Start by marking “Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger” as Want to Read:
Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger

Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger

EXPANDED THIRD EDITION includes Charlie's 2007 USC Law School Commencement address. Edited by Peter D. Kaufman. Brand New.
Hardcover, Expanded Second Edition, 512 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Donning Company Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

Ian Robertson
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Best known as Warren Buffett’s long-time and media-shy investment partner, and as the progenitor of pithy wisdom at Berkshire Hathaway’s AGMs, “Poor Charlie’s Almanack - The Collected Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger” is an entertaining, gorgeous and worthwhile coffee table book for finance philosophers and biography aficionados alike. The title is drawn from Ben Franklin’s similarly titled Poor Richard’s Almanack, whom Mr. Munger references liberally.

The early pages cover Munger’s family his
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not gonna praise Munger's wisdom again. Other reviewers did the job very well. After having read both books, Poor Charlie's Almanack and Seeking Wisdom, I highly recommend starting with Seeking Wisdom. It's shorter without lacking depth nor scope, but gives a great 'introduction' into Munger's (and Buffet's) way of thinking. Straight to the point. After reading Seeking Wisdom you probably long for more Munger wisdom. Then go for Poor Charlie's Almanack. Enjoy reading, re-reading ... and soak ...more
Max Nova
Poor Charlie got on my list because Drew Houston of Dropbox said it was one of the best books he had ever read. After blasting through it…. I can understand why he said so, but I’m not sure I agree with him.

This is a book that talks a lot about how great and wise Charlie Munger is, but comes up a bit short in the actual wisdom-dispensing department. The one-liner for this book is basically “Be wise, don’t fool yourself, and make the right decisions.” Thanks Charlie. I’ll get right on that.

There
Jonna Gjevre
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Munger's book is called an almanack for a reason, since it's not really an autobiography of the legendary investor, not really an investment guide, not really anything easy to categorize. I would call it a portrait of a remarkable mind.

As Munger sees it, we could do worse than to emulate Albert Einstein, who once said his successful theories came from "curiosity, concentration, perseverance, and self-criticism." Consequently, many of the stories in Poor Charlie's Amanack focus on the cultivation
Dmitry Loktev
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Одна из лучших книг по содержанию ценности из тех, которые я читал. Ценности так много, что бесполезно запоминать всё – не запомнишь, и уж тем более не сделаешь частью своей операционной модели в два счёта. Нужно читать и перечитывать. Кстати, не нашёл на русском языке отзывов об этой книге. Я первый (дайте медаль)!

Книга – набор мудрости о жизни от умного, малоизвестного и очень богатого человека – Чарли Мангера. Он второй из двух партнёров компании Berkshire Hathaway, холдинговой компании, упра
Eugene
Jessel Badal
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things that stood out to me from Charlie Munger:

"Spend each day trying to be a little wiser than you were when you woke up. Discharge your duties faithfully and well. Step by step you get ahead, but not necessarily in fast spurts. But you build discipline by preparing for fast spurts. Slug it out one inch at a time, day by day. At the end of the day - if you live long enough - most people get what they deserve."

"In my whole life, I have known no wise people who didn't read all the time -- none,
Simon Eskildsen
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
This is likely the most important book I've read to date. Ultimately, this is a book about how one of the most successful investors in history has structured his way of thinking. His approach of adopting the best mental models from all disciplines applies to anyone.

Charlie is simply brilliant, and this book is a fantastic summary of his views. What he preaches is to understand the big ideas in all the big disciplines, instead of becoming yet another "man with a hammer". The book is filled with r
Mari
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Mari by: Farnam Street
Shelves: business
I had no idea how much I would love this book. It's a monster - huge, unwieldily to hold and read, but a truly valuable and insightful book.

This is not a book about finance, or how to beat the market -- nothing so narrow in scope. It is a book about how to think. How to analyze any situation. How to make wise decisions. In particular, he teaches how to build a flexibility of the mind by developing mental models through which to filter information we take in.

We tend, as human beings, to be rathe
Jason
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This could have been pompous, self-congratulating and littered with saccharin hero-worship in the vein of a 'Big' Lebowski, but in the spirit of the man himself (the eponymous Charlie) was a chocolate bar wrapped in a golden ticket to the inner workings and concerns of a very accomplished, (very) intelligent & (very) humble man. Every page a treat with an avuncular and wise friend. Much the modern Ben Franklin.
Ilya Mrz
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
AMAZING. If you're human and you doing something on this planet or even on the other.. Read it.

Thanks. That's it.
Jose
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An impressive tome from the relatively obscure Charlie Munger, Managing Partner at Berkshire Hathaway--Warren Buffett's company.

Charlie is a polymath. And he fashions himself a modern day Benjamin Franklin, hence the title of the book. A reference to Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac.

Munger, like Franklin before him, has varied interests and is insanely curious. He uses that curiosity to be a deep generalist in business. He finds that in order to be effective in life we must embrace learning fr
Sagar Acharya
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Wisdom seekers
Munger is a wisdom god. This book just replaced "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" as the best book I've ever read.

Charlie's life has been described in the prior part of the book with various stories from him about his childhood, his marriage, his lost son to leukemia and many more. Following these, are the speeches delivered by Munger through the years of which the last one is just too good, on psychological tendencies (and mistendencies).

Colorful Charlie as Warren describes him speaks his mind and
Vitalijus Sostak
Five stars, no doubt.
It's extremely rare (and generous!) to read a book written by successful businessman with his life&business decision-making framework openly laid out before reader's eyes. Even rarer still is to see that author is also a pure intellectual, striving for science-like clarity and validity of his ideas.

Nevertheless, the book has two flaws that distract from overall superb impression and could be remedied with simple editing:
- a lot of praise and self-praise given to author.
Steven
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I rate every book 5 stars these days, but there are just so many great books. Maybe I'm just getting lucky at picking books or maybe I'm easy to please when it comes to books.

