Start by marking “Broken Wings” as Want to Read:
Broken Wings

Broken Wings

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
An electrifying novel of intrigue, "Broken Wings" moves beyond the authors' "New York Times" bestselling nonfiction -- and takes readers along on a furious psychological duel between the nation's top profiler and a ruthless criminal mastermind.The director of the FBI is dead. Officially it's being called suicide; unofficially, it's a murder. On the first morning of his ret ...more
Published February 27th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Wings

Lightreads
Dec 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
An FBI thriller about, uh, FBI thriller things. The Director is murdered and there’s internal politics and a survivalist militia group and an international crime syndicate. You know.

Okay, just so we’re all clear. John Douglas is one of the authors of this book. He is also one of the founders of the FBI’s Behavioral Sciences Unit, and a groundbreaking profiler. He’s arrogant, self-righteous, and extraordinarily talented almost enough to justify both. He’s a legend in the field and to those of us
Sharon
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I believe if I could I would have rated this a 2.5 or 2.75. This is my second book by these authors, I believe they do a much better job at nonfiction then fiction. Great concept just seemed predictable, and very few grab your attention.
Jill
Nov 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Stick with the non-fiction. Douglas is not much of a writer. The non-fiction is enough to interest the reader, but the fiction is pretty awful.
Mara
Oct 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: don-t-bother
Note to self: just because you like someone's non-fiction doesn't mean their fiction will be worth the three hours it takes to read a book like this...
Catten
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Anyone who is interested in criminal profiling knows who John Douglas is. And Mark Olshaker is the author who pulls Douglas’s stories together. But did you know they collaborated on a novel in 1999?

I read Mindhunter (1995) and couldn’t get enough. Then I read Journey Into Darkness (1997), and still was pretty impressed. Then came Obsession (1998) and Anatomy of a Motive (1999). I started thinking, gee, John Douglas had all these adventures in the FBI, but he seems to be telling the same stories
Sharon Hardin
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was in a box of thrillers given to me to pass on to my father-in-law and I pulled it out for myself. It was published in 1999, but didn't seem out-of-date. It was better than I expected, a decent mystery, interesting facts about profiling and cases.
Jamie Rose
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was OK. I found some parts ridiculously far -fetched but not bad overall.

Jake Donovan is an FBI profiler, after a botched raid which wasn't exactly his fault, he gets retired by the Director. Director then commits suicide - or did he?

A rich woman provides financial backing and equipment for a private specialist team, lead by Donovan to investigate the death and various other things -

Donovan's Flying Squad is awfully like The A-Team even down to one member having a fear of flying. Except th
Ed Wyrd
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Exciting thriller about an FBI profiler, Jake Donovan written by an actual profiler. Jake is the head of the profiler department until an incident involving a militia group puts him at odds with the FBI Director. Jake is fired, but the first day of retirement, he's called in to help investigate the FBI Director's apparent suicide.

The novel has a lot of action and delves into the world of profiling daily realistically, I'm assuming. My only issue is -- SPOILER ALERT -- even though it comes out i
Leanna Jackson
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowing who John Douglas is and having read some of the nonfiction he and Mark Olshaker have written, I knew how this fiction piece was going to read. I love their nonfiction and this book is a good first effort to take what John Douglas has seen and write a novel. It is an easy, fun, predictable read. This is not a book you can go into and expect something magical from. It is a fun retired FBI---let's get the bad guys story. I can't wait to read the other fiction they've written with these char ...more
Cactuskid
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Another psycological duel but the last half is pretty good. The FBI director is dead supposedly a suicide. Jake Donovan retires (forced) but is secretly equipped with a plane, lab & headquarters and puts together a team of "broken wings" (damaged-goods agents like himself who have been frozen out of the FBI)to follow the trail as to why and how he was killed.
Katie
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
It was... OK. There were a couple parts where I might consider the book a "page-turner" but not enough to make it worthy of a re-read or to encourage others to read this book. I typically love books by John Douglas but this was my first time reading a fiction novel by him. I think I'll stick with his non-fiction books.
Rob
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, detective
Not a bad first novel for Douglas. Obviously a wish fulfillment novel as the protagonist is a thinly veiled Douglas himself. And an obvious series opener. The plot was interesting and the writing good, but not great. I'll try the second (and only other) book in the series.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Jake Donovan is in forced retirement from The FBI's Profiling unit. In California a man is dead in bed, an apparent suicide. Davenport is recalled from retirement and sent to California to investigate in what will turn out to be his most dangerous case.
Sidran
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
had to read it since i had read most of his nonfiction. it was fun.
Laurie Stoll
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Good reading. Kept wanting to turn the page and keep reading.
Jess
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting FBI profiling information. I am looking forward to the second book!
F
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Engrossing. Some bad language and behavior [even from the "heroes"]. Aside from that excellent! Gives insight into many aspects of crime fighting.
Rachelle
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-own
I actually loved this book. I love the tough guy with the bag full of weapons and the idea of a modern day superhero team coming together to solve crimes.
Paul Bork
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
A good FBI procedural,especially criminal profiling.
Ines
Jun 04, 2014
David
Nov 26, 2012
Todd Brock
rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Criminal Psychology And Personality Profiling (Forensics: The Science Of Crime Solving)
  • Profiling: The Psychology of Catching Killers
  • Practical Homicide Investigation: Tactics, Procedures, and Forensic Techniques
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Worth the Fighting For: A Memoir
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • Criminal Profiling: An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis
  • pugad baboy XII (Pugad Baboy, #12)
  • Tempted
  • The Porter Rockwell Chronicles Vol 3
  • More Joy of Sex
  • Foreign Bodies
  • Vancouver Nightmare (The Tom and Liz Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • The Last Phoenix (Madeline Turner, #3)
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • "This Is the Zodiac Speaking": Into the Mind of a Serial Killer
  • The Lost Detective: Becoming Dashiell Hammett
John Edward Douglas is a former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent, one of the first criminal profilers, and criminal psychology author. He also wrote four horror novels in the mid 1990s.

-Wikipedia
More about John E. Douglas...