Start by marking “1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art ” as Want to Read:
1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art

1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art

Steampunk is a burgeoning counter-cultural movement; a genre, community, and artform. The Steampunk movement seeks to recapture the spirit of invention, adventure, and craftsmanship reminiscent of early-nineteenth-century industrialization, in part to restore a sense of wonder to a technology-jaded world.

Packed with 1,000 full-color photographs, 1,000 Steampunk Creations
Published July 1st 2011 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about 1,000 Steampunk Creations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,000 Steampunk Creations

Soulless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Steampunk
400 books — 630 voters
1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth JohnsonFa la la la Felt by Amanda Carestio1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini) by Sandra SalamonyBoho Chic Jewelry by Laura Beth LoveLearning to Weave by Deborah Chandler
CREATE!
149 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
Noran Miss Pumkin
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, steampunk-goth
I just got this finally on my pre-order. It is a coolth delight to explore the array of Steampunk creations out there today. The photo quality is great--very detailed and colorful. I am intrigued by the science aspects of this art form-visual. i hope this winter to read some of the writing as well. Like any other art form--it can be done well or poorly.
Riona
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is more like a 2.5, even a 3 if I were feeling generous. I'm just not, today.

First off, the title is incredibly misleading. It should really be “1,000 Different Photographs of Maybe a Few Hundred Steampunk Creations”. The book consists of various-sized photos, some full-page, others as small as 1/6th page, each numbered 1-1,000. In many cases, there will be multiple views of a piece, or a full-scale photo and then several detail shots. Sometimes there will many small photos on a page each
Phair
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Purely visual. More or less a catalog of all types of steampunk art arranged by topics such as fine arts/sculpture; home decor; jewelry, fashion & haberdashery; contraptions. Very little text and only minimal info on each entry (artist, country of origin & briefest of descriptions appear in a numbered directory at the back)

As a source for inspiration and an overview of the makers arts this is a cool book to browse through. I desperately wanted to know more about some pieces but the
Ellie
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly cool & absolutely gorgeous pictures. When I was young, I felt this way about Vogue. Now, forget Vogue-this is way better. So imaginative and just so fun. Something to keep looking at over and over, reading the descriptions that go with the pictures. Leads to interesting scenarios and dreams.

Love it.
Lissa
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
There isn't much to actually read in this; it's mostly just photos of various steam punk items, artworks, jewellery, fashion and haberdashery. I bought it because a friend of mine is featured in it and I wanted to support her. I did however really enjoy scrolling through it and seeing all the marvels. The only downside for me was I wish there was a little blurb about the artists.
Ral
Jan 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
No info at all, just tons and tons of what ever photos of anything that could kinda be called Steampunk. It was more like a catalog with no prices then a book. Wonder when some one is going to do a real book on steampunk and not just something full of photos of things with gears glued to it.
Denise
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
To date I've only attempted one Steampunk creation: Renoir's Lady in Blue had as much of an influence.

Photography Prints

As soon as I finish absorbing what this book has to offer, I hope to tickle my portfolio with further musings.
Alessandra
A good selection of beautiful artworks, jewelry, costumes, and accessories from international artists. My only quibble is the lack of any noticeable minority presence.
Stella
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
At times inspirational, I found it visually overwhelming. Other than an introduction and some end notes, it is essentially a book of photos. Photo after photo after photo of complex Steampunk creations. I craved more in-depth descriptions and stories to go with the images. It is broken into subject chapters (modified technology, fine art and sculpture, home decor, fashion and haberdashery, hats and accessories, jewelry, and inventions and contraptions) which helped a little. If you are already ...more
Theresa Hildebrand
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Extremely cool giant book of all types of Steampunk creations. My interest in this was piqued by NetFlix making GSN's Steampunk'd season one available. I was sucked in with the first episode. The clash of Victorian age meets future meets post-apocalyptic worlds ~ what the what ? Amazingly interesting compilations. Having read HG Wells' Time Machine gives me a tiny bit of perspective into all of this ~ I need to catch up on my Jules Verne. Loving all this...
Ashley
Aug 10, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture, non-fiction

Steampunk is not my genre but I had to read one for a book challenge... So I spend the whole book like, #yawn #dontcare
C.O. Bonham
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is just pictures of SteamPunk Creations. It is cool to look at but does not show you how to make things steampunk nor does it tell you anything about the items pictured. It is literally 1000 steampunk pictures.

