Start by marking “The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3

(The Story of Saiunkoku #3)

Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisors. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne’er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei has returned
Published May 3rd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3

Start your review of The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3
Jane
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haha I didn't remember the dice scene from the anime! Was there one?
Estara
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, read-in-2011
This manga volume is - as far as I know - taken from the beginning of the second light novel - Shurei has left the palace but is confronted in the very first pages that her experience there has made her dream of becoming a civil servant and helping the population of the empire become so real that the usual fate of a young woman of her age and standing - marriage and a family - are just not something she can see herself grasp any-more.

I love the fact that Shurei is self-aware enough that these ar
Christina
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume continues the story from vol 2 and introduces a few new characters and more about political intrigue rather than romance though the romance is still there but not as prominent in this volume. I enjoyed this manga as well as anime like always as far as the plot and it didn't feel like a filler to me. (In fact it made me want to rewatch the anime which is fun) as far as child appropriateness I believe this particular manga is appropriate for teenagers 12 and up but not any younger just ...more
Kati
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really loved the anime but the manga is starting to bore me. Except for the introduction of Minister Ko and Ensei nothing happened in this volume. All the characters did was talk and their conversations pretty much ran in circles, extolling the virtues of civil servants for the society etc. And the Emperor's one-sided infatuation with Shurei is starting to become really embarrassing, especially since she's all he can think about and she doesn't spare him a single thought, so... it's very cring ...more
L.L. Tibbetts
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable & touching

This series is so heartwarming. The main character is a very strong female. Loving, intelligent, determined, and incredibly well-written. I love everything about this series.
Amanda Setasha Hall
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: zzz-2018
The characters are still kind of bland and I haven't completely made my mind up about this series yet.
I'll probably finish it because of how short it is, but it's probably never going to stand out to me unfortunately.
Stephanie Molnar
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Very wordy edition. Instead of a traditional manga which is pictures with words, a lot of these pages were words with pictures.
Kristina
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one deals with the effects of vice, dreams, and doing what you can. It is a good reminder not to hide yourself from people and duties, shirking the love.
R
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much! I love the characters and the illustrations are beautiful. This storyline was especially enjoyable. I can't wait to see what happens next!
3.5 Stars

Still very good, but I felt like the politics dragged down the character development and overall plot.
Judyth (Geeky Reading)
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
~3.5/5
[Also available in my blog.]

It has taken me forever to get this volume. And I even have the next one, and have had it for months, but this one was nowhere to be found. The lack of manga availability in my area is frustrating beyond belief.

In the previous two books, I was not very impressed with this series. The language is a bit dense, and I’m not all that interested in the history, and it was just not as interesting as I wanted it to be. But I already had the fourth volume (since I found
Sinai C.
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This book wasn't as good as the others in my opinion, because we're just getting deeper into the story, I guess. The Emperor wasn't in it as much, and though the idea of Serian/Shuri is played on by other characters...the actual two characters themselves never seem to make moves on each other, which is disappointing, though the Prince's gifts and his obvious affection for Shuri is really sweet.

Two Stars for the Artwork: It continues to be beautiful and I think, it's a little better than the ani
Debby
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, mnc
baca versi terjemahan indonesia nya.

dan yakkk asik ui, seperti biasa istilah pangkatnya agak bikin pusing, belom lagi tokohnya bejibum. tapi tetep asik aja di baca. mana pejabat negaranya aneh2 begitu lagi. hi hi hi. dan yak salut dengan shuurei yang selalu semangat untuk meraih mimpi.

semoga next vol tercapai cita cita mu nak. he he he

yak 4 bintang sempurna

dan menunggu dengan semangat next vol nya.
S. J.
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, teenage girls, people interested in manga, fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: LIbrary; Series
I have to say, other then the fact that Shurei got to work as a civil servant in the place for a while, this book didn't interest me as much as the previous books. I think that's because what really made the story for me was the interactions between Shurei and the emperor Ryuki, how innocent and cute his were and how they really did complement each other so well. I will admit though, I HAVE to find out about the Minister of the Treasury - his mask is driving me crazy.
Luna
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
2-3 Stars
Given up after 4 books.

I love the artwork, I really do - because it’s stunning. Somehow though I’m just not connecting with this series – it’s not bad but after the third book I getting bored and I decided by the end of the fourth that it wasn’t worth continuing. Might return later to try again.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
So many adventures!
Now Shurei gets to dress up as a boy and help in the ministry, as the heat wave leaves many people unable to work.
Mely
Jan 29, 2011 marked it as read-seq-art
Shelves: manga, scanlation, shojo
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
This was good. And I like the cover. One of my favorite characters. Anyway, good volume in the series so far.
Kelly Barry
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Again, full of awesome character development, and while can get a little Anime-style overdramatic, it's part of the series's charm.
Leah Webber
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shurei is brought back to the palace as an emergency aid, and get to live her dream of being a civil servant for a time.
Victoria
Dominique Darland
Jan 12, 2015

• The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 1
  • Black Bird, Vol. 2
  • 暁のヨナ 1 [Akatsuki no Yona 1] (Yona of the Dawn, #1)
  • 暁のヨナ 17 [Akatsuki no Yona 17] (Yona of the Dawn, #17)
  • Pengantin Demos Vol. 1 (Akuma no Hanayome, #1)
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 2
  • 暁のヨナ 16 [Akatsuki no Yona 16] (Yona of the Dawn, #16)
  • Highfire
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 3
  • Akuma to tsuki no yoru
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • That Blue Sky Feeling, Vol. 2
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 4
  • 暁のヨナ 15 [Akatsuki no Yona 15] (Yona of the Dawn, #15)
  • 虫かぶり姫 1 [Mushikaburi-hime, Light Novel 1] (Princess Bibliophile Light Novels, #1)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 02 (Fairy Tail, #2)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 03 (Fairy Tail, #3)
Also known as 由羅 カイリ

The Story of Saiunkoku (9 books)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1