Start by marking “The Adventure of the Devil's Foot” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of the Devil's Foot

The Adventure of the Devil's Foot

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  858 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot is a short Sherlock Holmes detective story written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It was published in 1910 and set in 1897 taking place in Cornwall where Sherlock Holmes is taking a holiday because he has been pushing himself too hard. But as with any great detective murder follows him through the countryside, and there is naturally a murder t ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 4th 1917)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure of the Devil's Foot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventure of the Devil's Foot

Leung Lik Sang Nixon
The Adventure of the devil's foot is a very interesting story by Arthur Conan Doyle. I like this book a lot because the writing is very descriptive and the interaction between the different characters in the story is very interesting. Holmes is a very wise detective and he uses logic to solve the case in the story, and he thinks in way we would not. Watson is the eyes we see the story through, and it shows a lot of emotion in what is happening.
Jeff Yoak
This is another all-around strong Holmes story. As I mentioned in another review, I particularly appreciate those few stories where Holmes solves the mystery and lets the person who committed the crime escape intentionally. Holmes is ever-driven by his own sense of justice, even above his typical allegiance to the law. In typical form, he is careful not to destroy the evidence required for the official police to follow the same path he did to arrive at a conclusion; his respect for the law won't ...more
Collin A.
Dec 17, 2013 Collin A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adventure of the Devil's Foot was a fresh addition to the stories. Once again, Holmes and Watson find themselves in the countryside to solve a strange occurrence on the moor. Hey, if it's anything to take from these stories, its "don't go near the moor"! Anyways, the story provided new avenues for investigations with chemicals but the story was just over a little too quickly. This would have made a nice addition to the the Holmes novels if expanded upon. A good read!
Luciana Darce
Apr 27, 2016 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engraçado que a maior parte dos meus contos favoritos do Doyle são aqueles em que Sherlock demonstra sentimentalidade… O Pé do Diabo é uma história bem óbvia - aliás, Conan Doyle é engenhoso mas é mais fácil com ele do que com tia Agatha acertar quem é o criminoso no final - mas eu gosto da idéia de Sherlock Holmes tirando férias na Cornualha e estudando línguas mortas...
Bettie☯
Zainab Al saba'a
Another fascinating story. I am running out of things to say about Holmes. He is simply amazing, most of the time :)
May 26, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Sherlock Holmes tackles in a mystery in a Cornish village.
Jason Parent
May 05, 2016 Jason Parent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For two smart men, that was pretty stupid, but a whole lot of fun
Iva
Dec 05, 2015 Iva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock lovers, short story lovers
Shelves: own
Exciting story
Monica Mogno
Caruccio, ma prevedibile.
Roberto Mattos
Jan 16, 2015 Roberto Mattos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story, Holmes and Dr. Watson find themselves in Cornwall one spring for the former’s health, but the holiday ends with a bizarre event. Mr. Mortimer Tregennis, a local gentleman, and Mr. Roundhay, the local vicar, come to Holmes to report that Tregennis’s two brothers have gone insane, and his sister has died. Tregennis had gone to visit them in their village (Tredannick Wollas), played whist with them, and then left. When he came back in the morning, he found them still sitting in their ...more
Rajan
A very mysterious story of my most favorite fictitious character of all time, Sherlock Holmes.
(view spoiler)
chris fidler
Sherlock Holmes books don't do anything for me. They have the same flaw as most golden age comic books, where people seem to forget they have some power or knowledge until it is needed and then suddenly - BOOM! There it is!
This is how I see the Devil's Foot and just about every Holmes story I read as a child. Where does the world's greatest detective get this obscure knowledge and why does he always have to be in danger of being hurt or killed before he makes his "brilliant deduction"?
3 stars f
Bracari.iris
I liked this one, but i felt really nostalgic while reading it. Sherlock Holmes is clearly in one of his most abullic states and it pains me to know it. Doctor Watson playes out as the most caring friend and companion, of course, but he too suffers by seeing Holmes this way.
About the case in particular, it's funny because reading it I already knew the outcome, since I had already seen the Granada episode. I enjoyed it nonetheless.
user12504947
"I fear," said Holmes, "that if the matter is beyond humanity it is certainly beyond me.  Yet we must exhaust all natural explanations before we fall back upon such a theory as this.

In the bedroom he made a rapid cast around and ended by throwing open the window, which appeared to give him some fresh cause for excitement, for he leaned out of it with loud ejaculations of interest and delight.
Melissa Lissette Reyes
Recuerdo mis primeros años en el colegio y cuando en la clase de Literatura leímos esto, ¡quedé fascinada!
Sólo leíamos un par de páginas en cada clase, pero yo no pude resistirme las ganas y lo leí todo de inmediato cuando llegué a casa. Era un misterio muy diferente y yo me divertía tratando de resolver el caso.
Law Perry
Aug 31, 2016 Law Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pia Ng
Aug 10, 2016 Pia Ng rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this story about Sherlock Holmes is very interesting because the case is about the adventure of the boy which he met a devil, this story make me read all night, it is just very attracting , Sherlock is a very conscientious person, after he promise his client he wont let his client down and find the clue of the case. I really like the book.
B.
Jun 21, 2012 B. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really, this one fell flat for me. One: Not an adventure. Simple mystery, emphasis on simple. Two: Jesus Christ Holmes, I thought he'd know better than to test things on himself (or maybe he would, I've only read about a dozen of these).
Zen Walker
Sep 12, 2015 Zen Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good and mysterious story. A minute detail shall reveals the whole mist is a good act n spot on by holmes. Like it.
Elidanora
Jul 26, 2016 Elidanora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buena historia de Sherlock y su fiel amigo Watson☺
Nisrina Azizah
Radix peds diabili
Charlotte
Apr 02, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Conan Doyle is always good. This book was kind of too short, really, but it was interesting. The affect of the poison is scary!
john r shell
Aug 22, 2016 john r shell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always exciting

Liked because of it's ending. Plot was good. Story length just right. Another great book by exceptional writer. Good read.
Leung Hei Man
Aug 25, 2016 Leung Hei Man rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ronak Banker
May 30, 2011 Ronak Banker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very gripping... just cannot put it down..
P.
Jan 28, 2017 P. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan, but better written than I expected.
Robin
Jan 23, 2017 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Sherlock Holmes, so it's still pretty good, but one of the weaker Sherlock stories I've read.
Rao Javed
Apr 05, 2016 Rao Javed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
Outstanding. Loved it
Darin
Sep 20, 2015 Darin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Sherlock Holmes tale

Not completely enthralling, but a fun and enjoyably quick read from one of the all time best authors. B +
  • The Oblong Box
  • Strange Jest: A Short Story
  • Pigeons from Hell
  • The Temple
  • 名探偵コナン 78 (Detective Conan #78)
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • In Darkness, Death (Samurai Detective, #3)
  • The Wolf-Leader
  • The Upper Berth
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! R, Volume 1 (Yu-Gi-Oh! R, #1)
  • Mary's Christmas
  • The Sherlock Holmes Book
  • Now You Die
  • 56 Sherlock Holmes Stories in 56 Days
  • The Paradise Trees
  • Sword of the Samurai (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #25)
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

“I followed you.'

I saw no one.'

That is what you may expect to see when I follow you.”
160 likes
“To let the brain work without sufficient material is like racing an engine. It racks itself to pieces.” 17 likes