If you can find it at the Library like I did then I highly recommend checking it out. Otherwise, don't waste your money on it.
alana
1,000 Steampunk Creations has heaps of photos of steampunk-ish objects and costumes, loosely grouped by category (though several similar works by artists are featured in more than one category...). The photos are displayed 1 to 6 images per page with the name of the artist and their country of origin. I was frustrated that the images lacked titles, descriptions, and dimensions. Very short descriptions are listed at the back, but it's annoying to flip back and forth just to find out what the heck ...more
Celia
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
There were some impressive creations and mods pictured in this book (especially some of the guns, goggles, and gauntlets - like my alliteration?), but a lot of it was just junk. I think my favorite piece was an old pipe organ that someone had modded into a computer desk. There were a few things like that, but the book could have been easily condensed to a quarter of the items just by leaving out the rubbish. Just because something is brown or copper-colored and has gears on it doesn't make it a ...more
Cbphoenix
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
There aren't 1000 creations featured. There are 1000 photos of about 950 creations, some with two or three views.

Also, I wouldn't call quite a few of the pieces shown "steampunk." They're more like just grunged artworks. And, it takes more than slapping a few gears and clock parts on something to call it steampunk. While most of the work is pretty cool, much of it is not really steampunk.
Amy J
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk, nonfiction
A must see if you're into Steampunk. I am new to it and learned about Steampunk through literature but there is a whole culture out there. A way of life, if you will. This book has something for every facet of your life and is sublime. This is a visual resource but full of websites at the back if you see something you like and want to learn about an artist in depth.
Schnaucl
I'm not sure what I was expecting but more than this. It's a visual catalog of various creations, including some clothes and a section at the back tells you the materials used in each. There's an artist list with information at the back. There's some pretty stuff and a few things I'd love to own.
K8
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
The items in the photographs are great, but there is very little information about them, the media used to create them, etc. It is presented as a museum catalog, which an appendix in the back listing the title of the work. More information about the items themselves would have been wonderful.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well this was something. The costume designs, the goggle hats, jewelry was interesting. Basically the different types of steampunk designs was really good. Pretty good collection of all things steampunk really.
Erikka
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was like a cool museum of steampunk stuff, all in different categories: fashion, decor, jewelry, gadgets, etc. Fun to look through, but nothing to read. Could have benefitted from a little intro into what Steampunk is (I know, but others might not). Lots of ideas for DIY!
Katherine Cowley
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun visual look at steampunk creations--I enjoyed flipping through it and looking at the photos. I liked how the focus was on gadgets, inventions, art, and accessories rather than just neo-Victorian clothing.
erin buchanan
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, steampunk
Wish the text explaining some pieces was underneath the pictures instead of in the back.

I don't know when this was put together but there have got to be more artists. I would also have loved for it to be arranged by artist instead of forcing a catalogue style 'type' on things.
Geri Hoekzema
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book for browsing, whenever you're tired of reading, if you love costumes, jewelry or gadgetry. The amount of time, care and effort that makers of historically-inspired things invest in their work always amazes me.
Abraham Ray
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
not a lot of facts for me,that's may not be true for lover's of the genre though,I'm just not one of them.
Amber
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Im not a huge fan of steampunk but this was an awesome book to show people the art of this world.
Jessica
LOTS of great inspiration ideas... [3 Steampunk.
Uku
Pretty good inspirarion/idea sourcebook with just a bit of sloppy with photo layout. Few ring items had been placed three times over on the pages.
Kayla
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Coulda have done with a lot less of the "Fine Art and Sculptures" section. An interesting source of inspiration. Good for perusal. Would not buy.
Patrick
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Pretty fun, but not much better than what you can find online, in my opinion.
Jennifer Kronk
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful photo book.

• Return of the Dapper Men
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #1)
  • The Mapmaker's Apprentice (Glass and Steele, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I
  • The Second Chronicles of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #6-10)
  • The Apothecary's Poison (Glass and Steele, #3)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • The 39 Steps (Richard Hannay, #1)
  • The Princess and the Goblin  (Princess Irene and Curdie, #1)
  • Bead Tube Jewelry: Peyote and brick stitch designs for 30+ necklaces, bracelets, and earrings
  • Advent with Saint Teresa of Calcutta: Daily Meditations
  • Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy - Member Book
  • Rachel & Leah - Bible Study Book: What Two Sisters Teach Us about Combating Comparison
  • The Polymer Clay Techniques Book
  • The Heart of the Artist: A Character-Building Guide for You and Your Ministry Team
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle