Start by marking “10,000 Dreams Interpreted: A Dictionary of Dreams” as Want to Read:
10,000 Dreams Interpreted: A Dictionary of Dreams

10,000 Dreams Interpreted: A Dictionary of Dreams

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  534 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Gustavus Hindman Miller’s groundbreaking masterwork, published nearly a century ago, remains the most compelling and thorough study of all the symbols that appear in our dreamscape. Updated, beautifully designed, and wonderfully easy to follow, it’s an invaluable source of information, and key to understanding the unconscious impulses that guide us. Miller offers an enligh ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Sterling (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about 10,000 Dreams Interpreted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10,000 Dreams Interpreted

Sandra
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writer-helpers, other
This is a dictionary of dreams in order by words so you can search for items alphabetically.

More of a reference type of book than a reader.
Creative Choices
I purchased this book because of my interest in the topic and the beauty of the book. The introduction is complete and interesting. The layout of the book gives the reader ease of use, the topics are extensive, easy to locate with a comprehensive cross reference throughout the book. The beauty of the book is what makes it stand out among similar titles. It is unfortunate that the positive aspects of this book stop there.

I have spent extensive time studying the mind from many aspects, everything
Morgan
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
People come to me with their dreams, asking for interpretation. Sometimes I'm asked what my references are for dream interpretation and I admit that they are internal—intuition and insight into the analogies of the subconscious. Occasionally I come across a book on dream interpretation, like this one, and I'm reminded why I don't use them. Firstly, no book knows what's going on in any given dreamer's awake life, hence the dictionary definitions of what a dream's various elements might mean is li ...more
Nikki Nielsen
I look at this book everytime I go to Barnes and Noble and I finally bought it. I have looked up my dreams for the last few nights and so far learned that dreaming of going to the dentist means I doubt the sincerity and honor of someone, hearing a serenade means anticipations will not fail me, cutting down a tree means I am wasting my energy (maybe looking up my dreams is the waste of energy? :), and dreaming of living in a castle means I have prospects of being a great traveler.

There is nothin
Eva Leger
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: b-non-fiction
I've only flipped through this at times but after seeing what I've seen, which wasn't much, I've come to the hopeful conclusion that this must be one of the poorer dream interpretation books out there. I certainly hope this isn't the cream of the crop because if it is I'm sticking with my own conclusions.
Unless you're trying to find "falling" or "spiders" you'll be out of luck and that's very childish. I wanted more in depth interpretations and I wanted to be able to delve deeper into dreams I
mairywo
I bought this at a goth store waiting for a friend who couldn't decide whether or not she wanted a really interesting belt (she didn't in the end).[return]I only pick up this book about every half year as I usually can't remember my dreams. And if I do remember them, only one in every dozen or so is disturbing or weird enough that I want to know what it means. More often than not I'm not satisfied with the answers this book gives me, but that could either be because I don't really believe in it ...more
Regina
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelia Timmons
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I like to read dream dictionaries so I really liked this book. It has some old-fashioned interpretations, but that is why I like this book. I collect dream dictionaries, so if you do this one is a must have. I also love all the dream quotes from the Bible.

"And it shall come to pass in the last days," saith God, "I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." -- Acts 2:17

