Start by marking “Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)” as Want to Read:
Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)

Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance

(Great Lives From God's Word)

The trials of Job are legendary. One righteous man suffering so many calamities, so much heartache. But despite the fact that many have heard about Job and his trials, not many people truly understand what those trials were all about and what God was trying to accomplish through them. Job himself was confused about it all. "What did I do to deserve such suffering?" he crie ...more
Published March 31st 2004 by Thomas Nelson (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Job

Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. the message was timely for what I was going through. I skimmed some of the pages toward the end as it started feeling repetitive. Yet, Swindoll gives great insight.

Completed July 1 for my book a day in July challenge for myself.
Ron
May 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Swindoll is famous for the short, focused study books. This is not one of them.

In 2002 Chuck Swindoll preached for nine months on the book of Job. He parishioners probably felt like Job under the belaboring tongues of his erstwhile friends. This book is obviously a concatenation of those sermons. He rambles, repeats, gives the same scripture from several sources then paraphrases it himself, tell anecdotes, and shares anonymous Internet trivia. He should have been ashamed.

That said, there is some
Siska
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rohani
If I think that live is not fair... well I know a person who was feel the same way that I do... only he experience a lot much worst fate than I do. He was Job
there is many life questions that I don't understand... why I was suffered in my life, why many problem happen with Christian even though we lived according to God words...
why sometime God just shut the door and won't listen to my pray
I get a lot more understanding in how God authority in my life. How sometime problem was just a test for m
Marcia
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was always curious about the Book of Job - never really understood it, but this in depth look at Job’s story written with the beauty of poetry, and what we can learn from Job’s legendary experience in suffering - is revealing in what it says about the God he worshipped and what that might mean for us today. For those experiencing heartache and suffering, it takes on those tough questions of why and the importance of endurance.
Hannah Oliver
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books. Gave me a sense of wonder, and joy about the goodness of God. This book helped me to understand the story of Job, and understand the gospel more clearly. I absolutely love Job, and I love Charles Swindoll. This book is slow, but worth the read and time.
Rita Schunk
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are experiencing hard times (and who hasn't), this book will help you put things in perspective.
Mallory
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Recovering from major surgery, I figured this was a good time in my life to read this book. I learned so much from it; Job’s life encouraged me in my own struggles and trials and the example of his misguided friends helped me to be more empathetic towards others’ suffering. Swindoll takes the reader through the entire book of Job, chapter by chapter, emphasizing many portions of the text by using “The Message” version of the Bible. He peels back the complex layers of Job and allows us to see the ...more
Beth Peninger
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Chuck Swindoll is a great teacher of God's word. And for the Book of Job he pulls off what few pastors/teachers are able to - he makes the Book of Job come alive and he teaches it with depth and insight and not the usual themes that most churches use when it comes to Job. He exposes the true themes of Job and doesn't bend to the normal considerations. As I am studying the Book of Job in depth I appreciated Swindoll's discourse, I appreciated his insights and exposures of the book and how it appl ...more
Abraham
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
¿Quiéres entender y conocer mejor a Dios a través del sufrimiento, la prueba y las aflicciones? Debes leer este libro.

Existen muy pocos libros sobre Job, definitivamente recomiendo este.

Me gustan mucho los libros que salen motivados por experiencias personales. El autor cierra el libro expresando esto, que has tenido experiencias difíciles en la familia, y eso lo motivo a escribir este libro.

Yo creo que por eso, el libro es tan personal, profundo, práctico y equilibrado.

Aunque es un libro largo,
Phil Della
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book came along when I needed it. I had finished reading the book of Job for probably the 6th time over the last 20 years and I felt like I could use some help sorting it out in my head. Soon after thinking this I found Charles Swindoll's book in a thrift store for $1, so I snapped it up. I knew Swindoll well from his radio program Insight for Living, so I had a good idea of what to expect: thorough, sometimes painstaking, analysis of the Bible verse by verse. However, I knew also that ther ...more
Kristine
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio of this book.

I actually picked this up for a couple reasons. First - my Sunday School Class will be starting a series on Job in September and I wanted to be somewhat prepared to enter the discussion. And I think it gave me some insight to be able to to that.

Second - I am in the midst of some trials in my life at the moment and I thought it might be helpful in dealing with those. And it did give me some gems of wisdom.

