Start by marking “Il corriere colombiano” as Want to Read:
Il corriere colombiano

Il corriere colombiano

(L'Alligatore #4)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  257 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
L'Alligatore è in crisi. L'ex galeotto, ex cantante di blues, ora detective per necessità economiche e voglia di giustizia, si accorge che il gioco si è fatto più duro, è cresciuta la violenza, le vecchie regole sono saltate e, soprattutto, chi tira la fila è troppo in alto, troppo potente. Per coprire un'operazione speciale i corpi scelti delle forze dell'ordine incastran ...more
Paperback, Tascabili, 209 pages
Published 2001 by E/O (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Il corriere colombiano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il corriere colombiano

Haroon
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The left has been marginalized for good. It’s not our world any longer. For s brief moment, we held it in the palm of our hand. Then they snatched it away again...’ - Massimo Carlotto

Fascinating exploration of the complex web of law and lawlessness in Italy inextricably linked to a global network. It’s a complex world where traditional moralistic standpoints and codes do not feature. Many decisions are Machiavellian and those involved have little recourse to conventional notions of justice. It
Karen
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, european
At this time of the year for some reason, goodness knows what, I crave dark, violent, humorous escapism. I crave pulp, noir, hardboiled, I'll even happily take nasty. THE COLOMBIAN MULE delivered exactly what I was looking for.

It doesn't hurt that this isn't a police procedural, a stereotypical lone wolf private detective or any of the expected scenarios as well. Instead we do have a PI, who works with a group of old friends, to solve problems. In this case, the problem is why one man seems to h
Filippo Bossolino
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Un punticino in meno rispetto all'episodio precedente. Ottima prima parte, meccanismi ormai rodatissimi. C'è una netta crescita rispetto all'esordio della serie, soprattutto nei dialoghi, che a maggior ragione adesso, al quarto "capitolo" ritengo essere stati sull'orlo del ridicolo. Storia interessante che si sviluppa in maniera fluida e ricca di tensione. Peccato che nella seconda parte troppi siano i continui capovolgimenti di fronte nell'aspetto legato alle forze dell'ordine (mi fermo per non ...more
Charles
This book was a big disappointment. After loving At aThe End of a Dull Day I expected much more. This book was clunky and awkward. The tropes were well worn ruts in that old mystery bypass of the detective/recovery specialist. I think the butler in this case is the translator, one Christopher Wodall. He did it.
Grazia Palmisano
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apro, leggo le prime righe, e dopo pochi paragrafi sono già dentro la storia, curiosa di vedere cosa farà Tia, chi è, dove andrà e in che modo avrà a che fare con l’Alligatore.
C’era però qualcosa di diverso, che mi sfuggiva, Marco era strano, non capivo cosa avesse. Certo, vanno a finire in una situazione non simpatica, lui Rossini e Max, fra polizia e guardia di finanza e un affare di traffico di droga internazionale. Il pericolo di tornare in galera è altissimo, comprensibile che l’Alligatore
Allison
Been in a reading rut, as in nothing on my bookshelf looks interesting. Went to a bookstore, saw this, maybe reading a noir would help? Read it quickly I probably won't read others by this author. The Colombian Mule's most interesting feature is the insight into the rules and ethics of Italian criminals & the characters are built on people the author knows.
Mikee
An exciting fast-paced crime novel. A cocaine smuggler is caught and a semi-innocent man is on the hook. Our gang of criminals, working for money from the guy’s lawyer, tries to clear him while staying between the lines and out of prison. Complicated, but a real page-turner.
Rogue Reader
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-italy
Carlotto's signature, the Alligator's first person point of view makes this so real. The Colombian drug trade seeks territory in northern Italy through prostitution, violence and blackmail. Even more shocking is the female drug lord.
Diabolik77
La prima parte incalzante, la fine affrettata (come altri romanzi).
Davvero intensa la nota dell’autore...
Steve Streeter
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great start to a series I know I will enjoy
Donald Schopflocher
Neat subversion of conventions even of noir: An ex-con acting as a PI in the service of other criminals, some of whom act honourably when cops do not. Plot was a bit pedestrian though.
Maddy
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004-reads
RATING: 4.25

He's an unlikely private detective. Formerly a blues singer, "Alligator" could easily be mistaken for one of the criminals that he is pursuing. He's in partnership with two other guys, Rossini and Max the Memory, who have rather dubious pasts themselves. But what is not in doubt is that they have the street smarts and skills to do whatever job needs to be done.