I will say this book is now added to my favorite list. It is filled with grandfatherly common-sense wisdom. Some of it on business and investing, but most of it is applicable to any aspect of life. He talks at length about psychology and how important it is and how it can be improved, along with lots of other b
Albert
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read and must study book. A bible for deep analysis and wisdom of one who proved his superior intelligence in real world business investments and helped build one of the most profitable businesses in the world. But it is not just relevant for business objectives but for philosophical thinking and the deep understanding of things. So for all who love mental models, frameworks and behavioral phenomenons in general.
Seth
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely worth a flip through, but mostly just to read a few of Charlie's talks and his 40 page bit at the end on his psychological models. He's a wise, straightforward man, but not that good of a writer. To take his thinking to the next level, I recommend Thinking, Fast and Slow. I wonder if he's read it.
Constantin Minov
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A life lesson I've learned: Have a sense of humor. Restrict yourself to your own garden, live in the present moment, lower your expectations, surround yourself with the love of friends and family and you will be happy.
An outstanding book! It will help you develop a multidisciplinary mental model approach needed to solve problems using different perspectives from different disciplines. The best part was the introduction into 25 biases with a detailed description of some antidotes to errors of m
Nicholas Piva
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Charlie Munger is a world-renowned business magnate, along with his more prolific partner, Warren Buffet. There is no doubt you have heard of Berkshire Hathaway, one of the biggest hedge funds in the world. Well, Charlie is a partner in running the fund; Charlie and Warren's unparalleled business savvy and atypical investing style has been the sole reason for its success.

Before meeting Charlie, Buffet practiced the investment strategy of Ben Graham, or the 'Father of Value Investing'. Charlie c
David
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris, Stephen, Jeff
This is a compilation of Munger's addresses, comments at investors' meetings, and personal comments from friends, business associates, and his family, interlarded with quotations Charlie used from ancients and moderns extracted from over two thousand years of wisdom and errors. Munger admires most highly Ben Franklin - an ideal to Munger.

The format and size make this book very unusual - very heavy to read, requiring a table or pillow on which to rest this tome. The design is good, with lots of i
Amir
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Munger is Warren Buffett decade’s long business partner, and his investment filter, jokingly called by Mr. Buffett - the abominable no man. The book is a collection of Mr. Munger’s lectures and some tidbits about him. This is not an investment book per se; however, it is a book about wisdom and human follies, and it provides great insights into the thoughts of one of the greatest investors, Warren Buffett’s partner Charles Munger.
I have found Chapter (or Lecture) Ten regarding the psych
Tey Shi
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would highly recommend this reading for anyone who wants to get the most out of life, as well as gain a perspective on how his investment philosophy. Munger shares with us his wisdom and expound them with great examples. The first part consists of Munger's life stories, as well as what close friends and family say about Munger. The second part consists of mainly the speeches that Munger has made, which I think can be easily found elsewhere online. So for those who can't manage to get the book ...more
Huy
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel smarter reading this book. Charlie Munger, Warren Buffet’s partner and a self-made billionaire, is considerably one of the smartest man still alive. In this book, Charlie shares his worldly wisdom and describes his multidisciplinary system of combining the fundamentality of every discipline – economics, psychology, mathematics, physics, biology, evolution, etc to apply to any specific field, not limited to economics & investment.
So much wisdom condensed in a book.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book just catapulted Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist from its ~12 year hold on the status of My Favorite Book. It blends economics with psychology, which I absolutely love. Charlie Munger is a legend and I'm so grateful that I learned of this book (only available via hardcover), as it compiles all of his greatest contributions.
Vicente
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opening this huge book is like opening a treasure map giving you instructions on how to attain that treasure--whether it's financial or intellectual. You'll find some of the "mental models" he used to stay in the top 5% of his age cohort. If I will be asked what book should one read if they want instant enlightenment, this is the one.
Hbombme
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Some speeches are a tad tedious, but don't detract from the overall read. Made me reflect more on unhealthy bias (often subconscious) in investing and academia. Inspired me to buy a lot of other books referenced throughout!
Douglas
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies, business
Charlie Munger is Warren Buffets partner at Berkshire Hathaway. Extremely smart guy. I was very curious to read what he had to say.

This book is so friggin big. Its like the size of a photoalbum!
Joycec
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. it's a collection of talks and essays.
Andrew
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Self-made billionaire, widely considered one of the smartest men alive. Read his book and think better.
Tanner
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie Munger is a wise man. Highly recommend.
  • Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger
  • Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger
  • Berkshire Hathaway Letters to Shareholders
  • Quality of Earnings
  • More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Theory of Investment Value
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • The Warren Buffett Portfolio: Mastering the Power of the Focus Investment Strategy
  • The Outsiders: Eight Unconventional CEOs and Their Radically Rational Blueprint for Success
  • The Little Book That Beats the Market
  • The Education of a Value Investor: My Transformative Quest for Wealth, Wisdom, and Enlightenment
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
Charles Thomas Munger is an American business magnate, lawyer, investor, and philanthropist. He is Vice-Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Corporation, the diversified investment corporation chaired by Warren Buffett; in this capacity, Buffett describes Charlie Munger as "my partner." Munger served as chairman of Wesco Financial Corporation from 1984 through 2011 (Wesco was approximately 80%-owned by ...more
“In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn't read all the time -- none, zero. You'd be amazed at how much Warren reads--and at how much I read. My children laugh at me. They think I'm a book with a couple of legs sticking out.” 191 likes
“Spend each day trying to be a little wiser than you were when you woke up. Day by day, and at the end of the day-if you live long enough-like most people, you will get out of life what you deserve.” 66 likes