Start by marking “Speed Dating with the Dead” as Want to Read:
Speed Dating with the Dead

Read eBook

Speed Dating with the Dead

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  769 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
When Wayne "Digger" Wilson hosts a paranormal conference at the haunted White Horse Inn, he has motives beyond searching for the inn's legendary ghosts. Years ago, he made a honeymoon promise to his wife Beth that if one of them died, the survivor would return to the White Horse to summon the other's lost spirit. Now she's dead and Digger's back, with the daughter they con ...more
Published September 10th 2010 by Createspace (first published June 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Speed Dating with the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speed Dating with the Dead

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
2.5
I am not sure what to think of this book. Is it entertaining? Yes, in the same way a haunted place horror film is entertaining. The evil doesn't come out all at once. It takes its sweet time, working on individual people one by one. After all, none of them are innocents.

There was exactly one person I didn't want dead. Imagine a full hotel and I would save only one. I don't think that was intentional though. The character in question simply didn't get enough space to annoy me, I think.
Somewhe
Donna
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it

Carolyn
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this for book club. It had some creepy scenes but none that made me want to jump out of my chair, as I've experienced reading Stephen King! It's one of those books that I'll no doubt forget completely 5 minutes after reading... or 5 minutes after writing this review :)

Kate
Aug 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you like ghosts and demons and people getting killed every few seconds, you'll probably really enjoy this book.

If you like in-depth characterization, consistent world-building, and plots that make sense...you will probably really despise this book.

Sadly, I fall into the latter category. I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to think about the supernatural elements of the story - not least because the author and therefore the characters couldn't seem to make up their minds about wheth
Katy
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark paranormal suspense, horror
Recommended to Katy by: Scott Nicholson
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I originally read and reviewed this in Dec. 2011; am just standardizing my reviews as I run across old ones.

Disclosure: I picked this book up from Amazon because I enjoy the author's work. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: Wayne “Digger” Wilson made a promise to his wife, Beth, on their honeymoon at the White Horse Inn just outside Black Rock, NC – he promised that, if one of them died, the other would come here, to the inn, to try to make contact with the decedent’s spirit. Eig
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2011
Speed Dating with the Dead is an interesting ghost story. The creepy hotel, White Horse Inn was reminiscent of Stephen King's Rose Red. A paranormal ghost hunt is scheduled to take place at the White Horse Inn, the guest get more than they bargain for as the ghosts/demons make themselves known.

Nicholson really has a knack for adding more than a fair amount of horror and suspense to an amazing plot. The characters are well developed adding depth to the plot. The plot thickens as Digger and his da
Moses Siregar III
This is the second Scott Nicholson novel I've read. If you ask me, Scott's got a great way with words. His voice is hilarious and perpetually creative. What's nice about this is that no matter what story he's telling, I can enjoy it for the writing itself.

This one is kind of a ghost/horror story, but because the cast of characters was so wonderfully quirky, I found it to be at least as humorous as it was scary--and I think that's a good thing. It was fast-paced and fun, and the suspense kept me
Lin
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, but not good, either. The general storyline was decent enough, but I didn't really connect with the characters. And the ending was rushed, after a whole lot of buildup. Some good graphic and gory descriptions. All in all, not awful, especially for a cheapie easy read.
Grace Krispy
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The White Horse Inn. Located in the remote Appalachian Mountains, it's a perfectly spooky setting for a paranormal conference. With a haunted history and an utterly dreary atmosphere, the ghost hunters are in their element. Using their high-tech equipment, they are eager to capture the entities' visages and communications, even willingly offering up their own energy. Wayne "Digger" Wilson is the leader of this group, having dragged his unwilling teenage daughter along on the trip. He's got this ...more
C.C. Thomas
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ghost stories, real ghost stories not the new paranormal ones with fantastical creatures, are my very favorite! I love reading about things that go bump in the night with shivers, sitting all curled up on the couch with every light in the house on. It's really hard to find a good one, though, and I am disappointed more often than not. This book did not disappoint! There were goosebumps galore!

Digger is a ghost investigator and has planned a conference at a famed, haunted North Carolina inn (I lo
BigJohn
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Speed Dating with the Dead is a refreshing tale of the supernatural. What's most refreshing is that it shows the genre continues to survive and thrive despite the market being flooded with vampire and zombie stories. This story is a straight-up tale of haunting, told from the perspective of a group of ghost hunters who are staging a paranormal conference at a haunted hotel.

There's a great cast of characters, including a widower hoping to connect with his dead wife, their skeptical daughter, a pa
November Is Lovecraft Mythos The Haunted Reading Room
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supernatural, horror, mystery, character readers
I selected “Speed Dating with the Dead” because that title just titillates me! It inspires me to howl aloud and simultaneously grab for my Kindle for PC and get reading! And of course, as I begin the first page, immediately I settle into that comfortable armchair of the mind, installed beside a cozily blazing fire, feet ensconced on an ottoman, while outside the windows (of my mind’s eye), a furious blizzard rages. No matter-I am now inside a Scott Nicholson novel, and reading is all I need.

“Spe
Bewitched Bookworms
As a fan of shows like Ghost Hunters, I found the circumstances the characters of this book faced very believable. The author had accuarate and detailed descriptions of the technology that real life ghost hunters use for their investigations. If you go to the author's website, you can explore links to the real life conference and Inn that inspired this book.