Guillermo Arias Cuevas has made a big mistake. He's stolen 800 grams of cocaine from his aunt, "La Tia", and smuggled it from
Martin Stanley
Massimo Carlotto's The Colombian Mule is one of a series of novels featuring a recurring character Marco 'The Alligator' Buratti, a PI who was once imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit, along with his accomplices Max The Memory and former Mafia heavy Beniamino Rossini. In this novel he is tasked with working for a man who has been fitted up in a sting involving a Colombian drug mule. His case isn't helped by the fact that he is already a fairly unrepentent criminal (who got away with the murd ...more
Zuberino
A huge disappointment. I don't know if it's mainly the translator's fault or if all of Carlotto's books are this bad. Heaven knows, he came highly rated as one of the founders of 'Mediterranean noir', alongside Jean-Claude Izzo. I've read Izzo - A Sun for the Dying was one of my discoveries of 2013. But, on the evidence of The Colombian Mule, Carlotto isn't worthy of tying Izzo's shoelaces. And yet, he's been published by Europa - this one as well as seven other titles!

All the faults of the gen
Equipaje

Quarto Alligatore, e questa volta la narrazione prevale sull'inchiesta. Inchiesta anzi che quasi non c'è: qualche aggiornamento in tema di spaccio nel Nordest post mala del Brenta, qualche generica denuncia e poco altro. Quanto alla figura della narco colombiana, ignoro se abbia un riferimento reale.

Prevalentemente narrazione, dunque. Che gira intorno a un unico improbabile Kg di coca: un po' poco per giustificare Tia, GOA, spioni-infiltrati e svariati personaggi minori (bidelle, marescialli, ch
Rosalind
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction
This is an interesting twist on the usual crime formula. Our intrepid investigators Alligator, Rossini and Fat Max are themselves ex-cons with a strong sense of honour amongst thieves who devote themselves to infiltrating organised crime syndicates to ensure justice for those used as expendable pawns in their game. There's nothing sentimental about them though, they think nothing of employing the tools of the gangster - blackmail, extortion and assassination - in pursuit of their goals.

In this t
Martina Sartor
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giallo-italiano, noir
"Se la parola degli uomini avesse valore nei tribunali di questa repubblica sarei andato davanti ai giudici a raccontare quanto accadde molti anni fa. Ma non è così. E questa rimane solo una storia.
Una delle tante."

Storia noir di classe. Più vado avanti a leggere i suoi libri e più lo stile lineare e senza fronzoli di Carlotto mi piace e mi cattura. Allo stesso tempo sa rendere il pathos e l'amarezza che sta dietro certe storie di malavita, purtroppo assolutamente realistiche. Ancor più che in a
Jackie
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not having read so called 'Mediterranean Noir' before, I thought I'd give this a go, expecting a fictional gangster whodunnit. What I got was a slice of the Italian criminal underworld, based in fact and disguised as fiction - by the writers own admission in the Author's Note.

Having said that, it isn't badly written. It's also a very good translation from the original Italian. So, if you can find sympathy for thieves, drug traffickers, pimps & murderers who think they are hard done by so far
MB Taylor
No one in a Carlotto novel is a good guy; but some are less bad (or at least more sympathetic) than others.

Towards the end of this book Buratti asks one of his partners: "Whose side are we on, Max?"; and Max replies "The side of the innocent." In this novel the innocent they are defending is a cop-killer who beat the rap and who is in jail awaiting trial for a crime he didn't commit. Max & Buratti (and possibly Carlotto) have a different definition of innocent than I do.

But a fun read noneth
Johnny
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid crime novel and a European crime book that isn't a police procedural. In fact it's an Italian spin on classic pulp hardboiled stuff.

