Start by marking “The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2

(The Story of Saiunkoku #2)

Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisors. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne'er-do-well ruler to govern.

After realizing Ryu
Published February 1st 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published June 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2

Start your review of The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2
Estara
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of intrigue, fantasy of manners, strong women, well developed characters
Shelves: manga, read-in-2011
I'm really grateful we get the manga, too. This volume ends up the first light novel volume I believe, the initial stay of Shurei at the Imperial palace and the poisoning intrigue is cleared up - it is also made clear that Ryuki will stay on as emperor now, he makes a bargain to that effect with Lord Advisor Sho (whose probable identity is revealed in a very heartbreaking scene with Lord Advisor Sa).

The anime portrayed these goings on really well in episodes 1 to 13 of the first series, so not m
Mely
Jan 29, 2011 marked it as read-seq-art
Shelves: manga, shojo
In this volume: Shurei is kidnapped! Seiran's true identity is revealed! (No one is surprised.) The Black Wolf's true identity is revealed! (I am very surprised.)

My very favorite thing, though, is the side story about Shoka and Ryuki's first meeting, because (a) Shoka! (b) Ryuki! (c) adorable wee Ryuki! Shoka crying because he misses his dead wife! Ryuki earnestly steaming pork buns in a stolen helmet! Bruised empty-eyed wee Ryuki! Purple-faced choking wee Ryuki who has just had his first taste
Jane
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shuurei and Ryuuki and Seiran and everyone else ... <3 <3 <3 I LOVE THEM ...more
Charmaine
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The artwork is beautiful. I had a little trouble keeping track of certain details, including the elderly characters, though. I loved the bonus story - very touching. I recommend this shojo manga, especially for fans of historical manga and romance. :-)
Christina
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This manga was a great continuation for the series and if you need to not continue it is an excellent stopping point. I love the artstyle and the relationships between the characters. In addition there were a lot of reveals that occurred in this volume that were interesting and unexpected. There was only one part that truly confused me but it confused me in both the anime and the manga so.... anyhow because of these points i would have to give this manga 4 out of 5 stars i cannot wait to read mo ...more
L.L. Tibbetts
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my new favorites

This series is so incredibly refreshing to the genre. The story is enthralling, the characters are so well done, and... it has my heart.
If you are a fan of romance stories, give this series a chance. Can't wait to read the next one.
Julia
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't really know what this was about because all of them look the same and their names sound the same. No spoiler, but when the rival came back... wtf? Who was that? How did that happen? I will not be continuing this series.
Kati
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this manga so much: the story, the characters, the art. It's funny and sweet and touching and intriguing... simply wonderful. In this volume, I was really surprised by who the Black Wolf turned out to be!
Amanda Setasha Hall
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: zzz-2018
This story is pretty funny. A lot of the battle scenes aren't drawn that well. A lot of the characters look too much alike for me to keep up with who is who.
It's not overly terrible though.
Shin'itsirou Futono
Slightly confusing.
Mary
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, library-reads
Reminds me a little bit of Yona of the Dawn, with Shurei as a strong willed and capable young lady & and emperor who is more competent than he seems. Looking forward to reading more of the story. ...more
R
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations but a bit graphic in this volume.
Kristina
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a mythical kingdom that resembles China but isn’t China, the fairy tale continues to make you squee with delight at its cuteness.
BookChicGeek
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It became very confusing for me near the end and I was surprised by one twist but so far I'm still into this series.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

After realizing Ryuki has been faking his ignorance, an enraged Shurei demands to be sent home immediately. Ryuki then locks Shurei in h
Jennifer Lavoie
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The second volume of this series is filled with even more beautiful art, intrigue, danger, and romance. I'm still torn between who I like more: Seiran or Ryuki! This reminds me a bit of Fushigi Yugi, which is a series I have yet to finish, but loved.

