Start by marking “The Word on the Street” as Want to Read:
The Word on the Street

The Word on the Street

'Rob helped me discover angry and sad voices in passages of the Bible that had left me indifferent, and he made me laugh at other passages so familiar that I had never seen the healthy irreverence, humor and irony they expressed.' --Dr. David Trobisch, Professor of New Testament Language and Literature, Bangor Theological Seminary

For those who've never read the Bible, and
Published August 17th 2004 by Zondervan (first published May 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Word on the Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word on the Street

Greg
I have actually read through some of this book. The shelf title is misleading, but then so is this book.

In case if you don't know this book, it is The Bible, but not that stupid old dusty book your old man and that wench you call mom would read, but a hip, happening book that speaks the language of the kidz (Fact: Christians like putting Z's on things when they want it to look cool, or for kids. Do Christian kidz fall for this shit?), or at least kidz who have like to talk like a white-bred sub
Rebecca
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
It's OK. It's good book to dip in and out of if you are looking for a modern take on the Bible, but aren't that interested in ever really reading the Bible. :-)
Jenni
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who have never read the bible, or who have read it too much.
Shelves: christianity
Great down-to-earth interpretation. Makes it so much easier to read the whole thing. Although the Bible can be so much more in depth, it's much easier to start from here, and then read parts of the real Bible if you want more on a particular chapter etc. People have to remember that the real bible is 66 different books!
Big Mike Lewis
Mar 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Really cool interpretation of scripture.
Dave Martin
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A British street-slang retelling of the Bible's story that makes "The Message" sound stodgy. For those who revere the Bible's authority, it's best not to think of this as a translation or even a paraphrase (although it often is that). It's an exuberant, creative, funny, irreverent, worshipful tour of Scripture from Genesis 1 to Revelation 22. It sometimes misfires, but more often it brings a smile or a fresh insight into a verse or passage I've read a hundred times before. The author, Rob Lacey, ...more
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I love the way Rob Lacey made it so down to earth and interesting. It was like reading a story book. This book is great for people who want to read the Bible but can't understand the language!
Kera Price
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
to tell you the truth i'm reading it like a bible,
Janet
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Loved this modern book.
Alyssia Cooke
Jul 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, religious
Recently my vicar approached me with a favour to ask, and who can turn down the vicar!? What he needed was to find a Bible for the youth group which was easy to read and understand, but not too patronising, American or inaccurate and most definitely not too 'yoof'. And in this he gave me about 7 different Bibles and told me to go figure...hmm...so you can guess what you are going to be bored to tears with during the next few reviews...

===Boring Stuff===
Title: The Word on the Street
Author: Rob La
Dee Porter
This is a Book for the believer who is stuck, for those who have never read the Bible from to back, and for those who read it to much.

Word is the book that taught me how to teach Sunday school. I had been to Catholic School, and went to CCD, went to Sunday School, studied the Bible. listened to others tell me what their interpretation of it was, and I even took some theology classes. In the end; I was so confused I almost cried.

Then I met a kind old gentleman who told me to just read it and list
Daycoder
Nov 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
I saw this on the shelf of a holiday home in West Wales a few years ago. Knowing the Bible enough to know that it's as much Westboro baptist as it is happy clappy Islington, I opened randomly to a few pages and found nothing contentious. Then I deliberately turned to the one of the more unpleasant books ... Leviticus, so see how that could possibly be made more urban friendly. It was one paragraph, in essence, "This is where God lays down some of the rules, but I don't want to bother you with th ...more
Ime'... Imelda
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lessons-of-life
I've read couple versions of bible, but this one has opened my eyes, thus i didn't stop reading this bible (on the bus, at work, everywhere). not all verses are there, only some of it. but the way Lacey 'express' it made me see things from the other side.

readable, not boring-able.

another point of view of a bible. written in slang-language made my imaginations expanded than ever :)

*writing this review has tickled me to read it again*

by the way, this bible is actually my birthday present on 2006.
Gabriel Wallis
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Stephanie Wallis
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoyed this version of the Bible. It was unique. And I'll probably read it again. Every time I read the Bible I try to grab a different version, and I landed on "the word on the street" this last time. I've owned it for a while and thought it was time to sit down and go through it. The story will always be the same, no matter the version... Jesus died on the cross for us... to save us from our sins! What an amazing truth! "the word on the street" gave me another view to look at. Same s ...more
Frankie Reeves
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this because I wanted to develop a better understanding of the Bible's content without trawling through a complete archaic volume. Although the way the book's worded seemed quite cringeworthy as it attempted to establish a new kind of slang for a modern audience (perhaps I was a little too old for it really..) and in this way became a little difficult to get through in itself, I definitely got some of what I set out to: discovery and further understanding of the Bible stories.
Aug Dinash
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other, favorites
I've really never liked to read the bible, but my sister gave this book to me.(When I declared that I'd never read anything like that, and that I wouldn't like it) And I ended up reading part of it one day. It made me laugh, and understand somethings more. My favorite book in it so far in Genesis, cause he tells about Adam and Eve exactly how I would see them reacting these days.
Sharyn
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Presented the Bible in a new way I would not have thought possible. In the vernacular of the street. Not truly THE Bible,but interestingly presented. Purists will find this offense and I am not going to recommend this to anyone who does not have a strong understanding of the Bible already.
Nickpalumbo
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Translates the Bible into common street language. I loved it!
Brian Garber
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A "relational take" on the Bible.
Mhenryg
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great great Bible.
Jessica
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! It kept my interest from the first page and I could not put it down! I am now looking for the cd because I would love to hear this awesome text read by the author, himself.
Mark Archibald
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very fun read of a poetic paraphrase of Scripture - in British slang! Sends you back to Scripture constantly to see what the Bible really says. Readable, thematically sound, applicable, fun.
Doc Ronny Allard
Feb 12, 2008
Jul 29, 2009
Todd  Barrett
rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2015

• God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time
  • Guinness World Records 2000: Millennium Edition
  • The Art of Letting Go: Living the Wisdom of St. Francis
  • Stride Toward Freedom: The Montgomery Story
  • Ben & Jerry's: The Inside Scoop: How Two Real Guys Built a Business with a Social Conscience and a Sense of Humor
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • Never Alone: A Personal Way to God
  • Unshaken: Rising from the Ruins of Haiti’s Hotel Montana
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
“God’s given your filthy slate the complete clean-up service – even the mess you haven’t yet done. Least you can do is go easy on people who let you down every now and then.” 0 likes
“He moves into story-telling mode again: a servant owes the king thousands, but the guy begs and the king lets him off. This same guy then goes straight round to someone who owes him just a hundred, starts laying into him for the money. But he’s spotted and the king gets to hear. “How ungrateful can you get?” asks the king, and throws the guy in jail till he pays” 0 likes