The hero like the writer is an ex-convict, and he captures both the fears and paranoia that surround a life after incarceration.

Fun and original characters and a pace that wastes no time. There is no fat on this book, and that is part of the pleasure of the read.
Massimo Foglio
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ormai con Carlotto vado sul sicuro. In questo particolare episodio della saga dell'Alligatore, però, la marcia in più é rappresentata dal legame con una storia vera,come spiega lo stesso autore nella nota finale, e che mette in tutt'altra prospettiva il tema, fortemente richiamato in tutto ilracconto, delle "regole non scritte del malavitoso", una sorta di codice d'onore per il quale piuttosto si marcisce in carcere, ma non ci si taccia d'infamia.
Desiree
Massimo Carlotto's genre can best be described as "Mediterranean Noir".
His detective and his associates are all ex cons, don't shrink back from some unorthodox measures that are decidecly on the wrong side off the law and all three have their own favourite booze they which they drink in large quantities.

I found the book amusing but without much depth or a a killer plot.
Ed Mckeon
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read the English translation of this short (approx 170 pp) book, and struggled to finish it. Something must be lost in the translation. Characters (too many cram the pages of this short crime novel) I don't care about solving a "crime" that will allow a murder to go free after being framed for a drub smuggling crime he didn't commit.
Nikmaack
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably the weakest of Carlotto's books I've read so far. The novel feels rushed, the plot is a little convoluted, and the action is minimal. Too bad. Still has an occasional juicy moment, but overall the book is flat. I was bored more than once.

On the plus side, the author's incessant talk of the drink calvados inspired me to go out and buy a bottle. It was okay, but a new experience.
Stephen
Columbian cocaine makers and Italian dealers, reformed bad guys, corrupt cops all working within the system or working outside the system in Massimmo Carlotto exciting adventure. Fast paced , almost too fast paced that you lose tract of who is who and who you are cheering for.
Sort of a fun read but not my usual .
Dave Riley
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Enriched by a certain street wise noir and interesting because it generates it from an Northern Italian POV. But it's Raymond Chandler approach to life, love and mateship is a touch archaic I think. The connection the plot has to Italian Mafiosa makes it a touch exotic nonetheless and despite Carlotto background as a political dissident, there's very little politics here except as ambiance.
Kathy
Nov 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italy, read-in-2011
This insipid imitation of Raymond Chandler has a lame plot and cardboard characters. I wish I thought that the writer was making a joke about Italian criminals mimicking American gangsters, but unfortunately I don't think anything so subtle as that is going on here.
incipit mania
Aug 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: carlotto-m
Incipit

Il corriere colombiano si sentì fottuto quando incontrò lo sguardo del poliziotto ...
Il corriere colombiano incipitmania.com
Markus Volk
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the books you can hardly stop until read through. Started it Saturday evening during a snow storm weekend and finished it Sunday. Not quite a good one for waiting for the plane, you might miss the flight while reading...
James Tyrrell
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got more out of it once I'd looked up the author on the World Wide Web.
  • Lupo mannaro
  • La collega tatuata
  • I Will Have Vengeance
  • Mi fido di te
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos (Kostas Charitos, #4)
  • Testimone inconsapevole
  • Metallo urlante
  • Tutti giù per terra
  • Il centravanti è stato assassinato verso sera
  • Chourmo
  • Traditori di tutti (Duca Lamberti, #2)
  • The Big Blow
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • Nelle mani giuste
  • Guerra agli umani
  • Attenti al gorilla
Massimo Carlotto è nato a Padova il 22 luglio 1956. Nel 1976, giovane universitario e militante di L.C., scopre casualmente a Padova il cadavere senza vita di Margherita Magello, colpita da 59 coltellate, e viene accusato dalla polizia dell’omicidio dopo essersi recato volontariamente a testimoniare.

L'Alligatore (9 books)
  • La verità dell'Alligatore
  • Il mistero di Mangiabarche
  • Nessuna cortesia all'uscita
  • Il maestro di nodi
  • Bandit Love
  • Gang of Lovers
  • Per tutto l'oro del mondo
  • Blues per cuori fuorilegge e vecchie puttane