Start by marking “Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students

Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  319 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
2012 Teachers' Choice, International Reading Association

Here is a complete and comprehensive guide to all things grammar from Grammar Girl, a.k.a. Mignon Fogarty, whose popular podcasts have been downloaded over twenty million times and whose first book, Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing,was a New York Times bestseller.  For beginners to more advanced
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 8th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students

Shaun
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: grammar
A solid 3 stars

I am a huge fan of Grammar Girl. In fact, whenever I have a grammar question I always refer to her site. I also have an app for her podcasts.

This book covers it all (at least superficially), from grammar to punctuation to commonly misused words. There is even a short section that offers basic writing tips, as well as an appendix and glossary.

The best part, however, is the writing, which is humorous and accessible.

So why only 3 stars?

Some areas of the book could have been covered
Awesomepapercup
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ELD class
Recommended to Awesomepapercup by: My dad
Hello. The book i recommend to ELD students is Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students. This is a non-fiction book. This book is wrote by Mignon Fogarty (Grammar Girl is what she called herself). My dad recommended this book to me. He said it was a good book for improving my English. This book is a grammar book. It teaches you how to use the right tense; when to use the right preposition; etc. Although this book is really boring, but it helps me a lot. This is a really help ...more
Elizabeth
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
These books are GOLDEN.
Language study has never been cooler.

Give her podcast a listen, too.
Mark Allen
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Grammar Girl’s book for students is approachable, orange

(From my blog: editor mark.wordpress.com)

Grammar was not my subject. In high school English class, we did a unit on grammar every semester. It always seemed to be the same thing to me. The work was either obvious (I could recite “Grammar Rock” with the best of them) or unnecessarily confusing (English is like that). The book we used seemed authoritative, but there just seemed to be more rules and guidelines in there than anyone could possib
Angie Hull
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very quick and useful tool to remind teachers (and students) of grammar rules. Grammar Girl gives brief and basic understanding of almost every grammar question that I have seen as a teacher in a clear and easy way. Not only does she provide the definition and understanding of the grammar, but easy to follow and understand examples. This resource will definitely be used in my classroom for clarification and for word study/grammar lesson instruction.
Lauren.Bastian
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a complete guide to grammar, this book achieves its goals and more. It is comprehensive, engaging, and interesting (if you appreciate good grammar). I imagine this would be a really good textbook for high-schoolers, especially in preparation for the ACT. I finally know what to do with semicolons and colons!
Tami Robertson
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for beginning grammar. Had to read this as part of my English 100 class.
Denise Du Vernay
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever tried to read a writing guide? Did you stay awake long enough to find the page on quotation marks or dependent clauses or whatever you were looking for? Yeah, me neither. Maybe I’ve flipped through a guide or even read a paragraph or two if I’ve needed to look up a specific issue, but this is the first time I’ve ever read a writing guide all the way through. Like all of Grammar Girl’s books and posts, this guide is entertaining!

Grammar Girl, because of her training in language and
Lisa
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review covers Grammar Girl's three recent releases:

Good writing skills are a must in any professional career, and there’s no secret to being a good writer: Learn the tools of English, and practice. And read, of course. A lot.
Students can use a hand learning the basics — and the trickier points — of language, and that’s where three new books come in.
Mignon Fogarty, better known as “Grammar Girl,” has written several books on grammar and produces am award-winning grammar podcast each week. Bu
Ryk Stanton
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this is a fantastic book that anyone would benefit from reading. I wasn't so sure when I started the book because it starts with very basic grammar, such as the parts of speech, and I thought "Well, this would be great for students but I'm a teacher – I know all this stuff." I was pleased to discover that some of the ways she explains things are the way I have been explaining them to student for the past several years (such as the two different ways to determine whether one needs a comma ...more
IamGamz
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who want's to improve their writing.
Shelves: educational
I loved this book. It was educational and entertaining.

Mignon Fogarty is amazing for the work she does in educating the masses on how to use proper grammar. I am terrified to write a long review on a book about grammar when my own is so poor, but I just had to try. While this is a beginners guide, it was till quite comprehensive and gave a great starting point for people new to grammar or refreshing skills that we haven't used in a while.

