Start by marking “Rifkind's Challenge” as Want to Read:
Rifkind's Challenge

Rifkind's Challenge

(Rifkind #3)

In a desert world ruled by men, Rifkind has always been one apart. A chieftain's daughter, she learned to wield a sword while all other women were bound by tribal custom to children and the cooking fire. But when her clan was massacred, she set forth on a quest for her destiny in savage lands ruled by magic and the sword.

For a while she had thought that she had found a
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rifkind's Challenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rifkind's Challenge

Start your review of Rifkind's Challenge
L.S. Fayne
I like women warrior books. In this one, Rifkind was a warrior, but when her destiny had been completed and she found she was with child, she adopted herself into a tribe and became their healer, blessed by the Goddess. This book takes off from when her son is becoming an adult and she feels the need to travel back to some of her history. She ends up taking her son and the tribes chief’s son who is lame and cannot become chief. They are not there by her choice.

There’s nothing on the cover to
Merrin
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Merrin by: ELAINE
Okay. Here's the thing. This book is the third in a series that I have not read the first two of. (It came recommended by a friend and she assured me you don't need to read the first two to understand the third.)

It's possible that's the case, I didn't have trouble being thrust into a world that I wasn't familiar with, because she introduces enough to you along the way. I think my largest problem was with the characters. Maybe you're a little more sympathetic to Rifkind if you've been on her
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I first read Lynn Abbey's Daughter of the Bright Moon not long after it was published. It took me a while to find The Black Flame. And it took decades to discover a copy of Rifkind's Challenge at Half Price Books.

I'm not sure what I like about Rifkind's world. It's not a kind world. I know that I had quite a crush on Ejord and Turin when I was younger. I like the hardness of Rifkind. She's not cruel but she can't afford to be kind either. She's more than a bit ruthless. Her fears aren't my
Mina Khan
Here's what I liked about the story:
1. Great cover!
2. Fantasy inspired by Native American societies...just don't see too many of those, so appreciated it.
3. Strong heroine who is used to leadership.
4. Interesting conflict: Not only is she dealing with a spiritual situation and dealing with a changed world (from what she knew), but also a difficult relationship with her only child.

What I didn't like so much:

1. The heroine comes across as distant and so the story kept me at a distance as well.
Caroline Berg
I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Usually third books that come long after the first two are not nearly as good. This one harkens back to Daughter of the Bright Moon. Rifkind must go back out of the desert - magic is not as dead as people thought it was. At the same time her son must find a place in the world (it isn't easy living in the shadow of Rifkind's personality). While I didn't enjoy the son a whole lot, I did enjoy how Rifkind has matured with age. And how ...more
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
c2006. I really enjoyed this book. Not too clunky, fast moving and not too much time spent on detailing the topography and culture of the world Rifkind inhabits. I enjoyed the interplay between Rifkind and her son especially with the misunderstandings on both side. I did get a bit confused as to some of the aspects of Rifkind's attitude towards Cho but that may be because this seems to be the second in a series. "Her own story was as obvious as it was simple: She was alive, she was in Glascardy, ...more
Meredith Galman
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very disappointing follow-up to one of the seminal woman warrior stories, Daughter of the Bright Moon. Starts out well, with Rifkind dealing with dreams drawing her back to Glascardy and the friends she left behind, as well as the near-grown son she turned over to others and doesn't really know. But neither the dramatic situation nor her relationship with Cho comes near being resolved; the whole thing is an obvious set-up for a sequel.
Dawn
Apr 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The back of the book says that this heroine is who Zena was based on and as you would expect she is quite a kick ass heroine. I found the rest of the characters lacking though and Rifkind was not an involving enough person to make up for that. All in all I didn't find the book good enough to try and find any more of the series.
Becca
Rifkind has settled down after roaming as a hired warrior. However, her past has come back into her life. The beginning is confusing because you aren't really given enough information about Rifkind's past to understand what is going on. Might be worth another try though.
Lynda
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending left me wanting Ms. Abbey to write another book for the series! :)
Jamie
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fantasy novel. Lynn Abbey has some strong characters and is always a pleasure to read.
gabrielle
This book ended rather suddenly, almost like Abbey got tired of writing.
Becky
Aug 20, 2007
Hannah Blakeman
Feb 28, 2015
Jess
rated it did not like it
May 19, 2011
Mar 03, 2017
Everly Reynolds
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Lynn Abbey began publishing in 1979 with the novel Daughter of the Bright Moon and the short story "The Face of Chaos," part of a Thieves World shared world anthology. She received early encouragement from Gordon R. Dickson.

In the 1980s she married Robert Asprin and became his co-editor on the Thieves World books. She also contributed to other shared world series during the 1980s, including Heroes

Rifkind (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Bright Moon (Rifkind, #1)
  • The Black Flame (Rifkind, #2)