I like the main story involving Shurei, but I want to know more about the side characters, especially Shuei and Koyu. They seem to have an interesting relationship, and I want to know more about it. There are three characters that seem to have been
Anna C
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lbh berbobot dan padat dari buku pertama. Tapiii, nama2nya itu bikin bingung, uda bejibun, mirip2 lagi. Terutama nama para tokoh pendamping seperti nama pelayan, penasihat, tetua, dll. Misalnya, Shuuei dgn Shuurei. Ada lagi yg namanya Shusui.
Contoh lainnya, Shou dan Sou. Ini nama para tetuanya. Muka mrk pun hampir mirip dgn tatanan rmbt yg hampir mirip, sama2 digerai gitu....coba kalo salah satunya disanggul atau diekor kuda kan jadi bisa ngebedain...tsk...

Imho, alur plot di buku 2 ini juga ter
Indo
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isi buku kedua ini masih melanjutkan cerita buku pertama hingga tamat. Sepertinya di buku ketiga nanti akan mulai dengan babak baru.

Di buku kedua ini, akhirnya terungkap (walaupun udah bisa ditebak sih) identitas asli beberapa tokoh. ~~Nggak usah disebut namanya, nanti nggak seru bacanya :D~~ Tapiiiiii, ada momen yang bikin hati fujoshi-ku menjerit2 fangirling-an pas baca komik ini. Aku nggak bakal kasih spoiler di sini, silakan baca sendiri yaaa. Adegannya mulai di story 7 sampai story 8 :D

Sek
S. J.
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, teenage girls, people interested in manga; fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: Library; Series
Good grief, this series moves fast! I finished this volume and was left wondering what else the series could possible have to talk about! If you liked the first volume, this picks up where it left off with lots of new information to cram inside your brain.

Again, I love this series but I REALLY can't stand Shurei sometimes. She is heartless at times, though I don't think she truly means to be. I really love the emperor and hope we can see him grow as a character and as a leader in future volumes
Debby
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yak, ceritanya wakin kaya dengan intrik walau tidak terlalu berat. sisi komik shojonya yg berbunga indah di mana mana masih ada yg menjadi penyeimbang. hanya ada satu kata terjemahan yang sedikit mengganjal "MUMPUNI" .... ini bukan salah ketikkan yah ? yak sampai vol ini masih semangat untuk menunggu vol selanjutnya.

like it
Luna
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
2-3 Stars
Given up after 4 books.

I love the artwork, I really do - because it’s stunning. Somehow though I’m just not connecting with this series – it’s not bad but after the third book I getting bored and I decided by the end of the fourth that it wasn’t worth continuing. Might return later to try again.
Padma
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Akhirnya ketahuan juga siapa pelaku yang mengincar nyawa Shuurei dan dalang dibaliknya.

Keren deh ngeliat Ryuuki ambil tindakan dan usahanya nyelametin Shuurei. Selain itu di volume ini terungkap jati diri Seiran, dan juga (view spoiler)
Katie Tillwick
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty much adorable.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Wow! Now that was a plot I wasn't expecting.
Oh my goodness! He dad was the leader of that group?!
Emmy Lou
Whoa whoa whoa - what happened here?!?
I absolutely loved volume 1, but this... it didn't feel like the same series. It took me 3 days to read, for one.
Sigh. At least the art is still gorgeous.
Leah Webber
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Poor noblelad Shurei's troubles are compounding in this volume as it becomes apparent that someone is out to remove her from her position as royal consort in a very permanent way.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Another good volume. Story is good so far. Same with the characters.

• The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 1
  • 暁のヨナ 1 [Akatsuki no Yona 1] (Yona of the Dawn, #1)
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 2
  • 約束のネバーランド 3 [Yakusoku no Neverland 3]
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 6
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 11
  • Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • 暁のヨナ 17 [Akatsuki no Yona 17] (Yona of the Dawn, #17)
  • 暁のヨナ 8 [Akatsuki no Yona 8] (Yona of the Dawn, #8)
  • 水神の生贄 6 [Suijin no Hanayome 6] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #6)
Also known as 由羅 カイリ

The Story of Saiunkoku (9 books)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1