I found it to be an easy read and loved the illustrations
Mark
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grammar Girl’s Ultimate Writing Guide for Students is a handy book for students and professionals alike. In an easily understandable manner, Grammar Girl covers the English language in a light and fun – yet informative – way. I highly recommend this book for those professionals for whom English is a second language. The comprehensive index enables you to find the subjects for which you need help in a flash. This book would be a worthwhile gift to any student, any professional, and any person, fo ...more
Adrienne
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: achs
Pretty helpful book for grammar. This was part of my required reading for my Writing Skills class through the American College of Healthcare Sciences. I learned a few things I didn't know, refreshed my memory on things I had forgotten, and laughed at a few of the sentences and comments about the characters Squiggly and Aardvark. I recommend this book to anyone who could use some help with grammar. This book is based on the weekly podcasts by Grammar Girl.
Michael
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Used parts of this book in my 9th / 11th grade classes. Very clear and easy to use. Teachers can pick out what they like or need based on their students. I have not read the whole thing, which is why I could not give it five stars. (I did not think that would be fair!)
Karlan
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10-up
Anyone could use the index and find an answer to such puzzling problems as the usage of affect and effect. The layout is colorful with silly small drawings scattered throughout. Most students will find this useful.
Candy
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Grammar Girl is helpful indeed. This book is a great book, not only for students, but also for adults alike. I particularly love it that I can review what I learnt through Quick and Dirty Grammar at a Glance and Glossary.
Linda
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Engaging and useful for the adolescent writer...
Surin
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read a lot of Grammar books where I actually WANT to read it cover to cover. Excellent read for those who find Grammar dry and boring.
Kat Thomas
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an invaluable book to help you bring your grammar skills up to scratch or even to refresh them.
d
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We checked this out for the full 3 months allowed and then bought the kindle version-- a great guide.
Mike
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the Grammar Girl but don't tell my wife! :-) She explains grammar in a simple but thorough way. Just my type.
Cass
Good overview of the prescriptive grammar rules for the English language. I like her writing styles, and her presentation is easy to understand.
Lghamilton
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent grammar and writing guide for students. GG is pretty funny too.
Autumn Jean
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
I am using this in my classroom and it has been so helpful. It is the first grammar book I have encountered that doesn't bore me (or my lovely children) to tears.
Mad TeaFaerie
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a required book for an English class. I found it to be an enjoyable read, and an excellent book for refreshing and refining my writing structure.
Lyra
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great guide that can serve students from their first foray into grammar, through college and beyond. Recommended for grades 8 and up.
Janice
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-non-fiction
Grammar Girl is my hero. A book any student should own. Great examples. Well organized. Just wish she went into some more detail for some of the topics, like tense.
Ubalstecha
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Written in simple language with clear, but humourous examples, this is book is a must for students. Teachers could also buy it for classroom use. Well done.
J. Danielle
Useful....

This is a pretty useful English book for someone who has a hard time with English class. Anything with Grammar girl in the title is usually a good helpful read.
Kim
May 08, 2014
  • Comma Sense: A Fun-damental Guide to Punctuation
  • Everyday Editing: Inviting Students to Develop Skill and Craft in Writer's Workshop
  • Understanding English Grammar
  • Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style
  • The Curious Researcher: A Guide to Writing Research Papers
  • Painless Writing
  • The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-To-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
  • The Essential Don Murray: Lessons from America's Greatest Writing Teacher
  • Depraved and Insulting English
  • The Writer's Block: 786 Ideas to Jump-Start Your Imagination
  • The Norton Reader: An Anthology of Nonfiction
  • The Business Writer's Handbook
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should be Able to Use (And a few that you probably shouldn't)
  • Rules for Writers
  • The Little Red Writing Book: 20 Powerful Principles of Structure, Style, and Readability
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • The Elephants of Style: A Trunkload of Tips on the Big Issues and Gray Areas of Contemporary American English
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...

“If you’re writing a polite command, you don’t need a question mark. Would you please let me do that for you.” 1 likes
“Some acronyms have become such accepted words that they are written with lowercase letters, and many people don’t even realize that they are acronyms: scuba (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus), radar (radio detecting and ranging), and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation).” 0 likes