I read a couple of the books, in fact I disliked her a lot, so I stopped reading them. But when I heard that Penelope Leach narrated the audiobooks I decided to give one a try because I love her in Good Neighbors and To the Manor Born, and I thought I'd really enjoy listening to her read a book. And I did - I thought she was wonderful. Unfortunately, I still really dislike the MC and most of the other characters in this book.

Agatha Raisin is sel
Fran
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giallo-thriller, uk
Agatha e il suo angolo di campagna inglese sono una gradevole lettura da ombrellone.

La trama da giallo è esile, è più che altro la scusa per raccontare la vita del villaggio scelto dalla protagonista per "godersi" la pensione, non bisogna aspettarsi misteri su cui scervellarsi.
Céline - Tasse de culture
L'intrigue est longue à démarrer puisqu'on ne se retrouve avec un cadavre qu'à 41% du livre et je l'ai trouvé peu intéressante. Heureusement, les personnages sauvent la mise et Agatha est toujours aussi hilarante !
Heidi Burkhart
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, and can't resist audiobooking it again! So entertaining, and there is nobody quite like Agatha.
Clarabel
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Je m'amuse toujours autant à suivre cette série et son héroïne pleine de mauvaise foi dès qu'elle cherche à atteindre son but - rien ne l'arrête ! Agatha, ne change rien.
Et je suis complètement fan !! ♥

Emma
J'ai trouvé ce troisième volume très très lent à démarrer, d'autant que tant que le meurtre n'avait pas eu lieu, l'intrigue tournait exclusivement autour des amours d'Agatha, c'est-à-dire de James qui n'est vraiment pas un personnage que j'affectionne.

Une fois l'enquête démarrée, j'ai retrouvé avec plaisir l'ambiance des deux premières aventures d'Agatha Raisin et la deuxième moitié de ce troisième opus m'a paru enlevée et agréable.
Darlene
In the third installment of the Agatha Raisin series, Agatha has just returned from a lengthy holiday. At the end of the previous book, Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet, Agatha had given a rude gesture to her neighbour, James Lacey, after imbibing a little too much. The next morning, Agatha felt rather ashamed of her behaviour and wanted to escape the embarrassment she felt whenever she thought of what she had done. Upon her return, Agatha learns that a ravishing divorcee, Mary Fortune, has mov ...more
Melissapalmer404
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #9 Read in 2013
Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener

This is the third book in a cozy mystery series. Agatha Raisin, a pretty cranky older woman, has moved from London to a small town. There, she ends up becoming a sort of amateur detective and solves murders as they happen. In this book, another newbie to the small town, Mary, is murdered. While Agatha had no love lost for the victim, she attempts to solve the case.

There are times when Agatha is a pretty hard character to like. But for the
Gerry
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who would want to move to Carsley? Mary Fortune did so, showed her skill as a gardener, much to Agatha's disgust, and then found herself murdered.

'That friend of yours, Bill Wong, took me aside and told me to make sure you did not interfere in the investigation.' So Agatha's friend James Lacey told her but this did not bother the intrepid amateur sleuth. She did her usual and followed every clue to eventually unmask the killer, trying to keep her love life on track along the way!

Another enjoyabl
Cyndi
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
S. S. Van Dine said, "There simply must be a corpse in a detective novel, and the deader the corpse the better." In this book, not only is the corpse dead, but creatively. Don't think I've ever read one disposed of quite like this. Wonderful book by the great M. C. Beaton, which is just one of the pseudonyms used by Marion Chesney. Love her!!
Tien
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked being surprised (in a good way).

For the first 1/3 of the book, I really thought I've made a BIG mistake in picking up this book because Agatha Raisin just did not sound lovable - just a grouchy bitch... However, I'm glad I stuck it out a bit longer because she really is a diamond in the rough.

A nice cozy mystery to break up the day :)
Deanne
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
The more of the series I read the more I like Agatha, she's blunt and doesn't always think things through but she is entertaining.
Karen
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, crime
Nice combination of societies full of mildly potty types (pun intended) and a nicely dotty murder, once again we have Agatha off on the trail of a killer, getting herself threatened and nearly bumped off along the way, moping about after James, having fun with friend Bill Wong, and generally indulging in a spot of silliness in the Cotswolds. If you've not read any of these books but are coming to them on the strength of the TV series then you are going to be confused. The book version of Agatha ...more
Damana Madden
Book 45 of 2017 is Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener which is book 3 of the Agatha Raisin Mysteries by M.C. Beaton.

Book 3 in the series continues in the same sleepy village with the same neighbours and dramas that Agatha has become part of.

This mystery wasn't too hard to solve but the character growth is fun to read.

So as not to ruin this or any prior books in the series, I won't say too much more.

4 murdered gardens out of 5.

Should I read this? Again, if you like a Ms Marple style murder mys
Linda Smatzny
Agatha Raisin has returned from her extended trip to her home in Carsley to find the village has a new resident who seems to be the favorite of everyone. At first, Agatha dislikes the woman but becomes her friend even though the woman can make rude comments. When Mary Fortune is killed, Agatha goes into questioning mode but doesn't get much response. Also Agatha has agreed to return to London for six months for work in PR. The book was a quick easy read.
Yasmin
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun Raisin read!
The only let down was the ending- very abrupt, as if the author just wanted to finish the book quickly.
But the fun is in the character of Agatha, the scrapes she gets herself into, and the cosy feeling of the series.
Will be reading them all through autumn, and would recommend to all as fun, light and cosy reads.
Tracy Donley
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the coziest on any cozy mystery shelf. I consistently love the characters in this series, and, of course, the setting in the Cotswolds. M. C. Beaton never disappoints.
Tracy Smyth
3 1/2 stars easy listen (audio book). Village life in England is not a bed of roses. Evil does exist
Sidonie
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'est toujours un plaisir de retrouver Agatha et son village. Un livre qui se lit (trop) rapidement, et l'enquête m'a semblée trop courte cette fois-ci. Je lirai sans aucun doutes les suivants, car c'est toujours une pause réussie et assurée.
Samantha
Brief summary from Goodreads:

"Never say die. That's the philosophy Agatha Raisin clings to when she comes home to cozy Carsely and finds a new woman ensconced in the affections of her attractive bachelor neighbor, James Lacey.

The beautiful newcomer, Mary Fortune, is superior in every way, especially when it comes to gardening. And Agatha, that rose with many thorns, hasn't a green thumb to her name. With garden Open Day approaching, she longs for a nice juicy murder to remind James of her genius
Play Book Tag: Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener / M.C. Beaton - 3*** 3 11 Aug 07, 2017 08:29PM
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • The Lamp of the Wicked (Merrily Watkins, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • The Descent
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
“Agatha had that old feeling of being on the outside of life looking in.” 1 likes
“You always run to answer the bell, Agatha, and when you see me, your face always falls in disappointment, as if you were expecting someone else.” 1 likes