Start by marking “John Carter of Mars: Warlord of Mars Omnibus” as Want to Read:
John Carter of Mars: Warlord of Mars Omnibus

John Carter of Mars: Warlord of Mars Omnibus

(Marvel Omnibus)

John Carter is the greatest hero of two worlds! Marvel at these classic tales of danger and daring as Carter battles deadly opponents, warring civilizations and a host of Barsoomian beasts.
Published March 1st 2011 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about John Carter of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Carter of Mars

Charles
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A mammoth collection of John Carter comics. 631 pages, with writers such as Chris Claremont, Peter Gillis, Bill Mantlo, Alan Weiss, and Marv Wolfman. Some of the episodes stay pretty close to ERB's tales while others spin wildly away. We get a lot more Dejah Thoris and Tars Tarkas in this collection than in ERB, which I liked. All in all, though, I much enjoyed the collection and thought it well worth the cost.
Peter
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As child this never failed to thrill. Even now it still gives that happy buzz...
Pure bliss.
Terence
On the plus side? Dejah Thoris gets to kick some a%&, she’s not just a bauble that people keep stealing from John Carter. [Of course, she still gets kidnapped. A lot. Nevertheless, she’s often instrumental in her escapes, and give her a sword or a radium pistol and she gives as good as she gets.]

On the down side, the stories tend to drag like a B-movie where the director has no sense for pacing, and they still suffer from ERB’s penchant for lazy writing – aka “John Carter’s dumb luck.”

I shou
Jakk Makk
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pulpy and sweet like a Danish Bakery cupcake. Tried the book far too young--didn't finish it until last year, but the comics were cheap and easy. I'd read it again.
Brent
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters of Edgar Rice Burroughs in a comic book from the 1970's! I suppose there could be someone who wouldn't like it. Just kidding.
Matthew J.
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a gigantic collection of John Carter comics, and it's....OK. Some of the art is pretty good. Some of it is meh. Most of the writing is in that old Stan Lee Marvel style, where there's WAY too much unnecessary dialog and caption. Some of it is based on Burroughs' novels. Other parts are 'original.' Nothing is all that great. I can't really recommend it. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm the target audience, and I had a hard time making my way through it.
Dlotempio
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
John Carter, Warlord of Mars, is one of the great pulp adventure properties of all time, eclipsed only by the Shadow, Doc Savage and most definitely by his literary brother Tarzan of the Apes. The series by Edgar Rice Burroughs is the epitome of fantasy wish fulfillment: a young man (sort of) feels out of touch and out of place in his contemporary world, and he longs for a world that accepts him as the gallant hero hidden inside. Lo and behold, he finds his body magically whisked to the world of ...more
Jason
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ridiculously overwrought and violent, like stepping into the fever dream of a barely pubescent teenage boy raised on pulp fiction, pin-ups, and seedy sci-fantasy. So, you know, I love it.

Collecting Marvel Comics' John Carter, Warlord of Mars, which ran from June 1977 to October of '79, this Dark Horse collection predominately features the writing of Marv Wolfman, whose prose respectfully and wonderfully mimics the source material of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels. There's tremendous art b
Stephen
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some great art- some lackluster story lines. Some great quotes and amazing panels. Sometimes old comics are just what I need.
Allan Olley
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This massive collection of Marvel comics adapting the John Carter of Mars characters. I am not clear having only read the first John Carter book, but I think it is mostly stories created by the comic writers usually occurring in the period of his first visit to Mars which the first book sort of skims over. Many strange and wonderful creatures and machines are on display that our main characters have to contend with.

The stories of swashbuckling adventure are evocatively told in this comic, very t
Michelle
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Imitation Burroughs that fails to do justice to the original.
Deborah
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
another lets fight through the whole book story
Marc Leroux
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this up after watching the John Carter movie on a plane coming back from Europe. I have always been a fan of Burroughs Barsoom, and I had read the original comics many, many years ago. I wanted to re-read them, and this was an affordable way to do so.
This collection is reprinted in black and white, and the lack of color enhances the artwork. The stories are well paced and the art adds to the impact.
A good read. I enjoyed slipping back in time and reading these again. This is the quality
Marcus M.
While this became a slightly less faithful comic series adaptation of the Barsoom novels after Marv Wolfman used all the material in those books, I think this collection will hit a homerun with the same audience that enjoyed the novels because it successfully achieves the same kind of otherworldly, Sci-Fi essence that ERB achieved with the books. This collected edition is usually $100.00 so I wouldn't recommend it for those who aren't serious hard-core fans of
John Carter or who aren't collector
Patty
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alas, my copy was missing a few pages (they were blank), but they were issues of the comic in which I had the originals. I primarily purchased this omnibus edition to get those two issues (one main series issue and one annual issue) that I did not have in my collection. Marvel's series is pure adventure fare, like much of their work in the era...there were good writers and artists who worked on this series and is well worth a read if you're a Burroughs "John Carter" fan, or a fan of the writers ...more
Rich Meyer
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This omnibus is definitely worth the price tag! Marvel's John Carter series was a fun comic book, but one I'd never think to ever see reprinted. The entirety of the series featured adaptations of two Edgar Rice Burroughs novels, along with some shorter tales. Lots of great artwork, from Gil Kane, Dave Cockrum, Mike Vosburg, Ernie Colon and many more. Well over 30 issues of sci-fi goodness reprinted in full color!
Travis
Collecting Marvel comics John Carter comic series. Nice art and some decent sci-fi swashbuckling adventure.
The writing tends to lead to a ton of captions per page, trying to ape Burroughs style, which can slow the pace to a crawl, but otherwise a fun read.

John Anthony Smith
The comic books were definitely a good subversion from the first five novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs. They at some points seemed as revisions of different stories in the novels revamped with John Carter and Dejah Thoris as the main characters.
Timo
Feb 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Maybe this was a classic and good old fashioned sci-fi fun, that was just the problem. There are "good old" stuff and then there is stuff that is just old. This was just old and time had not been kind to it.
Charlie Potter
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
way better than i thought it would be
Philip Fracassi
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-comic
Classic schlock. Funny stuff.
Brent
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, favorites, fiction, sf
Dave Cockrum! C'mon, Goodreads, one of these authors, the comics artist - more than an illustrator - is the late, great, Dave Cockrum.
Joe Howe
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Did not finish. The forward was great, but the pace of the story was sluggish compared to the original novels.
Sara
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Good old fashioned si fi.
Ben Davis
Joey
Jan 04, 2016
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1
  • Kane of Old Mars (Eternal Champion, #9)
  • Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1
  • Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Under the Moons of Mars: New Adventures on Barsoom
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 7
  • Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 8
  • The Complete Adventures of Lucky Starr (Lucky Starr, #1-6)
  • Stray Bullets, Vol. 2: Somewhere Out West
  • Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Edge of Spider-Verse #5
  • Chessmen of Mars / Mastermind of Mars (Barsoom #5-6)
Marvin A. "Marv" Wolfman is an award-winning American comic book writer. He is best known for lengthy runs on The Tomb of Dracula, creating Blade for Marvel Comics, and The New Teen Titans for DC Comics.

Marvel Omnibus (1 - 10 of 191 books)
  • Acts of Vengeance Omnibus