It is however a long, meandering, repetitive book, and
Jason Henry
Whether it was learning of Satan's sinister, fault-finding personality or Job who walked with God all his life and yet still was tested on his faithfulness and integrity shows he still had much to learn about God or the God who knows everything perfectly from the beginning could let evil have its way because in the end He would settle all accounts in His way and in His time, this book was a real treat on the life and trials of Job. Through Job we learn about ourselves, the nature of people, Sata ...more
Calvin Sun
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book started out slower, was quite long, and ended with amazing grace. I can not recommend this book more highly as each of us will entertain sorrow and trials in our lives... over and over again. Instead of trying to find some theological treaties to sorrow and pain, Swindoll shows us the response of the man in question. How Job endured and responded are treasured lessons meant to learn in a life time.
B. Campbell
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book for a hard to understand book of the Bible. As you recall, the book of Job is filled with poetry and is sometimes hard to understand (at least for me). Charles Swindoll describes the life lessons from the book of Job and dissects all of the characters involved, e.g. Job, his counselors, etc. We all need the book of Job when life doesn't seem fair. Charles Swindoll's exposition helps us see more clearly the heroism of Job and the applications for modern day life.
Jeanine
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I gained much insight into Job as a Man of Heroic Endurance through the authors wisdom and knowledge of who God is and what we can learn from Job's struggle and pain. What has always touched my heart is that Job didn't give up on God! It is well worth reading through Job first and then the book by Swindoll. His entire series The Great Lives Series, which also cover David, Esther, Joseph, Moses, Elijah & Paul should be read.
Samantha
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure of the topic. You always hear how Job suffered. Swindoll takes the approach that Job endures. I loved the chapter on how to handle criticism with class. Just a different take on a great man of the Bible. It's long enough to cover the whole book of the Bible but short enough to keep your interest. I highly recommend this book and all the others in the Great Lives series.
Pam Hylbert-eder
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would read this book again. Probably an all time favorite. Possibly because it was what I needed at the right time in my personal journey. I agree with Randy's comments. A "desert book." loved this
When you think that your life can't get any worse, turn to this bible story. Oh to have the faith of Job. :)
Jeannette
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gained new insight into the life and trials of Job. Ordinarily, I enjoy Swindoll's listing of things of significance. However, this time it became rather tedious. Also, he could have totally left off the last two chapters and not harmed the message of the book. All in all, a thought provoking book and a good read for all of those who ask, "Why is God letting this happen to me?"
Randy Patterson
This is a book DEFINITELY on my "desert island" list. It is a must read for those who are going through, have been through, or about to go through a major trial in life. Do you get the impression that I LOVE this book?
Janet
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Always, always get something out of reading Swindoll's in depth books about a person in the bible. This was not one of my favorites of this series but I did gain alot of wisdom about the book of Job and the man of Job.
Tina
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great way to get your bible learning when the bible puts you to sleep. Job is difficult but so beneficial. Helped me when I got my terminal diagnosis.
Vicky Jeter
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Job is us and his story is our story. Life is often very disappointing and yet the message of Job is what matters when all is over in life. All that matters is our relationship with God.
David
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding,!

The author takes on a difficult study and, not only handles it well, he makes it easy and exciting to read. This whole series will definitely draw you closer to God.
harold westervelt
Great Book

I have read several books by Swindoll and this is another great one. His wall through the book of Job will make a real difference in my life.
Jay Risner
  • The Bible Answer Book
  • Being the Person God Made You to Be
  • Unto the Hills
  • The Name
  • Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament
  • The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups
  • Life Overflowing, 6-in-1: 6 Pillars for Abundant Living
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount: God's Character and the Believer's Conduct
  • The Seven Laws of the Learner: How to Teach Almost Anything to Practically Anyone
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more

Great Lives From God's Word (9 books)
  • David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • Fascinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering Some Old Testament Characters
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All
“We are fortified by exemplary lives, especially those who have earned the right to be respected by their character, sacrifice, patience, and ability to press on in spite of hardship, injustice, pain, and failure. Our heroes do not have to be perfect. They must, however be courageous, authentic, clear-minded, and determined to endure no matter the sacrifice or cost. We need heroes of integrity and consistency, admirable men and women we can admire, not because they exemplify a quick burst of bravery, but because they represent the stuff of greatness and stay at it to the end.” 2 likes
“Sound advice comes from veterans of pain.” 1 likes