I give Speed Dating with the Dead 5 out of 5. I great, fast paced, twisty turning, not predicatable, paranormal thriller.

Read the full revi
Stuart
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I snuggled up to this book. It was the literary equivalent of a horror comedy. A father and daughter find themselves caught up with some very dangerous paranormal activity in a creepy hotel. I must admit by the choice of title and my interpretation of the style of the book it was meant to be tongue in cheek. Like a lot of books I have read this kept me amused but did not provide soul searching questions. I did not expect it to or want it to. I read it on holiday and it was just the tonic to get ...more
Bethica
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I just finished reading "Speed Dating for the Dead" by Scott Nicholson that I borrowed from Amazon's Lending Library. I really love his works but this one was so slow until more than half way through. I almost put it down several times unable to finish. Finally it did get really good, picked up the pace, and ended very "Nicholson-esk" which is gripping and full of page turners. It was a story about a ghost hunter conference taking place in an old hotel in the Apalacian mountains.
Marvin
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a fairly interesting take on the haunted house story. Skeptical ghost hunter organizes ghost hunt with lots of eccentric paranormal investigators at a haunted hotel. It turns out he may not be so skeptical as he has another agenda involving his long dead wife. While I enjoyed it, I wasn't really that taken by the characters that crowded this busy little novel. If you like ghosts, demons, and bad paranormal cable TV shows, you may like this more than I did. A marginal three stars.
Holly Nessling
As with all Scott Nicholson novels, a good page-turner but it was somewhat unsatisfactory. The pace was a little off and some of the characterisation a bit disjointed. This was probably due to going into a little too much depth about some characters without providing sufficient back-story to actually explain motivations. The combination made for a slightly thin story. It was still an enjoyable read but a little disappointing.
Natasa
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, demons, paranormal
Absolutely loved this book! My first by this author and definitely not the last, can't wait to read more from him (good to know he wrote a lot of books!).
David Donaghe
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speed Dating With the Dead takes you into the world of the ghost hunters as a ghost hunting group investigates a haunted hotel. I found it to be a good read.
Jana Fogg
I was half way through and only finished it because I hate starting a book and not finishing it. I would not recommend this book at all!!
Jeanine
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one sitting.. I simply couldn't put it down.. It's excellent.
Anita
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
I confess ... I lost interest half way through and couldn't finish it. I might try again later, it just could be the timing.
Jean Cogdell
This was OK. Not as scary as I like.
Ed Crickmer
Not as good as I had thought it would be.
Caleb Blake
Cross-posted from Papyrus Independent Author Reviews (http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/04/29/speed-dating-with-the-dead-by-scott-nicholson/)

Wayne “Digger” Wilson convenes his paranormal circus at the White Horse Inn – to give his clients a show, to make a profit and to keep a promise to the dead. The White Horse wants something in return and it will raise Hell to get it.

Speed Dating with the Dead is a supernatural horror that revolves around a kind of paranormal convention that gathers at know
Wesley Thomas
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel will grip you right from the get-go! You have the protagonist Wayne ‘Digger’ Wilson who has lost his wife, and is now travelling around with his daughter, hosting paranormal events. But when he gets his latest job at the White Horse Inn things start to get awry, and given that Digger has a history with this hotel, that is the last thing he needs.

You have a well written pace that builds up the tension and suspenseful wonderfully. The paranormal workers are setting up the technology to
Michael
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Wayne "Digger" Wilson and Spirit Seekers International (SSI), his team of ghost hunters, are hosting a weekend-long paranormal conference at North Carolina's White Horse Inn, reputedly the most haunted hotel in the country. Self-proclaimed psychics, mediums, sensitives, amateur ghost hunters, thrill seekers and even plain old skeptics have descended on the White Horse for a weekend of ghost hunting and panels and discussions from paranormal science's best and brightest.

But Digger is no believe
Juliet
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love those books that keep me engaged so fully in the story that I can lose myself between the pages for hours and not even realize how much time has passed. That's exactly what I found with Speed Dating with the Dead. I was alternately terrified and captivated by this story. Now, this wasn't exactly what I was expecting based on the title. I was thinking it would be a humorous paranormal romantic thriller. Boy was I wrong! This book reminded me of a combination of that movie 1408 and an episo ...more
Courtney Skelton
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scott Nicholson has written a rather intriguing ghost story. The title alone is what got me to click on the icon and buy the kindle book version. Speed dating with the dead. “Dead” in the title told me there would be a constant morbid theme of the deceased, while at the same time, having the title start with “Speed dating” gives it a modern era feel.

On a personal note, this is my first kindle book. I do realize I am way behind on this as this is nothing new in the electronic age, but I figured
Katey Cooper
  • The Vampire Club
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • The Forgotten Eden (Talisman Chronicles #1)
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • The Nightmare Within
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • Dark Corners
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • Dark Passage
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
  • The Haunted
  • Reunion
  • Vermin
  • Year of the Dead (Sustainable Earth #1)
  • The Spirit Box (John Hazard, #1)
  • We are the Monsters
  • Zomblog (Zomblog, #1)
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...
“My thermograph got nothing,” he said. “I think that place is deader than Bob Dole’s dick.” 0 likes