Start by marking “Gently in the Sun” as Want to Read:
Gently in the Sun

Gently in the Sun (Chief Superintendent Gently #6)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Another superb inspector George Gently case file, now a hit BBC TV series starring Martin Shaw. (fic)
Published April 1st 2011 by Robinson Publishing (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Gently in the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gently in the Sun

Paul
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Coming back to the George Gently series after a couple of weeks’ break, I was comfortably happy to find myself back in his fictionalised England of the 1950s.

As the title indicates, a heatwave has hit CI Gently’s stomping grounds. It’s a real scorcher, too; his colleagues back in London are amusing themselves frying eggs and bacon on the paving slabs outside the station (presumably they have nothing better to do). If that’s not enough to prove to you how hot it is, Gently himself, usually a pret
David Highton
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The sixth in the series featuring Inspector George Gently, sent from London as a homicide detective into Northshire (a fictional Norfolk). Although this edition of the book quotes the TV series based on the Gently character, in my view there is very little resemblance. This was first published in 1959 and is a little dated but is still a good murder mystery with a climactic ending.
Mumbler
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: east-anglia
I'm a big fan of this series. I certainly don't think that they're flawless, and I can easily see how it can all fall flat for a reader, as Pauline Ross describes well in her review. For me, it all comes together enough that the unrealistic qualities are fine.

As others have said, I recommend these if you like Maigret, and/or if you like a strong sense of place. If you're looking for a whodunit, these books are not like that at all.

These books are all about the sense of place, and that's about
Linda Brue
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The small fishing village of Hiverton has no crime to speak of. So when a startlingly beautiful young woman, Rachel Campion, is found dead on the beach, it causes quite a stir. Besides the summer heat wave, Rachel had raised the temperature of every man in Hiverton. Everyone, both women and men, had noticed her on holiday at the beach hotel. When Gently joins the mass of gawkers on the beach, he too is caught up in the woman's beauty. In the simmering heat Gently goes searching for answers, but ...more
Jan
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another easy holiday read but no less enjoyable for that.

There are enough twists and turns in the story to keep your attention but none of those annoying plotlines that pop out of nowhere to solve the puzzle.

I like Gently's easy going but highly intuitive detecting style but also that he doent take himself too seriously.
Pauline Ross
This is the sixth in a very long series of murder mysteries featuring the middle aged Inspector George Gently, all written in the fifties and sixties. This one is back by the seaside, in a small and not very interesting village baking in a heatwave (cue lots of comments along the lines of 'what a scorcher' and frying eggs on the pavement). A beautiful young woman visitor is found murdered on the beach beside the fishing boats. The locals can make nothing of it, and Gently is summoned from Scotla ...more
Rich
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Dear oh dear. Although enjoyable, I still feel somewhat let down in the continued Gently series. This one I didn't find exciting until the last few chapters, which is a disappointment. I have to question if Alan Hunter was simply writing novels for the fun of it rather than to provide a thrilling story! Gently In The Sun is a classic detective got there too late. I don't have much to add in terms of a review as I feel this reflects better what I'm trying to say. Will I continue? Most likely. But ...more
John
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found the plot quite implausible and rather ridiculous. This close knit secretive brotherhood of fishermen stuff just doesn't ring true at all.

The story centred more on Gently's feelings towards the characters than the detection of the crime, I felt.

Not one of Hunter's better efforts.
Betsy
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I love the George Gently mysteries and television series. In this one, a heat wave figures prominently in a murder at a seaside town. Britain in the late 50s and early 60s provides the background for Gently' s investigations.
Wilde Sky
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
A beautiful girl is found dead in a small fishing village and so begins another case for Inspector Gently.

The story was engaging and well written. But the conclusion, the linking of two murders decades apart, felt false in that the first murder made sense, but not the second.
Arthur Mitchell
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Old fashioned, gentle, who done it. Having read a number of the original novels, I prefer the tv show.
Jack
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gently is called to a mediocre seaside town to investigate the death of an extremely attractive young woman visitor.
Sharon
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
another good solid 50/60 era crime novel
Carolyn Hammond
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Gently series is great reading. I did get lost on who was speaking a lot of times though. Dawes and Gently's non-verbal communication was interesting. Multi-faceted characters.
Andrea
Ultimately I was turned off by the detective's admiration for a man who strangled two women.
Joseph Gough
rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
121979
Alan Hunter was born at Hoveton, Norfolk and went to school across the River Bure in Wroxham. He left school at 14 and worked on his father's farm near Norwich. He enjoyed dinghy sailing on the Norfolk Broads, wrote natural history notes for the local newspaper, and wrote poetry, some of which was published while he was in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War.

He married, in 1944, Adelai
More about Alan Hunter...

Chief Superintendent Gently (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Gently Does It