One of
Johnflynch
Aug 18, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, and every book like it, is epic bunk. dreams cannot be interpreted this way because people create their own symbols unintentionally. the only way a book like this could be correct is if the readers subconscious assimilated the information and applied it. which is possible but 1. unlikely and 2. makes the content a self fulfilling prophecy which is of little personal use.
Marian Yee
Appreciative and thankful for the attempt to list and categorize dreams. Unfortunately, many of us have dreams that cannot be found in the book.
Sometimes a dream could be categories in two different areas and the interpretation is too vague or confusing to make any sense. Perhaps, another follow-up edition is needed.
Jodi Velazquez
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you want to have fun - get this book! After awakening and remembering your dream you can look up the true meaning of the dream and see what is really on your mind. So many times I had to laugh at how my mind turned my daily problems into a comical dream. The only negative aspect is that some nights I don't dream!
erin
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
bathroom reader.
so everything in this book is totally bizarre and every dream you ever have is bad...someone will die, or you will have ugly children, or you will lose all your money with just about anything you have a dream about.
but at the same time it's also hilarious! i try to find the most bizarre dream analyses ever when i'm taking a....well you get my drift. :)
Audra
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. It left out sexual dreams. It was very good for compiling the different possibilities in one place saving readers the research. I admit to skipping the history part as I felt it wasn't needed.
Anthony Rice
Jan 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult, dreams
Utterly useless book. Curiosity value only.
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura by: Katie Kirk
Great dream reference introduced to me by a former roomie. Biblical refrences. I miss picking it off her shelf after a night of dreaming. Time is overdue for me to get my own copy!
Kate Zirkle
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very fun reference book.
Mo
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: guide-books
Okay, but I've seen better.
Briánna
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Briánna by: friend
Pretty cool. Interesting.
April
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Its a beautiful book, but I don't find dream dictionaries that useful.
♥adrienne♥
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have to say that it really frustrates me when I can't find the dream I am looking for in this book. It happens a lot. When I do it's good though.
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Good book for basic dream interpritation.
Simon
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Simon by: Kayla
it was cool to understand a few things about my dreams and I was very shocked when somethings actually turned out the way it was described. It's an entertaining read.
Laurie Stoll
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
More reference than reading material.
robin
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
really cool, fun, and interesting, but not necessarily to be taken seriously in light of modern science. still worth a look, just for novelty's sake.
Rachel
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
The best dream interpretation book I've come across.
Ashley
Sep 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
interpretations vary per person, but I've never shook my head disagreeing with so many of these in a single book before.
Alice
Jul 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first ever dream interpretation book. I bought this book when i was barely a teenager because i thought it would be fun to find out what my dreams actually meant. Unfortunately, this book gives short definitions to every word and it seems like every definition i've came across was always something negative. It seems written very "horoscope-like".

The only good thing that came from this book is that it pushed me forward into believing that dreams do have meanings. It has helped me fine-tuned my
Alexis
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
The worst dream manual out there. As a dreamworker, working analyst and Jungian, I have to say that this man's interpretations are so far off they are nearly polar opposite to the actual symbology. I was excited when I plucked this from a thrift bookstore because it is illustrated and was seemingly of great quality. I sat down while shelving to see what it had to say about dream symbols I've worked the field over, and I was shocked at how incredibly wrong C H Miller was and appalled at his lack ...more
Autumn
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun to read and try to interpret your own dreams... I always have crazy dreams and found this book super cheap in a bargain bookstore. I'm a dream nerd and figured, why not get a dream book? The only thing about this one, it's severely outdated! Also, for listing 10,000 dreams, it doesn't include a lot of things I frequently dream about.

It's fun and entertaining to look through and would making for good conversation if you're terrible at small talk, like me, but other than that, only every once
Mike
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for years and have used it hundreds of times when I was perplexed by a dream or just curious. I haven't read every single page but, I have had a whole bunch of different topics in my dreams so I've had the opportunity to scan through the majority of the book. It has almost every description from the alice down the hole crazy to the dog ate my homework ordinary. So whichever kind you have, this book will more than likely have a decent decription as to the why you had it and wha ...more
  • Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Healing Stones
  • Psychology and Social Sanity
  • Altars: Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life
  • How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides
  • Being Happy
  • The Book of Talismans, Amulets and Zodiacal Gems
  • Artist's Manual: A Complete Guide to Paintings and Drawing Materials and Techniques
  • The Psychologist's Book Of Self-Tests: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests Developed By Professionals to Reveal the Real You
  • Simon & Shuster Handbook for Writers
  • Dictionary of Symbols
  • Crone's Book of Magical Words
  • The Secret Language of Dreams: A Visual Key to Dreams and Their Meanings
  • Your Book Of Shadows: How to Write Your Own Magickal Spells
“Dreams are rudiments of the great state to come. We dream what is about to happen.''—BAILEY,” 0 likes
“The objective mind is most active when the body is awake. The subjective influences are most active, and often fill the mind with impressions, while the physical body is asleep. The spiritual intelligence can only intrude itself when the human will is suspended, or passive to external states. A man who lives only on the sensual plane will receive his knowledge through the senses, and will not, while in that state, receive spiritual impressions or warning dreams.” 0 likes