Start by marking “Beauty & the Beast: A Pop-up Book of the Classic Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
Beauty & the Beast: A Pop-up Book of the Classic Fairy Tale

Beauty & the Beast: A Pop-up Book of the Classic Fairy Tale

4.59  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Even more innovative than his last, Robert Sabuda will captivate all with his latest pop-up masterpiece, Beauty & the Beast!

True love blooms in this three-dimensional adaptation of a beloved fairy tale. Amazing paper structures and classically styled artwork lead readers through a magical tale. Magnificent pop-ups of a life-like Beast, a mysterious castle and a specta
Published October 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Beauty & the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty & the Beast

Fefs Messina
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
This beautifully illustrated book was a Christmas present from my boyfriend.
This is the pearl of my collection of Beauty and the Beast illustrated picture books. The pop-ups are great, especially the second one and the last one.
Ashley (CocoaRhymes)
I almost gave it four stars because I didn't want it to end 😭
It was such a beautiful book and they were very clever about how they hid the full story throughout the pages. I just wish I could have seen what happened to her sisters, brothers, and father
Aga
Jun 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too delicate for children. I did not appreciate the way the book is written.
Deborah Paige-Jackson
This is a beautiful book of the well know fairytale, now adapted in full length movie. The pop-ups were detailed and imaginative. Children will love how it brings the story to life. The story however is a little different from the animated version that came out in 1991 but it was still an excellent read.
Tasha
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sabuda has outdone himself with this pop-up rendition of the classic Beauty and the Beast story. Each double-page spread opens with a large pop-up that is amazing in its complexity. Also on each page behind smaller pages, the story is told through text and smaller pop-ups that may be more diminutive but are just as lovely as the larger ones. Sabuda’s retelling of the tale reads aloud well, offering a sturdy structure to build from. While it may not be particularly poetic in tone, the text will c ...more
Sharon Dillon
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
I read this for week 9 fairy tales. This is a classic collectible pop-up picture book. This story the father has 3 sons and 3 daughters and Beauty is the youngest and most beautiful. Her sisters are jealous of her and care more for material things as in other versions and Beauty is compassionate and hard working. The rest of the story is similar in that the father goes off to try and make money and gets lost in a forest ending up at the Beasts castle. The beast was a great host to the father unt ...more
Breon Randon
My sweet boyfriend gave me a whole slew of Sabuda's pop-up books for Christmas one year, but they have regrettably sat on a shelf for a bit as I did the whole new mom thing.
About a week ago my not-quite-2-year-old beelined for my treasures, shouting Booo -bee??? ! BOOO BEEEE! I had no idea what she was screaming about but sprinted to catch up and save my books. Then I realized she was tugging at my Beauty and the Beast book, and I figured, why not?No idea how she knew about Beauty and the Beast
Jessica
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january
This is an absolutely beautiful book. There are only a few pages but the pages are not only packed full of the story but the pictures as well. It is a wonderfully illustrated pop-up book, one of the most amazing that I've ever seen. There is the main image that pops out on each page but in addition to that, there are other flaps that you open and find even more amazing images. One of my favorite parts about the book is that there are images that you pull toward you from the book and they create ...more
Alyssa
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january
I have never read a pop-up book that compares to the gorgeous work in Sabuda’s Beauty & the Beast. I was fascinated by the colors, and the beautiful pop-ups themselves. My favorite part was the long hallways in the first few pages. I was not expecting anything so detailed, and I was happily surprised! The story followed the classical version of Beauty and the Beast with the addition of fabulous artwork. I cannot say enough how much I love the pop-ups in this book! The only warning I would gi ...more
Phair
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a few pop-ups in my B&B collection but this is by far the most elaborate. A few of the effects in my copy did not work perfectly (ex the table scene never unfolds fully without help). Beast is more or less a blue dragon-like creature with a long scaly tail and horns. The story is told in fold-out side panels that themselves include smaller pop-up elements. I particularly like the way you can make Beast transform into the prince. While I didn't swoon over the almost cartoonish style o ...more
Maria
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after being amazed by the pop up images and standing in awe in the bookshop! My mentor wanted me to use this story to look at characters in a fairy tale. This traditional story comes to life with amazing pop ups and images. The children in my class absolutely loved seeing these images and it was a great way of discussing the characters appearance and the setting. I would recommend this if you are looking at fairy tales, the images really help to make the story life like and ai ...more
Lexi
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was rather amazing and I was very impressed with the artwork and skill shown in the pop-ups. Not only the artwork but the retelling was also a wonderful retelling. Because my older sister's favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast I have heard many retellings and this by far was one of the best, mainly because of how nicely Sabuda flows his words together and connects them to the pop-ups. This is definitely a good book to use when trying to get a visual child to connect with a book, ...more
Madison
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-classic-fairy
I just love popup books! The story really just seems to come to life through the different openings and 3-D pictures there are. I really enjoyed this particular one because it contained so much of the original story of the Beauty and the Beast. It's nice to have such a big back story or the family's decline from wealth to poverty. I was a little sad at how bratty her sisters were to her. Sometimes it makes me feel sad at how mean authors make women seem.
Kara
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Can I give more than 5 stars please? Like, maybe, 50?

