Start by marking “Lifting a Ton of Feathers: A Woman's Guide to Surviving in the Academic World” as Want to Read:
Lifting a Ton of Feathers: A Woman's Guide to Surviving in the Academic World

Lifting a Ton of Feathers: A Woman's Guide to Surviving in the Academic World

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Lifting a Ton of Feathers is not only a survival guide, it is also a destroyer of academic myths about women's career chances in the university, and a revelation of the catch-22 positions in which women find themselves. Caplan demonstrates that while many women believe that when they fail it is their fault, their fate is more likely to be sealed by their encounter with the ...more
Published December 15th 1993 by University of Toronto Press (first published January 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lifting a Ton of Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifting a Ton of Feathers

Jessica
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was recommended for me by my dissertation chair as I embarked on my first tenure-track job. The book contains some great advice, but the data is showing its age (although its a great time capsule reminder of how bad things were for female academics even in the mid-1990s.) If anyone has a recommendation for a similar book that has been published more recently, please feel free to post below.
Corby
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really wish I had read this book when it came out. It might have saved me some bad-decision-angst and positively altered my career path. Then again I might not have been mature enough to really understand what to do during the real-life display of the insidious issues/situations raised in the book...
Laurie
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Every woman in academia should read this. You might think you know about the sexism and misogyny in the field, but the author clearly lays out how it may affect you in your day to day work. I got a lot out of this book, and it has helped me see how some of my academic roadblocks are set up by the structure of academia, and not by my own failings.

Raquel
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-authors
The first five chapters are about misconceptions that women or people in general might have about women. The remaining three chapters give practical advice. I would recommend reading the last three chapters to everyone and reading or not the first five chapters according to personal experiences.
Brandelyn
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lots of great tips and scenarios concerning being a woman in higher ed. While I'm still in a woman-dominated department, sexism still exists. This book helped me to be more aware of the subtle ways that sex is enacted even in my own hallway.
Laurie
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Published in 1994, this volume looks (with evidence) at the persistent problems faced by women in academia, which is still (like much else in the world) a male-dominated enterprise.
Emily
Jun 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: feminists of all genders, women in the academy
Shelves: feminism, academia
Full review to come.

1. It explains how & why things can be so hard for women.

2. It demonstrates that it's not all in your head.

3. Gives clear suggestions for things to do.
Debra
Jul 14, 2017
Judy
Dec 06, 2013
Vicki
rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2015
Silvia Tavares
Apr 08, 2014
Marnie
Apr 14, 2014
Paula J. Caplan, Ph.D., is a clinical and research psychologist, author of books and plays, playwright, actor, and director. She was born and raised in Springfield, Missouri, received her A.B. with honors from Radcliffe College of Harvard University, and received her M.A. and Ph.D. in psychology from Duke University. She is currently an Affiliate at Harvard University's DuBois Institute, working o ...more
More about Paula J. Caplan...