Start by marking “The Gentle Art of Knitting: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty” as Want to Read:
The Gentle Art of Knitting: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty

The Gentle Art of Knitting: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty

There is a timeless beauty in the simple things of life. The Gentle Art of Knitting captures that everyday loveliness with 40 patterns for practical, easy-to-knit projects made with gorgeous fibers in colors that reflect nature's bounty. Notes and photographs document the sources of inspiration, from a flower to a favorite wine to a treasured book. Here is an unhurried cel ...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Collins Brown (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Gentle Art of Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentle Art of Knitting

Maryse
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I ordered this book on a whim and took it with me on vacation. And I did something I rarely do with a knitting book. I read it cover to cover. It's filled with the type of projects that I love. Simple, useful, inspired by color with a bit of whimsy. If I were to write a knitting book it would be like this one. Crochet included.
Mary
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: wish-list, knitting
I borrowed this one from the library, and ended up reading it cover to cover - very engaging writing and lovely timeless projects. Love the philosophy!

Definitely one I want for my own shelves!
Abbey
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Abbey by: unshelved.com bookclub
Shelves: knit-crochet
Despite my low rating, this is actually a rather nice book - well-produced, beautiful pictures, interesting write-ups. But there are several major difficulties.

Firstly, all the measurements and sizings, both human and needles, are British/metric, with absolutely no conversion charts that I could find anywhere in the book for USA needle sizings or metric-to-inches for the pattern sizes. That's simply thoughtless - many knitters in the USA admire and concur with the ethos expressed in this book (
Nicolette
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love the photography aesthetics of this book. I've read it from cover to cover multiple times. The author is engaging and frankly, I like her books. The projects range from beginner to advanced and while I would probably never make a teapot cozy, most of the projects in this book are lovely, functional and doable.

The only negative I have is the acrylic yarn dislike that the author seems to have. I know these books are usually targeted to a certain "group" of women, but I will not be making a
Alisa
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book centers on the idea of creating simple, beautiful pieces that provide a sense of peace to those knitting and crocheting the various projects. I love that Jane Brocket includes crochet in a book dedicated primarily to knitting. For me, knowing both gives me a better sense of design construction while also giving me more options for projects for family and friends. Plus that reinforces my belief that all fiber-arts folks should just get along already, appreciating each others' work and s ...more
Jessica
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters
Shelves: crafts
A lovely collection of knitting patterns for advanced beginner knitters. Jane is chatty and includes an introduction to each pattern. She also includes Reading lists and Film lists to supplement your fiber experience. I think this is the only pattern book I've seen that also suggests wines to compliment your projects!

One quibble...the book is published in England with no conversions for American needle size or measurements.
Kathleen Dixon
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
I thought this was one of the books that I saw at Knit Rangers (knitting/crochet social group that meets fortnightly), but when I got it home from the library I'm pretty sure it wasn't the one that I looked at there. Never mind. Three of these projects are ones I'd like to do sometime, so it didn't matter!
Danette
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
I love anything by Jane Brocket! I bought this book and read it cover to cover. I love the pictures, the patterns and the prose. Just thumbing through it on a lazy Sunday afternoon is comforting. I am planning to knit a couple of the aprons found within its pages before too long.
Tilden
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lots of good patterns for various stuff: egg cozies, wooden hangers, tea cozies, water bottle covers, plus more standard items: blanket, scarves, cable socks, pillows. I might buy the book because her writing style is good and there are many patterns I would make out of this book.
Megan
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Lovely book with very nice practical patterns. I love the author's blog and enjoy seeing her projects and ideas.
Jana
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You do not have to knit to be inspired by this book!
Annette
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Love her style, creativity, ease, knitting domesticity!
Amanda
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the simple, practical ideas and patterns in this book. Jane has such a fun perspective to read. I've never wanted to knit a tea cozy before, but she almost has me convinced.
Mckinley
Sep 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not my style, colors etc. Variety of knitting projects.
Tisha
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
While there wasn't a lot in here that I'd actually consider knitting, it is a gorgeous book. The writing, photo styling and the photos are all wonderful and I enjoyed reading the book immensely.
Sara
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: at-library

I read this book once before but evidently did not remember it. Not a great sign! Tagged a few pillows and a rug, but not a stand out book for me.
Apr 12, 2013
Elcat
May 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
[From the author's website:]

My first book The Gentle Art of Domesticity was published by Hodder & Stoughton in October 2007. My second book Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer was published by Hodder & Stoughton in July 2008 and my third book with Hodder Ripping Things to Do was published in July 2009. September 2008 saw the publication in the USA of The Gentle Art of Domesticity by STC Crafts/Mel