It is a wonderful retelling of the Beauty and the Beast tale portrayed with a wonderfully creative and amazing technical skill of pop us throughout.

You can spend ages playing with all the features, looking into the rooms of the castle,making people move, and admiring the level of detail Sabuda put in.
Breanna
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
The pop ups in this book were amazing and kept my attention for a long time. There was just so much to look and and explore on top of reading the story that I could sit down with this book for a long time and not get bored. You would have to be careful having this book in a classroom though because it can be ruined easily.
Kiera Marsh
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very fun and unique telling of the beauty and the beast fairytale. The pop ups and pictures lend a fun and wild side to the story. The combination of these plus the storylines make this retelling of the story a wild but fun ride from beginning to end.
Kenia Lopez
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius art work! A true love story on a three-dimensional adaptation that can amaze not only kids but every reader of any age. Magnificent pop-ups of a life-like Beast, that really brings to life the classical fairy tale. I think this book is a masterpiece, a must have for kids.
Merinda
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book were amazing and very unique! This is the best pop up book I've ever read and presented the story in such a beautiful way. If the story itself doesn't grab your attention right away, the interactive pages will!
Madeline O'Rourke
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read
This rendition of Beauty & the Beast is lovely and the pop up art is incredible. The detail and vibrancy of colours make for a beautiful, beautiful storybook. Definitely a worthwhile buy for anyone who is a big fan of Beauty and the Beast.
Liz Carrillo
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
this book version of the fairy tale was really good. i absolutely loved it. they just add more of how the princess is, and the author makes her seem so happy to be there. I also liked how the author adds the brothers and the author illustrates them as protective.
Katrina
Beautiful. Some creative things that are new to this book (love the hallways!) The first fairy tale one I've gotten and that's a really good fit, since he can tell the whole story rather than just show highlights (like when it's an adapted book).
Nicole Packer
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is truly incredible. When I opened the first page and saw the amazing pictures, I was in immediate awe. The illustrations in the book are just amazing! This book is definitely a book I would want in my classroom when I become a teacher. So incredible!!
Tatelyn Graves
This book was amazing! I have read pop up books before..... but this book by far blew my mind! It was so intricate and detailed for a children pop up book and even for it being a children's book it was so entertaining and kept me looking at it for a good 30 minutes! I really enjoyed it.
Emily
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my best friend for her birthday and the best part was that I got to read it before she gets it. This book is gorgeous and a fantastic retelling of one of my favorite fairy tales. Every page literally had me "ohhh"-ing and "ahhh"-ing.
Heather Rubert
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The most beautiful pop-up book I have ever seen. Follows the old original tale more closely than most I've seen.
Robin
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-up-books
There are very few pop-up books that I come across and do not like. If I don't like them, I don't buy them but this one is a beautiful adaptation of a classic fairy tale.
Debi
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book. I enjoyed reading it.
Missie Kay
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-ups
Sabuda never disappoints, and the stained-glass look of the art makes this even more beautiful than his average (if that's possible).
Destiny
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, there was a lot going on as far was the book but the art and intricacy of the pop up was spectacular. The story really jumped out at you with dark colors to tell the story of beauty.
Samantha Westall
Beautiful pop-up retelling of the the classic fairy-tale Beauty and the Beast.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-A-Zoo
  • 600 Black Spots
  • Hurty Feelings
  • Disney Princess: A Magical Pop-Up World (Pop Up Books)
  • Ain't Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
  • ABC3D
  • My Big Animal Book
  • Creature Carnival
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Best-Loved Folktales of the World
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Listen to the Nightingale (Madame Holbein's, #2)
  • Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women
  • Moby-Dick: A Pop-Up Book
  • Once Upon a Royal Superbaby
Robert Sabuda is internationally acclaimed for his stunning pop-up books, including America the Beautiful and The 12 Days of Christmas. He is also the illustrator of Chanukah Lights by Michael J. Rosen. Robert Sabuda lives in New York City.
More about Robert Sabuda...